PDA

View Full Version : Albion Saddle flocking???

dressageluv
Mar. 17, 2010, 09:38 AM
why does it seem impossible to get a hold off an Albion rep. in the Maryland, Virginia Area?? For 1 year now I have left messages, and not just me, and have never gotten a return phone call!!
Customer Service in Florida was awesome, thanks Diane, but up here ..wow....economy must be flourishing to allow poor business management ...thanks God I love the saddle :confused:

paintlady
Mar. 17, 2010, 10:17 AM
Ah... you must be dealing with Carolyn August. I bought my Albion from her two years ago. No advice - just letting you know that you're not alone. Carolyn is great once you actually get her out - just getting her out seems near impossible. Good luck!!!

You might want to try Bill Wood. I haven't used him yet, but heard that he's good and very responsive.

http://www.thesaddlefitter.com/

SaddleFitterVA
Mar. 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
One of my boarders has a saddle she bought from Carolyn. She has also not had any luck with getting her to come out, but lucky for her, I actually do still flock/adjust saddles that are in MY barn. Sadly, her jumping saddle is too narrow, so flocking won't fix that.

DressageDiosa (Lauren Sprieser) is having a saddle fitting clinic at her farm soon, and I believe that Colleen works with Albions. You might attend that clinic, or at least contact Lauren to find out details.

asterix
Mar. 17, 2010, 03:28 PM
Bill does work with Albions and he is really nice to work with

bossmare18
Mar. 17, 2010, 04:19 PM
Too bad you aren't in North Carolina, Mary from M and M Tack Shop is wondeful!

ethos
Mar. 17, 2010, 06:20 PM
I was visiting one of my close friends that has a large training barn in VA. The topic of saddles came up, her observation about this fitter was the same. A couple of her clients came into the arena to ride who had purchased Albions from this fitter. Their frustration with the situation was palpable, one was in tears. They told me that the fitter was quick to come out on the trip to sell them saddles, but would not return calls after words. They admitted that they only checked into the reputation of the fitter after they purchased and that many similar reports from the region made them feel ill. I am not a saddle fitter but the saddles were moving around a lot and the horses were not happy - according to my friend, their trainer. I asked why they didn't find someone else to come out. For what it is worth they had been told that the fitter that went to Spriesers, was no longer authorized to work on Albions and they did not know of anyone else. I will call my friend and mention to research Bill.

rothmpp
Mar. 17, 2010, 07:14 PM
Sadly, I don't think this is necessarily limited to your area re:Albion fitters.

I love my Albion. I bought it used from Trumbull Mountain (I think). However, I need a smaller saddle now. I have had a very... interesting... time with several Albion reps. Just in the past month alone. Difficult to get them to return calls, what they say from one conversation to another changes substantially, etc... And in this instance, it is two different reps, neither one being the one initially in question on this thread.

egontoast
Mar. 17, 2010, 07:27 PM
I would think any saddle fitter could adjust flocking. It's not like messing with the tree.

it could be that the rep is just a bad rep or is no longer associated with Albion.

For example, Advanced Saddle Fit used to be an Albion rep but I think??? they are promoting their own brand now.

NCSaddleFitter
Mar. 18, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry for your trouble contacting an authorized Albion fitter. I'm in the Raleigh area and service some of coastal VA, but not central VA (thanks for the shout-out, Bossmare, whoever you are!).

It's a very busy time of year for fitters as show season is now in full swing and everyone's on the road. Be persistent and understand that good fitters are not tied to a desk and phone. If there is a phone number and email address, USE BOTH!

In light of your trouble with your local rep, call Bill. He's a wonderful fitter and usually quite prompt.

SaddleFitterVA
Mar. 18, 2010, 04:03 PM
I would think any saddle fitter could adjust flocking. It's not like messing with the tree.

This.

But, I will say that some saddle fitters use some interesting flocking materials. And, I had one client return from a Florida trip where someone had cut a flocking hole in her saddle's panel in a direction that I was taught is not ideal.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what using an authorized Albion fitter is going to give you over any other fitter who works on English made saddles.

I quit selling saddles completely while Albions were still being imported and distributed by Performance Saddlery. It has been 7 years or more since I closed my saddle fitting business, so my contacts are pretty dated and many may have quit the industry or moved onto other brands.

I actually enjoyed fitting & flocking, but did not enjoy the sales for a variety of reasons, and I truly enjoy reading Colleen's blog on her website Advanced Saddle Fitting, because she has written up what I had learned about the saddle industry, and I could have written that blog!

I do hope you find a fitter to come adjust your saddle. A County rep should also be able to adjust, there are a few of those around.

Susie Coffey is up in MD, but she still does saddle fitting. She might advertise in the Equiery.

Bill Woods is somewhere in the region.

Schiffon
Mar. 18, 2010, 09:38 PM
Karen Porter in PA is good and I've had her come twice to my barn near Richmond. She had a big rig that she hauls horses to Florida with for some friends each year and would stop her on her way down or back. You might see if you can catch up with her if those trips are still happening. I got her name off of the Albion website after a few months of chasing Carolyn August.

CelticRiverDance
Mar. 19, 2010, 10:47 AM
Karen from PA is a great saddle fitter. :winkgrin: She returns calls promptly and comes out fairly quickly. I've had her fit my SLK and she did a great job. I've also got 2 friends of mine who bought new from her and her customer service is wonderful. Her phone number is 215-538-1803. Good luck. RiverDance