PDA

View Full Version : Black Stock Ties?

Appsolute
Mar. 13, 2010, 01:30 PM
I was browsing a UK horse sales site (I like checking out the turn out trends 'across the pond') and noticed a few pictures of people riding dressage with black stock ties.

Have you ever seen such a thing? Here are two photos Black 1 (http://www.horsequest.co.uk/images/Davie158TB1Dec09.jpg)Black 2 (http://www.horsequest.co.uk/images/AndrewsChestDressFeb2010.jpg)

I have been out of the competition scene for 10 years (but looking forward to returning next year with my youngster!), just wondered if this is some thing seen (or even allowed) over here.

Don't worry, I won't be doing it! I plan to return to eventing in tweed... I like turn out that is a bit less common!

SillyHorse
Mar. 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
I though I would hate it, but when I looked at the pictures, I thought it looked ok. I'm not crazy about it, but I don't hate it. To answer your question, I've never seen a black stock tie here. But it's a big country, and I have no idea what people in other areas are doing.

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 13, 2010, 06:20 PM
Around here, after they picked the judge up off of the ground and dusted off her hat, you'd likely get at least a snarky comment on your test. Or no comment and just low marks.

I think I'll stick with white. Sure is different, though!

NJR

mtngirl
Mar. 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
Not so bad. But then, I'm one of those who is not a total traditionalist. I wear a dark green jacket, with a pale green shirt and matching stock tie of the same material, or a navy jacket with a pale gray shirt and a gray pinstripe stock tie (the pin stripe is even multi-colored, but so tiny you have to very, very close to see it).

Never had any comments on a test about my attire, but have had numerous people comment that they liked the subtle color combinations. As long as it's discrete and tasteful, I say go for it!

Valentina_32926
Mar. 15, 2010, 04:35 PM
Not so bad. But then, I'm one of those who is not a total traditionalist. I wear a dark green jacket, with a pale green shirt and matching stock tie of the same material, or a navy jacket with a pale gray shirt and a gray pinstripe stock tie (the pin stripe is even multi-colored, but so tiny you have to very, very close to see it).

Never had any comments on a test about my attire, but have had numerous people comment that they liked the subtle color combinations. As long as it's discrete and tasteful, I say go for it!

Sounds beautiful!

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Mar. 15, 2010, 05:46 PM
I think a light lavender stock tie would be amazing! With a dark grey coat!

suzier444
Mar. 15, 2010, 06:59 PM
I hate it!! I'm not a traditionalist, though..I just like having a different color at the neck to break up the solid color of the jacket. I might like it with black breeches if it was an all-black ensemble, or with a jacket that was non-black. But with the light breeches and the dark jacket + dark stock tie, the upper body looks to rectangular and block-ish to me. JMO!

Velvet
Mar. 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
Around here, after they picked the judge up off of the ground and dusted off her hat, you'd likely get at least a snarky comment on your test. Or no comment and just low marks.

I think I'll stick with white. Sure is different, though!

NJR

Maybe that would happen in another country, or in the hunter ring, but in the USA that does NOT happen in the dressage ring! You are judged on your ride. If people in the US feel that they are being judged on their attire, usually it's their excuse. Even in the old days when Jack LeGoff would comment on a lack of gloves, etc., he didn't mark down the test, because they were not required. He just pointed it out. That's what judges in the US will do, but it will never be reflected in your scores.

hoopoe
Mar. 15, 2010, 11:27 PM
THANK YOU VELVET

People who think that the judge is going to punish them for "unconventional tack/ turnout " or whatever really need to get in the booth and find out what the judges are looking at. I guarantee you it is not the color of the saddle.

They may state their preference to the scribe but the points are not coming off. That said I am a "Meh" on the black stock tie. Certainly "one must show a bit of color" - a nice idea, but black is not it for me. A bit too mourning. Were the riders showing mourning?

The rules do not state a color / tone requirement. I clearly remember in Jan Marshall Dillons "School for Young Riders" a polka dot stock tie. That would make them notice. I personally like the piped ones and of course jacquard

Thing is, be sure you are noticed and remembered for the right thing

Me, I would have loved to have had a very dark hunter green shad. Now it is not likely that I will ever need one.

DQonaDraft
Mar. 16, 2010, 02:58 PM
I LOVE it!! I think it makes them look less like a waiter or maitre 'd (SP?) :)

I ride a black horse and I would love to have one. I will put my blinging crystal stock pin on and rock it out!!

Thanks for sharing the info

Phaxxton
Mar. 16, 2010, 03:01 PM
I really thought I was going to like it before I clicked on the links. I was wrong. I actually dislike it immensely -- and I really thought it sounded nice in theory!

That said, go for it if it's your cup of tea.

Go Fish
Mar. 16, 2010, 03:06 PM
It looks like someone is dressed for a funeral or is a member of the Soprano family.

Melyni
Mar. 16, 2010, 03:39 PM
dark blue with white dots. I loved it. Hmm I wonder where I put it, if I could find it I'd show in it again.

Of course that was when I lived in the UK.

But I think colored stock ties are just fine, and if I could find one I'd wear it.
Come to that I wear a champagne colored one now or an ecru. But a pale pink or lavender would look super.

Dressage judges don't judge the clothes they judge the ride!
MW