PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE POST #23: Recommend some riding breeches/tights for me...

seabreeze
Mar. 12, 2010, 07:02 PM
I think I'm just in the mood to do a little spring shopping...happens every year.

I mostly wear On Course full seats and knee patch breeches...have worn and loved the brand for years and years. I still like them, but last summer it occurred to me that I might like to try something a little different. At times, due to their heavy fabric (which I guess is what also causes them to wear like iron), they can be slightly binding in the knee and/or just feel a little "heavy," in our spring/summer/fall humidity.

So, all-knowing COTHers, I'm ready to try something new.

Criteria:

Decent compression but also with lots of "give." The older I get, the more I like the idea of "stretch." :lol:

Tough enough to withstand daily wear, one or two rides per day, and able to withstand washing about twice per week. Honestly, I prefer something that doesn't have to be washed with special detergent.

Long breeches don't work. I have found that Kerrits breeches are too long for my 5'5" frame. Also, low rise breeches don't work for me, either. :no:

I prefer full seats, but I don't mind knee patches, as long as they're not slick as ice. ;)

So...what do you suggest, wise ones? :cool:

ETA: Wouldn't be used for showing, only schooling, possibly clinics...

KateKat
Mar. 12, 2010, 07:07 PM
One of my favorite pairs for comfort is the Tuff Rider ribbed breeches. I'm pretty sure they're not low rise, you can find them at Stateline Tack for like $50. Great in summer and the ribbing makes them flattering, plus the material is stretchy but doesn't show every bump. They aren't long, probably come to about one inch above my paddock boots and I'm 5'7 with short legs :) I have the knee patch version and haven't found them to be super slippery.

buck22
Mar. 12, 2010, 07:26 PM
I am really liking my Latigo breeches. They're pricey but pop up from time to time really cheap, I got mine new on ebay for under $90 per pair. They're leather full seats that stretch with you. They're very comfortable and very breathable, excellent on hot days so far. No sweaty butt despite the full seats, they breathe.

I have merengues and boleros in assorted colors. Order a size up, they run small, but are stretchy. I generally take a 28L and I'm squeezing to get into my 30L's.

they resist stains, hay and hair don't stick to them, and wash up in the dryer with the rest of my clothes in cold water and regular detergent. Hang dry and they're fine.

I find they fit very flattering.

For schoolers I love my cheap EQ knee patch tights, they're like cotton pajamas. Almost too thin, i feel a little naked sometimes :) For that matter, I find myself at the barn wearing my Old Navy Yoga pants quite often :)

Zevida
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:48 PM
I love Tropical Rider, especially their light breeches for summer and their Toasties for winter are great! They do pull-on full seat that you can wash in the machine with all your other clothes.

Tropical Rider Enduracool with the Ultrasuede patch:

http://www.tropicalrider.com/product_detail.asp?p=73

Boink also has some full seat pull-ons, they aren't quite as hardy, but they'll last for a bit.

RolyPolyPony
Mar. 12, 2010, 09:32 PM
I second the TuffRider ribbed - I have a pair of their aerocool ones too, which I love, but I actually find the ribbed ones to be just a cool, and the ribbing is very forgiving :) I don't find them at all slippery, and they have the benefit for being less than $50 and come in a few neat colours in addition to the norm, if you like that - I have some blue ones that I adore!

Now I want to go breeches shopping...

HeyJealousy
Mar. 12, 2010, 10:41 PM
I "third" the TuffRider ribbed...I *love* them!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Mar. 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
The only breeches that really, truly fit me everywhere are the Pikeur Luganas. (I wish something cheaper would be that good, but alas.) I love, love, love them. John Fields also fit me well, but the newer versions are somewhat less comfy than the ones I had 10 years ago. Tuff Riders are nice quality, but don't fit my body type (5.7, slim, short-ish legs, hour-glass waist). And if Kerrits are too long for you, Irideons will probably be too long as well.

trothappy
Mar. 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
For sheer comfort, the FITS full seats are great. There are a few downsides-I am small and after many washes (special soap) they get baggy. Also, in one pair I have worn a hole in the fabric after about a year. For ease of washing, the Pikeur "Cindy" which has a nice fit and lower waist that does not open a gap to your backside when you sit. I also LOVE the plaid Arista full seats-again special soap but they hold up well and look great. For a high-waisted pair, the Goodfellows are super, but you have to order online from the manufacturer. Tropical Riders are OK, but mine, which are old, have a fat seam in the crotch.

horsegirltv
Mar. 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
I ride in the FITS Full Seat Pull on AND Zip up breeches and have for the last 4 years http://www.horsegirltv.com/blog/?page_id=567&category=1&product_id=3

Here's a video interview about the breeches. http://www.horsegirltv.com/?p=377

I also ride in Anky TC XR636 (the knee patch) and the XR646 (the full seat). When training with Anky I found she schooled in the knee patch and wore full seats at the competitions so I followed suit as their knee patch is quite comfy for daily riding. I wear them to work as well so mostly all day between HorseGirlTVĀ® work, training and then back to the office. You'll be able to get these breeches in the states in about a month.

FITS MSRP is about $210-260 and Anky TC XR646 is about $280 (or so I think as I'm not really positive of USA pricing).

Hope that helps!

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 13, 2010, 10:24 PM
What am I? 4th for Tuff Riders?
I have both the ribbed (in blue too, ha!), and the aerocool, AND the winter breeches.
honestly, i dont buy anything else now. They hold up great, allow support but stretch, they dont have that supid low rise (seriously, no one wants to see your butt crack or your muffin tops), and you can get conservative colors for show, or get creative.

in_the_zone
Mar. 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
The Tuff Riders with the ribbed fabric for me also. I have 4 pairs! It's all I wear in the spring, summer, and fall. I ride 3-7 horses a day. The have lasted a long time for me, but even if you do rip or wear them out they aren't expensive to replace. A fellow trainer and dear friend also swears by them. They have a zip pocket perfect for a cell phone too.

Valentina_32926
Mar. 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
These fit your criteria for wear, washing and summer comfort, plus the price is good at $80/pair:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-3559&ids=639204360&bhcd2=1268670227

mypaintwattie
Mar. 15, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have a few pairs of tuff riders- both the ribbed and aerocool. I find that the aerocool ones are nice and light, but a little too thin for my taste- if you're not careful you can end up with dreaded VPL:lol:

I love my Irideon breeches- I have the ribbed ones and they are super comfortable even in the heat of summer, wear like iron, and have enough compression to hold it all in! I also like the Tailored Sportsman TS breeches- the cotton ones that are machine washable. They are very comfy and come in a bazillion colors! I also have a super old pair of Dover's Riding Sport brand full seats- except for being a bit faded they are still going strong at probably 10 years old.

seabreeze
Mar. 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! Now I'm really having a difficult time deciding! LOL! Maybe I should just order a pair of each, try them on, and keep the one(s) I like best! :lol:

I welcome more suggestions :)

2greyhorses
Mar. 16, 2010, 01:32 AM
I bought a bunch of Irideons a few years back and they have held up well, the ribbed breeches anyways (the smooth tights get a bit pill-y on the contact points). One thing I have to say about Irideon is that aside form being comfy and holding up well, I think they really flatter the female form compared to some of the others I tried. When I bought my 5 pair back when, I was wanting to impress a cute horse guy who liked me at the time (guilty admission). After reading this thread I am ready to try the tuff riders though!! The seem best-loved by far on this thread.

My instructor was telling me about this stuff you can put on your saddle that makes it nice and grippy, even if your breeches aren't being grippy for ya. I think you have to get it on-line. I will have to ask her the name of the product.

seabreeze
Apr. 1, 2010, 12:35 PM
I just bought a couple of pairs of the Tropical Rider pull-on ultragrip knee patch breeches--one Enduracool and one Tropix. They were 1/2 price from their clearance inventory and then were discounted an additional 20% as part of the Tropical Rider Easter sale. Couldn't pass that up! I figured for $28 a pair, it was a great way to try something new. If I like them, I'll order a pair of full seats!

I'll let you know what I think when I get them...thanks again :)

echodecker
Apr. 3, 2010, 11:58 AM
I can't recommend these enough! They have the ribbing, compression, stretch and are forgiving of a little cellulite, etc. Not low rise, wash in the normal machine and you can even tumble dry them (although I don't do it all the time). They run about 110 for the fullseats, but you can find them on sale for less or hit the VTO sales!

I also like the pair of Irideon Cadence full seats I bought at Christmas time, they do run very long (I'm 6 ft tall and all leg, and the longs are actually long on me!) But the full seat is very nice, I think they are slightly less breathable than the Kerrits microcords.

I will be the oddball and say I DO NOT like the Tuff Rider ribbed fullseats. I think the knee patch ones are fine, if you like knee patches, but I tried on a pair of the full seats after many recommendations and HOLY DIAPER BUTT! I did not like the way they bagged up in the rear!

I would definitely try the tuff rider fullseats on before you buy them! Also, I am not a fan of the other Kerrits breeches, but the microcords have a lovely feel and fit (and no squeaking!)

preferred
Apr. 3, 2010, 03:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aanstadt-Das-Deerskin-Riding-Breech-BkPRO-BkFS-DblClovr_W0QQitemZ150417864635QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23059a77bb

this a link to Sonja's aanstadt das riding tights. For the same $$ she will custom size them for you.

whitewolfe001
Apr. 5, 2010, 02:21 PM
I have to say I'm surprised at the number of Tuffrider ribbed recommendations. I used to work in a tack shop and we didn't sell many. They seemed to have a weird fit. They certainly didn't work for me at all, just hit in all the wrong spots. And they were embarassingly thin.

But that was several years ago so maybe they've improved the design?

My summer breeches are the Equissentials pull on tights with the little rubber horsies all over the butt in lieu of full seats. Yes I get teased about them but they are so comfortable! I tend to really like super stretchy pull on breeches - the more tailored, thicker fabric breeches never seem to fit right. But my little rubber horsies are starting to get worn and slick and not grippy anymore so I guess I'll be shopping for summer breeches too. :-)

2greyhorses, there are several different products for grip in the saddle. Sadl-Tite, german brand spray version, etc. I've never tried them, but I imagine they must be great especially when you have a new pair of boots, or riding in a slick saddle. Or for cross country - we sold a lot to the eventers. :-)

mypaintwattie...dare I ask... what is VPL?

esdressage
Apr. 5, 2010, 03:53 PM
I love the Equissentials pull-on tights for schooling because they are so comfy, stretchy, breathable, and the full seat deerskins are just wonderful. I have found several pairs on ebay at great prices. The knee-patch ones are great too.

HenryisBlaisin'
Apr. 5, 2010, 04:47 PM
I also love the Tuff Rider ribbed breeches. They seem to hold up well, the material is nice and stretchy and easy to move in, and they're super comfortable. They're inexpensive, too-my tack shop can special order them for me in lots of colors for $54.95 (that's about $15 less than Dover!). I did not like the Aerocools-too thin, not stretchy enough and runs MUCH smaller than the other TR breeches I have in the same size.

I also like Devon Aires for everyday schooling. The seat is sewn over the breech and so doesn't stretch out. Plus, they seem to last about forever-a big plus. I got a pair of full-seat schooling tights on TOTD for $30-they are thinner than I love, but in the summer here, for the price, they'll do (even if they do have little horses on the butt).

seabreeze
Apr. 10, 2010, 11:45 AM
I ended up ordering the Tropical Riders. It gets VERY humid and muggy here in the summer, so I figured I'd give them a try (plus, I found a killer sale).

What can I say? I LOVE THEM! I ended up with two pairs of the Tropix knee patch ultragrips and one pair of the Enduracool full seat utragrips. I love them! Did I say that already?

Both the Tropix and the Enduracools are very stretchy--no binding or pulling whatsoever. They are extremely comfortable. We had a couple of days of hot weather (90+), and I wore the Tropix...no heavy, wet feeling like in many breeches. It almost feels as if you're not wearing anything. :eek: They seem very well made.

Interestingly enough, despite their very generous "give" and lightweightness, they hide the lumps very well (of course, I only got navy and black...standard for me).

As for Tropical Rider's customer service? Stellar! I ordered my breeches on Thursday, April 1st, and they were in my mailbox on Saturday morning, April 3rd. I had ordered one pair of Enduracool knee patch and one pair of Tropix knee patch, but they accidentally sent both Tropix. I contacted them and told them that I would keep both pairs if they would send me a pair of the Enduracool full seats for the Easter sale price with free shipping. They gladly obliged, and I ended up with 3 pairs of breeches for $106 (including shipping for the first two pairs).

I will definitely be doing business with them again!