PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that need a new helmet...

inca
Mar. 12, 2010, 09:59 AM
Equine Source is having a deal that if you take the Ride On helmet pledge, you get 10% off your next helmet purchase. And they have free shipping on orders over $200.

I ordered a Charles Owen AYR8 last night and it ended up costing $296.96.

I have committed to wearing a helmet every ride, instead of my normal "only on young horses, silly horses, horses I don't know or when jumping." Thought if I invested in a nice helmet, that will make it easier to keep my committment.

I am also considering investing in a Charles Owen JR8 so I can keep one in the trailer and one in the barn so I am never without one if I forget where I used it last.

magienoire
Mar. 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the hot tip! I needed a new helmet this year anyway, before all of the attention that has come from the recent injuries. I haven't bought one for 5 years, and when I found out that the only thing that fit was a CO model, I was not prepared for the sticker shock!

Off to go shopping.....

dalpal
Mar. 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
Wasn't impressed with Equine Source's service in the least. I tried buying something on closeout a few weeks ago. Granted, I used a coupon that apparently you couldn't use on blowouts (but the site took it, charged me the amount minus 5.00 for the coupon)....Equine Source took the liberty of charging my credit card the extra 5.00 without my consent. When I called them, the person on the other end copped a major attitude with me...basically said...You know, we have only 2 of these left, you can take it or leave it. I told them to leave it.

My husband was appauled at the CC situation and told me to complain...unfortantely, I was dealing with one of the store owners. :no:

They did however decide I was no longer worthy of their email updates..took me off their list. :lol:

Just an FYI.

SillyHorse
Mar. 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
Wasn't impressed with Equine Source's service in the least. I tried buying something on closeout a few weeks ago. Granted, I used a coupon that apparently you couldn't use on blowouts (but the site took it, charged me the amount minus 5.00 for the coupon)....Equine Source took the liberty of charging my credit card the extra 5.00 without my consent. When I called them, the person on the other end copped a major attitude with me...basically said...You know, we have only 2 of these left, you can take it or leave it. I told them to leave it.

My husband was appauled at the CC situation and told me to complain...unfortantely, I was dealing with one of the store owners. :no:

They did however decide I was no longer worthy of their email updates..took me off their list. :lol:

Just an FYI.
Aw, poor dalpal. Your heart must be breaking. :lol:

qgirl45
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:16 PM

Just an FYI.

I have dealt with this company many times and have never had any problems. I also thought there customer service was great..maybe you just caught them on a bad day? I checked out the helmet deal..I do think that is a great idea!

PortPonies
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm on the opposite side of the "buy a more expensive helmet" equation -- I bought a bit on the pricey side because I loved the fit, but now realize that it makes me needlessly reluctant to replace my helmet after a fall. (Well, one fall, where the helmet only hit the dust because after I fell on my butt, I flopped back on the dirt in disgust before dusting off and getting back on.)

Now I know why they call them "schooling helmets" -- and the next time I'm at the tack shop to find a good fit, I'm getting several and saving the expensive helmet for showing!

paintlady
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm on the opposite side of the "buy a more expensive helmet" equation -- I bought a bit on the pricey side because I loved the fit, but now realize that it makes me needlessly reluctant to replace my helmet after a fall. (Well, one fall, where the helmet only hit the dust because after I fell on my butt, I flopped back on the dirt in disgust before dusting off and getting back on.)

Now I know why they call them "schooling helmets" -- and the next time I'm at the tack shop to find a good fit, I'm getting several and saving the expensive helmet for showing!

I'm with you. A certified helmet is a certified helmet. I wear my cheap Troxel at the barn and save my nice Charles Owen for the show ring.

pintopiaffe
Mar. 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
Be careful... after I applied the coupon code, the shipping defaulted to the more expensive shipping. Be sure to check all options. I updated it a couple times and then was able to choose USPS which was $1 cheaper.

Still shopping, not sure they're the best deal, but they DO have the new Pegasus helmets I'm dying to try--and 10% off is a good incentive.

mswillie
Mar. 12, 2010, 04:57 PM

I agree. No hesitation putting a $40.00 helmet in the trash, a $500.00 helmet I might not be so willing.

buck22
Mar. 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
valley vet has troxels for a really good price, and free shipping over $60, plus a free gift with some of the nicer troxels, a quilted vest or fleece jacket.... can't decide between the sierra and the dakota...

eta, dakota duratec in girly "traildust" it is! with my free quilted vest :)

paintlady
Mar. 12, 2010, 06:29 PM
valley vet has troxels for a really good price, and free shipping over $60, plus a free gift with some of the nicer troxels, a quilted vest or fleece jacket.... can't decide between the sierra and the dakota...

eta, dakota duratec in girly "traildust" it is! with my free quilted vest :)

Pretty!!!

I had one of the older Troxel Duratecs (tossed it after a fall). It was a lovely helmet. I just wish Troxel didn't change over to the GPS III system. I find them really uncomfortable now.

buck22
Mar. 12, 2010, 07:07 PM
oh no, I hope I find it comfortable. it had good reviews, and one review I read someplace said that it was a pony-tail friendly design too. fingers x'd!

Cavan
Mar. 12, 2010, 11:22 PM
inca
Grand Prix Join Date: Aug. 18, 2003

For those of you that need a new helmet...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equine Source is having a deal that if you take the Ride On helmet pledge, you get 10% off your next helmet purchase. And they have free shipping on orders over $200.

I have committed to wearing a helmet every ride, instead of my normal "only on young horses, silly horses, horses I don't know or when jumping." Thought if I invested in a nice helmet, that will make it easier to keep my committment.

I am also considering investing in a Charles Owen JR8 so I can keep one in the trailer and one in the barn so I am never without one if I forget where I used it last.
It is a great idea to get a second helmet, but please don't store it in your trailer unless you are lucky enough to be able to park your trailer in a garage. The heat in a close up trailer (or car) will degrade the protective material.

Thomas_1
Mar. 13, 2010, 03:50 AM

You'd be better off getting one from over here and paying to have it shipped! The full price of an AYR8 is just £75 which is just $113!

magienoire
Mar. 13, 2010, 10:21 AM
You'd be better off getting one from over here and paying to have it shipped! The full price of an AYR8 is just £75 which is just $113!

LOL tell us where!

inca
Mar. 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
You know, I looked for the helmet on UK web sites but certainly did not find one for 75 pounds! The ones I found converted to about $170 US but I was afraid of dealing with custom duties and all that. And if I needed to return it for some reason, that would be a huge hassle.

I was VERY irritated about how badly we are getting ripped off on the price over here in the US, however!

Thomas_1
Mar. 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
I actually sell them and know that's the rrp.

But a quick google produced this:

http://www.surreyequestrian.co.uk/charles-owen-ayr-8-riding-hat.html

horsegirltv
Mar. 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
Awesome info. Equestrian Collections is also running a contest with Troxel for helmet package giveaway!

http://blog.horsegirltv.com/2010/03/equestrian-collections-launches-helmet-giveaway/

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 13, 2010, 02:15 PM
I agree. No hesitation putting a $40.00 helmet in the trash, a $500.00 helmet I might not be so willing.

As far as I know, if you have a wreck in a helmet and need to replace it, the manufacturer will give you a new one either free or for a reduced price. When I had my accident a few years ago and had a concussion, I was wearing my GPA. Through the retailer, I sent it back with a check for $125 and got a brand new helmet in return.

SBrentnall
Mar. 13, 2010, 08:52 PM
I just bought a Charles Owen AYR8 from David Conchie in Scotland and it came to £119 including £20 shipping. It arrived in ten days or so and there were no customs charges. Total US was around $190.

He special ordered the black/black for me, too, since he didn't have it in stock.

Thomas_1
Mar. 14, 2010, 05:04 AM
I personally don't understand why everyone is gushing about the AYR8. I know it's highly advertised and marketed and seems to have become what a lot of folks want since it was "endorsed" by some of the show jumpers but it's no better nor worse than others that are significantly cheaper.

Anything will suffice providing you purchase with the right safety standard: EN1384:1996; BSEN1384:1998; PAS015 1998; ASTM F1163; or a higher standard such as Snell E2001 or BSEN 14572:2005.

Over here hats tend to be the norm and I'm very pleased to see there's a momentum there to raise the importance of wearing them. Here you can't ride at any riding centre without one and your personal liability insurance invalidates you if you ride without one. I've spent a lot of time saying to my American friends and customers "just indulge me and put it on!" It will be great if it becomes the norm over there. It will save me a lot trouble and banter when I next help my friend to gather his cattle wearing my hat I've brought all the way over from the UK!

Because we've been actively promoting the use of riding hats for decades now and because when you go to learn to ride it's the first thing you are told it's just accepted that it's what is done. It's quite difficult finding anyone who defends the right not to wear a riding hat. When you do they tend to stand out as a bizarre exception. So that means the peer group pressure thing helps when it comes to people considering that hats are what you wear if you sit on a horse. Here it's against the law for anyone under the age of 14 to ride without relevant Safety Standard headgear.

In addition to replacing a hat when it's been dropped or had an impact, say after a fall, you need to check that it's been well kept and isn't ancient and old standard. Never leave your hat on a radiator or in full sun because it can make the material it's made from brittle and result in a loss of efficiency.

In the UK there's about 3,000 accidents on the roads and involving riders every year. That's 8 per day! There's been some relatively minor falls recently where riders have died immediately afterwards and because of serious head injury and despite the fact they're wearing hats. The inquests have identified the following:

- hat more than 16 years old - though a skull cap and with a British Standard safety mark, it was an old one and not to such a high standard as modern ones. It also had a chin strap cup on (they shouldn't)

- 2nd hand hat - which was already materially damaged (though invisible to the eye)

- new hat but not to standard.

Now I'm of an age when the more modern riding hats were first invented.... albeit only a child! My father bought my first one when I was about 10 and which I think was about 5 years after they first came on the scene. Until then I used to ride wearing a cap with padding in it and pulled tight onto my head!! Honest! Don't laugh!!!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/classic-carriages/old%20photos/80158451.jpg

For those who want to know more about hats and safety standards etc, you might find this helpful:

http://www.beta-uk.org/pages/safety/hats.php

saje
Mar. 14, 2010, 06:32 AM
I love that picture Thomas, you were a cute kid :)

Thomas_1
Mar. 14, 2010, 09:46 AM
I love that picture Thomas, you were a cute kid :) Yep.... something went wrong along the way with the passing of time!

But at least my hand position got better. It's bloody awful in that photo!

3Spots
Mar. 14, 2010, 11:40 AM
I just saved a copy of the photo myself. Waaay too cute. Love it.

SBrentnall
Mar. 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
I personally don't understand why everyone is gushing about the AYR8

For me, it was just about fit. I have a long oval head and I'm usually hard to fit. I tried on everything in the store and the Charles Owen was by far the best fitting and most comfortable.

BuddyRoo
Mar. 14, 2010, 03:23 PM
For me (and I'm not wealthy enough to afford to be a snob about equipment!) the CO just FITS well. I have had several less expensive helmets and I swear, they hurt my head. But the CO felt fab. I don't own one (yet) but I've been considering buying one now that it's required at my barn for flat work too.

SBrentnall
Mar. 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
BuddyRoo, if you decide to buy one, consider getting it from the UK. I got mine from a tack store in Scotland for around $180 including shipping. It sells for $319 plus tax at my local store.

I think someone posted this earlier, but here's a link: http://www.surreyequestrian.co.uk/charles-owen-ayr-8-riding-hat.html

BuddyRoo
Mar. 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm in the market for 3 helmets...1 for me, 2 for the kids and I'm looking to save $$ any way I can. They are starting lessons this spring and have thus far used my helmet, but I am not going to share a CO if I get one! LOL

Brooke
Mar. 14, 2010, 04:31 PM
I have a Troxel Sierra in black. Very comfortable for my slightly oval head. Light. Not hot. Really like it.

jn4jenny
Mar. 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
As far as I know, if you have a wreck in a helmet and need to replace it, the manufacturer will give you a new one either free or for a reduced price. When I had my accident a few years ago and had a concussion, I was wearing my GPA. Through the retailer, I sent it back with a check for $125 and got a brand new helmet in return.

That depends on which company's helmet you purchased and how long it's been since you bought the helmet. For example, Charles Owen only gives you a year, but they will send you a new helmet free of charge during that year. You are SOL once 12 months have passed. By contrast, Troxel will allow you to send the helmet back anytime in the first 3 years, but they reserve the right to either send you a new helmet, offer you a partial refund, or give you nothing.

Moral of the story: know your helmet brand's replacement policy before you buy and think about what helmet you're going to wear while the helmet company sorts out the replacement stuff.

thatmoody
Mar. 14, 2010, 07:49 PM
I just bought a Troxel for the kiddo as hers is about to pass the point of no return age-wise. She LOVES her Legacy, and while I think the CO is more flattering, she likes the fit of the Troxel (and the way it doesn't make her head look mushroomy). She makes fun of my CO for the mushroom head effect, but it's just comfy as heck on my head - like a cushy pillowy well-fitting light cloud. I like my IRH because it's vented, but the CO just FITS. But I'm just happy she likes the Troxel because I like their replacement policy better, and the other one she had was very durable and attractive (she has a velvet cover for shows, which I think looks like crap but she luvs it). I do think the Legacy Duratec looks a lot better than the other Troxels - it's truly low-profile and flattering, and that makes her want to wear it.

lovemytbs
Mar. 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
Surrey Equestrian doesn't ship to the US :(

magienoire
Mar. 15, 2010, 11:25 AM
For me, it was just about fit. I have a long oval head and I'm usually hard to fit. I tried on everything in the store and the Charles Owen was by far the best fitting and most comfortable.

Exactly the same situation here. I seem to be extremely difficult to fit, and if this is the one that does it, this is the one I'm buying.

For those thinking of ordering one from the UK, someone else mentioned that they had bought one from Conchies Saddlery in Scotland. Not 75UK Pounds, but still much cheaper than in the US.

http://www.conchiesaddlery.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=385

SBrentnall
Mar. 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
For those thinking of ordering one from the UK, someone else mentioned that they had bought one from Conchies Saddlery in Scotland.

That was me. I posted the Surrey Eq link because they were cheaper, but I actually bought from David Conchie. He was very easy to work with. I emailed him, he ordered the helmet & sent a paypal invoice, then he email when it was on its way.

Zwarte
Mar. 15, 2010, 12:51 PM
I live in the hinterlands and there is no tack shop for over 130 miles. I purchased a Troxel Duratec helmet but it feels too wide and presses on my forehead.

Any advice? I certainly wouldn't want to order a helmet from Scotland only to find out it didn't fit.;=(

magienoire
Mar. 16, 2010, 04:49 PM
zwarte, what I have done in similar circumstances is order every helmet in my size from someone that has free shipping (like right now there is a code at SmartPak) and then try on everything and ship back the ones that didn't fit. You still have to pay to get rid of everything that doesn't work, but for me it was the only way to have a chance at trying everything. So annoying, I feel your pain!

jn4jenny
Mar. 16, 2010, 04:56 PM
Cruise over to the eventing forum, where chatter about ideal helmets for oval heads versus round heads is all the rage. ;)

magienoire
Mar. 18, 2010, 06:50 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to SBrentnall, I ordered a helmet from David Conchie and so far I am very happy with how much customer service I am getting! I contacted several tack shops in the US (some of whom even claim to sell it in navy anyway) and I never heard back from any of them! David is getting me the color I want *and* I'm saving a hundred bucks. Steal of a deal to me!

Puddin Pie
Mar. 18, 2010, 07:06 PM
I have the new pink/brown Troxel Dakota, bought entirely off of color. I really dislike the GPSIII system-it won't stay tight and a rider at the barn came off and had hers (older Troxell, but same system) crack right across the adjustment piece and her helmet flew off. So off to the tack store to actually look at helmets and see what I am getting, rather than just a picture of it on the net. So, back to wearing my older schooling helmet (not that old, but not pink and brown) until I get a new one.

magienoire
Apr. 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
I just got my CO AYR8 from David Conchie. I love it! And it's navy!

buck22
Apr. 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
huh, I got my troxel dakota and I rather like it. The gps system is a bit goofy but it adjust (with some fussing) and now its like its not there.