PDA

View Full Version : Belgian combination blew everyone out of their socks at the CDI Bremen

5WhiteSocks
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:57 AM
From Eurodressage :

Belgian combination Vicky Smits-Vanderhasselt and her Hanoverian mare Daianira van de Helle (by Dream of Glory) blew everyone out of their socks at the CDI Bremen beating international top riders, trainers and Olympians with the greatest ease in the Grand Prix Special (71,500). Watch out for this pair as they might become the shooting stars and revelation of 2010!! Such lightness and elegance are exemplary to many, many CDI riders out there!

Video added :

http://www.topdressage.tv/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=786

rileyt
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
What a lovely mare and a lovely ride!

monstrpony
Mar. 12, 2010, 02:15 PM
A lot to like there! Very pretty pair.

DownYonder
Mar. 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
Lovely pair and lovely ride.

But where is the tension? ;)

Sabine
Mar. 14, 2010, 12:48 AM
Lovely pair and lovely ride.

But where is the tension? ;)

yup- it's a very nice ride...and too bad we can't find out the details about her background...:(

Arathita
Mar. 14, 2010, 01:41 AM
yup- it's a very nice ride...and too bad we can't find out the details about her background...:(

What are you talking about?

Sabine
Mar. 14, 2010, 03:56 AM
What are you talking about?

duh...?

Arathita
Mar. 14, 2010, 04:09 AM
How obnoxious Sabine. Thank you.

Jeito
Mar. 14, 2010, 09:48 AM
Why I love mares :yes:!! I don't understand the last post at all :no:

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 14, 2010, 11:27 AM
I don't understand it either...Are we looking for "dirt" or "halo's" now, in rider's backgrounds before we can decide whether we thought a competition ride exemplified the principals set out in the rules of dressage competition?

Maybe explain for those of us "duh" people exactly what your comment meant?

You know, just to enlighten the masses?

NJR

narcisco
Mar. 14, 2010, 11:51 AM
The horse is truly elegant as only a mare can be.

That rider gave more with the reins than in any GP test I've seen in about 20 years. She did a great job keeping the nose slightly in front of the vertical at most times (watch trot extensions closely).

I liked the ride a lot. The rider fit the horse, and vice versa. And her hands were amazing, sometimes a little high, but always giving forward with the hands, never hanging back.

Coanteen
Mar. 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
Wooo, that was nice. I didn't even notice when they started the two-tempis, it was so natural and light.

Also the commentator said "light" about half a million times.

Lori
Mar. 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
Beautiful combination!
I love a good mare.
The rider has nice, light hands, too.

paintjumper
Mar. 14, 2010, 12:07 PM
There is just something about them that sets them apart, lovely ladies indeed. Love her ears too.

MistyBlue
Mar. 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
and too bad we can't find out the details about her background...

I read that to mean that too bad the poster hadn't heard of this combo before and didn't know the competition background? Or breeding background on the mare?

Anywho...loved watching that. Lovely mare...and the rider seems to believe that you do indeed ask a mare...liked seeing the give in the reins. And the quick finger-pats for a job well done during the test.

Now I just have to figure out why I turn up the volume to watch certain videos...in languages I don't understand. ;)

Sabine
Mar. 14, 2010, 12:18 PM
I don't understand it either...Are we looking for "dirt" or "halo's" now, in rider's backgrounds before we can decide whether we thought a competition ride exemplified the principals set out in the rules of dressage competition?

You know, just to enlighten the masses?

NJR

jeez guys- no dirt or halos- just who she is - who she trains with etc...that kind of stuff- she's relatively unknown on the 'big' scene...that's all. A certain person comes to mind that knows belgian folks like he does dutch folks- because he lives right at the boarder...do I need to say more??

Jeito
Mar. 14, 2010, 12:34 PM

I think you misunderstood my comment. I understood the "duh." I just coudn't figure out why someone took offense at it.

nhwr
Mar. 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
Beautiful :)
Dream of Glory is (was) my favorite Donnerhall son, a real shame he wasn't used more before he died.

Sabine, I got what you meant and must admit that even before I saw your post, I thought the same thing. :cool:

Anyway, lovely pair, lovely ride :yes:

alicen
Mar. 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
I was surprised to find the rider's slightly idiosyncratic position curiously refreshing compared to that of the usual cookie-cutter mold. I wonder who she has trained with. There's scads of results from her young dressage horse competitions, but very little about her. And this website, if it is hers, doesn't have much to offer: http://users.telenet.be/staldegoudenleeuw/webeng/indexeng.html

quietann
Mar. 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
very much not an expert here, but that is SUCH a nice horse. The rider is so tactful with her. So soft on the curb rein. How refreshing!

Plumcreek
Mar. 14, 2010, 08:22 PM
Gives a person hope.

Jeito
Mar. 14, 2010, 10:39 PM
I was surprised to find the rider's slightly idiosyncratic position curiously refreshing compared to that of the usual cookie-cutter mold.

I am curious what you mean by idiosyncratic. No hidden agenda here, just genuinely curious as she rides a lot like my trainer.

alicen
Mar. 15, 2010, 07:04 AM
I am curious what you mean by idiosyncratic. No hidden agenda here, just genuinely curious as she rides a lot like my trainer.

Oh, just the slightly longer stirrup, the higher, lighter hand, the longer rein. There's something so individual and alive about her style, something that suggests integrity and courage.

5WhiteSocks
Mar. 15, 2010, 12:42 PM
Vicky is normally riding young horses. But she has trained this mare herself for many years. Once every few months she trains with Isabell Werth.

eurodressage
Mar. 15, 2010, 02:13 PM
Strange that she takes lessons with Isabell. Could be something brand new because last time I checked with Vicky, she is not training with anyone (one week ago). She had a few lessons with Klaus Balkenhol, who ended up having no time for her ... and then she had a bit of coaching by Stefan van Ingelgem (mainly test riding).. but ever since she's been training by herself at home with her father (Rudi) as mirror.

Vicky was a very successful junior and young rider and then got to ride the Van de Helle stallions (Quavarotti, Pava Jr, Daianira van de Helle). Now she has her own stable together with her husband, show jumper c. Vanderhasselt.

She is a regular Belgian competitor at the World Young Horse Championships. She has another world class horse, China Town's Dream, but a very VERY sensitive..

1997: http://www.eurodressage.com/scores/1997/ecjyr.html
1997: http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/shows/1997/belgchamp.html
1998: http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/shows/1998/ecjyr.html
1999: http://www.eurodressage.com/news/dressage/belgium/1999/yh_circuit.html
2009: http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/shows/2008/08wcyh/rep_6yo-final5.html

egontoast
Mar. 15, 2010, 02:27 PM
Strange that she takes lessons with Isabell. Could be something brand new because last time I checked with Vicky, she is not training with anyone (one week ago).

Why not just ask her then rather than speculate if you are close contact with her.

eurodressage
Mar. 15, 2010, 02:35 PM
egontoast. apparently you didn't read what I wrote. I asked her last week and then she didn't train with Isabell.

"last time I checked with Vicky, she is not training with anyone (one week ago)"

egontoast
Mar. 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I read what you said but I'm not sure that the two statements are all that contradictory.

To some people, 'training with someone' means more than working with someone every few months.

5WhiteSocks
Mar. 15, 2010, 10:55 PM
When you listen to the (German) commentator :

It's completely against the German "reitlehre" to have a curb in the rein..................................but it seems that every country do have their own "reitlehre" these days.:yes: