PDA

View Full Version : Best sales videos

Canterbury Court
Mar. 11, 2010, 01:21 AM
Since Spring is nearly on us AND since we are supposed to have sunshine this weekend, it is time to shoot some new sales videos. My videographer has a great camera (HD, 3 chip, etc) but is not as savvy about what buyers want to see.

Does anyone have a link to a favorite sales video so I can show him what works? How about suggestions for content? I can do the editing but I prefer to have the video itself be pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the help.

xQHDQ
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:36 AM
I've just finished my horse shopping odyssey, and I found that videos ranged widely in quality (and not image quality). I don't have any links but I can tell you what I really didn't like.
Please do not have a training level video for a horse advertised as doing anything higher. If you say he is solid first level - show leg yields and lenthenings. If you say he does changes - show his changes. If you say he can jump too, show that.

I prefer a video without many edits b/c I want to see transitions. However, I understand that some edits are unavoidable or else the file would be too long.

The video doesn't need to waste time including still pictures. Send them separately.

Hope that helped.

Eclectic Horseman
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
I found a pretty good book on the topic-

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_20?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=photographing+and+videoing+horses+explain ed&sprefix=photographing+and+vi

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 11, 2010, 01:14 PM
I don't know, I just sold a horse off of video and had a couple buyers immediately and I did have about 4 stills at the beginning because they showed him showing as a hunter, shedded out, and his form over fences (with a better rider than me). I mainly rode dressage in the video except to pop him over a little two foot fence at the end, because I'm just not in jumping mode anymore (not the horse's fault). I think you have about 3 seconds at the beginning to grab someone so show whatever is the best you have to show. No pasture cutesy pics though.

I agree with showing what you are advertising the horse as.

One more thing. I want to hear what's going on--no music or editing. I want to hear the gait of the horse, etc. I want to see upward and downward transitions both directions without editing.

I kept my video to under five minutes and really tried to show everything he can currently do.

scribbles
Mar. 11, 2010, 01:18 PM
One more thing. I want to hear what's going on--no music or editing. I want to hear the gait of the horse, etc. I want to see upward and downward transitions both directions without editing.

See, I kill all sound when I make a video, because I wouldn't want to hear people talking in the background.
I want around 5 minutes of video, no more than 10. And if you can put it on youtube, even better!

chancellor2
Mar. 11, 2010, 01:23 PM
See, I kill all sound when I make a video, because I wouldn't want to hear people talking in the background.
I want around 5 minutes of video, no more than 10. And if you can put it on youtube, even better!

I agree. I don't want to hear people talking in the background.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
I tell everyone to be quiet ;)

NoDQhere
Mar. 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
When we make a video, we try to show the horse walking towards and away from the camera, all three gaits in both directions and free jumping. If the horse is under saddle, we show that as well. I always start the video with still shots of conformation and jumping if I have a good shot. And I always kill the sound because I think talking on a video, (unless you are doing a good narrating job) is just annoying ;).

If a person is interested in a horse we will do further footage of whatever the buyer wants to see. Clipping, trailer loading, foot work, whatever. These things are not real exciting for a general video, but some buyers want to see "everything" and we don't mind doing it.

Gloria
Mar. 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
Do you show warm-up in the video?

Coppers mom
Mar. 11, 2010, 05:34 PM
I tell everyone to be quiet ;)

Good luck with that at a show! Thank God for editing, we had a woman one time do nothing but baby talk to her dog the whole time we were filming. :lol:

I don't show warm-ups in videos. It just ends up being too long, and doesn't show the horse at his very best. Just a quick w/t/c both ways with good transitions.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 11, 2010, 05:34 PM
I didn't, because I wanted to keep it under 5 minutes.

I did in an old video on a horse I sold out of state, because that horse needed to be lunged or breezed out a bit first and I wanted to show EVERYTHING from scratch. That was a different type of horse (much hotter but well behaved, which I wanted to show). I didn't want to waste my time fielding questions from what would ultimately be the wrong level of rider. He was a big, strong horse and needed a confident person. Sometimes people overestimate their riding abilities and editing out stuff would do him and anyone watching no favors.

IMO, I think you are trying to grab attention and interest right at the beginning. Then if they want extra stuff, like what was mentioned, clipping, warm-up, etc. go ahead in a second video.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
Good luck with that at a show! Thank God for editing, we had a woman one time do nothing but baby talk to her dog the whole time we were filming. :lol:

I don't show warm-ups in videos. It just ends up being too long, and doesn't show the horse at his very best. Just a quick w/t/c both ways with good transitions.

Sorry, missed the part about it being at a show! I was talking about sound in an indoor at home.

I've edited out sound from clinic footage because of one loud-rude-totally opinionated woman who I will not name. And that was for my own viewing pleasure.

Zevida
Mar. 11, 2010, 06:25 PM
I prefer sales videos that show a horse being ridden through a test of the level they are being advertised as training. Even if it is not a proper size arena or at a show, it works well because then you see all the gaits, you see no cuts or editing, just the test from start to finish.

Then if the horse is schooling anything additional, you can show those at the end.

I really hate videos with music and will mute. I prefer to hear the natural sounds of the horse, so just tell everyone in earshot to keep quiet!

No slow motion! I hate that.

Keep the video to 5-8 minutes. Maybe show a conformation shot of the horse at the start, then the test, then just a minute or two of schooling work.

Calhoun
Mar. 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
I prefer sales videos that show a horse being ridden through a test of the level they are being advertised as training.

For the life of me I can not understand why sellers do not do this more often, how easy can it be? Go warm the horse up and ride a test showing the horse's abilities. If the horse is schooling changes throw a few in.

Totally agree no music and please no talking. The worst is when the owners or people standing around start talking in a baby voice . . . ooooh, good boy.

ToN Farm
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:28 AM
I prefer sales videos that show a horse being ridden through a test of the level they are being advertised as training. Even if it is not a proper size arena or at a show, it works well because then you see all the gaits, you see no cuts or editing, just the test from start to finish.

Then if the horse is schooling anything additional, you can show those at the end.

I really hate videos with music and will mute. I prefer to hear the natural sounds of the horse, so just tell everyone in earshot to keep quiet!

No slow motion! I hate that.

Keep the video to 5-8 minutes. Maybe show a conformation shot of the horse at the start, then the test, then just a minute or two of schooling work.Couldn't have said it better.