PDA

View Full Version : Vee shaped browbands - love them or hate them?

AdAblurr02
Mar. 10, 2010, 01:16 AM
crossposting from the H/J board, where odd shaped browbands were discussed.

Since so many of our horses have a very broad forehead (and are just plain BIG) I have begun making up my own.

Flame suit on, :winkgrin: what think you all of these?

made for my stallion (http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Images/gunleather/Browbands/Bearpaw2494a.jpg)
and
for a PRE stallion owned by friend-of-a-friend (http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Images/gunleather/Browbands/AmandoIV_5136.jpg)

I'm playing with shapes, various stones and other ideas. It's quite a lot of hand work

Still, for some horses that are harder to fit well, I'm liking the results. Working on patterns in a straight band now, with a slightly swelled center to put a focal piece in, as well as a pattern with a slight dip to it - NOT like the extreme version Keiffer is selling, that's way too much for my taste.

caddym
Mar. 10, 2010, 06:17 AM
The first one looks like it should be for western tack - I don't care for it for dressage,

I actually think the second one looks fantastic. I would have said I didn't like v brow bands until I saw this one (great braids by the way)

Personally I have plain black briddles, plain white pads.

Interestingly my horse show buddy - we stable together at shows - is no amount is too much with her bling (patent leather boots, multi colored browbands, trimm on saddle pads trim on coat...) and it looks great on her.

dalpal
Mar. 10, 2010, 06:33 AM
Personally not a fan of the V shaped browbands.

shalomypony
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:51 AM
I think they are beautiful,although ,I agree that for dressage the first one is quite wide and bold...........perfect for my trail horses bridle;).Do you have a website???PM me if so.

yaya
Mar. 10, 2010, 08:32 AM
Don't like the V-shaped ones much, although the second one pictured does look nice.

HATE the browbands they are making now that dip down from both sides. They always look like they are just too big and are sagging.

thatsnotme
Mar. 10, 2010, 08:43 AM
I would love a very thin, plain black V or U browband for my girl. She has a very big head with alot of white so the traditional blingy ones get lost on her-or are just too much. She wears a really wide crank and I had a 1/2" plain browband made for her, but that was before the shapes were around. Haven't been able to find a super thin one or one in my price range.

in_the_zone
Mar. 10, 2010, 08:54 AM
I love the decorated V browbands. I am less keen on the ones that come down in a U-shape.

http://www.kieffer.net/cms/content/view/91/8/lang,en/

BVEventing
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:10 AM
Okay the V browband bugs the heck out of me for some reason, one of my students got one and it had a silver padding to it, reminded me of wonder women.
I like a nice simple bridle with padding so it doesn't take away from your horse, but a well polished brass clincher browband is also nice. Much passed that I think you are taking about from the work your horse is doing by adding "bling".
Those who like it and it adds enjoyment to their riding, go for it. My students know I cringe when I see them with it. :D

MySparrow
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
I love the browbands you've made, OP!

All of my horses have decorative browbands, in truth because I like them, but also because it helps my young students find the right bridle. I confess to a secret yearning for leather tooling on my saddles, too -- maybe just a subtle touch to the bottom rear of the flap?

AdAblurr02
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:30 AM
LOL, Mysparrow, I actually saw a hunter saddle that was carved/tooled just as you are describing - AND it has some flashy engraved silver on it too... and yes, it was in AQHA breed Hunter class. Hey, the saddle was GORGEOUS, wonderful workmanship, but way too much for dressage :winkgrin:

Thanks for all the kind comments - I appreciate them and will be incorporating in my future designs! The turquoise on my big boy would ordinarily be hiding under a cascade of silver forelock, so all that bling would just be peeking out :D Plus, he's so darn big, and has these humongous vivid dapples, so he kind of takes up a lot of visual space to begin with - that little dinky browband is the least of it.

That second browband on the PRE stallion is actually a 3/4 inch strap, with the padding (all leather is black) finished width was a touch over an inch; length is 16/3/4 inches. The stones are AA Lapis Lazuli ovals, and unless the light is very strong, they tend to not show up much (they are embedded into the strap), so the effect is quite subtle. I guess the horse's owner/rider used to always show him with his gorgeous forelock loose, but since she got this browband has ALWAYS braided to show it off! My buddy (whose partner is the trainer/coach of this horse/rider pair) gave it to her as a gift. I am very flattered that she likes it that well.

Funny item - the lady had just finished winning her first GP freestyle, and was approached by another rider who wanted a look at the bridle - then said "it makes him look so BAROQUE"..... well, yes, PRE stallion, yes, I guess he looks baroque.

dwblover
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:15 PM
I voted wow, bring it on because I do like the V-shapes somewhat. I REALLY like the curve-shaped browbands the best though.

Dressage.For.Life.
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:50 PM
I'm not a fan of V-shaped browbands though they can look nice on some horses.. I like the browband in your second picture more, and it looks nice on that horse. Personally, I like curved browbands (the ones by OS especially, I don't like Kieffer's curved ones).

joiedevie99
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'm for all shapes and sizes, if it works on the horse. Horses with big plain foreheads do much better with inventive brows. I love the second one you posted on the PRE, I wouldn't put something as thick and colored as the first one on a dressage horse.

If the horse was born pre-decorated (star, etc.), he doesn't need any extra help.

quietann
Mar. 10, 2010, 02:48 PM
I think it depends on the horse. If they have a cute facial marking, a V-browband might distract from it. E.g. mine has an almost heart-shaped star, so I don't want to cover it.

LOVE the second photo (and are those braids a series of short French braids, with the ends tucked under? Maresy's mane is quite long and thick, and while we are not showing this year, I will spend some time learning to deal with her mane.)

o0hawaiigirl0o
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, it depends on what matches the horse. No one uses those v-shaped browbands here, so I don't really have any opinion on them.

My horse's show name is Accidentally In Love, so I did end up buying her a browband with ltitle gold hearts since it matches her so well.

AdAblurr02
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:37 PM
Quietann, a couple of other people have PMed me regarding the exquisite braiding on Amando IV.

I have never seen how my friend does this (she's on the opposite coast from me, in Florida) and am fairly clueless - BUT, I am asking if she will reveal her secrets! Best I can say is that she tells me it's a running braid, done in sections and then the ends done up (somehow - shaking head) along the way. It stays in ALL day without getting loose like a straight running braid.

I agreed that it looks fantastic on this horse!

Melyni
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:42 PM
Esp stallions with their big muscular brows!

I use a dutch drop on both of my horses and I'd love a v shaped one for them.

Do you make them to order?
MW

carolprudm
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
crossposting from the H/J board, where odd shaped browbands were discussed.

Since so many of our horses have a very broad forehead (and are just plain BIG) I have begun making up my own.

Flame suit on, :winkgrin: what think you all of these?

made for my stallion (http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Images/gunleather/Browbands/Bearpaw2494a.jpg)
and
for a PRE stallion owned by friend-of-a-friend (http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Images/gunleather/Browbands/AmandoIV_5136.jpg)

I'm playing with shapes, various stones and other ideas. It's quite a lot of hand work

Still, for some horses that are harder to fit well, I'm liking the results. Working on patterns in a straight band now, with a slightly swelled center to put a focal piece in, as well as a pattern with a slight dip to it - NOT like the extreme version Keiffer is selling, that's way too much for my taste.
Since they are related I just had to post a link to my TOTB daughter in her straight bling browband
http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/IDHSNAShow#5447108746868659938

It's a 16.5 inch
She did clean up nicely:)

AdAblurr02
Mar. 10, 2010, 04:25 PM
Melyni, you have a PM :)

Carol, your girl is gorgeous! What a stunner, and yes, she does indeed "clean up nicely". Even a 16.5 looks a bit close behind her ears - I think if I was making one for her I'd give her that extra quarter inch, just for comfort's sake. Some of these Irishbreds have such a gloriously wide forehead, yet not a clunky head at all - deceptive until you try to find bridles to fit them!
Thanks for the pic,
Kate

AnotherRound
Mar. 10, 2010, 04:42 PM
I dislike them heartily. I value classic understated fine, high quality materials and presentations.

The first one looks western. Barf. The second one does not fit well and the leather looks like plastic, mostly because of the leather-on-leather design. Double Barf.

Its a head shaker for me.

tollertwins
Mar. 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
my poneth is in a v-brow...very thin (like 1/2 inch or so)....

he has a VERY wide forehead and short face.

AdAblurr02
Mar. 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
and also on their website http://www.doversaddlery.com/

I can't tell what is going on in the center - nicely balanced design, though. Does anyone know what this is or where it came from?

Schiffon
Mar. 10, 2010, 06:52 PM
and also on their website http://www.doversaddlery.com/

I can't tell what is going on in the center - nicely balanced design, though. Does anyone know what this is or where it came from?

Do you mean the one on the jumper with the ear net?

It is nice looking, looks like a stone or metal medallion.

However, it looks tight to me, especially w the ear net underneath, as does the dressage bridle on the right and the turquoise one by the OP. I like a browband to have enough substance that it can gap a tiny bit above the forehead without drooping. That way you know it isn't creating pressure behind the ears.

And I do now like V's on horses with larger heads and plain markings. I have one with rhinestones that I bought because it was cheap at a silent auction and like it on the horse much more than I would have thought.

FillyMe
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
I have a Lusitano, so the V's look great on him. I bought a gorgeous one last year with crystals on it that I put on his double bridle. Everyone loves it. So for the right shape of head, I think it is a nice option.

Noplainjane
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty "traditional" or vanilla with tack. I keep my bling for my jewelry. I do like rolled leather bridle cavesons for some horses.

atr
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have a secret hankering for one of those Australian ones with the little shield in the middle... Horsie does not need any more bling than he was born with, though...

citydog
Mar. 11, 2010, 12:07 AM
I think the V- and U-shaped browbands really detract from the beauty of the horse. Very distracting.

These folks (http://www.beautiful-browbands.com/index.html) were selling on Etsy and have a neat kit thing with a grooved browband that you can do your own beading and swap it out with ease.

quietann
Mar. 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
Melyni, you have a PM :)

Carol, your girl is gorgeous! What a stunner, and yes, she does indeed "clean up nicely". Even a 16.5 looks a bit close behind her ears - I think if I was making one for her I'd give her that extra quarter inch, just for comfort's sake. Some of these Irishbreds have such a gloriously wide forehead, yet not a clunky head at all - deceptive until you try to find bridles to fit them!
Thanks for the pic,
Kate

Before maresy went lame, I was corresponding with the woman at justbridles.com about a new bridle for her. They will put together a bridle from different parts of different sizes, for horses with non-standard heads. Bit of Britain will do the same with their Nunn Finer bridles. Maresy wears a bridle that's a mix of pony and cob sized parts, with a WB sized browband for her big Morgan brain :lol: Maybe the Irish horses need something like this, too.

carolprudm
Mar. 11, 2010, 11:03 AM
Before maresy went lame, I was corresponding with the woman at justbridles.com about a new bridle for her. They will put together a bridle from different parts of different sizes, for horses with non-standard heads. Bit of Britain will do the same with their Nunn Finer bridles. Maresy wears a bridle that's a mix of pony and cob sized parts, with a WB sized browband for her big Morgan brain :lol: Maybe the Irish horses need something like this, too.

The browband is a bit oversized, but the bridle is also cut out and padded at the poll. It's the best fitting bridle I have ever had. She has really fat ears:lol:

AdAblurr02
Mar. 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hey, Carol, who made Sophie's bridle? The couple I've seen in person (the cut out kind) I wasn't too impressed with, and padding it just didn't look like it would do much. Padding a straight one just makes it closer to the ear - this is something I have pondered but not really looked into :)

KAte

carolprudm
Mar. 11, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hey, Carol, who made Sophie's bridle? The couple I've seen in person (the cut out kind) I wasn't too impressed with, and padding it just didn't look like it would do much. Padding a straight one just makes it closer to the ear - this is something I have pondered but not really looked into :)

KAte

It's a KL Select
http://www.klselect.com/kl-select/dressage-bridles.html

Padding without the cutout is like trying to amke a to small pair of shoes more comfortable by wearing thicker socks

AdAblurr02
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:23 PM
Carol, I may have to try that cut-back thing. Ollie's bridle (it's a Bobby's English Tack WB size) is good for length, BARELY enough on the cavesson, and too tight on last hole of the throatlatch - he has a monster jowl on him.

I was going to just cut the throatlatch strap on the off side, punch it for a billet, and make a new double-buckled piece that is long enough, BUT, maybe I'll give a whole new crownpiece a shot with the shaped poll.....
Thanks for the idea!

Mardi
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:51 PM
HATE the browbands they are making now that dip down from both sides. They always look like they are just too big and are sagging.

ditto.

avante
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:20 AM
I like the second one a lot. Something like that in a thinner version might be nice for my Morgan. His browband is shaped in the middle and looks nice on him I think. (Sort of hard to see in the photo, but maybe you can get the idea.) I also prefer not to have the wide nosebands on him. (The rest of the bridle doesn't fit that well and the browband could be about 1/4" shorter. He's sort of between sizes. )

Cool braids too. I'd also like to know how she did those.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/saltare/IMG_0009bridw.jpg

EasyStreet
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:23 AM
I like them. I really like the second one you made. Nice work! Not a real big fan of "Bling" but then again my own jewelry is more like part of my uniform... same watch, ring and earrings every day. no matter where I'm going.:rolleyes:

Simbalism
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:52 AM
I like the turquoise one(probably not for showing) on your dappled gray boy. The other one for your friends horse is very handsome. I am kind of a non blingy person for the most part. I think for horses with nice broad foreheads the slight "V" looks nice. I wouldn't ever use one on my mare who is a cob size Tb with a small, dainty head. You do great work by the way!

Dressage-ryder
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:57 AM
I really like them on some horses. Here is our mare at the Hanoverian Keuring and I think it looks really quite nice on her.

http://tamarawiththecamera.smugmug.com/2009-Inspections/AHS-Inspection-Starr-Vaughn/9318219_gga4e#622916925_vs92k

carolprudm
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
Carol, I may have to try that cut-back thing. Ollie's bridle (it's a Bobby's English Tack WB size) is good for length, BARELY enough on the cavesson, and too tight on last hole of the throatlatch - he has a monster jowl on him.

I was going to just cut the throatlatch strap on the off side, punch it for a billet, and make a new double-buckled piece that is long enough, BUT, maybe I'll give a whole new crownpiece a shot with the shaped poll.....
Thanks for the idea!

I also have to make sure I keep her bridle path clipped SHORT
Otherwise she grows her own padding. OMG that girl can grow HAIR

AdAblurr02
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
I also have to make sure I keep her bridle path clipped SHORT
Otherwise she grows her own padding. OMG that girl can grow HAIR

VBG! Ah, yes, that infamous lush Irish mane (and tail - OMG, the tails). I have to shave Ollie down to the hide on the bridle path or else let out the bridle a hole. I think that the stallions have at least twice the mane hair as mares/geldings, too, double the trouble.

I love the big soft ears, though - so nice to fondle, and he LOVES having his ears petted :D

AdAblurr02
Mar. 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
What a beautiful girl! and yes, I do like that shape on her, it accents her shapely head and gorgeous eye.

I really like them on some horses. Here is our mare at the Hanoverian Keuring and I think it looks really quite nice on her.

http://tamarawiththecamera.smugmug.com/2009-Inspections/AHS-Inspection-Starr-Vaughn/9318219_gga4e#622916925_vs92k

mbp
Mar. 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
I have a guy with a big white head and I really don't care for most of the little browbands. At least with the fads for big, padded nosebands I can get him something that looks proportionate, but I really love the proportions on your turquoisey-browband for your stallion. I probably wouldn't show in it bc it is such a southwestern feel from the stone selection (except maybe for a freestyle class if there was southwestern music) but I really like it.

It's probably just me, but the second one almost looks like the tip of the v rubs in a bit on the horse, but I really like the muted pattern.

I especially like the thought that you are playing with of a browband with a swelled center for a focal point. I really do think the big, handsome heads don't have a lot of nice big proportionate browbands to pic from.

Alagirl
Mar. 12, 2010, 02:07 PM
I suppose there are some nice examples out there, but a lot of times I see them at a glance and think WHOA what a sloppy turnout. Until I realize it's supposed to look that way and not a long droopy regular browband.

AdAblurr02
Mar. 12, 2010, 06:02 PM
Ya know, I looked at that pic of the PRE horse and thought, gee, I would slide that down the bridle just a bit so it would lay more flat!. But, I'm 3000 miles from him, so I guess his owner gets to adjust her own bridle :) The lapis was so beautiful in person, I was disappointed the color didn't really pop in the photo.

I know that bit of silver on the turquoise one is giving some people attacks of dressage queasiness, but that darn bearpaw piece has been hanging around bugging me to be USED on something for years. So, what the heck - it looks good no him, fits, and I kinda like it. It is so hard to find things for a really big horse that are not just plain and cheaply made - ie, "draft horse tack", ugh - cheep and riveted... :rolleyes:

I made a wide one of that pattern in dark green turquoise, with a centerpiece of a larger stone set in vertically - need to get a pic of it up (though it went to Florida too, so I don't have it on a horse), as the green was less flashy and really looked nice.

I have a guy with a big white head and <SNIP>
It's probably just me, but the second one almost looks like the tip of the v rubs in a bit on the horse, but I really like the muted pattern.

I especially like the thought that you are playing with of a browband with a swelled center for a focal point. I really do think the big, handsome heads don't have a lot of nice big proportionate browbands to pic from.

mbp
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:58 PM
Don't get me wrong - saying I wouldn't necessarily show in the blue stone doesn't mean I don't think it is really handsome on him. I'd school in it and even show a freestyle in it (I mostly ride in paddocks and half chaps, but wouldn't show in them either). Decoration options aside, I love the proportions. I just haven't seen much that gives a big handsome head the option of that kind of a proportions in a browband - it really looks much nicer imo than the standard sized off the rack browband.

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 12, 2010, 09:07 PM
I think it's lovely, and I agree that the big guys need a more substantial browband to balance their heads.

Very nice.

NOT a big fan of the droopy ones, and the V's have to be VERY carefully placed on the horse's face, or they can look odd, IMO. Also, if they are the slightest bit too tight, the V will lift.

NJR

AdAblurr02
Mar. 12, 2010, 09:15 PM
Oh, MBP, please don't take that the wrong way, I am not in the least offended. EVERYbody has been really positive and I'm loving getting all these viewpoints, as it gives me a lot of food for thought on future design! :yes:

I agree that the off-the-rack bridles, even the very nice ones that fit perfectly, don't necessarily have the proportions to look right on a big horse - on my boy, even his Bobby's with it's wide strapwork looks a bit fine. That's a lot of horsehead to hang leather on, and plenty of space to decorate. Since we are not (yet) being seen in real shows, I figured I'd have fun - shoot, a lot of people love to have "fun" stuff to train and hack out in, why should the barrel racers have all the fun stuff? I mean, pink ostrich leather and a bazillion studs along the edges, wow. I think that's a little much even for for me! :D

KyrieNZ
Mar. 12, 2010, 11:21 PM
I have subtle bling on my browband but HATE vee browbands with a passion. I can't explain it, I just hate them.

AdAblurr02
Mar. 17, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks to all who so kindly expressed their thoughts and opinions! This thread has given me much to think about for my future ideas, valuable input from people who are actually out there looking at nice tack for their dressage horses.

Rhiannon123
Mar. 17, 2010, 03:05 PM
Vile, hideous tradition all the way x

accolade
Mar. 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
CityDog put this link up earlier.

http://http://beautifulbrowbands.net/services.html (http://beautifulbrowbands.net/services.html)

Acco