PDA

View Full Version : 170,000 of 600,000 WEG Tickets Sold to Date

Mike Matson
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:55 PM
A Facebook dressage friend of mine posted this ticket information from her "sources". No verification obviously, but interesting. If true, there's a lot of tickets still to be sold. Anybody else have info on how the ticket sales are doing?

rebecca yount
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:58 PM
Don't know much about it but I did think they were WAY too expensive for Dressage. I had paid the deposit and after I figured out that I was spending $1500 just for tickets, not including the (probably impossible to find) lodging, let alone travel, I sold mine to a friend.

ise@ssl
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:15 PM
I think cost is a real factor. I went to the WEG's in Aachen and my tickets for all of the dressage were about $300 US and I was able to buy tickets to see some of the other events when I was there and they were very reasonable. I'm not sure who's in charge of the WEG decisions but given the economy - they are in for a rude awakening on this event. I spoke to vendors at DAD and they said they wanted to get space at the WEG's but it was just too expensive - $12,000 for a 10x10 space. So they opted not to go to the event.

Regal Grace
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:21 PM
Don't know much about it but I did think they were WAY too expensive for Dressage. I had paid the deposit and after I figured out that I was spending $1500 just for tickets, not including the (probably impossible to find) lodging, let alone travel, I sold mine to a friend.

Since I live in the NY Metro area the WEG is totally out of my budget. I am still on the fence about going to Rolex 3 Day Event next month and the only reason I am considering it is because they are including the Test Events for Dressage and SJ. But I am getting hit left and right with unexpected bills the last two months.

Honestly, my splurge was last year when I went to Rolex because there was such a big contingent of European/Aussie riders (Lucinda Fredericks, Bettina Hoy, etc.) that I knew I would never get the chance of seeing elsewhere and I wanted to check out the new Stadium (very nice) so I took the plunge $$$. Plus there is no way I want to pay for it on my credit card (given the interest rates they charge) if I cannot pay for it all up front.

carolprudm
Mar. 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
And then there is the co$t of lodging.......

Keepthepeace
Mar. 9, 2010, 10:58 PM
I got all excited about going to the WEG...then saw the prices. I have decided not to go, as have all my students. It was actually cheaper to fly to Vegas for the World Cup (from Ontario) and watch all the Dressage AND Show Jumping and stay for a week than to go to the WEG to watch and stay just for Dressage.
My friends and I are going to Devon instead!

SaddleFitterVA
Mar. 9, 2010, 11:15 PM
Put me in the "too expensive" camp.

If I'm going to spend that much money, I'm going to Europe.

shea'smom
Mar. 9, 2010, 11:23 PM
I assumed for the past couple of years that I would go. I went to Atlanta in 96, I go to Rolex, of course I wouldn't miss the WEG!
And then I saw the ticket prices and the price gougeing hotel rooms.
So, screw 'em.

Sandy M
Mar. 9, 2010, 11:44 PM
I had to laugh when Ms. Editorial Dressage COTH (sorry, can't remember her name, no disrespect intended) opined that one should "just give up a lesson" in order to afford WEG tickets. Don't know about you, but at $90 for a HALF A DAY of dressage and $180 for a full day, I could take more than one lesson. And that's just ONE day.. hardly worth the air fare to Kentucky from California!

Yeah, I know the really big names charge more than $90, but my instructor has all her medals, and a friend of mine who HAS trained with BNTs considers her an excellent instructor. $180 would get me three lessons and leave me with some change. So, in order to see.....oh, maybe some 3-day, and a couple of days of GP dressage (including the freestyle)..I'm supposed to give up about two or three MONTHS of lessons? I'll wait for the DVD, which will probably cost about $30 and probably give me a better view, if not every ride. LOL

Obviously, even COTH buys into "If you own a horse you must have loads of $$$$." (granted, compared to those below the poverty line, even us lower-middle income folks are "rich"). Even their touching stories of Ammys are usually about married, well supported, high income earning ammies, usually with multiple horses. I never see anything about someone making under $70K (or under $50K) as a "touching" ammy story about someone showing in Florida in the winter, or just "flying down for the weekends" - probably because those of us who hang in there and support our horses on lower incomes don't get to show as much or make as big a splash as the "financially secure" ammies. Heck, I managed to support two horses through 7 months of unemployment after I was laid off last year. But you can bet I wasn't going to any shows, or lessons, OR PUTTING A DEPOSIT DOWN ON WEG TICKETS!! ROFLOL

Mardi
Mar. 9, 2010, 11:45 PM
Just for fun, I just priced a ticket through Ticketmaster.
One seat, for the GP Freestyle, October 1, at 7pm,
is $140 + 7.50 convenience charge = $147.50.

The seat is in a pretty good location, and although it's tempting, flying into Louisville, Cinncinati or Lexington is a problem (airline routing and connections).

About the vendors...I also heard the same as posted earlier: space is very expensive, and many are opting for Devon instead.

Zevida
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:08 AM
Yes, the tickets are expensive, but it's a vacation and I'm really excited about going. I have tickets to all the eventing and to the dressage freestyle. I haven't been on a big vacation in a couple years, and this will be it for another few years. The hotel room is pricey, but if you share and divide it two or three ways it is not quite so bad.

Geneva
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:19 AM
I remember seeing not long ago an article that said they were at 160,000 so that seems about right. But I don't know how it compares to other similar events at this stage so can't say what's "normal."

They did some repricing on the hotels but I think that was only after uproar and pressure from national teams.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:49 AM
I do have hotel reservations for the dressage, and eventing part, and also the following weekend for the driving marathon. Not sure which I will go to, or Devon. I have not missed Devon since 1994, so hard to break tradition.

Just a hint for the hotels - think about driving a bit. I got a great deal an hour out, and that is what I had to drive in Atlanta, or even just to go to our local shows like the International. People here are use to driving that distance to get to work every day, so why not?

The tickets are really crazy though. I may just decide to go to Devon, then the following week, a 2 day trip for the driving part.

lewin
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:00 AM
Since I would have to fly from CA anyways I could see them in Europe and pay about the same amount AND get a nice overseas vacation out of it.

JRG
Mar. 10, 2010, 05:59 AM
I have to admit, I would love to go. I too think of it as a vacation. The problem is, and I know I am not alone, if I am going to take a vacation I am going to do it with my husband. Although he is supportive of my riding, and has rode with me on vacations, I am not about to make him sit through that type of vacation. For that cost the two of us could go skiing in Aspen, or travel south.

I think that cost is down right too high, especially for a Country that wants to promote a sport. From the ticket prices, to the other charges to possible vendors everyone seems to be getting dinged. I fear the cost, will send the incorrect message.

Something to consider. There are a lot of people that get to see, the who's who at smaller venues like Devon, Gold Coast and many others around the country for a fraction of the cost. People with a lot of money and show see these people all the time. It seems the intended market may have been missed by the cost, or maybe I missed the intended market?

Ginger
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
I think the ticket prices are simply ridiculous. I'm going because I live 15 minutes from the Park so don't have to worry about travel and hotel. But I know many locals who aren't going because of the price. The organizers have pretty much shot themselves in the foot to capture that market. Last time I checked, Kentucky is an "economically challenged" state, and the general population will shy away like wild deer if they think they'll have to pay those prices. General admission isn't too much, but I'm sure the food vendors won't be cheap. So it will be an expensive day in the Park no matter what you do.

I'm also volunteering for maybe a couple of the other events, so I'll get in that way. But another concern is housing for the volunteers. You need a small army to run the eventing and driving marathons, and they haven't figured out where those people are going to stay. It's completely unreasonable to ask them to give up their time and spend so much money for hotels. Pretty discouraging that they haven't figured it out at this stage.

OK, vent over, got that off my chest! I'm really looking forward to seeing ALL the dressage rides, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me.

ise@ssl
Mar. 10, 2010, 10:05 AM
I also cannot understand WHY they scheduled the Dressage at the WEG'S to conflict with Dressage at Devon!! What Bozo did the scheduling? They could have pushed Dressage back at the WEG's so there was no conflict.

RedMare01
Mar. 10, 2010, 10:28 AM
I have tickets to the freestyle, but I'm pretty local and don't have to worry about travel and hotel. That said, I would have bought more tickets had they been more reasonable (and can I say that the Ticketmaster "handling fees" on each ticket is ridiculous).

Caitlin

ddashaq
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
And then there is the co$t of lodging.......

If you can find any. I am told that almost everything is sold out and that which is not is very expensive.

I live 10 minutes from the park and will only be going to XC. I am not interested enough in the rest to spend the $$ on tickets.

myvanya
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
I wanted to go (desperately) and even had a friend offer to let me piggy back on her lodging arrangements (they are renting a house :eek:) for free. But I can't afford the airfare or tickets :( I can't even skip lessons to pay for it since I work mine off :lol:

Coreene
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
WEG had disaster written all over it from the second KHP got it. Save your $$ and go to Aachen instead.

Mike Matson
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:26 AM
You may be right. My plan is Aachen.

carolprudm
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe the COTHers nearby need to open B&B's for the duration

Sandy M
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:50 AM
Sure, I could think of it as a vacation, but my principal vacation is generally visiting a friend in NC, which means my "vacation" costs me my air fare. Period.

My last BIG vacation, I saved for for YEARS, and went to England for two weeks, including seeing the last long-format Badminton (2005). That cost me about $2,500 total, and I stayed in London for a while, went to Bath/Badminton, staying at B&Bs, rented a car and toured parts of Wales and southeast England, and traveled by train from Bath to Bristol (NOT B. Palin LOL) to Nottingham and back to London. The prices for the WEG right here in Kentucky make it appear that to go to Kentucky for a week to 10 days would cost more than half of that overseas trip, if not as much.. Ain't gonna happen.

Heck, I could go to see the Rolex 3-day for a couple of years in a row for what the WEG tickets cost!

Mardi
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:01 PM
WEG had disaster written all over it from the second KHP got it.

Why ? Just wondering.

(also..about the Kardashian girls....their father would be appalled !)

gahawkeye
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
I signed up for 4 four day passes for the eventing at $400 each ($100/day/person). That didn't seem TOO bad, but then the hotel crisis came. Couldn't find anything within reasonable price and driving distance... so we opted for camping.

Found a campsite in Frankfort (18 miles from KHP) at $50/nite. Now we have to rent or borrow a camper, but thought I could do that from Atlanta and drive. The rental prices for campers in Lexington were just as overpriced as the hotels. Camping will also give us more affordable food options -- can't imagine the restaurant volumes/prices in Lex during the WEG!

Campground might also offer a shuttle so we don't have to drive and park (@$100/day)! That could be nice. Word from the campground mgr is that everyone with reservation to date is there for the WEG so could be some good campfire parties! :-)

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
we opted for camping.

That is what 23 of us did in Atlanta ;)

Found a campsite in Frankfort (18 miles from KHP) at $50/nite.

shhhh, but my hotel is just a bit less than double your campsite, and I can cancel 24 hours in advance.

Word from the campground mgr is that everyone with reservation to date is there for the WEG so could be some good campfire parties! :-)

The campground in Atlanta was packed with horse people, but a word of warning, that means almost all women. Those showers/bathrooms are more designed for a 50/50 split of "residents". Expect lines at 3 AM for the showers. Luckily our sites in Atlanta had lots of clean porta-potties around, so horse people were happy to use them.

We did save a lot of money camping though, as our group split up to share shopping and cooking dinners for all each night.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 10, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'm going. Doing the GP Freestyle, a day of showjumping and a day of eventing (cross country). I can't remember, but I think the later two were quite a bit cheaper. I don't think the tickets cost more or less than any other big event I guess. I've spent just as much on concert tickets or plays.

But I'm saving money by using NW now Delta miles for the airfare (which are no longer "good forever" and need to be used) and staying at one of my fellow travelers' aunt's house. I'm sure we will get most of our food from the grocery store--so saving money there. I know people who are staying at motels an hour away and the prices are MUCH better than by the venue.

So I think I'm spending about $300. Cheaper than showing for a weekend (especially when gas starts going back up this summer). I'm super excited.

mares tails
Mar. 10, 2010, 01:37 PM
From the Feb 12, 2010 Lexington (KY) newspaper:

"Interest in some events is intense. Games spokeswoman Amy Walker said two events — the final rounds of reining and dressage — are almost sold out."

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/02/12/1134932/weg-ticket-sales-grow-slowly-international.html

This is before any General Admission tickets have been sold.

HenryisBlaisin'
Mar. 10, 2010, 01:43 PM
WAY too expensive. Because I have friends to stay with in England, I'm planning on going to the 2012 Olympics instead. Those tickets will be expensive, too, I'm sure, but the total cost will be about the same.

bort84
Mar. 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
Put me in the "too expensive" camp.

If I'm going to spend that much money, I'm going to Europe.

Yep, that's what I said. I'll just wait until it's at a cool venue (one that's already built and doesn't need to recover so much through ticket sales) in another country, haha. Then you get a fun vacation in another country and the WEG = )

It was going to cost the equivalent of going on a killer vacation for about 10 days in paradise. Not that a horsey vacay isn't paradise, but I'm not going to Kentucky for 5 days and only getting to see 1 of the dressage events and maaaaybe a portion of the cross country for eventing, and stay an hour away in a crap motel (still at like $300/night) for the price of a 10 day stay at a resort in an exotic location...

If I had the money, shoot, I'd pay for it gladly, but on my budget, this was a definite no.

2ndyrgal
Mar. 10, 2010, 02:18 PM
which my husband insisted on since this will probably be a once in a lifetime (or mine anyway) event which is only 35 minutes drive time away. I got hospitality for eventing and dressage and I'm paying for parking at the park. I'm volunteering for driving, so that gets me a pass to the rest of it.

I'm not sure how much people think tickets should be to something that is so very expensive to put on, but they'll always be "too expensive" for some, and yes, you do have travel. Yes, hotels and restaurants will charge more because they can, but since we own our own business, I understand supply and demand and profit (and as bad as travel, tourism and the food industry has been lately, I don't blame them) is not a bad thing. You have to get it when you can, that's just what reality is, no matter what you are selling, if it's scarce, it becomes more costly. I work 6 days a week, don't go to WEF or Devon, don't do the A circuit. Did no competitions or clinics the last two years, so if I get to see great horses, good riders and the crowds aren't horrible, I'm fine with that. I don't think that the tickets are horrible, and I don't think the average person is going to Europe every 4 years anyway. It's not just about the tickets, it's about missing work for travel as well for most people. I think that their number projections were ambitious and let's remember, the planning began LONG before the economy tanked, which doesn't help either.

I don't think that the event's success or failure has anything to do with the KHP, I think it's great that the US gets to host it and since it's the first one, well, it's going to cost more and have more "bugs" than it would once it's been done over here a time or two. I think that it was probably the most practical place in the US to host it without starting completely from scratch. I think that the improvements will be used in the future and maybe in 20 years, we'll get to have it again. I think the US competitors are THRILLED to have it here, and we should support it as much as possible.

mares tails
Mar. 10, 2010, 02:32 PM
WEG had disaster written all over it from the second KHP got it.

Why ? Just wondering.

Because Coreene can't stand the thought of a backwater like Kentucky being successful. :winkgrin:

(Never mind that the Rolex Ky Three Day Event has been held there for decades, and that this will be the first WEG to hold all competitions at the same venue...)

Hilary
Mar. 10, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'm taking my mom - an able/active 75 year old. We got tickets for the evening Dressage Freestyle, XC the next day, and eventing show jumping.

XC tickets are $40. Or something ridiculously low. The big one was the Dressage. Show jumping for eventing was in the middle. I really didn't think prices were all that bad except the dressage. But it seems that a lot of the dressage world is priced above the event world....

2ndyrgal
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:06 PM
it will lose money. Our great Commonwealth really new that when they put their hand up. But Rolex is bigger and better every year, the test events have been great and the KHP makes sense for a lot of reasons. Interstate access, close to quarantene(sp) facilities, plenty of shippers, etc. There won't ever be a "perfect" place, because you can't have that many cheap hotels, restaurants, etc all in one place because the economics of holding one big event yearly or even less, simply won't support it. No one gripes about the price of the local hotels during the horse show season here, or the food prices, only when it's Rolex or now WEG. It's like going to Daytona Beach for the 500, bike week, or Spring Break, they'll be out of rooms and what there is will be all the money. That's how it works.

I can't wait, the test events were great, Rolex was fabulous last year and for a change, I'd like to see some really good dressage. You don't get that much in Kentucky very often. Bourbon, yes, dressage, not so much.

ctanner
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:06 PM
I was planning to go as a vendor.I was really looking forward to the exposure of an international audience.Then the reality set in.I was going to have to hire help and with the event running 16 days,I was going to have to stagger them.I figured my help was going to run me an extra $3000.00 with travel,hotel,etc.The hotel fees were what pushed me over the edge.Thank goodness.My audience is primarily people interested in Dressage,Jumping,and 3-Day Eventing.I don't believe I would have had much appeal for the Reining people.

I really hope that all the vendors have a great show and that everyone who goes has a wonderful time.

Coreene
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:41 PM
Because Coreene can't stand the thought of a backwater like Kentucky being successful. :winkgrin:

(Never mind that the Rolex Ky Three Day Event has been held there for decades, and that this will be the first WEG to hold all competitions at the same venue...)

Rolex doesn't need to cover a $70 million bill to put on an event.

So let's compare it to, say, Aachen.

WEG will cost $70 million. Alltech's sponsorship cost is $10 million. Ticket sales are supposed to cover less than half the cost. World Cup, the last WEG in Aachen, etc., have not had the costs that this does.

Aachen already has longtime sponsors in place, already had 80% of the facilities in place and does this year in and year out; it's not something that's set up purely for one event. And they have the benefit of 60+ years of being Aachen, in a part of the world that is mad about horse sports, and the resulting need for advertising was almost nil in comparison to enticing people to go to Kentucky. So the overhead for putting on WEG four years ago was nothing like it will be here, when it's all from scratch. Someone has to pay for it, and when there's such an obscene cost to cover, it's really scary that the total revenue from complete ticket sell-out would cover less than half the cost.

Sponsors in Aachen include Havens, which has the feed exclusive and which is not just sold in Germany, Warsteiner beer, ditto, Mercedes-Benz, ditto, and some others. The ROI has to make sense. Unless you're a title sponsor in Kentucky, what benefits are you going to get? Your name on some ads, your presence there on banners, ads, etc., but not much else. Television coverage overseas isn't going to matter to almost any North American advertiser. If a company is trying to, say, go after a slice of the French / German / Benelux market, it would be much more cost-effective to spend far less than the sponsorship cost and market directly in those areas.

Horse sports in the US will never, ever have the required sponsorship that it takes to foot a large part of the bill for events of this magnitude, and they will never have what brings in the most $$ of all: television.

So you have a $70 million event, you have a $10 million title sponsor, if you sold every ticket at face value it would cover less than half the cost, etc. And that is why it had financial disaster written on it from the word go.

mares tails
Mar. 10, 2010, 05:16 PM
And that is why it had financial disaster written on it from the word go.

Oh - financial disaster.

I thought you meant total unqualified disaster. :)

I don't care if it doesn't break even (none of the others before Aachen did), as long as the Games are a success.

dressagetraks
Mar. 10, 2010, 05:44 PM
The price has been a real factor in my plans, combined with a crappy last year financially and personally. I originally planned a full trip. Flush that one.

Still, it's the WEG.

So my plans have been revised to the bit-by-bit theory. Tent site reserved, not for the full games but for enough to see my two most wanted. (Comment from non horsey friend: "You're going to stay in a TENT? :eek::eek: For HOW many days??? :eek::eek::eek: To see HORSES??? :confused::no: Me: YES!! :yes::cool::D She gave me that "humor the clearly insane person" look.)

Tickets to the most wanted (and I'm assuming the most popular) events came first - Dressage Freestyle and Final 4 Jumping.

Other tickets are being added about one per paycheck to things I want but which I figure won't sell out as quickly - definitely want to see the Driving, for instance. But my list of events is strictly prioritized, so if ticket money isn't there for all in that time-period I'm there, I have my most wanted.

I'm also compiling a list of other non-WEG things to do to fill in any extra no-ticket WEG days if needed. I already have my personal tour of Count Fleet's grave set up. :cool::D (Sidenote: I STILL think Count Fleet is the second best TB racehorse of the 20th century, only behind Man o'War, ahead of Secretariat. Took me a while to track his grave, though. Places change names and hands.) A list of stud farms who give tours is being built. I'm gathering things around Lexington to do - they have an awesome cemetery to wander in, if you are a cemetery wanderer.

Strict daily allowance on expenses will be maintained. I am allowed ONE WEG T-shirt. Staying in the tent is saving me a bundle. I will have the best vacation I possibly can - on a budget. :yes:

By the way, can anybody comment on closing ceremonies? Is this, based on past experience, something worth the $$$? It lies at the bottom of my prioritized ticket list, but just in case I get down to buying that one, or not. What do they do at closing ceremonies?

But hell, yes, I wish the tickets had been less. ;)

JetsGlitterNGold
Mar. 11, 2010, 07:58 AM
As a college student studying Equine Science in Lexington, it is amazing how many Lexingtonians (is that even a word) have no idea how much tickets cost. When someone realizes that I'm into horses, the first question is always "Are you going to the World Equestrian Games?" and I have to regretfully answer no. I'm footing my own horse bills and although it would be a great opportunity for me to go, I can't afford to drop that sort of cash in one day. That's enough to pay for my food for a month!

Trakehner
Mar. 11, 2010, 08:03 AM
It's a real pity how expensive they are...but, the fun of competition for our dollars, WE get to decide where we spend them.

I was thinking of going...phewee! until the prices came out and the cost/hassle/inconvience of staying/eating there. Nope, not a go for a lot of people.

Some people have suggested "volunteer!" Some of us have jobs and other things to volunteer and donate our time...a horse show ain't it for many of us. Oh well, I'd rather support and sponsor classes in more local shows.

mares tails
Mar. 11, 2010, 03:50 PM
Some interesting comments here:
http://thehorse.com/cs/blogs/countdown-to-weg-2010/default.aspx

poltroon
Mar. 11, 2010, 03:59 PM
it. No one gripes about the price of the local hotels during the horse show season here

But you know that the local hotels have jacked their prices by a factor of 3-4, right?

Yeah, supply and demand. I don't really begrudge the owners for getting what they can. But, people were caught off guard by how high prices have gone - even for some pretty scary properties - so it's no wonder there is complaining.

2ndyrgal
Mar. 11, 2010, 09:46 PM
a couple of hundred percent. In and around Lexington. However, if you are willing to drive farther afield, it won't be that bad. Most want to be a) close and b) cheap, and that simply isn't going to happen. The KHP originally planned an on site hotel, which was nixed due to the fact that, except for that one event, it would never even be close to being filled and would be a huge money loser. I was hoping they'd build it as I horse show at the KHP frequently and would have LOVED an on site hotel, but they wisely decided it would be a big loser. As are most hotels right now. Sorry, but if I had something everyone wanted, I'd charge as much as I could as long as I could. They jack the hotels up for UK games, Uof L games, etc. It's just like plane tickets and gas being more expensive around the summer and the holidays, when demand is higher. We all know that it costs the same for a plane to fly in February as it does the week before Christmas, but.... so there you go. And yes, it's not Europe and this is the 1st one, not the 50th, so it's going to be a long, long time before it breaks even. Probably won't, as the KHP doesn't support itself every year either. Still, if the government is going to waste my money, I'd rather see improvements at the KHP than another walking,talking, car driving, gum snapping, multi-child teeny bopper on welfare.....

1flinty1
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:09 PM
I am going and am thrilled! Yes, it is really expensive, but I have never had an opportunity to see this range of international horse and rider talent. I was able to find a hotel (Ramada) in Mt. Sterling, Ky about 35 miles from the horse park for a reasonable rate (booked a few weeks ago-used orbitz, calling the hotel directly was more expensive). I think it all depends on how one prioritizes things....Certainly I don't like to spend a huge amount on anything(i am essentially cheap :)), but this is the kind of situation where I would kick myself later if i didn't go - like i did when I didn't go the the 96 Olympics. Anyway, I will go, I will spend, I will gag at the expense and then i will recover!

dressagetraks
Mar. 12, 2010, 01:07 AM
Thinking about Atlanta 1996 reminded me of my Olympic sweatshirt. I was fortunate enough to have relatives who live in Atlanta, so that trip was very much cheaper than it was for most people. The only costs were tickets, gas, and food. I was determined to go on the tightest budget I could.

And there was the sweatshirt. Very heavy (I'm always freezing). Soft cream colored. Dramatic dressage horse in passage on the front. I coveted that thing. Every day when I walked by the merchants' booths, I wanted it. But it cost $95, and that wasn't in the budget. $95 for a sweat shirt was ridiculous, I told myself.

On the last day of the Olympics, having gone as minimalistically as I could throughout and come in under daily allowance every day, I was leaving for the last time, and I passed THE sweatshirt a final time. That's when it suddenly occurred to me, I'm at the Olympics. This is probably my one trip in my lifetime to the Olympics. Twenty years from now, will I remember spending $95 on one sweatshirt and see that as a mistake?

So I dipped into the emergency fund and bought it. I wear it to this day, though never around the horses (soft cream). It's beautiful. Still in excellent condition. Yes, I think it was overpriced. But it's been 14 years, and I still don't regret it. :)

alexandra
Mar. 13, 2010, 02:11 PM
I will be coming over !!! I always wanted to see 3day Lexington. So I booked an organized trip. One week. Flight, hotels, tickets all organized. one day meeting the german 3 day riders. And in addition I have time to see "real" dressage twice. A normal Gp and the Kür ! I am looking really forward to it.

(Do not ask about the costs, but I seldomly take a holiday and may go from Lex to Florida to visit friends and spend some time on the beach or disney world if I am already in the US)

Arab/WBGirl
Mar. 13, 2010, 02:25 PM
I have tickets to the GP Freestyle. Will be staying on WV with a friend and driving in. I have always regretted not going to the 96 Olympics as I am only 45 minutes from Alanta. Not going to miss this. Choked at the ridiculous price I had to pay, but like someone said about their $95 sweatshirt, in 20 years, it wont matter.

redhorse5
Mar. 13, 2010, 03:28 PM
Losing money (this year) might be an unfortunate consequence of hosting WEG but the new facilities at the park will live on for many years. The new indoor will turn Lexington into an almost year round show site. The planners all knew this.

Never underestimate Kentuckians for dreaming big. Never underestimate the amount of money that is spent in sport. (We are spending $36 million for a basketball coach). Just take a drive for 100's of miles around the horse park and witness the horse culture steeped in the betting tradition. These people don't shy away from risk. They have taken it and you can bet they have a back up plan.

luckles
Mar. 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
Just plain too pricey...tickets, hotels...I hate gouging.

enjoytheride
Mar. 13, 2010, 04:25 PM
What is the cheapest you can get in assuming you are within driving distance?

If there is good shopping and I can get in cheaply then I'll go and shop.

Allagash's mom
Mar. 13, 2010, 04:26 PM
If the PRICE of the tickets weren't so ridiculous, I'd have done WEG. But putting all that other effort into it ..... no way. Cut the tickets prices in half and then I'll reconsider!

Watermark Farm
Mar. 13, 2010, 04:41 PM
I can't blame people for skipping this event, I wish I had not bought tickets to the WEG because by the time it's all said and done, I could have taken my daughters to England to see Badminton for the same price that this trip will cost me.

For 5 of us, it cost $1400 for the cheapest tickets to the Dressage freestyles on a Friday evening, cheapo Eventing XC tickets, followed by Eventing Stadium tickets.

For a Motel 6 room, I'm paying $200/night. And that's dirt cheap. The price gouging on lodging should be against the law.

Sign me,
Already Feeling Duped About the WEG in California

dutchmike
Mar. 13, 2010, 05:34 PM
I work for a living. For the money WEG costs I simply have better things to spent $$$$ on

Arab/WBGirl
Mar. 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
Of I had to stay in one of those hotel rooms at the rates they are charging, oh H#$* NO. But, I get to see a friend and also get to see the KHP for the first time. Also going to try to do a farm tour. Haven't booked my flight yet, what are you all seeing as far as prices on that?

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 13, 2010, 07:17 PM
If there is good shopping and I can get in cheaply then I'll go and shop.

If the prices for vendors quoted are correct, I wonder how many of the smaller, more interesting vendors will actually be there? The big names will be of course, but you can buy from them any time. It's always the small, unique vendors I like to see at these shows. But, $12k for a 10x10 space? Not too many artisan types can afford that!

NJR

JanM
Mar. 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
For people with campsites and no camper you can rent them-and many trailer parks have rental trailers available with everything furnished. Plus, if money is no object (I know it always is really) a friend of mine lives three miles away from KHP, and he and all of his neighbors are renting their houses--for $1,000 a night and up! He said for that price they'll stay with the in-laws and sleep on the floor if necessary. He plans to put all of the profit right into the house principle so it's definitely the chance of a lifetime for them. My friend knows nothing about the event or horses so he was totally confused when I told him to find out who rented it--if it's GM or someone I may buy something he touched, I think my friend is still trying to figure out how crazy I am.

ise@ssl
Mar. 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
Think about how big a 10x10 stall is and then put tables in it and merchandise and tell me how PEOPLE will fit in to buy anything?!

I see that Wellington is now applying for the WEG'S inthe future.

titan
Mar. 13, 2010, 07:48 PM
I saw one of the vendors (Designs by Loriece) that comes to our horse shows and she said she is doing WEG as well as the event in downtown Lexington. She thinks the downtown expo will attract a lot of the vendors that can't afford the space at the KHP and that there will be shuttles going back & forth for added shopping experiences. Sooo, if you are local but not going to WEG you can still get your shopping fix downtown.

CatOnLap
Mar. 14, 2010, 12:46 PM
Wow. And we thought the Winter olympics was bad for price gouging!

I had a meeting scheduled in Vancouver during the Olympics. The hotel where I usually stay and pay about $180 a night for, had jacked its nightly price for the same room up to $500.

enjoytheride
Mar. 14, 2010, 02:19 PM
Do you have any information about the downtown event, location, vendors, and pricing?

DLee
Mar. 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
I saw one of the vendors (Designs by Loriece) that comes to our horse shows and she said she is doing WEG as well as the event in downtown Lexington. She thinks the downtown expo will attract a lot of the vendors that can't afford the space at the KHP and that there will be shuttles going back & forth for added shopping experiences. Sooo, if you are local but not going to WEG you can still get your shopping fix downtown.

That is true! There will be some good stuff downtown. I am doing a three-woman show of equine art at Gallery B, and I'm sure Crossgate Gallery will have some stupendous work as well. All kinds of cool stuff downtown. :yes:
An artist friend of mine kind of wanted to share a booth out at the Horse Park, no way would that have ever been a profit for me. :no:

Holly Jeanne
Mar. 15, 2010, 02:49 PM
Here's the information on the downtown festival. From what I understand, those events will be free. And I did hear there would be a shuttle.

http://www.lexingtonky.gov/spotlightlexington/

Holly Jeanne
Mar. 15, 2010, 02:52 PM
You might check out Danville for housing. It's one hour from the horse park. I don't know yet whether there will be an event shuttle from Danville.

twcolabear
Mar. 15, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm going but it is expensive. I only bought tickets to freestyle and one of the jumping shows. I'm going with my mom so that way we go see some horses and do some traveling. I'm mad about hotels though. There is some serious gouging going on. We are staying an hour away. Because anything decent is sold out. Airfare wasn't bad and car rental is ok

mxkextended
Mar. 15, 2010, 04:50 PM
I think it will be interesting to see how the ticket prices and especially the hotel prices go was we get closer and closer to the event.

I know that many hotels are booked, but I wonder how many rooms will be released.

carolprudm
Mar. 16, 2010, 11:12 AM
I see there are dressage classes two days before the Rolex 3de. No entries are listed. Does anyone have more info?

We have tons of "No blackout dates" Hilton Honors points but guess what....not valid for the WEG. The Hiltons I have tried have sold all their rooms to travel agencies

Ummmmwhat part of no blackout dates am I missing?

mares tails
Mar. 16, 2010, 11:25 AM
I see there are dressage classes two days before the Rolex 3de.
That would be the Kentucky Cup test event.

Advance Ticket sales close March 26 (http://www.rk3de.org/testevents.html)

ALLTECH FEI WORLD EQUESTRIAN GAMES TEST EVENT
Kentucky Cup Dressage

Dressage Grand Prix
Tuesday, April 20, 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Dressage Grand Prix Special
Wednesday, April 21,10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Dressage Freestyle
Thursday, April 22, 6:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

TrakHack
Mar. 16, 2010, 03:32 PM
Some interesting comments here:
http://thehorse.com/cs/blogs/countdown-to-weg-2010/default.aspx

As stated in the article, "Attending the WEG won't set you back more than attending most other premium events, and it's a lot less expensive than some."

Faulty comparison, as far as I'm concerned. I have never planned to go to the Superbowl and rarely go to live concerts. The comparison needs to be made to other entertainment events that are geared toward horse people.

I've been to Rolex three times, Dressage at Devon three times, and "regular" Devon five times in the last 10 years. This year I may hit both Devons, but I have no plans for WEG.

Interestingly, I have a client in Lexington who told me this morning they have received no information from the planners of WEG about traffic patterns and such, which this client needs to know to plan around. They keep asking, but they're not getting any information.

Sandy M
Mar. 16, 2010, 04:44 PM
As stated in the article, "Attending the WEG won't set you back more than attending most other premium events, and it's a lot less expensive than some."

Faulty comparison, as far as I'm concerned. I have never planned to go to the Superbowl and rarely go to live concerts. The comparison needs to be made to other entertainment events that are geared toward horse people.

Agreed. Especially since this is a multi-day, multidiscipline event. My tickets to the LA Olympics (All three phases of 3-day, riding portion of Modern Pentathalon) didn't cost anything like that - and I'm talking in comparative salaries then/ticket cost vs. comparative salaries now/ticket cost. I know EVERYTHING is more expensive these days, but proportionately, these are out of line.

If you go to the Superbowl or a BN concert, it may be pricey, but it's a one-shot, maybe one-night hotel deal, plus or minus airfare. I would have flown to Charlotte, NC to visit a friend and driven with her to KY. Sort of two vacations in one. But with the WEG, and again $90 for HALF A DAY of dressage???? Not worth the airfare for one or even two days of competition, and too expensive for more than one or two days.

I could have gone to the 1985 Superbowl at Stanford Stadium. My boss was on the organizing committee for that Superbowl. It would have cost me $85 (standard price, no price break). I didn't go. $85 bucks, nosebleed seats? I saw it better on TV, and I'll see the WEG better on the DVDs (or perhaps SOME coverage on TV). A better deal for me than that $90 for a half a day of dressage, and I'll still be able to go to Rolex or Devon at much less expense.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 16, 2010, 09:34 PM

Faulty comparison, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Especially since this is a multi-day, multidiscipline event.

Yes, Super Bowls and concerts are single ticket purchases. No one is going to go to the WEG to see a single ticket's worth of the show.

For me, I don't even really mind the ticket prices, until you get to the split days, for double the cost. :no:

MANGO75
Mar. 17, 2010, 10:04 AM
I think the WEG's will be amazing. I also consider the expense it takes to put something of this magnitude on, and that the money has to come from somewhere. While indeed pricey I feel confident in my choice to see horses the like of Totilas et. all, its worth it. Bring on the GAMES!!!

ButterflyIris
Mar. 17, 2010, 02:02 PM
wait to see if they go on sale closer to the games...

I agree the prices are totally out of proportion to all other horse events.

msrobin
Mar. 21, 2010, 02:08 AM
Are there any clubs offering discounts on tickets? I want to go to the Dressage Freestyle to see Moorlands Totilas, but $235 plus ticket master fees and taxes then gas and hotel .....it's expensive..Forget eating :) Perhaps a fast is in order lol

ESG
Mar. 21, 2010, 10:31 PM
Those prices are insane. I was all excited about WEG being in KY, until I saw what it would cost. :eek: Our World Cup tickets, for five days of SJ with really good seats, cost less than three days of WEG, with vastly cheaper accommodation. And in Vegas, you have plenty to do that's nothing to do with the WC. As others have said, I'm going to Europe if I'm spending that much money on a trip. And Europe would be cheaper. :yes:

Schiffon
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:30 PM
And Europe would be cheaper. :yes:

That is so easy to assume in order to criticize, but I would bet that if you have accurate cost information on comparable travel types, hotel rates during a big event, food, car rental, fuel (more than double the US) and ticket prices, and do calculations with the exchange rate you can actually get at the bank or exchange service with their fees added on (not the simple exchange rate you can find on the internet that no one will sell you euros for), that the difference is not so much.

dwblover
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:38 PM
What it all boils down to for me is I'd be willing to pay the $90 for a FULL day of dressage. I'm NOT willing to pay $90 for a HALF day. I just find that insane. Too bad cuz I did really want to go. Perhaps they will go on sale, though I doubt it.

HorseCapital
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
My name is Kristopher Armes and I'm a student at Eastern Kentucky University, with an emphasis on Public Relations. This semester we are exploring different social media outlets in an effort to learn social media, and to inform horse enthusiasts about events happening in conjunction with the World Equestrian Games. I appreciate the opportunity to post here. Examples of additional events taking place in Lexington that complement the games include; Horse Capital Tours (www.horsecapitaltours.com), The International Equestrian Festival, (www.horsecapitalproductions.com) and the launch of the American Friends of the Spanish Riding School non-profit organization. The world-renowned school will be performing in Lexington this fall- details of the USA tour will be announced soon. Please check back in the coming weeks for additional details about the events mentioned above, as well as events still to come.

Sandy M
Mar. 22, 2010, 04:23 PM
That is so easy to assume in order to criticize, but I would bet that if you have accurate cost information on comparable travel types, hotel rates during a big event, food, car rental, fuel (more than double the US) and ticket prices, and do calculations with the exchange rate you can actually get at the bank or exchange service with their fees added on (not the simple exchange rate you can find on the internet that no one will sell you euros for), that the difference is not so much.

As I state above, I did Badminton 2005, including four days in London (B&B) and all the touristy-museum, etc. stuff that implies, dining out, etc., 4-5 days in Bath (B&B), event tickets, rental car and touring into southwestern England and parts of Wales, train trip to Bristol (hotel there) and train up to Boston (Near Nottingham) hotel there, back to London (Hotel at Airport $$$$$) for less than $2,500. Things have increased in price, but not THAT much. I'd imagine I could still do Badminton and some touring for less than the air fare, price-gouging hotels and extortionary ticket rates for the WEG.

Of course, folks in the mid-west/east coast will pay less in air fare than I would from CA, but it's the hotel/ticket prices that are the killer. One is not going to travel that far for ONE day of dressage, and it sounds like the freestyle final is outrageously expensive.

ESG
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:43 PM

Europe is cheaper. :cool:

And let's face it - given an opportunity to go to Europe, or Kentucky, and have it be the same price? Kind of a no-brainer, don't you think?

JellyBeanQueen
Mar. 23, 2010, 02:35 AM
Heck I live here in KY and still cant afford it. I was going to try and to make to some of the Rolex but its just bad timing. I would have thought more tickets would have been sold by now.

TWF
Mar. 23, 2010, 02:56 AM
Those prices are insane. I was all excited about WEG being in KY, until I saw what it would cost. :eek: Our World Cup tickets, for five days of SJ with really good seats, cost less than three days of WEG, with vastly cheaper accommodation. And in Vegas, you have plenty to do that's nothing to do with the WC. As others have said, I'm going to Europe if I'm spending that much money on a trip. And Europe would be cheaper. :yes:

Just imagine how those of us who bought the PRE-SALE tickets years ago feel? I went to the WEGS in Aachen ...not nearly the cost for those tickets.
If they reduce ticket prices..they will have a riot on their hands!

TWF
Mar. 23, 2010, 03:24 AM
Reserve Your Tickets Now!
2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games
Ticket Deposit Program For
USEF Members Begins Today

Be among the first in the world to reserve your tickets for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in Lexington, KY. The Ticket Deposit Program for USEF members begins November 1, 2007 at noon, EST! The offer is for "discipline series tickets", which are tickets for every performance in a specific discipline during the Games. This offer allows you to make a non-refundable deposit, approximately 50% of what is predicted for the highest priced seats, to reserve the series ticket with the balance due in 2009. There is a limit of 6 series tickets per discipline per member. Single day tickets are not part of this offer. There are a limited number of tickets available in each discipline and the offer will end when the USEF allotment sells out, or at midnight EST Thursday, November 15, 2007, whichever comes first.

This ticket deposit offer to USEF members is only available online; no orders will be taken by phone or mail.

The Deposit prices, per series ticket, are:
Opening Ceremonies - $75
Dressage - $375
Vaulting - $250
Eventing - $200
Jumping - $375
Driving - $150
Reining - $300
Para-Equestrian - $75
Endurance - $25

Depoists THREE YEARS in advance...NO DATES!!!!
Who would have thot they would conflict with DAD??:eek::cry::confused:
I may have to bail to see my favorite horses there!!

ozjb
Mar. 23, 2010, 06:27 AM
Is it possible that tickets WILL go on sale closer to the event? Will the accommodation suddenly get cheaper? Because I will be seriously mad if that happens because we have our tickets and accommodation booked. We live overseas and this is already a very expensive trip! :-)

We are looking forward to this so much!

ise@ssl
Mar. 23, 2010, 10:36 AM
I agree that for those of us on the East Coast - it's definitely much cheaper to fly to Europe for one of the top competitions there than go to KY. Plus the conflict of the WEG dressage with DAD is so completely idiotic. The person who did the scheduling should step forward and explain this debacle

ESG
Mar. 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
I agree that for those of us on the East Coast - it's definitely much cheaper to fly to Europe for one of the top competitions there than go to KY. Plus the conflict of the WEG dressage with DAD is so completely idiotic. The person who did the scheduling should step forward and explain this debacle

I'm guessing that, whoever scheduled the conflicting dates, was thinking that the prestige of WEG would trump that of DAD, and people would think it worth the exorbitant cost.

Whoops! :D

Platinum Equestrian
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:22 PM
We still haven't purchased event tickets, but would like to. I think we're hoping we can catch some kind of a break in price as we get closer. We may be crazy... ;)

titan
Mar. 28, 2010, 06:05 PM
I will have 5 tickets for both dressage sessions on Mon & Tues for $50 each (originally $90) if anyone wants to see Grand Prix at a discount.

Foxtrot's
Mar. 28, 2010, 06:44 PM
If it is anything like the just completed Olympics here, people just could not commit themselves that far in advance. The best seats, for sure, get booked up, but we found tickets right up to the very end. It is still a waya away until the WEG's.

Personally - too expensive for me.

TheParisienne
Mar. 30, 2010, 06:23 AM
I had wanted to go but the cost... yikes! Plus, I did not want the hassle of fighting for room space and cars with so many more people.

My freind and I go to Rolex every year and will go this year. It's amazing how much tickets for that Rolex have gone up! We've gone every year since 1999. I guess we all have to pay for the venue even if we are not going to WEG. That said, the new arenas at KHP are VERY nice.

One well known equestrian vendor has been protesting the rate increases for the Rolex vendor space via the ads they run in several horse magazines. It's very subtle, you really have to read between the lines. I always get a chuckle out of that; the owner of the company told me about it last year.

It will be interesting to see how ticket sales progress for the WEG.

TWF
May. 3, 2010, 12:59 AM
News on the tickets sales? I have two full sets of dressage tickets, opening and closing AND the motel!!! Whew!:winkgrin::D:cool:;):)
But...now I have a timing conflict:eek::eek:...I have a new pony filly to show at DAD.:yes::cool:

Platinum Equestrian
May. 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Is there an update on ticket sales numbers?

Mike Matson
May. 23, 2010, 06:48 PM
No updates I can find. Maybe someone else has the latest info and can post it.

Gestalt
May. 23, 2010, 07:28 PM
Europe is cheaper. :cool:

And let's face it - given an opportunity to go to Europe, or Kentucky, and have it be the same price? Kind of a no-brainer, don't you think?

Well, perhaps it's a no-brainer for you, but I would choose KY. Fabulous TB farms, Cigar is at KHP, incredible food and booze and much to see for US history.

Kementari
May. 24, 2010, 12:04 AM
I have tix for dressage freestyle and xc, which cost about $180 altogether. I am driving with a friend, which will be about $150 in gas for each of us. We are staying at another friend's house in Cincinnati and commuting, so figure another $30 in gas once it's split up at least three ways. Five days total is 15 meals; at even $20 each (and given that I usually have a granola bar for breakfast, that's a pretty generous estimate!) is $300. So the total for "must have" expenses is $660. (Yes, I will have money budgeted for shopping, too, but that would be the same wherever I was going in the world!)

You don't get FLIGHTS to Europe anymore for under $400 or so, and that's if you are super-flexible and flying on strange days - so how I could have a European vacation (even without horsey event tickets) for less than my trip to WEGs is beyond me.

Heaven knows I'm on a budget, too, and I've been saving up a bit at a time to have the Grand Total ready by October (well, I already bought the tix, so that part I don't have to worry about any more...). I completely understand those who can't afford this (I had to think long and hard about whether this was something I could afford when there are plenty of other things I could be saving for instead, and the fact that I decided I could doesn't mean that's the decision someone else would or should make). It's just the implication that either only the rich are going or that if you were smart you'd wait and spend the same amount going to Aachen that is rather absurd...

iRider
May. 24, 2010, 12:10 AM
I assumed for the past couple of years that I would go. I went to Atlanta in 96, I go to Rolex, of course I wouldn't miss the WEG!
And then I saw the ticket prices and the price gougeing hotel rooms.
So, screw 'em.

Ditto. Love to go to the "big" shows, but not at these prices

IkeE
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
Ticket prices are steep. But if any of you are looking for cheaper lodging I can recommend Hollywood Casino. I just read about it in a HCP Press Release. The Casino is in Indiana (about an hour away), but they will be shuttling guests to one of the downtown festivals (the "International Equestrian Festival" for those of you interested). City buses going to the horsepark also leave from downtown, so you could hop on one of them.

carolprudm
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
I have tix for dressage freestyle and xc, which cost about $180 altogether. I am driving with a friend, which will be about $150 in gas for each of us. We are staying at another friend's house in Cincinnati and commuting, so figure another $30 in gas once it's split up at least three ways. Five days total is 15 meals; at even $20 each (and given that I usually have a granola bar for breakfast, that's a pretty generous estimate!) is $300. So the total for "must have" expenses is $660. (Yes, I will have money budgeted for shopping, too, but that would be the same wherever I was going in the world!)

You don't get FLIGHTS to Europe anymore for under $400 or so, and that's if you are super-flexible and flying on strange days - so how I could have a European vacation (even without horsey event tickets) for less than my trip to WEGs is beyond me.

Heaven knows I'm on a budget, too, and I've been saving up a bit at a time to have the Grand Total ready by October (well, I already bought the tix, so that part I don't have to worry about any more...). I completely understand those who can't afford this (I had to think long and hard about whether this was something I could afford when there are plenty of other things I could be saving for instead, and the fact that I decided I could doesn't mean that's the decision someone else would or should make). It's just the implication that either only the rich are going or that if you were smart you'd wait and spend the same amount going to Aachen that is rather absurd...

Perhaps it is also equally absurd to think that those of us who choose not to go live within driving distance and have nearby friends to stay with.

Joanne
Jun. 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
Ticket prices are steep. But if any of you are looking for cheaper lodging I can recommend Hollywood Casino. I just read about it in a HCP Press Release. The Casino is in Indiana (about an hour away), but they will be shuttling guests to one of the downtown festivals (the "International Equestrian Festival" for those of you interested). City buses going to the horsepark also leave from downtown, so you could hop on one of them.

Too bad they are booked for the entire dressage competition.

Mike Matson
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:52 PM
With the Euro plummeting in value, Aachen is looking good for Americans.

tempichange
Jun. 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
I live downtown LEX, 15 minutes from the park 3 minutes from IEF. I bought freestyle tickets, and will probably buy the SRS tickets as well.

rebecca yount
Jun. 16, 2010, 12:29 AM
I sold my WEG tickets and I'm goin' to DEVON!!!!

SerenaGinger
Jun. 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
I sold my WEG tickets and I'm goin' to DEVON!!!!

Did you sell them online or to friends? I read that they were mailing tickets in June but haven't received mine yet.

Meshach
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:05 PM
With the Euro plummeting in value, Aachen is looking good for Americans.

I'm going to Aachen this year for the CHIO Aachen, can't wait. July 16th and 17th! My flight was pretty darn expensive but we aren't going just for Aachen, will be going to Brussels, Bruges and Amsterdam as well.

IkeE
Jun. 16, 2010, 04:02 PM
Too bad they are booked for the entire dressage competition.

I don't think they are. The release sounded like they were still pretty open.

Here's the link to the press release:
http://www.horsecapitalproductions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:hollywood-casino-brings-glitz-and-glam-to-2010-horse-festival&catid=3:press-release&Itemid=18

And here's Hollywood's website: http://hollywoodindiana.com/

I try to be helpful, so if you still need help finding housing let me know!

SerenaGinger
Jun. 16, 2010, 04:19 PM

Their website indicates that they are full Sept 25 - 30

Hollywood Casino reservations (https://lawrenceburgreservations.pngaming.com/cgi-bin/lansaweb?PROCFUN+RN+RESNET+res+funcparms+UP%28A256 0%29)

I have a real hard time with the concept of paying $300 a night for a Holiday Inn, so I'll be selling my tickets. Las Vegas at least has some decent hotel options.

Mardi
Jun. 16, 2010, 06:34 PM
Just for fun I checked availablity for the GP Freestyle.

Tickets still available.
Where: temp seating on short side, 2 seats together.
Cost: $110 ea (doesn't include Ticketmaster fees)

Absolut Equestrian
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:50 AM
Here's the latest update on ticket sales:
http://www.kentucky.com/2010/06/18/1311965/with-99-days-to-go-till-the-games.html

With 99 days to go until the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games, organizers said ticket sales are not as robust as they had once hoped they would be.
"Ticket sales are OK," Jamie Link, CEO of the World Games Foundation said at a media briefing Thursday. "We're seeing the effects of the economy. People are waiting later to make buying decisions. ... Once the World Cup is over, Europeans will turn their attention to the World Games."
Organizers originally said they expected 600,000 tickets to be sold. A little over 260,000 have been sold, Link said.

Karoline
Jun. 19, 2010, 03:04 AM
Last I checked one dollar was worth .80 euro. Or it took a little over $1.20 to buy one euro. Its still a long way from being a great deal.

tempichange
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:24 AM
Last I checked one dollar was worth .80 euro. Or it took a little over $1.20 to buy one euro. Its still a long way from being a great deal.

As someone who deals regularly in Euro, it's far better than the 2:1 ratio it was exhibiting not too far back. It makes my job of hosting Edward Gal and Christoph Hess far easier.

Joanne
Jun. 19, 2010, 02:13 PM

Here's the link to the press release:
http://www.horsecapitalproductions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:hollywood-casino-brings-glitz-and-glam-to-2010-horse-festival&catid=3:press-release&Itemid=18

And here's Hollywood's website: http://hollywoodindiana.com/

I try to be helpful, so if you still need help finding housing let me know!

That press release is dated May 19.

ise@ssl
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:59 AM
FYI - I finally had a response about the conflict between DAD and the WEG Dressage - ready for this? "When they were scheduling the WEG's they weren't sure about the dates for DAD." Can you believe that? First of all DAD is always the last week in September and the USEF is the governing body that approves the dates. I still feel someone really screwed up when they scheduled this conflict for the dressage discipline.

To Meshach - if you've never been to Aachen it's a great venue and a wonderful city - HAVE FUN.

Coreene
Jun. 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
I agree, nothing at all compares.

blackhorsegirl
Jun. 20, 2010, 05:49 PM
Not sure if anyone has said this but there are hotels available. The big "however" is that they are price gouging. Our $69 motel is costing me $250 a night and, according to the housing office, they are now up over $400. We also had to pay all hotel costs up front before September and there is no refund.

If there is any good news in this, I"ll have everything paid for before I go. Like said before, I'm treating this like a vacation and I'm able to share the costs.

IkeE
Jun. 21, 2010, 06:10 PM
Their website indicates that they are full Sept 25 - 30

Hollywood Casino reservations (https://lawrenceburgreservations.pngaming.com/cgi-bin/lansaweb?PROCFUN+RN+RESNET+res+funcparms+UP%28A256 0%29)

I have a real hard time with the concept of paying $300 a night for a Holiday Inn, so I'll be selling my tickets. Las Vegas at least has some decent hotel options.

I called them using the IEF promo code . . They still have rooms. I don't know why the calendar says "sold-out." That's a little strange.

Here is what I copied from the IEF Facebook page post on June 6th:

International Equestrian Festival (IEF) Hotel Room Booking Information · Event Dates: September 25th – October 10th, 2010.· Shoulder dates available · Package & Rates:· Package includes hotel accommodations, daily breakfast buffet, daily round trip transportation to/from the Lexington Event Center, and shuttle tra...nsportation to/from CVG Airport upon request.

Hollywood Casino Accommodations: $179 + tax / night· Source Code: IEFA · (Exhibitors, contact us for your source code)

How can I make my reservation at Hollywood?· By calling the Hollywood Reservations team directly @ 888.274.679

Reservation Disclaimers:· 72 hour cancellation policy· Credit Card required at the time of confirming reservation· Credit Card, Photo ID, and security deposit required at the time of Check-In· Must be 18 years of age to check in to Hollywood Casino Hotel, Must be 21 to access the gaming floor. · Hollywood Sponsored Kick-Off Party to be held on the evening of September 24th for all exhibitors. We will take everyone back for the Ultimate 70’s and 80’s themed Dance Club Experience
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/IEF2010?ref=ts

I hope this helps! You could always call HCP (Horse Capital Productions) too. I've found them very helpful. Their number is 859-223-2010 (2010!! I thought it was cute . . .). Their website is www.horsecapitalproductions.com

Fairview Horse Center
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hollywood Casino Accommodations: $179 + tax / night· Source Code: IEFA · (Exhibitors, contact us for your source code)

Why go an hour and a half when you can book into Comfort Inn & Suites 2650 KY 801 North, Morehead, KY, for $95 :cool:

It is 59 minutes from KHP

ponyjumper4
Jun. 22, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm curious with the expense of going how many of you will actually shop at the vendors?

Zevida
Jun. 22, 2010, 02:13 PM
I'm curious with the expense of going how many of you will actually shop at the vendors?

Me! I have budgeted money set aside for vendor shopping. In fact, I am in desperate need of new boots and had a bad experience trying to order through a tack shop, so I plan to talk extensively with the boot makers and get measured while I'm there.

I'm a bit of a cheapskate so I normally wouldn't spend too much money on shopping. Maybe a set of earrings, a t-shirt, maybe a saddle pad. I think I have $200 saved up for shopping, but I can't remember.

Yes, WEG is an expensive trip, but it is a vacation. It isn't like I'm going to have to show up at the door with a $2k check in hand. Everything has been paid for and saved for a bit at a time over the course of two years which makes it a lot easier to manage.

IkeE
Jun. 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
Me! I have budgeted money set aside for vendor shopping. In fact, I am in desperate need of new boots and had a bad experience trying to order through a tack shop, so I plan to talk extensively with the boot makers and get measured while I'm there.

If you've budgeted, I suggest price shopping around town - make sure you try some of the vendors at other equestrian trade shows too! I remember seeing Kestar Boots is going to be at the IEF:

www.internationalequestrianfestival.com - click on "exhibitors" to see their list of vendors.

Mardi
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:19 AM
Tickets sales are at 260,000.

Mardi
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:23 AM
FYI - I finally had a response about the conflict between DAD and the WEG Dressage - ready for this? "When they were scheduling the WEG's they weren't sure about the dates for DAD."

Is the FEI "they" ? I can understand how Devon wouldn't be on their radar screen.

But USEF should have been the watch dog on that one. :-/

IkeE
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
Tickets sales are at 260,000.

Yeah, I just read that here: http://chronofhorse.com/article/weg-ticket-sales-down
It says the WEG attributed low sales to the economy . . .

Coreene
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
I'm sure the highway robbery prices and price gouging have oodles to do with it as well. :rolleyes:

Fairview Horse Center
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:28 PM
Is the FEI "they" ? I can understand how Devon wouldn't be on their radar screen.

Devon is an FEI show, so they should have known there was a conflict.

Economy
Devon conflict
prices of tickets
prices of hotels

all contributes to low ticket sales.

I bet there will be tickets available last minute or even "at the door" & maybe for less as people try to sell theirs if they can't make it.

I reserved my room, the usual way for a hotel, and I can cancel by 6 PM check in day without costing me a penny. I will wait to see what I want to do mid- September before purchasing tickets.

retreadeventer
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:12 PM
I feel sorry for those who bought early, but even if you can get cheaper tickets later, there simply aren't enough hotel rooms within distance, I would bet. I wonder how many European tickets have been sold?

ise@ssl
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
I'm really rather surprised at how late they are announcing other ongoing events as part of the WEG's. We spoke to the Kentucky WEG people at the WEG's at Aachen. They seemed to be very focused and spent a lot of time going on and on about what worked at Aachen and what didn't and how they could do it so much better. So far - I feel like they ar announcing things now (June) for the WEG's in late September that should have been in place 2 years ago.

DreamTime
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:58 PM
... NOT! Latest, greatest twist in the saga of KY's WEG, today in the local newspaper:

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/06/24/1320608/weg-ditches-plan-for-free-parking.html#storylink=omni_popular

I'm curious how they're going to get people to the various venues. For those of you familiar with the HP - usually, for Rolex, people park in the camp ground. This new parking field (we're not talking the kind of parking like, say, in Atlanta for the Olympics) is beyond the camp ground. Those of us with minor issues walking-wise (injury related) will be hard-pressed to make the hike from there to the venues....

The readers' comments are by and large right on the money (forgive the pun).

Carolin Walz
www.dreamtimefarm.com

IkeE
Jun. 28, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'm really rather surprised at how late they are announcing other ongoing events as part of the WEG's. We spoke to the Kentucky WEG people at the WEG's at Aachen. They seemed to be very focused and spent a lot of time going on and on about what worked at Aachen and what didn't and how they could do it so much better. So far - I feel like they ar announcing things now (June) for the WEG's in late September that should have been in place 2 years ago.

I know they have had a lot of turnover at the WEG office. Perhaps the people you spoke to in Aachen are no longer working for the WEG.

Anne Buchanan once worked at the WEG office, but is now hosting the International Equestrian Festival downtown to complement the WEG.
http://horsecapitalproductions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=28

carolprudm
Jun. 28, 2010, 11:50 AM
IKeE, gotta wonder why you ONLY post about the WEG.....

IkeE
Jun. 29, 2010, 12:24 PM
IKeE, gotta wonder why you ONLY post about the WEG.....

Lol - because I'm living in Lexington, and it surrounds my life! A lot of my horse friends outside of Kentucky are always asking me for the inside Lexington scoop, so I assumed Chronicle friends would too.
For example, Business Lexington (a local magazine) recently wrote an article about how the Thoroughbred farms are preparing for WEG visitors: http://www.bizlex.com/Articles-c-2010-06-23-93325.113117_Hospitable_Horse_Industry.html . I thought it was interesting that more farms may be opening up for tours during the WEG. This is an opportunity for horse lovers to experience something they have not before!!

TWF
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:20 PM
My tickets for the Opening Ceremonies and the full set of Dressage events are "on their way" ...according to an email today. I can't go due to my horse entering Dressage at Devon. Three @ 1/2 years wait only to have two FEI events conflict. I have hotel for the whole time too!!!

Sad very Sad
I'm forced to sell the fifth row tickets now!!

SerenaGinger
Jul. 2, 2010, 05:59 PM
My tickets arrived today, ugh! I was hoping they would be lost and miraculously I could get a refund. Now to sell them...

slp
Jul. 2, 2010, 08:57 PM
My tickets arrived today for the WRONG event! I ordered show jumping, they sent me dressage! I'm on hold with ticketmaster, have been cut off 3 times...this isn't fun.

War Admiral
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:24 PM
I'm still undecided about going. I'm close enough that, with determination, I *could* drive in for one day. Like most of the not-very-well-heeled I'm waiting to see if tix are available for less as the event gets closer. Looking at how tickets are being handled in the concert industry, and how badly that industry is tanking this year, I honestly suspect that they will be. And yes, those who paid premium prices WILL be justifiably ticked off, but if there is a price drop it'll definitely make a big difference for the normal working stiff who really wants to go but can't afford it.

"Skip a lesson" did indeed make me LOL. I no longer ride, but for me, attending one session would be the equivalent in cost of TWO WEEKS worth of training rides for my baby greenie! :lol::lol::lol: The rich TRULY are different. :cool: And I don't begrudge them that in the slightest, never have, but God, COTH, reality check much??

SerenaGinger
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:34 PM
My tickets arrived today for the WRONG event! I ordered show jumping, they sent me dressage! I'm on hold with ticketmaster, have been cut off 3 times...this isn't fun.

Oh how I wish I had this problem! I would call my credit card company and dispute the charges, tell them I had called Ticketmaster three times and hung up on all three times.

You should do this, get a full refund, and find someone selling their show jumping tickets below ticket price and buy those instead of getting an event exchange!

Doodlebug1
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:30 PM
I feel sorry for those who bought early, but even if you can get cheaper tickets later, there simply aren't enough hotel rooms within distance, I would bet. I wonder how many European tickets have been sold?

None.
Ticketmaster won't let us buy without a US cardholder address! It's OK for me as I am american, but I did try with my UK visa first - not an option it seems!

Personally I know no-one from the UK who is going who is not directly connected with team members.

Though I am not directly connected to any of the team members I am meeting up with US and Canadian friends, which truly does makes every cent worth spending. If I didn't have that connection? I wouldn't spend the $$

SerenaGinger
Jul. 3, 2010, 03:57 PM
None.
Ticketmaster won't let us buy without a US cardholder address! It's OK for me as I am american, but I did try with my UK visa first - not an option it seems!

People are reselling on Stub Hub where they will let non-Americans/non-Canadians purchase tickets. They do require the tickets be mailed to an address in the US or Canada - relative, friend, hotel - it doesn't matter. Just to mention in case you do know people in the UK who want to attend.

rebecca yount
Jul. 4, 2010, 03:04 AM
The way this is all sounding, I am SO SO glad I sold my tickets months ago! Wild horses couldn't drag me into what is sounding like a real clusterf*ck.

I'm going to Devon.

Touchstone Farm
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:52 PM
We have a group going and are very excited, but we are disappointed at the cost of the tickets, the gouging cost of the hotel, and -- to add insult to injury -- now we have to pay $5 a day for shuttle and if we don't reserve the passes ahead of time, we will be gouged more??!!!

Frankly, the World Cup in Vegas was a lot better. If the U.S. ever gets WEG again, I'll pass. This just feels like an event that is totally taking advantage of its supporters.

Equine Writer
Jul. 20, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hey everyone,
Select WEG tickets went on sale last week - you could save 30 percent! Just thought I'd mention it if people are still interested in going and looking to save some money :) Here's a link to more information:

http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/countdown-to-weg-2010/default.aspx

Nojacketrequired
Jul. 21, 2010, 02:23 PM
I've mentioned this before, and perhaps I'm just naive, but if you purchased tickets with the understanding (in writing I'm assuming) that parking/transport was supposed to be included, why can't you claim breach of contract and ask for your money back?

NJR

carolprudm
Jul. 21, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hey everyone,
Select WEG tickets went on sale last week - you could save 30 percent! Just thought I'd mention it if people are still interested in going and looking to save some money :) Here's a link to more information:

http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/countdown-to-weg-2010/default.aspx

I'm waiting till the hotel rooms go on sale

spirithorse
Jul. 21, 2010, 07:17 PM
For your reading pleasure:

2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games Myth Busters

Release: July 15 2010
Author: Kristin Bednarski
http://www.chronofhorse.com/images/wirMiddle.jpg

Lexington, KY - The popular show MythBusters tests the validity of urban legends and myths and now we’re going to do the same. We are going to challenge some of the biggest rumors and myths about the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games. (Note: the following are actual myths).

Myth One: Ticket prices are outrageous!
Tickets to the 2010 Games start as low as $25 for a grounds pass. Competition tickets also start at $25. Tickets for eventing cross-country, driving marathon and endurance are only $45. The average ticket price for the Games is $85 and the most expensive ticket is $150, for the Opening Ceremonies.

Let’s compare these prices to other ticket prices. Individual tickets for a University of Kentucky football home game start at $46 for a conference game. Tickets for the popular University of Kentucky vs. University of Louisville football game are listed on findticketsfast.com, a discount ticket website, for a minimum of $117. Tickets to popular concerts generally start at around $35 and double or triple that price as the seats get closer to the stage. For championship events, spectators are shelling out even more. Tickco.com has tickets for the Super Bowl starting at $1,800 and all-sessions tickets to the NCAA Final Four are listed from $541-$4091.

These prices seem exorbitant when compared to what it costs to see multiple days of competition or to see all sessions of one discipline at the 2010 Games. Eventing, which is midrange when it comes to price per session, has six total sessions to watch. This includes four sessions of eventing dressage (two sessions per day) at $60 each, cross-country jumping is $45 and stadium jumping is $105. The total price to see every session of the eventing championship is $390. Those prices are also premium seats. All six sessions at Price B seating is $305.

Looking at other high-class equestrian events this year, the 2010 Games ticket prices are right on par. The upcoming World Equestrian Festival in Aachen, Germany, is a prestigious horse show with competitions in jumping, dressage, eventing, driving and vaulting. For final round stadium jumping tickets, premium seats range from £60 or around $76 to £135 or almost $171. The most expensive finals round jumping ticket at the 2010 Games is $130. In addition, the World Equestrian Festival is not a world championship.

Another bonus for buying a competition ticket at the 2010 Games is that grounds pass admission activities are included. This means that the ticketholder will have access to all of the activities that are available throughout the park on the day they have a competition ticket. These activities include the trade show, for spectator shopping; the Equine Village, where top clinicians and breed organizations will be giving demonstrations; the Kentucky Experience, where spectators can explore Kentucky tourism in one place, and the Alltech Experience, showcasing the products and programs of the title sponsor.

After comparing other event ticket prices with the ticket prices at the 2010 Games, and after looking at what a ticket to the Games will include, it is safe to say that the myth that “ticket prices are outrageous” is officially busted.

About the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games:
The Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games are the world championships of eight equestrian disciplines recognized by the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI). The Games are held every four years and this will be the first occurrence in the United States. Tickets to the 2010 Games are still available and can be purchased at www.alltechfeigames.com/tickets, at www.ticketmaster.com, through the Ticketmaster hotline at (800) 745-3000, or at your local Ticketmaster outlet.

The Games will be broadcast on NBC Sports, which marks the largest commitment to network coverage of equestrian sport in U.S. television history. The 2010 Games are expected to have a statewide economic impact of $167 million, and current sponsors include Alltech, Rolex, John Deere, Ariat International, Inc., Meydan, Kentucky Ale and the University of Kentucky. For more information on the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games please visit, www.alltechfeigames.com.

Holly Jeanne
Jul. 22, 2010, 10:39 AM
Let’s compare these prices to other ticket prices. Individual tickets for a University of Kentucky football home game start at $46 for a conference game. Tickets for the popular University of Kentucky vs. University of Louisville football game are listed on findticketsfast.com, a discount ticket website, for a minimum of $117.

Um, but you get to see the entire game for that. $85 only buys you a ticket for half the event at the WEG. (IE morning session or afternoon session but not the entire competition). I'm not even going to touch on the back and forth information on parking, hotel prices, etc.

S A McKee
Jul. 22, 2010, 11:24 AM
Um, but you get to see the entire game for that. $85 only buys you a ticket for half the event at the WEG. (IE morning session or afternoon session but not the entire competition). I'm not even going to touch on the back and forth information on parking, hotel prices, etc.

Exactly.
It would cost me about $450 for 1 ticket to all 4 days of show jumping plus $20 a day parking. Add to that flight and hotel. And maybe some other tickets or maybe a grounds pass at $25 to those days that don't have show jumping. Maybe 10 days worth of grounds passes. Another $250.

USEF uses demographic info that says all horse owners have a bazillion $ a year income and live on 1000 acre farms that cost a bazillion.
Someone needs to tell them that their info is wrong. LMAO

Because they believe their demographic info they are truly puzzled why any of us would think that spending a hefty amount of money for tickets alone is maybe not a good idea.

Fairview Horse Center
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:09 PM
USEF uses demographic info that says all horse owners have a bazillion $ a year income and live on 1000 acre farms that cost a bazillion.
Someone needs to tell them that their info is wrong. LMAO

There is a very large part of the horse world that thinks nothing of dropping $1000 every week for a show. The Hunters are the biggest part of the USEF. They move their homes south each year for the winter circuit, hire tutors for the kids, etc.

THOSE people are not worried about ticket prices, BUT THOSE people also get to watch international jumping competitions every week, and stand in line for their fresh lemonade behind an Olympic rider and have a chat catching up with each others lives. Why should they want to go fight the crowds, and not even be allowed to go chat with their friends, visit the horses, etc.?

I remember a friend of mine bringing one of her friends along to a few dressage and combined training events. That person was a Hunter show kid who kept asking where all of the big rigs were parked. :lol: :lol:

Fairview Horse Center
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
Splitting the daily sessions into two sessions is what has totally made every one so mad. That didn't happen in Atlanta for the Olympics!

bigbaytb
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
according to the american horse council demographic study of horse owners:

" Income Levels
The study dispels the misperception that the horse industry is an activity only for wealthy individuals. In fact, the horse industry is a diverse activity with stakeholders including recreational and show horse riders, and moderate-income track, show and stable employees and volunteers.
Approximately 34% of horse owners have a household income of less than $50,000 and 28% have an annual income of over $100,000. 46% of horse owners have an income of between $25,000 to $75,000. "

SO...WHERE DID USEF GET THEIR INFO?...

Mardi
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:52 PM
2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games Myth Busters

Release: July 15 2010
Author: Kristin Bednarski

Lexington, KY - The popular show MythBusters tests the validity of urban legends and myths and now we’re going to do the same. We are going to challenge some of the biggest rumors and myths about the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games. (Note: the following are actual myths).

Myth One: Ticket prices are outrageous!

Oh dear. Who's running the USEF marketing/public relations dept. ? Is this from the same dept that proclaimed that it would be un-American NOT to go to the WEG ?

Memo to USEF: to some people, the ticket prices ARE outrageous, to others they are not. Don't mock those people who can't afford to go because of the cost. It just makes USEF sound out of touch and arrogant.

Grace under pressure, USEF, grace under pressure. The WEG will be a great experience for many, many people. Let's play that up, shall we ?

S A McKee
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:58 PM
There is a very large part of the horse world that thinks nothing of dropping $1000 every week for a show. The Hunters are the biggest part of the USEF. They move their homes south each year for the winter circuit, hire tutors for the kids, etc.

:

Um, Well no.
Sure there are many who go to Wellington. But the MAJORITY of people showing hunters and jumpers get nowhere near the sunshine state in the winter.
If your premise were true there would be no need to have winter horse shows in the north east. And you'd think those folks would be the ones going south.
Pushing the image of wealthy horse people heading for Wellington is all part of the advertising thing, There is a need to make the 'normal' world feel they aren't quite normal unless they do go to Wellington, do buy exorbitantly priced tickets, overpriced clothing etc etc.
You have apparently swallowed some advertising Kool Aid LOL

USEF periodically sends out surveys that do cover financial info. But there is no way of knowing if a 10 year old child answered the survey or an adult. Multiple survey requests go to the same household. Very little control over the data or even an attempt to understand who is responding.

Fairview Horse Center
Jul. 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
Um, Well no.
Sure there are many who go to Wellington. But the MAJORITY of people showing hunters and jumpers get nowhere near the sunshine state in the winter.
If your premise were true there would be no need to have winter horse shows in the north east. And you'd think those folks would be the ones going south.

Well, Um, actually yes. Many do go south, but many of the USEF members are still showing at those other shows, and they are STILL dropping $1000 per show for classes, stabling, trainer fees, braiding, hauling, hotel bill, eating out as well as on the grounds, shopping at the booths, etc. Some go weekly, others once or twice a month.

Pushing the image of wealthy horse people heading for Wellington is all part of the advertising thing, There is a need to make the 'normal' world feel they aren't quite normal unless they do go to Wellington, do buy exorbitantly priced tickets, overpriced clothing etc etc.
You have apparently swallowed some advertising Kool Aid LOL

USEF members, like COTH magazine subscribers are a pretty well off bunch, and if they are dropping $10,000 to $50,000 + a year for showing, even if not going to Wellington, I am not seeing them balk at a few thousand for tickets and hotel.

BUT, like I said previously, THOSE Hunter/Jumper people in the majority for the USEF are seeing that kind of competition weekly for free.

The demographics for the general horse owners are much different as posted above.

Zevida
Jul. 22, 2010, 02:47 PM

Right, but you are getting about the same amount of time of the event. A football game is 3 hours or so, half of the day's event is probably 2-3 hours.

Ellie K
Jul. 22, 2010, 03:00 PM
Oh dear. Who's running the USEF marketing/public relations dept. ? Is this from the same dept that proclaimed that it would be un-American NOT to go to the WEG ?I know, when I first read that, I thought "This was written by a naive 21 year old marketing intern, not adequately supervised." I think it came from the WEG, though, and USEF just sent it out as well, not sure.

Did someone "official" really say it was "un American"??? :eek:

Mardi
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:42 PM
I know, when I first read that, I thought "This was written by a naive 21 year old marketing intern, not adequately supervised." I think it came from the WEG, though, and USEF just sent it out as well, not sure.

Did someone "official" really say it was "un American"??? :eek:

I believe it was one of their ads or press releases and was mentioned on the COTH forums when it came out. It was definitely in print.

I was mistaken to mention USEF's marketing dept., you're correct, it's WEG,
and the "mythbusters" is on their website under press releases.