PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddles for the height impaired?

soloudinhere
Mar. 9, 2010, 04:29 PM
I've done some searching, and it seems to me that there aren't a lot of choices for dressage saddles for short folks.

A search on the forum turned up the Prestige Lucky, and a few other models-- but they all seem to be 16", except for the stubben juventus.

I've had really, really bad luck with stubbens in the past having way too wide a twist for me. Does anyone have a juventus and can comment on the twist?

I don't see how I could fit my rear into a 16" seat when my much flatter jumping saddle is a 17". I sat in a bunch of dressage saddles last weekend and it seems that I fit nicely into a 17" for most of them, but the regular flaps come approximately to my ankles.

I can't afford to go custom-- the top of the budget is $1500. I see a lot of used Neidersuss saddles for sale, but buying used from a private seller means I can't return it if it is a horrible fit for me. The horse is an easy to fit TB.

I live close to pelham saddlery (well, within 2 hours or so) so I was thinking of going up there to try some saddles, but they have about 3 on the website with a short enough flap.

Do we think I could wedge myself into a 16"? (I am 5' tall and about 130lbs) is there any hope for me finding a short flap saddle I can afford in finite time?

Perfect Pony
Mar. 9, 2010, 04:37 PM
They are out there. I ended up finding a nice County WB w/ a short flap for $1500

Here's a few different ones on Ebay, do you know your horse's approximate tree size?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Stokes-17-5-Centaur-Dressage-Saddle_W0QQitemZ150420300448QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2305bfa2a0

http://cgi.ebay.com/USED-SCHLEESE-JES-ADVANCED-17-5-SHORT-FLAP-DRESS-SADDLE_W0QQitemZ320496391181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9f12d40d

There are also some, like this one, that look like they could be shortened easily
http://www.mmtackshop.com/paredrsa.html

When you need a shorter flap you have to get creative about shopping.

carolprudm
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:31 PM
They cost more than $1500 but I have been able to find 2 short flap County Connection demos

WSQHGal
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:31 PM
I too am in the same boat as you! The standard 17" saddles comes with a 17" flap, and I need a 15" - 16" flap. I have looked at Pelham saddlery AND M&M Tack ... and have not had much luck with them. From my hunting (I am currently looking right now too) I would suggest you try a Neidersuss of a Keifer. I know they have some at Pelham you could atleast try to see how they will work for you and your horse. Maybe look at a Verhan Odyssey Dressage Saddle or a Lazer? They are a little more expensive ...

Good luck!!

I'll definatly let you know if I come across anything :-)

Alagirl
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:35 PM
hehehehehe, the way the title is worded, it sounded like you needed a pillow to put under your bum :D

There are lovely AP saddles geared towards dressage, I think their flaps are a bit shorter.

paddles
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:39 PM
Look at the St├╝bben Juventus D. It is a youth saddle comes with a 17" seat short skirt. Retail is $1225 and it comes in 7 tree sizes.

ADM7040
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:52 PM
The Stubben Scandica DL also comes with a shorter flap and is designed "for the average to shorter legged rider" according to Stubben. The saddle comes in a 17" and comes in a wide range of tree sizes. My TB was measured for a 29 cm tree and I believe the range is something like 27-34 cms. Usually, you can find used Scandicas on ebay or in tack stores for much less than $1500. The Dover Saddlery in Hockessin, DE had a brand new one for $1500 earlier this year, maybe it is still there.

Good luck in your search!

paintlady
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:54 PM
Here is an Albion SLK Ultima - 17" seat, Medium tree (high head option good for a horse with withers) and a SHORT flap. The bidding starts at $1,400 or the buy-it-now price is $1,540 which is VERY good considering this saddle retails for about $3,500 new. The only "problem" is that it's brown. Personally, I love brown dressage saddles. If it was my size, etc. I'd go for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALBION-SLK-ULTIMA-HH-17-DRESSAGE-SADDLE-MEDIUM-TREE_W0QQitemZ200448119135QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item2eaba3915f

The Albion K2 dressage runs about $2,000 new. You can order it with a short flap at no extra charge - plus whatever seat and tree size you need.

soloudinhere
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know of any AP-styled saddles that would be suitable?

Also, I'm not sure about the HH albion...This horse doesn't strike me as having a particularly high wither, but she is a little bulky in the shoulder...

carolprudm
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:04 PM

Also, I'm not sure about the HH albion...This horse doesn't strike me as having a particularly high wither, but she is a little bulky in the shoulder...
County Eventer, and they are often available used in your price range

paintlady
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:05 PM

Albion K2 VSD. Here is a used one for $1,300.

http://www.horsetopia.com/for-sale/local/saddles/l328074

I'm not an Albion dealer - just happen to be familiar with them since I own two myself. :)

sdlbredfan
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:06 PM
I love my Thornhill JC (Jorge Canaves). It is an older model and I think has been renamed/redone as the Vienna? A friend who also is not very tall had a Niedersuss Symphony that fit both of us (I sometimes was asked to exercise her horse). For an AP, I would recommend either one of the Stubbens or a Courbette as they come in a variety of styles and flap designs.

paintlady
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:10 PM

According to this, the HH is made for "Thoroughbred-types."

The standard low head tree is suitable for the majority of horses and riders. The high head is contoured more steeply through the pommel for Thoroughbred-type horses that have very high, long withers.

leslie645
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:23 PM
Wintec makes an All Purpose that is suitable for flat work. In other words its an AP with a longer flap...(or a dressage with a shorter flap)
its called the Wintec VSD.
Not sure if a Wintec is the way u wanna go though...

soloudinhere
Mar. 9, 2010, 06:34 PM
I would like to stay as far away from wintec as possible, as the idea of a synthetic saddle totally offends my long-standing tack snob tendencies. I am hoping I will be able to find a good quality used saddle in my budget.

That albion is tempting but I am worried that a high wither M tree is going to be too narrow for this horse. My M tree pessoa jump saddle fits her perfectly, but my M tree antares is a little tight in the shoulder. I requested measurements.

pintopiaffe
Mar. 9, 2010, 07:02 PM
I haven't read all the replies, forgive me...

I am a short, fat 5'4"

What I have found, is that a VSD saddle suits me MUCH better than a 'pure' dressage. The flaps are perfect for me. My knees don't go over the flaps, without going up to impossible seat sizes. In a dressage saddle with a straight flap, I'd need an 18.5 or even 19" in some--but then the flap would (and does) hit my stirrup iron.

A VSD model will usually have a shorter flap and forward enough for my short legs.

Myself, I adore Passiers--mostly because His Princeness & the Pea approves, and they can be widened enough even for His Stupid Wideness... but also because my hip approves and my right leg does not fall asleep--not inconsequential requirements. :p

I also have loffed King's Saddlery with a short flap, and Rembrants with a short flap.

If you can figure out what length flap you need (16 is the LONGEST I can have!) then you can shop Ebay or online more easily... you CAN get flaps shortened for around $150-200 if you find a saddle you loff but the stirrup iron hits the flap. ;)

chebeau
Mar. 9, 2010, 07:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330412356266&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This has a 15 inch flap according to the ad. I'd jump on it, but the panels are wrong for my boy. Good luck in the saddle hunt.

Mallard
Mar. 9, 2010, 07:35 PM
I am 5' nothin' and 100lbs, so I also need a short-flapped saddle.
I had one made for my big guy 10 years ago (he is now retired) and I now needed something to fit the pony.
In my search last year I tried at least a dozen different saddles ... one of which was a 17" Stubben Juventus.
I did not like the quality of it at all. And it had horrible tan-coloured trim on it, that looked like plastic. And the seat was hard.

The Amerigo Vega has short flaps. We quite liked it.
Schleese JES also has short flaps...and this is what I ended up with. And we LOVE it.
Not sure if you can find used ones in your price range.

Maya01
Mar. 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
Passiers have an option for a shorter flap for the vertically challenged. However, I'm not sure if they only make the shorter flap for the smaller seat sizes. Barnsby's have a short flap, very comfy but aren't the best shape and style for many people, but you can definitely try it. Your best bet is to hunt for a used saddle custom made for a shorter person or just a used saddle in general. Best of luck! :)

Vesper Sparrow
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have the County Connection with the shorter, more forward flaps.

smhlin110
Mar. 10, 2010, 08:59 PM
Found this on the NEDA BB:

http://www.neda.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2995

I bought a Custom Saddlery with short flaps. I wavered between that and an Amerigo, which also comes in a short flap. Both new are out of your range, but maybe you can find an older one. Good luck - I feel your pain!

SLNELSON25
Mar. 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
Might I suggest you talk to someone at Trumbull Mtn tack? When I was looking for something, they narrowed down my choices based on what I needed as well as my horse. They could point you in the right direction.

I ride in an Black Country Equinox, and it is technically an AP, but with a definite dressage leaning. Not sure of flap length, but it is shorter than the dressage saddles I tried.

Good luck!

Perfect Pony
Mar. 10, 2010, 11:34 PM
I finally found this listing on ebay! If this was a 17.5-18in seat I would buy it in a second. It's the same saddle that is made for Mike Corcoran and sells for about $4000, I have ridden in them and they are absolutely wonderful. I am so totally bummed I can't buy it, but there's no way I could fit in the seat.

Somebody needs to jump on this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Quality-Dressage-Saddle-16-5-17-short-flaps_W0QQitemZ260562013354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3caab4ccaa

Ltc4h
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:33 PM
Not sure if still available since Crosby sold-may need to search used.
But the Robert Dover Freestyle comes/came with a 14.5" flap.
They ride nice-mine is a 17" seat/reg tree/short flap.

paintlady
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
I finally found this listing on ebay! If this was a 17.5-18in seat I would buy it in a second. It's the same saddle that is made for Mike Corcoran and sells for about $4000, I have ridden in them and they are absolutely wonderful. I am so totally bummed I can't buy it, but there's no way I could fit in the seat.

Somebody needs to jump on this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Quality-Dressage-Saddle-16-5-17-short-flaps_W0QQitemZ260562013354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3caab4ccaa

Looks like someone did jump on it... it's sold.

Trevelyan96
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:49 PM
The County Drespri is also a great option. It has the shorter adjustable flaps, is very comfortable, and fits my typical TB very well. You can often find them used for under 1K.

I love mine, unfortunately it fits DD's typical TB, but not my shorter TB, who is built like a little tank. :(

I'm 4'11" and I also found the Anky seemed to fit me rather well. Still saving up for it.

OneFineMess
Mar. 13, 2010, 12:04 AM
I am about 5'3-4 and have an older Laser saddle. I think it might be the 747 model. Not only does it have short flaps, but I find it super comfy, soft calf skin, and it's adjustable as well. I have also ridden in a schleese jes which I found A bit too wide in the twist, although I have narrow hips.

Perfect Pony
Mar. 13, 2010, 10:23 AM
Looks like someone did jump on it... it's sold.

It didn't sell, the listing ended without it selling.

It seriously is one of the nicest saddles made, I have been looking for a used one in my size for 3 years..

Megsabelle
Mar. 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
Found this on the NEDA BB:

http://www.neda.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2995

I bought a Custom Saddlery with short flaps. I wavered between that and an Amerigo, which also comes in a short flap. Both new are out of your range, but maybe you can find an older one. Good luck - I feel your pain!

Heh, that's mine, and it's still available! :D