PDA

View Full Version : Green Ribbon Campaign?

Ibex
Mar. 9, 2010, 03:13 PM
A friend is reporting that a number of riders in Wellington are sporting TBI Awareness Green Ribbons.

Anyone know if this is an organized campaign aimed at riders, or just something spontaneous? It would be good if it could be a longer term awareness program rather than just a shortterm, knee jerk reaction...

Alagirl
Mar. 9, 2010, 03:45 PM
TBI?

yaya
Mar. 9, 2010, 03:47 PM
Traumatic Brain Injury

WishIWereRiding
Mar. 9, 2010, 03:59 PM
You know what a better campaign is? Where your helmet, instead of a green ribbon! Wearing a green ribbon will do sh-t for TBIs.

Ajierene
Mar. 9, 2010, 04:03 PM
oh, wear a green helmet!

I agree, though - wear a helmet, not a ribbon. A ribbon won't help you if you fall from your horse.

Hampton Bay
Mar. 9, 2010, 04:29 PM
While the green ribbon won't help you if you fall, it's a good conversation starter for when you're not on the horse.

It's interesting that someone recently chose green, since there has been a Silver Ribbon campaign for years. http://www.silverribbon.org/

Ibex
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:07 PM
While the green ribbon won't help you if you fall, it's a good conversation starter for when you're not on the horse.

It's interesting that someone recently chose green, since there has been a Silver Ribbon campaign for years. http://www.silverribbon.org/

'perzactly. Somehow I was thinking that the message would combine the ribbon with actually wearing helmets at all times, including in the ring ;)

Don't know why the colour choice; I did notice that the green ribbon has been associated with TBI before, whereas silver seems to maybe be more focused on disease aspects??

Alagirl
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:25 PM
I am lost in this ribbon for something world...

Around here they annexed red ribbons for drug freeness...:lol:

pink for breast cancer, baby blue for prostate, yellow, red white and blue....

I lost track of them all...

SisterToSoreFoot
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:25 PM
Many of the ribbons--prostate, breast cancer, etc--are focused on both raising awareness and PREVENTION of those diseases by screenings, frequent check-ups, etc. This green ribbon campaign is pointless unless it accompanied by a "prevention" element--i.e. a helmet wearing campaign. No rider who goes into the ring without a helmet has any right to wear a green ribbon, IMO. It would be like a committed smoker wearing a ribbon for lung cancer awareness.

poltroon
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:28 PM
How about a skunk helmet with a green stripe instead, eh?

poltroon
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:29 PM
It would be like a committed smoker wearing a ribbon for lung cancer awareness.

While simultaneously puffing a cigarette.

Hampton Bay
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:42 PM
Agreed. The ribbon means nothing unless you DO something about it. Otherwise it's just a fashion statement.

poltroon
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:51 PM
Agreed. The ribbon means nothing unless you DO something about it. Otherwise it's just a fashion statement.

Wearing the ribbon with a top hat says to me, "I care, but not enough to be inconvenienced in any way."

Better to leave it off and let people wonder.

meupatdoes
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:23 PM
I personally find the green ribbon and top hat combo to miss the point so completely that it is borderline flippant/offensive.

Obviously your "This Is How Much I Care" Photo-Op will be more flattering if you have on a pretty ribbon under an elegant top hat, but that is a BRAIN INJURY AWARENESS ribbon you are wearing under that top hat. COME. ON.

If people still want to go helmetless, obviously that is their decision, but then please do not go riding around like some TBI awareness poster child with your ribbon to show everyone how deeply you care. Yeah, your TBI awareness runs deep, huh?

It's freakin' RIDICULOUS.

Ibex
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:26 PM
Has anyone SEEN riders in green ribbons and top hats??? I'm not in Wellington so I haven't seen the ribbons myself.

I agree, it defeats the purpose. I'd assumed people were wearing them WITH HELMETS. :no:

mswillie
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:34 PM
I don't know, how about wearing a green ribbon pinned, glued, taped, sewn, or otherwise attached to your helmet. Sitting on your head. Properly secured in place with the harness.

I'll never reach the upper levels, I'm just not talented enough but I really wish I could, just so I could wear my helmet.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:40 PM
Why not kill two birds with one stone and wear a green ribbon with a white baseball hat?

meup, I always agree with everything you say.

meupatdoes
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:43 PM
Has anyone SEEN riders in green ribbons and top hats??? I'm not in Wellington so I haven't seen the ribbons myself.

I agree, it defeats the purpose. I'd assumed people were wearing them WITH HELMETS. :no:

Yep. (http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4976:ribbons-prayers-and-helmets-in-solidarity-for-courtney-dye&catid=307:10dif&Itemid=420)

There's more pics with more people if you look up Palm Beach Derby results. I think there's a pair of young riders riding along, green ribbons all aflutter under their top hats...

wtf.

eta
This (http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=5324) is the pic I was thinking of.

Hampton Bay
Mar. 10, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm agreeing that wearing the ribbon with the top hat is in poor taste. It says "I care more about how I look than I do about my brain".

And I'm saying all of this as someone whose life was saved by a helmet, but who STILL has issues from a TBI after 4 years. Try having a headache for 4 years straight. It ain't fun. I'm so thankful it's not worse, and that I had started wearing a helmet only months prior to my fall.

So yeah, I am a bit offended and amazed by those who will pin on any ribbon without a second thought as to what it actually means.

But at least the whole issue is getting a bit more attention. And I for one do plan to make it to FEI at some point, and I will totally be rocking the shad and helmet when I do. My FEI prospect is only 2 though, so it will be a while :)

mswillie
Mar. 10, 2010, 08:48 PM
But at least the whole issue is getting a bit more attention. And I for one do plan to make it to FEI at some point, and I will totally be rocking the shad and helmet when I do. My FEI prospect is only 2 though, so it will be a while :)

Let me know when you do. I'll be right there, cheering you on. Quietly of course. :)

Mukluk
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:28 PM
A friend has a sticker on the back of her helmet that reads "brain damage sucks!" I thought that was awesome. Wearing a helmet and indicating WHY makes people think. I want to get a sticker for mine that reads "Eat vegetables... Don't be one." How many people wear a seat belt every time they drive.... but won't wear a helmet? PLEASE everyone WEAR a helmet.... so simple.... and it could save your life! What is your horse going to do, not to mention your family and friends when you are DEAD or BRAIN DAMAGED?!!!!

Hampton Bay
Mar. 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
Let me know when you do. I'll be right there, cheering you on. Quietly of course. :)

The quietly would be appreciated. If this filly ends up being anything like her mother, she could be prone to random displays of being a butthead :)

Give us 10 years, but when it happens I will post pics.

carolprudm
Mar. 10, 2010, 10:34 PM
Yep. (http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4976:ribbons-prayers-and-helmets-in-solidarity-for-courtney-dye&catid=307:10dif&Itemid=420)

There's more pics with more people if you look up Palm Beach Derby results. I think there's a pair of young riders riding along, green ribbons all aflutter under their top hats...

wtf.

eta
This (http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=5324) is the pic I was thinking of.

But dontcha know it can't happen to THEM

SonnysMom
Mar. 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
Are the riders wearing it as a TBI awareness or as a "Courtney King Dye- we are thinking of you and hope you get well" kinda way?

meupatdoes
Mar. 11, 2010, 09:56 AM
Are the riders wearing it as a TBI awareness or as a "Courtney King Dye- we are thinking of you and hope you get well" kinda way?

As the linked article states, "The green ribbon is the symbol of brain injury."

Green is the color for TBI awareness the way pink is the color for breast cancer.

If they are going to support Courtney helmetless, fine, but don't just so happen to wear the TBI colors then. Wear her initials on your lapel or do something else.

WishIWereRiding
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:15 AM
This really gets me. Sorry if I offend anyone, and I don't care if I do, but wearing the green ribbon with your hand over your heart and your top hat on is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Please! How incredibly dumb can these people be? A horse is not a robot. They have their own brain and set of legs, and at any moment even the best horse could stumble and fall. If these riders think otherwise, they are incredibly stupid and foolish. But maybe if they do have a brain injury then they wouldn't reproduce and Darwinism would be at work. Sorry to be so nasty, but I just think the whole thing is so absurd!

Kaelurus
Mar. 11, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'll never reach the upper levels, I'm just not talented enough but I really wish I could, just so I could wear my helmet.

Here in Central Florida, there is a lady who regularly wears her helmet (with tails) in the FEI ring. I saw her ride a GP in her helmet at the Ocala Winter Classic in January. :yes:

paintlady
Mar. 11, 2010, 02:57 PM
This really gets me. Sorry if I offend anyone, and I don't care if I do, but wearing the green ribbon with your hand over your heart and your top hat on is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Please! How incredibly dumb can these people be? A horse is not a robot. They have their own brain and set of legs, and at any moment even the best horse could stumble and fall. If these riders think otherwise, they are incredibly stupid and foolish. But maybe if they do have a brain injury then they wouldn't reproduce and Darwinism would be at work. Sorry to be so nasty, but I just think the whole thing is so absurd!

I agree with you...

Ibex
Mar. 11, 2010, 03:05 PM
I don't think the concept of wearing a ribbon is at all absurd, IF the wearer also wears a helmet. I was thinking it would be a good campaign locally (we have one FEI rider who wears her helmet), but only if people follow the spirit of the intent. :no:

SisterToSoreFoot
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:37 PM
But dontcha know it can't happen to THEM

Some people who don't wear helmets cite odds as their reason, i.e. "what are the chances?" Which particularly doesn't make sense if you ARE a professional and riding 8+ horses a day. Obviously, the more your butt is in the saddle, the more chances you have to eat dirt. It's professionals like Courtney who are most at risk, which is why professionals should be donning helmets in the wake of this tragedy.

mademoiselle
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:05 AM
I don't get it. Yesterday, I went to take a lesson with one of my trainers in Wellington and then I went to watch my other trainer ride (she was riding with 5 other BNTs (very,very known riders). out of the 6 riders only my trainer and an other one were the only people wearing a helmet and 3 other riders were wearing the green ribbon and nothing on their head. WTF ?
I almost made a comment, but my trainer told me to shut up

SillyHorse
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:27 AM
What a bunch of pompous asses, wearing green ribbons but no helmets. I wouldn't shed a tear for any one of them who suffered a TBI from an unplanned dismount.

WishIWereRiding
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:30 AM
What a bunch of pompous asses, wearing green ribbons but no helmets. I wouldn't shed a tear for any one of them who suffered a TBI from an unplanned dismount.

I couldn't agree more!

danceronice
Mar. 12, 2010, 10:42 AM
Dear Riders in those pictures:

You know, if you don't want to wear a helmet, your choice. If you don't care about your brain or what it would put your family and friends through if you smashed your skull open, why should I? But the TBI awareness ribbon + totally useless yet stylin' top hat makes you look not just like an idiot, but a hypocrite. Is your brain functioning NOW? Because it ought to be telling you "If Courtney can take a freak fall off a green horse, SO COULD I." You want to raise awareness, wear a helmet.

No love,
Me

PletchersMom
Mar. 12, 2010, 10:52 AM
My preference is to wear a helmet....and after reading all this, I would wear the ribbon, but I would probably put it on the corner of my square saddle pad, just pinning it there so it can be there for all my rides.

Trevelyan96
Mar. 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Honestly, those wearing the green ribbon with a tophat strike me as being just a bunch of senseless Jr. High, sheep. "Oh... don't forget your green ribbon, everyone is wearing them to show support for Courtney.' kind of mentality. Not a whole lot different than the entire school crying and showing up for the funeral of a kid they didn't even know.

Luckily I have no power... If I were at the in gate I'd rip those meaningless little green ribbons off every rider coming through who wasn't wearing a helmet and write their names on the 'wall of shame'.

Kaelurus
Mar. 14, 2010, 08:05 PM
I like the idea of putting a ribbon on my saddle pad. I also would like to find a green ribbon sticker that I can put front and center on my helmet stripe (the IRH in my profile pic). The jumpers put all kinds of bling on their stripes. I think a simple green ribbon will look just fine on mine :yes: