PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Boots: Hispar vs Treadstone

PennyChrome
Mar. 9, 2010, 12:19 AM
Hello all,
I am in the market for a pair of decent looking, comfortable, and hopefully tough-as-nails schooling dress boot. I already have a nice pair for clinicing and showing, but I need an everyday pair to wear . . . everyday. 'Working Student' means sorry no cash for you' so I am thinking around $200 or less. Two brands I have seen that look nice enough are Hispar and Treadstone, which is better? Comfortable footbed is definitely a plus since I'll wear them all day. Definitely need a zipper.

Is one better than the other? Any other moderately priced suggestions??? What about Ovation? Thanks all!!

billiebob
Mar. 9, 2010, 12:24 AM
I have no experience with Hispar boots but I LOVE my Treadstone field boots! Comfortable from the get-go, no real issues breaking them in, nice leather for the price.....and this is coming from someone who HATES HATES HATES tall boots. Except my Treadstones. :D

Coreene
Mar. 9, 2010, 12:50 AM
Have a pair of Hispars. Buy the others. Or see if you can buy some Effinghams on eBay.

PennyChrome
Mar. 9, 2010, 12:55 AM
Ha ha I do frequent Ebay and have gotten really nice older boots that way. I love the classic look of vintage boots, but unfortunately the zipper/comfy footbed equation is not so common with Dehner/Effingham/Marlborough/ oldies.

Dublin is another brand that makes cheap dress boots. Anyone here?

SisterToSoreFoot
Mar. 9, 2010, 01:02 AM
I have a pair of Treadstones dress boots and they are excellent for the price. They have a nice cut (high on the outside to elongate the leg), look sharp, and are just soft enough to be comfy but not floppy. I've been very pleased with mine.

Simbalism
Mar. 9, 2010, 01:55 AM
In a thread on the Off Course forum there is extensive negative comments on the Hispars.

jn4jenny
Mar. 9, 2010, 07:47 AM
Treadstone all the way. I LOFF my Treadstone field boots. Wouldn't trade them for anything less than custom Der Daus or Sergios.

scubed
Mar. 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
Treadstone's on sale for $125 here (in limited sizes):
http://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/istar.asp?a=6&id=207FBZ!TREAD

Many people also swear by the mountain horse: http://www.classicsaddlery.com/boots/bootsridingmountainhorse.htm

These are also in a good price range and quite comfortable. I like the XTC footbed: http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?ic=OUER10487h

Mallard
Mar. 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
I have Tredstep half chaps.
I just got a new pair.
I wore my first ones out...after nearly TEN years of daily wearing.
Tredstep makes quality stuff!

Valentina_32926
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
Before they were called Hispar they were called Nittany boots. I ordered a pair, they charged my Visa but since I didn't have the boots yet I disputed the charge with Visa - smartest thing I ever did. Sent them back and never paid for them. Since Nittany went out of business (re-opened as Hispar) the boots were returned to me so they still lay in my closet - totally useless.

When I did finally got the boots there was a hole in the foot bed, foot bed was too wide and the was zipper broken.

Do NOT buy Nittany/Hispar!

The Centaurian
Mar. 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
The Treadstones are pretty nice boots. You have to take good care of them in order to keep them black. Also, I put insoles in mine because they don't come with any padding/arch support.

PennyChrome
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks all, sounds like Treadstone is far superior to the Hispars (I have read some of the negatives in other threads).

Scubed - thanks for the links!

nighthitcher
Apr. 2, 2010, 08:14 AM
sounds good to me

PennyChrome
Jul. 11, 2010, 03:58 PM
I ended up buying the newer Mountain Horse "Firenze" Dress Boot for about $200. Had them four months now, use daily. Totally awesome quality, good zipper, comfy footbed, nice leather. Very low profile, more of a H/J look, but still a dress boot (aka no laces). Perfect for what I wanted, a comfortable, yet still formal schooling boot that is hard wearing. Definitely recommend!

NCSue
Jul. 12, 2010, 12:03 PM
Mt. Horse boots last and last and last. You may have to replace the zipper. Mine are 3+ years and get worn almost every day for quite a few hours. I hear the newer models fit a little neater through the ankle. That would be a plus. Mt. Horse has more than one model. I found they fit pretty close to the size chart. Foot may be wider than some brands which, for me, is a plus.

My second choice would be Treadstone's. I'm ordering a pair for my daughter. Not able to give you a running commentary.