PDA

View Full Version : Rembrandt saddles??

ChestnutShowJumper
Mar. 8, 2010, 11:01 PM
Hi All,
I have been a regular on the hunter/jumper forum but have just started taking dressage lessons with my jumper mare and I wanted to ask some advice on saddles. I am looking for an inexpensive dressage saddle since I just recently bought a new close contact. In addition I just started taking dressage lessons about 3 months ago. I have always incorporated the dressage basics but have not actually had a true dressage trainer before now. Someone I know has a 10 year old Rembrandt Integra saddle with the wellup adjustable gullet. Has anyone ever heard of or had experience with this saddle or the wellup system? I have a very hard to fit TB mare. She is an old style TB, heavier build but has the sharkfin withers. Any experiences/ suggestions would be great! Thanks!:)

Sonesta
Mar. 8, 2010, 11:11 PM
I have one of the original Rembrandt Integra adjustable tree saddles and it is my favorite saddle ever. It fits everything from knive withered TBs to mutton withered wide backed Arabians and everything in between.

Keg-A-Bacchus
Mar. 9, 2010, 12:31 AM
OMG! I just bought one a few weeks ago on my terribly hard to fit wide Spanish Mustang with a short back. I can't afford a custom for him this year so I got one of these I could tweak myself. Gusseted panels come back to far on him so the Rembrandt has an upswept panel so it leaves his back at the right spot. I absolutely LOVE it! It's so easy to adjust and within minutes I had a perfectly fit saddle. It's a deep seat (which I need on him as he's slightly downhill and it keeps me from slipping onto his shoulder) and put me in perfectly aligned position. The custom saddle I usually ride in is like sitting in butter so I'm a bit spoiled as far as that goes...but it only took me a few minutes to adjust to the more firm seat. Two thumbs up from me!

As a side note, my saddler did say that they have had problems with the screw breaking and collapsing onto the horses wither...ouch! However, I have only read good reviews on them and I feel like it's a minimal risk to take for a saddle that I can adjust to almost any horse I want within a minute. Hopefully it fits you and your horse and you'll be as happy as I am with mine :)

Sonesta
Mar. 9, 2010, 09:17 AM
There were a later batch of these saddles that had problems that you mentioned. But you can contact Classic Saddlery and give them the serial number of the saddle you are considering and they can tell you if it's one of the bad ones and whether it has been repaired by them. If it is one from the bad lot and has not yet been repaired, they can do it for you for a couple hundred dollars - very much worth it.

Keg-A-Bacchus
Mar. 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks Sonesta! I will do that right away! I didn't know it was just a particular batch that had the problems. Definitely worth the money if it will prevent it from collapsing. I just wish I'd had one of these saddles when we had 5 young horses to ride. A different saddle for each, not to mention they changed weekly! I'm practically a professional shimmer now! LOL This saddle would have made my life about a million times easier!

DHJErider
Jan. 3, 2011, 10:07 PM
Reply to the above...

The rembrandt saddle is something i recommend using. i have been jumping for 8 years and dressage for 3 years. i use a rembrandt saddle for both. i use the same saddle for both my thoroughbred gelding ( who also as that old tb wither) and my quarter horse. both horses find it comfortable and easy to move in, and its comfortable to sit in! The adjustable gullet relly helps. If i had more of these saddles i would be letting my students and friends use them, they are the best saddles ive ever purchased!:)

lorilu
Jan. 4, 2011, 07:50 AM
I currently ride in one (Integra), and would love to find one jut a bit bigger - I HAD an 18.5 many years ago, sold it, now could only find an 18....I love the saddle.

I had one of the bad ones way back then, but they fixed it just fine, and the girl who owns it rides regularly in it. NO trouble with newer one.

L

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:38 AM
I loved mine. Could keep a very correct position in it. Very comfortable and well made. Never had a problem with the wellup thing. But my mare was built downhill and it was not a great match for my mare who ended up needing something less A-framed.

VickiNicki30
Jan. 4, 2011, 11:41 AM
I had a Rembrandt Integra adjustable tree dressage saddle years ago, and although I very good care of it I had a ton of trouble with it slipping and becoming wide during my rides. It was before they had a locking feature. I would be very careful when buying an adjustable tree saddle.

jn4jenny
Jan. 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
If you're fitting a single mare, an alternative would be to look at the Passier Grand Gilbert or the Thornhill Vienna. The Rembrandt Integra is essentially a wider-twisted model of the Passier Grand Gilbert--it's even built on the same tree and was built in the Passier factory for the first year of its manufacture (manufacture was then moved to Walsall, England). The Passier Grand Gilbert is very similar but with a narrower twist and a slightly faster rise to the pommel. The Thornhill Vienna is a good knockoff of the Grand Gilbert, also on the narrow twist side but not quiiiiite as narrow as the Grand Gilbert and with a slightly different block. The Rembrandt is the only one that comes with the adjustable gullet, and not all of them have that feature. They can also be found with an adjustable stirrup bar.

These saddles are all known for being a good fit on high-withered, curvy-backed horses and long-legged riders.

Classicgal
Jan. 4, 2011, 11:59 AM
I have one and love it. It came with my horse who has similar conformation than you mentioned. His former owners sold tack and said it was the only one that fit (granted they did not have some of the high end stuff out today). I did ride in another that was smaller and not as comfortable for me, but was fine for a much less difficult horse to fit.

Pocket Pony
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
I had one and I loved it . . . until I started sitting the trot a lot. OUCH! I did absolutely love the adjustable stirrup bar feature! And the adjustable tree was helpful from winter to summer when Paddy would get more fit. He's a TB with high withers and well-sprung ribs. I think he likes my Prestige more, and so do my nether regions! :eek::lol:

DancingFoalFarms
Jan. 5, 2011, 01:09 AM
I love, love, love my Integra! I had a Prestige 2000D which fit my big WBs quite well, but my new mare (AQHA) is wide shouldered with almost no withers. The Prestige was a no-go, so I sold that, and managed to find a used Rembrandt on Ebay. It's one of the few saddles I've owned that fits the horse and me without breaking the bank :D