PDA

View Full Version : How to get her started?

rijkenberg
Mar. 6, 2010, 06:36 PM
So my daughter doesn't "really" want to jump anymore, and loves the flat work portion of her lessons...hmmm...I think it's time to properly introduce her to dressage.

My question is - how essential is it for her to work with a "dressage coach" right from the start?

We do have access to a couple of really good jumper/equitation coaches - but not a dressage coach.

She is not quite 13 in case that makes a difference.

joiedevie99
Mar. 6, 2010, 06:38 PM
What area of the country are you located in? Maybe you could visit a dressage trainer once a month for a lesson on one of their ponies, and take regular lessons with whoever she has access to that has a solid basics.

CHT
Mar. 6, 2010, 08:33 PM
Depends on her goals and if the coaches that you have are willing/able to teach more advanced flat work.

If she does develope an interest for dressage, she will likely have to unlearn certain hunt seat skills, and learn to use different muscles (and not use certain muscles)...so I think switching sooner rather than later is a good idea.

merrygoround
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:22 PM
Depends on her goals and if the coaches that you have are willing/able to teach more advanced flat work.

If she does develope an interest for dressage, she will likely have to unlearn certain hunt seat skills, and learn to use different muscles (and not use certain muscles)...so I think switching sooner rather than later is a good idea.

Access to well schooled horses is another aspect that is very important. You don't say whether she has a horse or not.

rijkenberg
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thank you for your response:

Joiedevie99 - we are east of Toronto, Ontario - if you have any suggestions on who would have school type horses - and that would take on newbies that would be appreciated.

CHT - at this point her goal is simply "to learn" - she doesn't have a good grasp on what the various levels require. Good point about the muscle usage.

Merrygoround - she does not have her own at this point, we do have access to two ponies & a small horse - two of the three could pull off a first level test if they had a "tune up" - I'm thinking they would be appropriate to start on? Should we be looking for a more advanced schoolmaster right from the beginning?

Thank you.

goeslikestink
Mar. 7, 2010, 01:11 PM
i wudl get to join a 4-h club or pony club then she can cover most displines and seee what she wants to do

Baby
Mar. 7, 2010, 01:35 PM
Pony Club is a good idea! Here's a list of level 3 coaches from Dressage Canada http://www.equinecanada.ca/dressage/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=14&Itemid=463
CADORA is also a really good place to start, maybe if you were to contact them for some info on coaches not necessarily at the upper levels.
Regarding getting a schoolmaster from the start, this doesn't really matter unless she wants to do FEI levels in the next few years. Most horses can be trained to do levels 1 & 2.
Definitely look into clinics and lessons with a good coach though, even if she does go back to the h/j world eventually, she'll be well armed with the foundations of all flat work.