PDA

View Full Version : Consumerism at Dressage Shows

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 6, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'd like to call on the huge number of opinions available on Coth ;) and present this poll that may help me to get my VERY sore bum off the fence!

Thanks for any and all opinions. Please note this is NOT advertising any one product, so don't e-mail me. I'm just trying to get a feel for this whole idea of setting up a booth a some of the shows. Specifically at this point, PVDA Ride for Life. (I hope I can say that!) But others too.

Thanks.

mickeydoodle
Mar. 6, 2010, 12:33 PM
I always look and usually buy. I really like good deals (got two beautiful saddle pads yesterday at the Palm Beach Derby for $20 each, and boot socks for $5)

Anselcat
Mar. 6, 2010, 02:19 PM
None of your responses fit for me, so:

I most always look at the vendors. There's usually time to do it and it's fun. I buy if its a necessity (forgot something), if its convenient (i need it and it's a good deal), if it's something new and unusual or just catches my fancy (and not too pricey). I would not buy an expensive (say, over $50) non-tack item -- paintings, fancy jewelry, etc -- because I don't like buying expensive stuff on the spur of the moment.

I have taken business cards, but only one I followed up on was saddle fitting.

Hope this helps.

Highflyer
Mar. 6, 2010, 02:39 PM
Pretty much what Anselcat said--I mostly buy stuff to replace stuff I broke/ forgot, necessities like fly spray etc if they're on sale, or stuff that is unique and cool as gifts. Occasionally I've gotten a discount coupon/ gift certificate in an entry packet or as a prize, and then I'm more likely to visit the vendor on site or the website after (if I didn't have time during the show.) Otherwise I would most likely only follow up on it if it was something really special that I couldn't find locally--Christmas gift etc. My purchases tend to be carefully planned and coordinated, since I'm poor.

winfieldfarm
Mar. 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
Consumerism at a show - the best way to make money at a show as a commercial exhibiter is to have a lively booth. Don't just sit on your duff at the back of your booth and meekly watch the world go by. You can sell popsicles to an Eskimo if they think they are getting a good deal.

I will buy. I will very thoroughly investigate every inch of just about any vendor booth for all things good and necessary.

The best vendor ploy I know belongs to a friend, who will remain nameless but some may recognize this. This vendor is a staple, an icon in certain circles. This vendor always has a live feed in the booth of the show, good for folks to sit down and stay a while. there is always signature candy to munch and they offer a tips only service that is completely unrelated to their major items but gets smaller items sold out.

Be more than a vendor. be a place for folks to remember, love and faithfully visit.

And mickeydoodle...Palm Beach? Really? you suck. I hope you get a sun burn, you stinker.

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
Great responses so far. Keep it coming!

Thanks!

NJR

magienoire
Mar. 6, 2010, 07:55 PM
I loff loff loff vendors at shows! I don't always buy, but I always look. If I have the budget, I'll buy breeches or other clothing because I really like to try them on before buying, and I don't have a local tack shop to do that in. I might buy a saddle pad, but not very likely. I am so rarely in the market for tack that I can't say I have ever bought any at a show, but I will look at it if its there. I take cards from vendors I like and add them to my list of online places to shop if they have a website.

joiedevie99
Mar. 6, 2010, 08:03 PM
If I forgot to bring something I need, I'll buy it. I will almost always take the time to walk around and look for really good deals.

Occasionally, I will buy something unique (a beaded stock pin last year), or something big I've been thinking about buying (like a bit or girth), and really like when I see it in person.

merrygoround
Mar. 6, 2010, 08:14 PM
I also like to look at what the vendors have to offer. Occasionally, if it is something unique and I'm feeling more solvent than usual, ;) I will buy.

JRG
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:25 PM
I always look. If it something I use anyway and will get it sometime, I probably wouldn't buy it at a show, but if it is a good price I will.

I always look for new, different, unique..then I will buy. Love shopping at shows.

mickeydoodle
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:27 PM
Consumerism at a show - the best way to make money at a show as a commercial exhibiter is to have a lively booth. Don't just sit on your duff at the back of your booth and meekly watch the world go by. You can sell popsicles to an Eskimo if they think they are getting a good deal.

I will buy. I will very thoroughly investigate every inch of just about any vendor booth for all things good and necessary.

The best vendor ploy I know belongs to a friend, who will remain nameless but some may recognize this. This vendor is a staple, an icon in certain circles. This vendor always has a live feed in the booth of the show, good for folks to sit down and stay a while. there is always signature candy to munch and they offer a tips only service that is completely unrelated to their major items but gets smaller items sold out.

Be more than a vendor. be a place for folks to remember, love and faithfully visit.

And mickeydoodle...Palm Beach? Really? you suck. I hope you get a sun burn, you stinker.

yeah, my nose and cheeks got a little red this weekend, as I sweated off the sunscreen during my lessons........ i work my ass off for over 300 days a year to get 6 weeks in Wellyworld to ride, and have a lesson 5 or 6 days a week- hopefully to improve

I think the things that sell best at horse shows come from vendors who have "loss leaders" ie saddle pads or some necessity for a low price, then you buy that, and it leads to buying other things

cyndi
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:00 PM
No one response fit me either. I look at almost all the vendors that have tack/apparel. If it's high end jewelry, art, etc, I don't even slow down.

Shows are the only place I can really touch and feel the stuff I see in catalogs, since there's only one tack store in our area and it's 1+ hour away from me.

I almost always buy something - but it has to be priced competitively. And I know generally the prices of stuff I am interested in. For instance, I needed a Herm sprenger bit. Knew exactly which one I wanted - but the one vendor who had it had it priced at least 30% higher than what I could order it for. Even if it had been priced just a little more, I would have bought it.

I buy almost all my show clothing from show vendors because it's such a pain to buy/return when shopping online/catalog. I am in the Houston area and there are usually 3 or 4 tack/clothing vendors at our shows, with a good selection. I often buy saddle pads from show vendors too.

Coreene
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
I bought an entire suitcase full of stuff in Aachen in 2005. All of it stuff I'd never find here or stuff that was so insanely well priced that I could not walk past it.

Silver~Image~Farm
Mar. 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
I always look and often buy as well.....but FYI, I think the "browband" thing has been done alot in Region 1 so you may find that your "target market" is not as big as it might have been in previous years, fwiw.:winkgrin:

CatOnLap
Mar. 7, 2010, 11:05 AM
Never mind the negative nelly. There is always a market for quality and artistry.

I always look, often buy, sometimes take a business card, sometimes follow up. I buy things that are unique, reasonably priced and well made. Your product fits the bill.

I am turned off by overly enthusiastic salespeople when I am only browsing and am likely to walk away if there is a strong "pitch". I have lived among eskimos and never bought any snow, IYKWIM.

I love a strong colourful display, and especially if there is a monitor showing recording of related stuff- like the fabric arena guy who had a tape of one of his arena's being erected, or in your case, perhaps a nice vid of horses wearing your product while doing their disciplines. Have the horses demonstrate your product!

ESG
Mar. 7, 2010, 11:16 AM
I always shop at shows, and I usually find something I can't live without. ;) It has to be competitively priced, though, and at least somewhat unusual.

Oh, and the biggest crowds on our vendor row are usually around the browband lady's booth. Not the expensive one (y'all know which one that is), but the "local" (Texas) lady who does custom work, and brings some of her other designs for direct purchase.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah, no resopnses fit me. I LOVE browsing the vendors at shows, and often buy stuff I don't really need, especially if I'm licking my wounds after a really lousy ride.

On the other hand, I'll celebrate good rides with treats for my horse or me, so it's all good.

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 7, 2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all replies so far. It's been helpful, for sure.

So booths need a catch, right? I've always agreed with that, and was hoping others would mention it as well.

Keep it coming if there are any more suggestions/opinions you'd like to share.

NJR
(And, who said it was just browbands??? :winkgrin: )

Melyni
Mar. 7, 2010, 04:02 PM
and I always go take a look. I don't always buy, but if they have something I have forgotten!!!!!

And any really new neat stuff, well nuff said.

MW

suzier444
Mar. 7, 2010, 04:24 PM
there is no "shop till you drop for the fun of it" option... :-D

I am most likely to buy something if it is unique in some way, particularly if it is colorful. I am a sucker for matchy-matchy, color-coordinated outfits, so if I were going to try to run a shop at a show, I'd probably go for cute rider-and-horse outfits displayed nicely together so people could shop for a whole "look." I also think of shows as a great place to get horse-themed gifts and items like art or jewelry or ornaments, or books that you'd otherwise have to get online. So if I were setting up a shop, I'd probably want some books and art-type items. I'd also sell basics that people might forget at home, maybe even basics for dogs and humans.

mickeydoodle
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:08 PM
You know, one other thing that I think would have great appeal, especially outside of Wellyworld, is stuff that is not made for size 2 riders. There is a great show attire vendor here, and she goes to lots of other places, but nothing fits us girls who are a little bigger than size 2. I would be more than happy to buy stuff that is fashionable and cute for riding if it fit. There are currently some really pretty colors and styles of short sleeve show shirts that you can add a beautiful tie to, but they run small, and the largest that the local vendor carries is too tight through the bust.

Often I am reduced to buying only socks for myself, socks always fit.

johnnysauntie
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:22 PM
I always look, and sometimes buy - either out of need or want. The most memorable shopping experience was in the heat of summer, and bugs were maddeningly thick. One vendor had a stack of jars of this belly balm stuff, which both healed owies and repelled bugs. We bought a few jars, applied it to legs, tummies, ears - and it worked. We cleaned the vendor out, and I ordered more. It was the perfect product - timely and unique.

Phyxius
Jun. 22, 2010, 11:47 AM
Well, you've 'sold' to me just now. :) Will you have a booth at the R4L? I'll be there with my big guy all weekend and I'd happily shop at your booth. I want something to draw me in and the fact that I searched "Ride For Life" at COTH and found your thread did that.

Now that I've said that I hope you have something fun, frivolous and not TOO horribly expensive! :D Somehow let me know which booth is yours.

carolprudm
Jun. 22, 2010, 11:55 AM
I loff loff loff vendors at shows! I don't always buy, but I always look. .

YUP. I was hoping to get grounds passes to the WEG and shop but the way the hotel packages were set up I decided to forget that idea. I can do a shopping tour of Ireland or Europe cheaper (We fly and can often stay on points)
If Lotty foals early I might go to the Dublin Horse Show

flshgordon
Jun. 22, 2010, 11:58 PM
ALWAYS look and almost always buy at least something.....

Show shirts, saddle pads, socks, fly spray, etc are 'usual' buys for me at shows. I'm not likely to buy expensive items like bits, reins, saddles unless it's a great deal/clearance/etc.

Except for browbands......I can barely walk by the browband booth without handing out my credit card. I have actually trained myself to walk around that one so I don't see all the shiny stuff!:winkgrin:

Trevelyan96
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
Shopping is part of the whole fun show experience for me. I just plain love looking at all the stuff, especially horse themed decor, tack and clothing. I usually set myself a shopping budget for all the big shows that come to the area and then go over it. :D

mp
Jun. 23, 2010, 04:20 PM
I love to shop vendors at shows. I buy if it's a good deal on something I need OR it's a unique/cool thing I haven't seen elsewhere.

Aggie4Bar
Jun. 23, 2010, 04:48 PM
I love looking through the vendors. But I hate buying. That goes anywhere and for anything simply because I'm budget minded. Hubby prefers the term "tightwad". :rolleyes: If I have a need and the price is right, I do buy stuff. Or if I'm shopping for someone else, I'm more inclined to buy. Mostly I just enjoy looking and talking with vendors that have unique or innovative stuff. Sometimes the idea behind a product is more interesting than the product.

Baroquecoco
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:48 PM
I always look and am often disappointed not to find something. I am always on the lookout for holiday gifts for my family that are different. Often I will find these things at horse shows. A couple years ago I went to Upperville to watch the Grand Prix jumpers and bought a bunch of cool stuff embroidered with dragonflies which my mother adores. I also bought sunglasses and boots for myself.

There are NO tack shops near me although I do get to Virginia several times a year to shop. At shows I will buy if it is at least as good of a price as I can find in a catalog or on ebay. But have had similar experiences to other folks where there the item I intended to buy was way more expensive at the show.

In the past year I have bought a fun stock tie, a pair of butter soft gloves, alpacha boot socks, boot cleaner/conditioner, reins, and a sheepskin saddle pad....no big ticket items. I really thought I wanted one of the newer Prestige saddles until I sat at one at a show. Ouch! So I guess I like everyday items that are different or unusual.