PDA

View Full Version : Is this bit legal? I'm stumped...

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
So, after reading the USEF rule book, I still can't figure out whether Dante's bit is legal. We'll probably only do a couple of USDF shows this year (we mainly do Maine-rated shows and horse trials), but I'd like to follow the rules!
I would think, as it's a double-jointed snaffle, that it would be legal, but I'm not sure whether the shape of the center piece qualifies as a port. I hope not, Dante LOVES this bit!!
Thanks in advance for your help! :)

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER00703

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:12 PM
I've shown using it without problem. I'd hate to say without a doubt it's legal, but none of the judges said it wasnt

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:18 PM
Great, thank you!!

CHT
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:31 PM
I would ask a steward prior to your class, or even prior to your show. And then let us know what they say.

Dressage Art
Mar. 6, 2010, 12:04 AM
It looks like it has a small port to it and no ports are allowed in snaffles. I also don't see such link combination in the USDF Rule Book drawings of allowed bit combinations. I think that the experienced bit checker, TD may call you out on that one.

hoopoe
Mar. 6, 2010, 08:25 AM
USEF

that is the rule book and they recognize the shows. They are the authority

This bit presents a puzzle since in the photo it appears to have an "edge" on the underside of the bean as well as a slight "port" contour". In my mind, that would call it into question.

Even though someone says they have shown in it, bit checks can miss things and judges are not the authority, only a TD can rule.

You can send the photo link to the USEF dressage department and ask if this new design is permitted. I have never seen one in person.

SOmetimes , on new items on the market, since the rules say nothing in the way of "no" it has to be yes. It can, later, become a NO,

That is why new rules evolve.

Schiffon
Mar. 6, 2010, 12:04 PM
USEF

that is the rule book and they recognize the shows. They are the authority

This bit presents a puzzle since in the photo it appears to have an "edge" on the underside of the bean as well as a slight "port" contour". In my mind, that would call it into question.

Even though someone says they have shown in it, bit checks can miss things and judges are not the authority, only a TD can rule.

You can send the photo link to the USEF dressage department and ask if this new design is permitted. I have never seen one in person.

SOmetimes , on new items on the market, since the rules say nothing in the way of "no" it has to be yes. It can, later, become a NO,

That is why new rules evolve.

Agree with this except that the bit rules are pretty specific that unless it is pictured, it is illegal. So a new item not mentioned in the book would be a NO, not a yes.

In the meantime, if your horse likes this you could try the legal Myler bit since it has a center cylinder piece that allows some flexibility but not complete collapse of the center link similar to what the Pessoa claims to be special. Just be careful to get the right one, 99% of Mylers are illegal, there is just one mouthpiece that is allowed.

buck22
Mar. 6, 2010, 04:33 PM
now here's a question, I wouldn't have though of it being illegal for the "port" but, I would assume that bit is illegal because it has two different metals in the mouth, ss and copper (the moon).... I thought the entire mouthpiece had to be of the same material?

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 6, 2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I did mean the USEF rule book. My bad!
Regarding the two different materials - from what I gathered, if the bit is made up of multiple pieces (ie in the case of a double-jointed snaffle) they can be seperate materials but each piece must be solid. So inlays are illegal, but center pieces of a different material are okay. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I was reading it late at night haha!)

pintopiaffe
Mar. 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
the metals rule is no longer.

You can have inlays, different links, and a copper bradoon and ss weymouth. (I wouldn't, but you CAN)

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
OK, I just sent an email to Jennifer Keeler at USEF. I'll let you all know the verdict when it comes in! :)
Thanks for all the help so far - I'll look into the Myler bit on eBay!

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:01 PM
OK, the verdict from the dressage committee is....legal! :)

tollertwins
Mar. 10, 2010, 05:13 PM
OOOKKKAAYYY!!!

I've wanted to try one of those 'cause poney hates the lozenges..but still has the 'fat tongue' thing going!

SillyHorse
Mar. 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
TDs (bless their collective hearts) sometimes are not aware of whether new bits are legal. I would advise you to carry with you whatever message you have from the dressage committee confirming that the bit is legal. Like chicken soup, it couldn't hurt.

Schiffon
Mar. 10, 2010, 06:56 PM
I suggest you carry a copy of the email that is clearly from the USEF dressage committee at all times in the coat of your show jacket, along with the picture of the bit you sent the committee.

Highly likely that a ring steward and TD will give you a hard time.

whbar158
Mar. 10, 2010, 07:42 PM
I am surprised they said it is legal since someone mentioned that inlays are illegal and it looks like the quarter moon part is not all copper but only the top of it.

tollertwins
Mar. 10, 2010, 08:53 PM
Or maybe you could POST the email and we could all carry a copy!

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
Here you go:

Hi Matilda, thank you for your question. After consultation with members of our USEF Dressage Committee, we are in agreement that this bit would be considered legal for use in USEF/USDF-Licensed Dressage Competition. The center piece is not considered a “port”. Thanks again & good luck!

Jennifer M. Keeler

National Director of Dressage

United States Equestrian Federation, Inc.

quietann
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:37 PM
I am surprised they said it is legal since someone mentioned that inlays are illegal and it looks like the quarter moon part is not all copper but only the top of it.

Someone mentioned that rule is now obsolete. The legal Myler mouthpieces (MB02 I believe, and maybe MB01) have copper inlays.

hoopoe
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
the poster was incorrect about inlay which was subsequently corrected.

as long as the transition of the two metals is smooth :winkgrin: it is all ok

tollertwins
Mar. 11, 2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks! :D

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 11, 2010, 12:34 PM
No problem! Hopefully this thread can help out subsequent riders who use the 'mystery bit' haha! ;)

seabreeze
Mar. 15, 2010, 03:13 PM
So, I'm curious...

How is the action of this bit (the quarter moon) different than the lozenge/bean. What different effect does it have on the mouth/tongue, etc.? Anyone? Thanks!

tollertwins
Mar. 15, 2010, 03:34 PM
Guessing that it doesn't have as much tongue pressure...