PDA

View Full Version : My head is NOT round!! Helmet help please!

BaroqueLady
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:58 PM
I am looking for a helmet that comes in an OVAL shape.
I know the IRH Elite Extreme (about $155) offers this fit but
are there any others lower in price?

Thanks for the help!

stryder
Mar. 5, 2010, 05:53 PM
My IRH Air Lite Dura Soft fits my oval head just fine. About $60, unless you find it on sale.

hopper20
Mar. 5, 2010, 07:01 PM
I just got one of the new Ovation Sync helmets, and I have a pretty oval head shape. Helmet is very comfy and inexpensive to boot. The old Troxel I just retired used to squeeze my head in front and back. Tipperarys fit me well too.

Schiffon
Mar. 5, 2010, 07:04 PM
I think I have a oval head (Troxels give me a horrible head ache with a big dent in my forehead) and like the way the Aegis fit. Dover has them for $40.

paintlady
Mar. 5, 2010, 07:17 PM
I believe that most of the sized (not S,M,L) IRH helmets come in a Long Oval. I have the IRH SSV in the long oval. Charles Owen also fits long oval heads - the JR8 runs about $135. Check VTO Saddlery - they are having a 20% off sale that ends today (coupon code 2DAY).

patch work farm
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have found that some of the Charles Owens (although not cheap) do fit my oval head, used to buy Lexington (don't know if they are still making helmets?). I have a vented Tipperary that I use in the summer. The hardest part was finding a top hat for an oval head! (I thought I was the only one that got "squished" head, headaches from Troxels)!

AKB
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:12 PM
Try the Charles Owens. They are not cheap, but any helmet that fits you well is worth quite a bit. Buying a helmet that doesn't fit is a false economy.

Velvet
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:22 PM
For schooling? I'll only wear a Tipperary. They're around $65 and fit oval shaped heads really well. Might not be the prettiest, but I go for comfort and solid protection when schooling.

asterix
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:24 PM
Tipperary here. Use it for schooling, including lessons with a BNT. For showing (I event, so I don't tend to do recog dressage shows), I use an IRH ATH, which was not that expensive. It's not as comfy as the Tipp but I don't wear it for very long, in the grand scheme of things.

SBrentnall
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:33 PM
I just bought a Charles Owen AYR8 and it fits my oval head better than anything I've ever had. I ordered it from the UK and it was about $190 including shipping to the US.

tollertwins
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:01 PM
Second the Aegis....only thing I found in a relatively large tack store that fit....

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:07 PM
I have a pretty extreme long oval head (especially if my hair is up under the helmet) and the only thing I've found to fit is the Tipperary. I have no idea what I'm going to show in (if I get to this year), but I'm comfy for my lessons!

Ibex
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:16 PM
I school in a Tipp, and just bought an AYR8 for showing...

eventingismylife
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:45 PM
I school in a Tipperary, and show in a Troxel Grand Prix- I really dont like Troxels they dont fit my head very well. I do love the Charles Owens, they fit very nicely.

kittykeno
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:56 PM
An oval head I have. Tipperary is what I ride in daily. For showing a Charles Owen GR8 fits me well.

inca
Mar. 6, 2010, 02:34 AM
I just bought a Charles Owen AYR8 and it fits my oval head better than anything I've ever had. I ordered it from the UK and it was about $190 including shipping to the US.

Where did you get an AYR8 for $190???? They are over $300 every place I have found them online.

lindasp62
Mar. 6, 2010, 02:15 PM
How about this one?
http://www.horseloverz.com/Buckingham-Velvet-Long-Oval-Riding-Helmet-pr-141323.html

I think this is the one I have...I am not sure, I wish I could read the tag... it is most certainly a IRH Long-Oval and fits my head well, and I have really thick curly hair to boot!

BaroqueLady
Mar. 7, 2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Lindasp62 your helmet is an IRH and more than $150. And lovely! I really need something cheaper...under $100 which may not be possible.

All the recommended models that I have looked at so far have
come in S/M/L and use a "dial a fit" system. I had a dial a fit
Troxel which always seemed to 'float' over my head instead of sitting
on it. It never felt like it really FIT me.

tollertwins
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:34 AM
The troxels' w/ the dial fit never fit over my temples. The aegis did for some reason.

You just gotta go try a bunch on...sort of like saddles.

Cielo Azure
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
The troxels' w/ the dial fit never fit over my temples. The aegis did for some reason.

You just gotta go try a bunch on...sort of like saddles.

I was just about to write that!

Go to a Dover Saddlery or some other really large tack shop and they will have them all out to try on.

hopper20
Mar. 7, 2010, 11:00 AM
I know what you mean about the Troxel floating above your head, but my new Ovation Sync does not do that though it is a dial fit. It really does fit a lot more like the Tipperary (and is a bit cheaper). The local tack shop carries them so I was able to try it out first. Comes in a plain black model so it's not quite as sporty looking at the Tipp.