PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Zone vs. Dalmar XC boots

sarah88
Mar. 5, 2010, 05:40 PM
So pretty self explanatory, but i have been looking into getting new xc boots. i am interested in maybe getting something that features some kind of 'ventilation system' to help prevent against over heating of tendons, but neither are exactly 'cheap' and would love to hear some input. Feel free to suggest other boots as well!
Thanks!

WakeRider
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:16 PM
I had posted on the forum before about the Tri-Zone boots... i was very excited about them and anxious to try them out. I used them in 1 short jump school, two different horses... no problem.

Ran two horses in them (yes they were fitted correctly, not too tight)... BOTH HORSES HAD PUFFY LEGS THE NEXT DAY. One horse it rubbed so badly that he had to be on stall rest for two weeks with NOTHING touching his legs.. no water, medicine, not even the gel for an ultrasound. The second horse had two raw ankles.

I am calling the company this weekend and complaining. For $140 this is absolutely ridiculous. I thought i was doing something good for my horses... and it most definitely backfired. Back to the drawing board for good xc boots...

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:18 PM
I really like my Dalmar's for my front boots. I have both racing type and eventing. The racing is a bit lighter and I like them a little bit more but both are nice. The hind boots didn't fit my horse as well....they are ok but not thrilled with them.

I got these as hind boots and like them quite a bit. NEW airflow.

http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Horse_Boots_and__Horse_Bandages/Hind_Boots/NEW_Cross_Country_Airoflow%2C_Hind.html

ACMEeventing
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:20 PM
I had posted on the forum before about the Tri-Zone boots... i was very excited about them and anxious to try them out. I used them in 1 short jump school, two different horses... no problem.

Ran two horses in them (yes they were fitted correctly, not too tight)... BOTH HORSES HAD PUFFY LEGS THE NEXT DAY. One horse it rubbed so badly that he had to be on stall rest for two weeks with NOTHING touching his legs.. no water, medicine, not even the gel for an ultrasound. The second horse had two raw ankles.

I am calling the company this weekend and complaining. For $140 this is absolutely ridiculous. I thought i was doing something good for my horses... and it most definitely backfired. Back to the drawing board for good xc boots...

Holy crap! So glad you posted this, I literally was getting ready to order them. Please keep us posted as to what the company says.

Any other good/bad experiences?

Clear Blue
Mar. 5, 2010, 07:53 PM
So far very happy with the dalmars for my verrrrrry sensitive skinned chestnut.

Bobthehorse
Mar. 5, 2010, 10:37 PM
I dont especially like the design of either, too stiff, and though I havent tried the Dalmars, they look to lack padding.

Premier Equine makes a ventilated boot, for a reasonable price (but you have to ship them from the UK). These look very interesting.
http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Cooled_Eventing_Boots.html

I also hear good things about the Ecogold boots, no literal vents but made with apparently breathable wicking fabrics.

Blugal
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:20 PM
I am reasonably happy with my front set of Dalmar racing boots. Used on a sensitive TB with white legs that have been prone to scratches (I had to use polos for a while as other boots did not work).

I am not a huge fan of the one-strap only design although I am used to it now and perhaps it is meant to keep more even pressure on the legs. Also they don't completely prevent sweaty legs; however there is much less sweat than other boots. They also don't prevent all dirt getting in (esp. if muddy) but do a decent job and I have been overall pretty happy.

I would like to see more padding over the inside of the fetlock joints as that is where brushing is most likely and the boot is quite light-weight there.

WishIWereRiding
Mar. 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
I've used the open front Tri-zone boots in front many times and never had a problem (also on a thin-skinned TB).

sarah88
Mar. 6, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the info! and esp. the heads up about the tri-zone boots, thats so strange!

WakeRider
Mar. 6, 2010, 07:40 PM
let me clarify... the TriZone's I used were the new xc/gallop ones.. i have not tried the open fronts.

sisu27
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:28 AM
Love my Dalmar boots (fronts).

SEPowell
Mar. 7, 2010, 03:59 PM

I had a very similar experience with Trizones. I have some NEW boots that are ok in cold weather. For the most part I've decided boots are a bad idea.

scubed
Mar. 8, 2010, 08:20 AM
Love, love, love my Dalmars and another option is the premier equestrian ventilated boot which are much less expensive and currently on sale: http://premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Cooled_Eventing_Boots.html

I did try the Tri-zones and did not like fit as well.

PnkPanthr
Mar. 8, 2010, 08:57 AM
Love, love, love my Dalmars and another option is the premier equestrian ventilated boot which are much less expensive and currently on sale: http://premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Cooled_Eventing_Boots.html

I did try the Tri-zones and did not like fit as well.

Not trying to hijack, but do you have the Premiers? If so, so you like them? I need new boots for my guy, and these are definately my number one choice for quality in my price range. :yes:

eventrider
Mar. 8, 2010, 10:51 AM
I picked up a set of ProLite boots at Burghley this year and they are my new favorite tack item of choice. They are lightweight, breathable, and soft to the horses legs, yet protect really well. I dont know where to order them from here in the US, but maybe you can do a search.

Neets
Mar. 8, 2010, 11:49 AM
See, I have heard a couple people who've had bad experiences with the Tri-Zones, but I absolutely love them! My horse, who's most likely an unregistered paint, is hopelessly allergic to neoprene. Try finding a pair of boots these days that don't have neoprene in them- it's quite a chore! We finally found the Tri-zones, which are neoprene free, and we've had nothing but good experiences with them. I used them for most of last season, which was several schoolings, events, etc. and nothing bad happened to his legs. The OP wanted boots to keep the legs cooler, and these certainly do for my guy! His legs are never really warm after XC and if the water was near the middle of the course, they're dry too! We used SMB's before that, and those were always sopping-wet messes after cross-country. My only complaint about the Tri-zones is that they're a bit difficult to get clean- there's lots of ridges and detailing that I sometimes have to scrub for quite a while before it's truly clean. Other than that, I love them. I am not sure why these boots work great for some horses and do awful things to others...

scubed
Mar. 8, 2010, 11:49 AM
Yes, have premier equine boots and really like them. Can't speak to durability as I have not had them long, whereas I have had my Dalmar fronts since 2003 and have done a ton of eventing and schooling in them

eventer_mi
Mar. 8, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have the Ecogold boots and they're much softer than the rigid shell kind with the vents, as the entire material is breathable. Apart from looking dusty quite quickly, I'm happy with them, and I also have a thin-skinned redhead. They're extremely light-weight as well, and talk about protection! I watched the YouTube videos with the hammer and axe test and I was sold.

frugalannie
Mar. 8, 2010, 06:55 PM
Scubed, which of the Premiers did you get? I'm thinking of trying them.

scubed
Mar. 9, 2010, 08:49 AM
I have the premier air-cooled eventing boots front and hind

TackGirl
Mar. 10, 2010, 10:47 AM
We use the TriZone XC Boots on 6 horses at our barn from BN to Intermediate and we love them. The new Allsports Boots are phenomenal as well...I love how cool and dry they keep the horses legs cross country.

I have heard a couple of cases like the ones Courtney mentioned above but it was always when the boots where much too large for the horses legs. The hind xc boots do run really quite large so we don't use them on any horse with small, short or thin hind legs. The front boots work well across the board. I think a lot of "issues" people have with boots come from not sizing them correctly...it's like having a 75'' horse in an 84'' blanket...if it's too big, it's not going to work!!!

I have heard they are coming out with a smaller xc hind boot which should be great. Also, the Allsports boots come in lots of sizes so they are great for the smaller boned horses...they do run a bit large as well but the variety of sizes makes up for that.

In general, we won't use any other boots besides Tri-zone at our farm now, with the extensive studies done by Dr. David Marlin on these boots, they are tested to the hilt and have been proven to provide greater protection and breathability than other boots on the market....I listen to the experts!!!

frugalannie
Mar. 10, 2010, 01:53 PM
I have the premier air-cooled eventing boots front and hind

Scubed, I'm sorry, but they seem to have two different models on sale, and I was wondering if you went with the less expensive or the more expensive (since I can't remember their model numbers).

Price is very nice (I haven't figured out shipping yet), but I imagine the logistics of returning them would be daunting, so the more info I can get, the better.

Thank you in advance!

event_ing
Mar. 11, 2010, 08:55 PM
I have the Ecogold boots and they're much softer than the rigid shell kind with the vents, as the entire material is breathable. Apart from looking dusty quite quickly, I'm happy with them, and I also have a thin-skinned redhead. They're extremely light-weight as well, and talk about protection! I watched the YouTube videos with the hammer and axe test and I was sold.

I have the Ecogold boots as well. I agree that they are really lightweight and I was impressed with how well they stayed in place, how they were still light after running xc ( pretty much just a bit damp...didn't hold any water) and how cool my horses legs were when I took them off. At this point I hadn't seen their Youtube video with the axe test and now after seeing that I'm definitely glad to have them!

Outyougo
Mar. 11, 2010, 09:53 PM
I read this thread and ordered the Premier boots on Monday Evening The boots arrived today! and I in Oregon! Fit well I got the Medium which fit My daughter's horse nicely and should protect the scar from his splint-ectomy! a bit snug for my more Moose-esque Guy

Both horses are t'breds grey has 8' bone and Moose 9+ but I like to look for keeping legs cool, protecting from incidental bums and look like they will do well in wet!

Shipping cost nearly as much as the boots but the boots got here in 3 days!

sarah88
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:54 PM
Outyougo-Keep us posted as to how they hold up!!

now after all the responses i think i have a tougher decision!! (which is a good thing i suppouse bc theyre are so many more quality boots out there than i realized)

With all the discussion on fit i thought i might ask of the ones listed in this thread (i think tri-zone, dalmar, premier, ecogold(which im leaning towards) and NEW) I have a 15.2 h QH and he has rather short(but stout) cannion bones, esp in the front. Any more reccomendations as to which would fit best, there seem to be alot of positive about just about all the boots and i am so indecisive, and dont want to spend the money to ship something so far(esp. with premiers) if it wont fit(though i know thats the only way to know for sure!