PDA

View Full Version : Red Hills XC spectating tips?

Madison
Mar. 5, 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm heading out to cross-country day at Red Hills tomorrow -- anyone have suggestions as to what parts of the course will offer the best vantage points? I've learned from my Rolex visits that it is more fun for everyone if you find a spot where you can see multiple jumps, or catch a horse coming one way, then turn around and catch another one going the other way, etc . . . but I haven't been to Red Hills before so I don't have any familiarity with the course or the layout. Thanks!

GotSpots
Mar. 5, 2010, 02:47 PM
You'll have a blast - they do a great job there. They have shuttles that will take you up and onto the course. I would get off at the water - if the course is the way it often is, there's a nice spot there where you can wander back and forth and see a couple of great things. If they still have the giant's picnic table, walk down the hill to watch the Advanced/CIC*** ride it - it's ginormous and very cool to watch. honestly, hard to go wrong, and they have so many super friendly volunteers around it's really easy to figure out where to go.

Madison
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:07 PM
Great, thanks! I'm a Tallahassee native and a number of family friends have been very involved in putting it on, so it is great to see it doing well. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Bensmom
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:26 PM
Madison!

Come find me! I'll be one of the warm up stewards at the second warm up on the way to xc in the afternoon.

I'll be out spectating in the morning. will probably have on a RHHT polarfleece vest and black shirt and either my OCET hat or an auburn one. Subject to change with the temp of course, to a RHHT polo shirt, of which I will be one of hundreds, probably! :lol:

Glad you are coming to watch. Gotspots is right -- start at the water and move around from there. It is difficult to see a lot of the course from any one vantage point, but that is the best place to start out.

Libby

Madison
Mar. 8, 2010, 12:11 PM
bensmom, sorry we didn't make it to see you! My dad came with us so we weren't quite as flexible with the plan :winkgrin: but he was a good sport and enjoyed it! Beautiful day. More mishaps than I thought we'd see from looking at the course, but I was very glad most appeared very minor. It was a really nice event!

And thanks to both of you for the tips - we camped out for a bit by the water where you could see them come through there and the splash, then walk a few steps up the hill to catch the corners, the tummy tickler, and the complex around that turn, so it was great. And then we wandered down toward 5, 6, and 7 for a bit.

Unfortunately were standing there when the cute paint horse, Life is Good, injured his left hind jumping up the bank at maybe jump 13 -- did anyone by any chance hear what the injury turned out to be? He looked like a sweet boy so we were hoping it doesn't turn out to be serious!

All in all, it was a great day and we were glad we made it down to FL for it this year.