PDA

View Full Version : dang....came off 17 hand WB today...

Mrsmph
Mar. 5, 2010, 02:13 PM
That's gonna leave a mark... Seriously, it wasn't too bad a fall, I didn't really get hurt. BUT - am I glad I wear a helmet every horse, every ride, every time. This reminds me why. I didn't even hit my head at all on this one, it was a "get thrown into the fence or bail" thing, I bailed. Still, into my 40's, I really don't bounce so well anymore. I am going to be sore tomorrow!
:(

paintlady
Mar. 5, 2010, 02:21 PM
OUCH! I came off a 16.3+ hh horse at a show once. He was having a hissy fit at this one spot in the arena. I stayed on the first couple of passes, but he made sure I came off on the third pass. I didn't hit my head - landed on my butt. My entire butt cheek was black and blue - biggest bruise I've ever seen - sure made sitting at work interesting. This was right before I started shopping for my first horse. There is a reason I wound up getting a barely 15.2 hh horse.

islgrl
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:03 PM
That IS going to leave a mark. Glad you were wearing your helmet. I have to say that I am also in my 40's and recently sold my 16.2+hh horse and ended up buying a 15.3hh replacement. I must say, I have been pleasantly surprised at the fact I don't feel big on him (I'm 5'5" so not surprising) AND, I can now mount from the ground if I have to. The last horse I was doomed, I couldn't reach my stirrups where they were, and I couldn't swing my leg over high enough if I dropped them...

Anyhoo - I digress... I'm glad you weren't hurt!:D

buck22
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:16 PM
lol, I came off a 17h horse a few months ago, one of those embarrassing slow motion falls too, haha, did a slo-mo somersault over her shoulder and went kersplat! flat on my back. I actually had time to think 'hey, this really *is* a long way down!'. Was wearing a helmet and glad. I'm on the downward slope to 40 myself.

WBLover
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
Ouch--I hope it's not going to hurt too bad, but I know what you're going through! I'm 41 and don't bounce that well either. My horse had a bad spook a few weeks ago, he went one direction, and I went off the other side of him. TRIED to hang on and pull myself back up, but I'm also not as limber as I used to be! Had to let myself fall. I've had a kink in my back ever since!! UGGH!

I TRIED to buy a smaller horse, bought a 15.2-1/2H Friesian X at 2.5yo, and HOPED he would stay under 16H, being the eternal optimist I am. NOPE, he's all of 16.2H now at coming 5yo.

Jingles that you recover quickly!

Mrsmph
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:40 PM
Buck22, that's "sorta" how it was. I somehow had time to THINK about what was happening as it happened. All I could think of was "oh I do NOT want to hit that fence! I'm comin' off HERE." A few years ago, I came off a TB I was riding and my head hit the fencepost. Cracked my helmet wide open like an egg. Totally rang my bell for a while, but no concussion. I really did not to revisit that scenario. I'm convinced that if it were not for the helmet, I'd be dead as a doornail. Today I'm a little sore, but really no worse for the wear. And, FWIW, I never let go of the reins, got right back on, (a little shakily) and walked, trotted, and cantered right past the scary place. :D Monty seemed totally surprised that he still had to work! :yes:

SmartAlex
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:53 PM
I thought it would be fun to ride my 16.3hh bareback last week. I almost came off. He shied at the scary door, and I had that "let go or fight gravity" moment and chose to fight gravity. Thank Heaven he didn't buck while I was hanging off his shoulder watching the ground fly by. When did bareback get so dang hard? Oh I remember... 20 years and 20 pounds. That'll do it every time.

Mrsmph
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:05 PM
I thought it would be fun to ride my 16.3hh bareback last week. I almost came off. He shied at the scary door, and I had that "let go or fight gravity" moment and chose to fight gravity. Thank Heaven he didn't buck while I was hanging off his shoulder watching the ground fly by. When did bareback get so dang hard? Oh I remember... 20 years and 20 pounds. That'll do it every time.

What a great account and great pics of the event! Good job staying on!
:yes:

Bravestrom
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:09 PM
Well I am glad you are mostly okay - just a little sore and glad you had your helmet on.

I don't think 4 inches makes much a difference in falling - you fall - you fall - it's just in your head - it is all in how you fall and if you are lucky enough to not get seriously hurt.

Mrsmph
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:13 PM
Well I am glad you are mostly okay - just a little sore and glad you had your helmet on.

I don't think 4 inches makes much a difference in falling - you fall - you fall - it's just in your head - it is all in how you fall and if you are lucky enough to not get seriously hurt.

Good thing I have experience falling!! :winkgrin:

twofatponies
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
My friends with really tall horses keep saying "it's only 4, 6 or 8 more inches" - it hardly makes a difference in a fall. Somehow I'm not convinced that's not significant!!!

quietann
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:41 PM
The big ones, to me, seem to have a lot more thrust and power. If they toss you, you're going to have a whole lot of momentum as you're flying through the air! I am in my mid-40s and when I returned to riding, I very quickly learned that I do not bounce anymore. I cracked my pelvis in one fall, and I am sure it would have been just a big bruise if it had happened when I was 15. (That was off a 13.1 hand pony, somewhat contradicting my point about the big ones!)

To OP: I hope you heal quickly!

rugbygirl
Mar. 5, 2010, 05:35 PM
Still nursing the 8" x 12" rectangular bruise from falling off the 17hh draft mare. Onto a jump. With boxes. It matches the horribly-swelled hematoma from last year (never went all the way down) on the opposite hip/thigh.

It's not only the Arab types that teleport sideways...

Also fell off the 16.2hh Thoroughbred in a freak stirrup-falling-off-saddle incident. Concussion. I am taking a break...

I hope you feel better OP, 17 hands is WAY further than 15, I agree! :lol: "only" 8 inches! :D

nomoregrays
Mar. 5, 2010, 05:43 PM
As the owner/rider of a 17hh horse, I can sympathize with you. I nearly came off yesterday. We were trotting down the long side of the arena when he suddenly spun on me. We ended up on the quarter line and I was really surprised that I wasn't on the ground looking up at him.

Chris

ACMEeventing
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:52 PM
I hate being a lawn dart. Hope you feel better soon!

coymackerel
Mar. 5, 2010, 08:02 PM
WBlover - had about the same thing happen to me last month. Serious ouch. Nothing broken but I had a bad kink in my back til I went to the chiropractor - had a rotated pelvis which he rotated back and I am MUCH better - give it a try.

Zu Zu
Mar. 5, 2010, 08:52 PM
Jingles for you to feel better soon ~

JLR1
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:13 PM
You guys are brave to ride tall horses! I prefer a low-rider model! Sadly, I can tell you it hurts coming off the small ones too! Hope you are feeling better soon!

LittleblackMorgan
Mar. 6, 2010, 08:58 AM
Careful when hanging on the reins when you duff it! I fell off a 14h pony a few weeks ago, reins in hand. Well, she decided that rearing was fun. Up she went, reins in my right hand while I was on all 4s. I have a sprained shoulder now, go to a sports medicine chiro EVERYDAY, doing the advil/ice thing. I cant ride for another week or more.

2Below
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:14 AM
...glad you weren't seriously hurt. This is why, save for my 16.3 hand TB, who's a lifer-no more big horses for me! I had a 15.2 hander try to break my neck yesterday and as he was flying, bucking the length of the arena, I was screaming "NO!!!NO!!NO!!",but what I very clearly thought was,"there's no way I'm coming off THIS thing!" Very thankfully he stopped at the corner, DIDN'T break the mirror and I stayed upright in the saddle. Phew! Luckily he's not terribly athletic, that helps. I just didn't want to come off an get hurt by that twerp!

Mrsmph
Mar. 6, 2010, 01:10 PM
I hate being a lawn dart. Hope you feel better soon!

"lawn dart" hahahahah! lmao
So today (the morning after) I am feeling surprising well! Just a tad creaky and sore. Time to go ride! :D

Bravestrom
Mar. 6, 2010, 01:43 PM
Glad you are feeling better - be careful out there

Mrsmph
Mar. 6, 2010, 01:51 PM

kookicat
Mar. 6, 2010, 03:00 PM
I like the bigger ones- there's more to hang on to on the way down! ;)

OP- glad that you're not hurt. :)

Tiger Horse
Mar. 8, 2010, 04:06 PM
Must be the weather!! My new guy and I had some "spook" issues yesterday. Traded in my 14.3 gaited mare for a 16.1 TB . . . someone was using the wash stall outside yesterday and the spray was hitting the side wall of the indoor . . . wow! can we say implusion. Managed to stay on all five yahoo times, not bad for an old lady (soon to be 52 . . .).

Funny thing is, it really didn't even phase me - boy, what a surprise that was - not sure where all this confidence came from! But, we continued working until we were able to canter successfully past the "boogey man" spot several times.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Mar. 8, 2010, 04:51 PM
The little ones are worse to come off, less time to organize your limbs before hitting the ground... :lol::lol::lol:

Or sometimes the little ones throw you so high that it's almost the same as coming off an 20H horse :yes:

And lastly the little ones tend to be more narrow so there is less horse to keep your leg around when they disappear to the side. Oh and they also have shorter necks so there is little horse infront of you to keep you in the saddle...

Basically there is no fun horse to come off in...