PDA

View Full Version : Wellington, year round?

spirithorse22
Mar. 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
I've done a lot of thread searches but am not really finding a whole lot about the horse community there in Wellington, Lox., etc. so thought I'd ask about the general area and community...if anyone can share their experiences in the area, etc. I'd appreciate it!

I've found plenty of threads about the show season and costs, etc. associated w/ being there through the winter but not much about year round horsey people. And living there.

I can't ask about non-horsey stuff here on COTH, but I have an email address I'd be happy to send you if you've got any restaurant, bar, parks, beaches, etc. local places, to share w/ me. :yes:

I'll also check the "city guide" in case there's something about that area. :)

How many people live in Wellington-or around it-year round? I know there is a huge social scene during the winter circuit...but come the other months of the year, it's got to get pretty quiet...or am I wrong?

Are there many h/j'er people who have barns there year round or is it mainly the winter crowd?

Just curious...how many COTHers are in the South Fl area?

I'll be there visiting this Monday and will try to do a little exploring on my own, but there are so many people on COTH I figured I'd get some good feedback with a general thread, too.

FillyMe
Mar. 5, 2010, 08:55 PM
Spirit, I actually live in Boca Raton which is about 25-30 minutes south of Wellington. Plenty of people live there year round, both dressage and h/j people, plus non-horsey people. Yes, the big social events are saved for the "season" but there are still shows and clinics during the year. You usually get a better board rate if you stay year round. I actually board in west Delray Beach at a really nicce facility (also just south of Wellington) and the board is a lot less for the amenities that we have i.e. covered/mirrored arena and nice grassy turnout. It is definitely quieter on off season but probably like most other cities around the country. Loxahatchee is very rural, if you like that, I would look there. If you have kids, look into school districts. The best part for a dedicated rider is that you have access to so many great trainers that you would not have anywhere else. Hope this helps. You can email me if you have any specific questions. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Robin

barnmonkey
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.wellington-wef.com/

ESG
Mar. 6, 2010, 07:29 PM
. Loxahatchee is very rural, if you like that, I would look there.

Since when? :eek:

OP, if you're looking to start a horse business in Wellie-world, PM me first.

lorilu
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
ESG, Lox might seem rural to someone who lives in Boca!

(Now in Ocala, WE have rural areas!! But we are about 4 hours from Welly....

Which is jsut fine with me.)

L

ESG
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:51 PM
Loxahatchee isn't rural any more - hasn't been for quite some time. And you could be from New York city and still be able to spot that. To get "rural", anywhere west of Wellington, you have to go to Belle Glade.

Blume Farm
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:52 PM
I lived in Loxahatchee for about 2 years (left about 3 years ago, thankfully just before the complete tanking of the real estate market). Lox is definitely NOT rural...1.5-5 acres is the norm of horse keeping there. I had almost 2 acres which was the norm. Here are my impressions of the area:
1) It is expensive...all year long. Hay, grain, training and board are much more in South Fl. I paid $600/ month for a dry stall all year long, albeit at a nice facility.
2) There are things to do all year long, although traffic picks up during the season. There are more dressage folks around all year than H/J folks. Although that may be my impression due to riding dressage so my focus.
3) You better be a fairly big name to try to make it there as a trainer. I had a fantastic woman start my young horse while I was there, she was associated with some BNTs, but still had a very difficult time starting her business. People go there that have $$ and hence want to be associated with the BNT and can pay for it.
4) It is a terrible place to keep horses all year long. The bugs drive them crazy, sand colic is a problem, the heat can be oppressive in the summer with a concern of horses developing anhydrosis. You will have to ride late at night during summer months as the mornings are quite humid and mid-day just plain hot.
5) IMHO (again this is just MY opinion) the majority of people were just plain arrogant. Where else do you go to a horse show and the people are walking around the grounds in Ferragamo heels, LV purses, silk scarves, and enough plastic surgery that facial expressions are non existent? I was "lucky" enough to have some friends in a higher status than my own and attended some of those coveted "gala" events and always left well before the end. It was mostly very over-indulged teenagers, spoiled 20-somethings, and botoxed older women trying to compete with those spoiled 20-somethings. Good people watching though.
6) During the season be prepared to wait on line to eat even at restaurants like TGI Fridays.
7) Farriers: It cost me $250 for basic shoes on my mare while I lived there. And a lot of the farriers leave at the end of season.
8) although the landscaped big money farms look beautiful the rest of the loxahatchee looks kinda haggard. Not the prettiest of places when talking about natural views.

Now on the plus side...if you want to just watch great horse shows non-stop then Nov-March is great! If you want to do some shopping at the vendors that is the place to be. If you have the $$ and want to ride with some great trainers they are there all winter long. It is nice to live in a place that you can buy fly spray at your local Publix grocery store.

As I still have family in the area I now get the best of both worlds...don't have to live there but can visit whenever I want!!

lorilu
Mar. 8, 2010, 09:09 AM
. Lox is definitely NOT rural...1.5-5 acres is the norm of horse keeping there. I had almost 2 acres which was the norm.

Well, not to belabor the point, to someone living in BOCA, where there are lots of condos, townhouses, and homes on 1/4 A lots and the "builder's acre", having 2 acres IS rural, especially if you can keep a horse or two on it. Is it Iowa? No. But it's not Boca, either.

Although is certainly is less rural than in the 80's, when I lived in Stuart and visited Lox on ocassion.

"Rural" is one of those comparison words - compared to what?

And, I agree with everything else bluehof said.

L

spirithorse22
Mar. 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for posts, everyone. Anyone else have anything they'd like to add?

As for the few who invited PMs, I will certainly do so. :) Thanks.

I am not trying to make it as a trainer, just fyi.