PDA

View Full Version : Eventing ability critique? (friend riding)

Mali
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:24 PM
Here's a few videos of an OTTB that we got FRESH off the track last Feb -we actually watched him win his last race, and he was in our barn 3 days later! These were some videos of him at his first cross country lesson. We love him and are having a blast, but would like to hear some unbiased opinions of him.

http://pets.webshots.com/album/575438858pRAvBR

Thanks!

CiegoStar
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:09 PM
I love him! Cute jump, willing and eager. Looks very athletic with a big stride. I forsee some work on your trot - he's still got that tracky choppy step. But he's clearly a natural athlete. While you're still figuring each other out, don't be afraid to grab mane. :cool:

ACMEeventing
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:32 PM
Love him!

And love grabbing mane, too!

lstevenson
Mar. 5, 2010, 01:06 AM
He's lovely. Very athletic, naturaly balanced, and catlike. He's definitely going to be upper level quality. What's his breeding?

Mali
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:24 AM
Here's his pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/golden+altar

feel free to comment on his pedigree as well...

gold2012
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:21 AM
He's nice Cindy, but grab mane. BTW, I have his twin out in the pasture...grin. They look amazing a lot alike. We are taking him first x/c school sunday. He hasn't quite turned 4 year. May birthday, but we love him too, and they move similiary.....

mcorbett
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:26 AM
great jump! he seems really game, too! yeah, his trot will get better over time (it does look a bit short and punchy). Nice choice!

he's got some great lines in his pedigree too. LOVE the In Reality (both my mares have it), Gone West is a good one if you are going to have Mr. P and Pleasant Colony is fabulous.

Jleegriffith
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:42 AM
Mali- It was strange because I was watching his video and he reminded me of one of the CANTER horses I had started named General Forrest. Looked at your boy's pedigree and he was owned by Nancy as well. Small world!

Anyway..I love him! He seems bold, has a good jump and will get better with time in terms of his trot. He seems to have natural balance and finds a nice spot on his own.

Riding these bold greenies is tough as you never know what they will do. Grab straps are you friend:lol: Keep us updated on his progress. I really think he is cool.

Mali
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:55 AM
Mali- It was strange because I was watching his video and he reminded me of one of the CANTER horses I had started named General Forrest. Looked at your boy's pedigree and he was owned by Nancy as well. Small world!

Anyway..I love him! He seems bold, has a good jump and will get better with time in terms of his trot. He seems to have natural balance and finds a nice spot on his own.

Riding these bold greenies is tough as you never know what they will do. Grab straps are you friend:lol: Keep us updated on his progress. I really think he is cool.

Disclaimer - I'm NOT the one riding him, he is owned by a friend and she's the one riding (but I take full credit for finding him for her and urging the purchase).
We purchased him without evening laying a hand on him! We watched him in the paddock area at CT, and that was the closest we got to him. All we had was a detailed description of him and his potential from Nancy, and a few photos. We had 3 to choose from, and he really jumped out at me from the photos. I ended up with another horse of Nancy's, and we are extremely delighted with both of our boys. Mine was shipped to me without me even seeing so much as a photo of him, just a description of his personality. Talk about blind faith! It's nice to know that there are still good, honest people in the world! Mine is headed to the hunter arena, but we thought this big moving boy might be more suited to eventing or show jumping. He is very bold and laid back, and always "tries" for my friend. We would be very happy to have 10 of him in our barn :)

rileyt
Mar. 5, 2010, 12:38 PM
If I'm being honest...

I see a lot to like. He seems game and athletic.

But I really hate the way he's currently going. He looks sore in his back or hind end somewhere... I'm not sure where. I have never seen a horse go that up and down. And, maybe its just the video, but it seems like you're working on tight distances, and I'm not really sure that's what he needs right now.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. But I think he could really benefit from a lot of forward/stretching dressage work. Who knows... I think with 6 months of that, he might be a truly lovely horse.

Mali
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:15 PM
If I'm being honest...

I see a lot to like. He seems game and athletic.

But I really hate the way he's currently going. He looks sore in his back or hind end somewhere... I'm not sure where. I have never seen a horse go that up and down. And, maybe its just the video, but it seems like you're working on tight distances, and I'm not really sure that's what he needs right now.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. But I think he could really benefit from a lot of forward/stretching dressage work. Who knows... I think with 6 months of that, he might be a truly lovely horse.

Yep, at the time (October) the videos were taken, all of what you say is true. He has had massages, a new well-fitting saddle, and lots of work on the flat over the winter. He was being ridden in a clinic at the time, and they were just following the instructor's direction...nowhere near that intense workload at home. Although he has a strong canter, he's still behind the leg alot, and it's taking the longest amount of time to get the whole "move forward off my leg now". He's also discovering how to move more freely through his shoulders, and although he isn't able to hold that for long, he's at least getting several strides of it in his normal works. So, she's on the right track...

rileyt
Mar. 8, 2010, 08:07 AM
Well good. I'm glad to hear that. Seems like a very nice horse.

FairWeather
Mar. 8, 2010, 11:10 AM
Nancy has a great eye for a horse--we've gotten many from her (and this guy probably would have come too, but we stopped taking horses last year for a spell).
I love him, and no doubt he had a great start with Nancy!

(Jess, Tavern was one of hers too)

LarissaL
Mar. 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
Super cute horse. I agree with everyone else that he seems really bold and game and shows lots of potential. Glad to hear he's working differently now too, I was a little suprised to see the rider in spurs. She actually seemed a little timid in applying leg to my eye. Been there myself - I had one that went pretty similarly and was difficult to get out of that balled up frame. I never really succeeded in resolving that in the 4ish months I worked with him, but his current owner has done a superb job and is bringing out oodles of talent in him. I bet this guy's going to be a stunner and would love to see some pictures of his progress!

merrygoround
Mar. 8, 2010, 03:28 PM
Looks like a very nice horse, quite brave, very sensible, and very, very forgiving.