PDA

View Full Version : Dressage-y Areas In VA

knightrider
Mar. 4, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hoping you all can help me...I have a client who wants to purchase a small farm in an area that is close to some quality dressage trainers...They would love to stay in Loudoun but the commute is too far and are considering other counties such as Clarke, Fauquier (far out in Fauquier), Warren, Frederick and shenandoah...they hope to retire within 2-4 years so are not too concerned with commuting to Reston...I think they would even consider parts of MD close to VA...but...they are limited with funds.

What areas do you suggest? I know lovettsville is big for dressage, but I'm not sure I can find them something in their price range (lower end)...they need about 5 or more acres...wife is chicken about driving over the mountain with her truck and trailer, but I think they will have to drive...wife also has a foxhunter so wouldn't mind being close to the hunts...I'm just not sure what horse life is like when you get further west like the shenandoah, winchester area...

If you could weigh in, I'd appreciate it!

Melyni
Mar. 4, 2010, 08:50 PM
If they are not too far.
Lots of dressage trainers in that area.
Charlottesville is wall to wall dressage trainers.

Culpeper has quite a few as well.
Look down the 29 corridor.
MW

knightrider
Mar. 4, 2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks...I think they are trying to stay away from 29 past Warrenton because of the traffic on 29 to get to route 66...

I saw a really cute property in Reva that is lovely and it was a no go...

Foxhound
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:55 PM
I would vote for the Winchester/Charles Town areas. Going over the mountain with a trailer really isn't a big deal, except for in the worst weather. There are even some trainers on the west side of the mountain. A good friend of mine (who is also a dressage pro) just built a farm near Charles Town.

Carol Ames
Mar. 5, 2010, 12:19 AM
Look on Pucellville, RoundHill; Waterford; Ashburn

Carol Ames
Mar. 5, 2010, 12:24 AM
I know several breeders out that way, though no BNTs , yet

knightrider
Mar. 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks! Foxhound..who is your trainer? do they have a website?

Foxhound
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:57 PM
I work with Alison Head in Hamilton, VA at her Looking Glass Farm. One of Alison's long-time clients is Carolyn (Dilly) Jackson, who is also a USDF Bronze & Silver medalist. She keeps her competition horses with Alison, but just completed a new farm near Charles Town, WVA. I know she hasn't been teaching as much in the last year or so, while she built her place, but I think she will start doing more in the spring. Send me a PM if you would like contact information. It's only about 30 minutes from Charles Town to Western Loudoun.

Carol Ames
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:26 PM
!it's not in Virginia (gasp:lol:) but, still :yes: worth looking into:yes:, upper Montgomery county. and Frederick, Thurmont areas of Maryland:cool:

Carol Ames
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:28 PM
Look in Berryille

ayrabz
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
Nothing to add, but had to laugh at the fact she's 'chicken' to drive a trailer over the mountains, but FOXHUNTS. HAHAHAHA...not a usual combination.

Eventer55
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:38 AM
If they're limited with funds they may not like to Berryville area, or Leesburg. What does "limited" means?

I would explore the Orange area, although I'm not a dressage only rider, I think there are some great trainers from Orange to C'ville and Warrenton.

For a realtor I would go to Susie Ashcom in Middleburg, she knows horse property and we used her for our Orange farm.

Carol Ames
Mar. 7, 2010, 08:27 AM
Coleen Hersson inCulpeper area is on the cdcta board and now a realtor

YankeeLawyer
Mar. 7, 2010, 08:41 AM
Hoping you all can help me...I have a client who wants to purchase a small farm in an area that is close to some quality dressage trainers...They would love to stay in Loudoun but the commute is too far and are considering other counties such as Clarke, Fauquier (far out in Fauquier), Warren, Frederick and shenandoah...they hope to retire within 2-4 years so are not too concerned with commuting to Reston...I think they would even consider parts of MD close to VA...but...they are limited with funds.

What areas do you suggest? I know lovettsville is big for dressage, but I'm not sure I can find them something in their price range (lower end)...they need about 5 or more acres...wife is chicken about driving over the mountain with her truck and trailer, but I think they will have to drive...wife also has a foxhunter so wouldn't mind being close to the hunts...I'm just not sure what horse life is like when you get further west like the shenandoah, winchester area...

If you could weigh in, I'd appreciate it!

I am in Lovettsville, as you know. There have been some *really* good deals on bank-owned properties / short sales recently. If you pm me with more details I might be able to make suggestions.

Clarke County tends to be less expensive and the taxes lower than Loudoun - the Bluemont area is gorgeous and Riverside Farm has good dressage instruction and regular clinics with top people (eg Michael Barisone). Where are they commuting to? Personally I would try to stay in commuting range to DC because those properties tend to have better resale value than ones farther out. Also, if they have or want children, the quality of schools may be a consideration (and most certainly is a factor that affects property value).

I would not buy property in the boondocks to be near just one trainer - what if that trainer moves or even simply decides to show in Florida for the winter?

In addition, I would consider the availability of good vets and farriers, and proximity to a clinic in the event of an emergency. We ended up in Lovettsville in part because we do have a number of great vets and farriers nearby, and Morven is only 10 minutes from my farm.

patch work farm
Mar. 7, 2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe I read the post incorrectly but it seemed to say that Loudoun was too far of a commute to Reston?? If that is the case then Clarke and Fauquier Counties would be out of the question as well as Winchester, Shenandoah, etc. I live in Purcellville and the commute to Reston (on a good day) is about 40 minutes (on a bad day it can be 2 hours or more). I now commute to Winchester and LOVE the commute-totally against traffic-I look at the other side of Route 7 and remember how much I hated it. Unless they are going against traffic there is no way to gauge how any day of commuting will go-one accident anywhere along the route and you're stuck! YL is correct, there are some good buys in Loudoun right now, they should consider that-if they try to find 5 acres in FFX County they will pay dearly (but the commute will be better).

knightrider
Mar. 7, 2010, 06:58 PM
I am sorry all...I wrote Loudoun was too far, but meant to say too expensive. I've been running on empty and am fighting being sick at the same time so am not as "with it" as I should be.

We did go see several homes in Winchester, WArren and Shenandoah counties...they are trying to prepare for a lower income in coming years, however, can afford more now...they are just trying to be ultra conservative.

We had spoken about their tastes and wants and did not think going further west would work although price wise was what they desire.

I am actually a realtor specializing in Loudoun and Fauquier, and have done intensive market reports in Loudoun which I've written about in a couple blogs...if anyone wants a link to the 2009 blog post/market report for all of Loudoun with 3+ acres, pm me and I'll send you the link.

These folks however, want the type of communities and level of expertise with horses that you find in loudoun, just not in loudoun prices. After looking, they are re-evaluating and will probably adjust their price range which make things doable in the Lovettsville area especially...sorry, not trying to be vague, but can't disclose too much...

The lady would like to be within a comfortable driving distance to shows, clinics, etc...but they have basically wiped out Nokesville, Culpeper and that 29 corridor...

I think its just a case of them figuring out what will and won't work for both of them, which is a normal home buying process. I wanted to try to educate myself on the outlying areas to see if there would be anything further out that would work...we may still look into Berryville or perhaps the Boyce/Millwood or White Post area...but anything in Loudoun or Fauquier would require more money...so we will see what they end up with.

YL - I will pm in a sec...I think we will be on the same page with the lovettsville area, but would love to see if you know anything different...I've been watching a few home which are going into foreclosure that I know will be on the market soon...

Thanks all...and sorry for miscommunication...I think I've got bronchitis or something but between clients and training classes, i've been unable to make it to the doc...so that is top priority tomorrow so I can back up to speed and not feel so wiped out.