PDA

View Full Version : Anky Dressage saddles--functional difference?

RegentLion
Mar. 4, 2010, 05:57 PM
I'm needing to buy my first ever dressage saddle. :eek:

DH wants me to try the Anky Pessoa's first, so that is what I'm planning to do. Now, I don't know which one to *try* first.

I know basically next to nothing about saddles. I live in BFE. The plan is order one, try it, have my horse's chiropractor check it out, and if it fits him and me then great. If not, learn and move on.

So. Functionally.... for the 5' tall short legged rider 30' inseem on a good day.... who doesn't really like a wide twist....

Are we looking at trying the Euro, Salinero, or Remy Carriat?

I'd also like some info on how to measure *myself* for a saddle.

It would be super cool to work with a trainer on this issue, but my trainer is 3 hours away and not currently teaching, so this is going to be a huge learning experience for me to tackle on my own. Daunting. I've been putting it off. But can't any longer.... :(

I know a lot of people that love their Pessoas and I believe Anky saddles are made by the same people, if I recall correctly.

FWIW, I'm an event rider and don't need anything that is going to be acceptable for huge amazing dressageness, just something that will fit us both and be comfortable enough that I don't dread riding in it. :cool:

Thanks.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 5, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have never ridden in one, but...

They are always for sale cheap second hand, which might tell you something.

You might do better to check out some of the used dressage saddle threads on here. Custom Saddlery will come to you, and they will fit the saddle to you and your horse. There are used saddle retailers who will ship to you for trial.

jn4jenny
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:25 PM
The plan is order one, try it, have my horse's chiropractor check it out, and if it fits him and me then great. If not, learn and move on.

Kudos for you for embarking on an exciting education adventure and keeping an open mind!

But unless you have approximately $500 set aside for shipping saddles back and forth, this is a bad, bad, bad, REALLY bad plan. It's the equivalent of walking into a shoe store at random, choosing any shoe that looks good, and then trying to put it on the foot of someone whose foot you've only been able to look at outside the store. Or buying jeans for a female friend.

I can't tell you how many people I know who tried 10, 20, even 50 saddles before they found "the one". Even people who had big bucks to spend. Every time you ship a saddle out to you and have to ship it back, that is $50-$100 down the toilet. Ask yourself how many times you want to pull that slot machine.

The best course of action is to learn to take a wither tracing and take appropriate photos of your back, then get a saddle fitter involved from a distance. It's not hard and you don't have to "know" anything about saddle fit to do it. Visit www.trumbullmtn.com and read all about it.

If you are curious about whether the Anky tack will work, then take/mail your tracings and photos to a vendor who sells that tack and has some experience with saddle fitting. I suggest VTO Saddlery, who not only carry the Anky line but also get "the eventing thing" and have a very generous test ride and shipping policy. Based on the tracings and pictures, they can tell you whether an Anky saddle is likely or unlikely to fit you/your horse.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:31 PM
Trumbull! That's the name I was searching for.

LARGEBORE
Mar. 5, 2010, 04:31 PM
From what I understand all of the ANKY models are the same in terms of the tree, twist etc. The differences are in the Flap/Block. The Euro has a bigger knee roll and it has a molded flap. The Remy Carriat is all about the beautiful leather... But any of the saddles should fit the same,

kpony
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:12 PM
I had an Anky Pessoa (I'm short, horse was MW) and found it very comfortable from the first ride and close to the horse, but had a hard time keeping my legs under me. Had the buffulo printed leather which broke in and held up well. Much happier in Niedersuss (reasonable) or Passier GG (expensive). When my horse needed major adjustments to the saddle (grew more than expected), the Anky did not have sufficient panels to accommodate him. The fact that it was tipped back slightly by this point may be why I had leg position problems... Saddle fitter did say it easily fits a lot of horses - but if your horse is just starting work or otherwise expected to change a lot in the near future, this might be something to consider.:)

RegentLion
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:57 PM
I have never ridden in one, but...

They are always for sale cheap second hand, which might tell you something.

You might do better to check out some of the used dressage saddle threads on here. Custom Saddlery will come to you, and they will fit the saddle to you and your horse. There are used saddle retailers who will ship to you for trial.

Yes, it does.... actually I can get an Ovation Klimke Pro II for inexpensive as well, so am kind of leaning toward that. I've also got a lead on a County, but that is a wide tree so that probably won't work.

Boy do I wish Custom Saddlery would come to me... buuuut.... based on where I'm located, I bet they won't. ;)

I think I may go the tracing route. If I can talk DH into it. He thinks that horses can "deal" with whatever tree they are given. I know, I know. :uhoh:

Kudos for you for embarking on an exciting education adventure and keeping an open mind!

The best course of action is to learn to take a wither tracing and take appropriate photos of your back, then get a saddle fitter involved from a distance. It's not hard and you don't have to "know" anything about saddle fit to do it. Visit www.trumbullmtn.com and read all about it.

I'll be looking at that link ASAP! I'm actually embarking on a journey I don't want to be on. I really hate this process and it scares the living **** out of me, all the $$ that could be involved. DH isn't really into this whole "Fit the horse" thing as far as saddles go. He feels it is unnecessary. Don't know how much I can get him to change, but if I can find a less expensive used saddle that fits well from Trumbull, that would be great.

Now, how do I know if the saddle they send fits him well enough? I can have his chiropractor come look, but do the Trumbull people evaluate pics? CAN you evaluate pics of the saddles well enough to determine fit? How accurate are they?

From what I understand all of the ANKY models are the same in terms of the tree, twist etc. The differences are in the Flap/Block. The Euro has a bigger knee roll and it has a molded flap. The Remy Carriat is all about the beautiful leather... But any of the saddles should fit the same,

This is the feeling I was getting. I know they come with the XCH gullet system, but I'm plagued by the nagging feeling that it can't be THAT SIMPLE to get a well fitting saddle. DH disagrees.

Do you happen to know about the Klimke Pro II by Ovation?

I had an Anky Pessoa (I'm short, horse was MW) and found it very comfortable from the first ride and close to the horse, but had a hard time keeping my legs under me. Had the buffulo printed leather which broke in and held up well. Much happier in Niedersuss (reasonable) or Passier GG (expensive). When my horse needed major adjustments to the saddle (grew more than expected), the Anky did not have sufficient panels to accommodate him. The fact that it was tipped back slightly by this point may be why I had leg position problems... Saddle fitter did say it easily fits a lot of horses - but if your horse is just starting work or otherwise expected to change a lot in the near future, this might be something to consider.:)

Thanks for the input... I'm also short, and if I measured correctly my thigh is about 15". So I feel like I may be screwed for saddle fit. :eek: I really appreciate your advice.

The horse I'm fitting has lost some fitness over the winter, but is an adult and I don't expect him to change much. Or I hope he won't anyway.....

vanillabean
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:34 PM
I think the Klimke II is the model I saw last year and I was not impressed. Cheap slippery leather, no real knee rolls, shallow seat, etc. Sort of looked like an old Wintec Pro with cheap leather up close. The Anky saddles were better made and they do break in well. I like the older models better. Although the new Remy model is quite pretty in person, love all the details they put in.

BumbleBee
Mar. 6, 2010, 02:44 PM
Speaking as a happily married woman.... why does it matter what your husband thinks about a saddle for your horse?

RegentLion
Mar. 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
Speaking as a happily married woman.... why does it matter what your husband thinks about a saddle for your horse?

Well, frankly, that is between he and I, but since you asked...;)

HE is paying the bills. HE is also a rider and is actively supportive of my riding hobby. For these things I am greatful.

I suppose I could say "THIS IS UP TO ME, SCREW YOU" or some variation, but in my time with him, I have learned this is not either of our best interests.

The best way is to do it his way first, and then if/when it fails, move on to my way. It keeps the peace, something I'm willing to do.

In grand scheme of things, I choose to pick my battles and what dressage saddle I ride or try first in is NOT a battle I'm willing to fight. We can do this peaceably.

citydog
Mar. 6, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'd also recommend working with Trumbull.

BumbleBee
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry I knew it didn't sound very polite when I wrote that but I had to watch my best friend suffer with her controlling husband for 10 years.

I sort of have a knee jerk reaction now.
Please take it as a compliment that some chick up in Canada doesn't want you getting pushed around.

NJRider
Mar. 7, 2010, 09:53 AM
You are implying that since he is a rider, and it is your riding hobby, that perhaps he has more knowledge about the process? It appears that as far as finding the right saddle, he has a lot to learn. And if it appeals to his pocketbook, NOT using a qualified fitter (which can be done long distance) ensures a ton of money wasted potentially in the long run. Do you not live within driving distance (2-3 hours) of a good shop that stocks a lot of saddles and has used ones, so you can sit in a lot of them and get a better idea of what you like for your body type? Maybe take some on trial then return them, cheaper than shipping one at a time, or take your horse there....

RegentLion
Mar. 7, 2010, 07:02 PM
Sorry I knew it didn't sound very polite when I wrote that but I had to watch my best friend suffer with her controlling husband for 10 years.

I sort of have a knee jerk reaction now.
Please take it as a compliment that some chick up in Canada doesn't want you getting pushed around.

Ok I get where you are coming from now! :) No worries. He's not controlling in the least, but he can have knee-jerk stubbornness, and I've learned how to simply avoid that problem in most circumstances that "aren't worth fighting over" and I would simply rather go a little more roundabout and keep everyone (myself included) happier!:D

You are implying that since he is a rider, and it is your riding hobby, that perhaps he has more knowledge about the process? It appears that as far as finding the right saddle, he has a lot to learn. And if it appeals to his pocketbook, NOT using a qualified fitter (which can be done long distance) ensures a ton of money wasted potentially in the long run. Do you not live within driving distance (2-3 hours) of a good shop that stocks a lot of saddles and has used ones, so you can sit in a lot of them and get a better idea of what you like for your body type? Maybe take some on trial then return them, cheaper than shipping one at a time, or take your horse there....

Oh he has a LOT to learn about saddle fitting (as do I). He's CERTAIN, however, that by ordering an exchangeable gullet saddle that it will fit my horse, no matter what, bar none. There is no way to talk him out of this but rather to simply PROVE IT. And yes it will cost more, but this is how HE THINKS it is going to be cheapest. So. I'll start where he THINKS is going to be the best option, and when it isn't, I will get a relatively free rein to do it "my way."

The closest tack store that stocks saddles is about 6 hours from us, and I don't know if it is even still open. (Millbrook Tack and Trailer in Michigan). I'd like to work with Trumbull Mtn (spelling??) and after the XCH gullet fails, well, then I will. ;)

I posted the thread hoping to at least give myself REASONABLE odds of finding a saddle I'd like (Which Anky saddle? Or try an Ovation?) so that on the off chance that one will fit my horsie, the odds that I like it will be increased. :)

Thomas_1
Mar. 7, 2010, 07:14 PM
My understanding is that they're just Fieldhouse saddles marketed under the name "Anky"