PDA

View Full Version : Rolex 3 Day 2010 Entries

Regal Grace
Mar. 4, 2010, 04:05 PM
It's only a handful...but it's a start and mean spring is just around the corner ; )

http://www.rk3de.org/entry_list.php

purplnurpl
Mar. 4, 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm so sad that Heather Morris will not be there with Slate River. : (

flutie1
Mar. 4, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm so sad that Heather Morris will not be there with Slate River. : (

Why not?

mjrtango93
Mar. 4, 2010, 05:06 PM
Just a couple more weeks until the closing date, so probably start seeing a lot of updates soon. We are waiting on sending our entry to see if getting across the pond for Badminton is a possibility, if not we will be there with our grey monster as well. Stupid money and having to actually pay for stuff!

FlightCheck
Mar. 4, 2010, 05:40 PM
Slate River is one of my favorites...I was VERY bummed when Heather told me :(

Shrapnel
Mar. 4, 2010, 05:52 PM
OMG Laine Ashker is on the list.

Pass the popcorn....

Carol Ames
Mar. 4, 2010, 06:03 PM
Does Laine have an Advanced horse this year?

tuppysmom
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:57 PM
Our entry is ready to put in the mail tomorrow. That's the easy part!

Carol Ames
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:01 PM
Our entry is ready to put in the mail tomorrow. That's the easy part!

Carol Ames
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:17 PM
Just a couple more weeks until the closing date, so probably start seeing a lot of updates soon. We are waiting on sending our entry to see if getting across the pond for Badminton is a possibility, if not we will be there with our grey monster as well. Stupid money and having to actually pay for stuff! Wouldn't it be nice if EE, inc. could sell enough in tickets and broadcasting rights, , that, entries could be offered free :cool:to those who, qualified?;):):cool:

Jane Honda
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:19 PM
The people that get to compete, and well heck! The people that just get to even experience that event first hand are SUPER lucky!

lv2event
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:21 AM
Im very excited for Rolex and Spring! This is the first time I am attending!

Divine Comedy
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:30 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if EE, inc. could sell enough in tickets and broadcasting rights, , that, entries could be offered free :cool:to those who, qualified?;):):cool:

The entry fee for Rolex is only $100, and the stabling and tack stalls are $20/night (to compare with KHP's normal fee of $35/night).

Rolex is actually one of the most inexpensive events in the country, I'm guessing because they have so many sponsors. To compare, I regularly send in entries of $300-$400 for a horse trials and $500-700 for FEI entries.

The Rolex entry doesn't need to be free.

Although, all of the OTHER entries needed to qualify (Fair Hill, Jersey Fresh) are super expensive. Try making those free or cheaper first.

Good luck to your daughter, Pegasusmom!'

(And I'm also very sad that Heather Morris, my assistant trainer, will be unable to compete the RoeBoat at Rolex. She's worked very hard for this and she's gotten some unlucky breaks on both her top horses. Hopefully Yoda will clear to come back into work soon.)

mjrtango93
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:39 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if EE, inc. could sell enough in tickets and broadcasting rights, , that, entries could be offered free :cool:to those who, qualified?;):):cool:

The Rolex entry isn't the expensive part for us, its the getting there and back and all the time away. I always love looking in the omnibus and seeing $100 for an entry fee, right now just horse trials here are basically $500.

MaryKay
Mar. 5, 2010, 09:52 AM
Just got my tickets in the mail yesterday-really looking forward to it and keeping fingers crossed for good weather and safe trips!

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Mar. 5, 2010, 10:01 AM
Does Laine have an Advanced horse this year?

She's entered in Rolex on Anthony Patch so I'm thinking so.

Carol Ames
Mar. 6, 2010, 03:30 PM
[quote=mjr
I could never afford to do it :cry::no:now, even with sleeping in the stall./ trailer:lol:; I’m glad I did it when I did:yes::cool:!

$500.[/quote]

The Rolex entry isn't the expensive part for us, its the getting there and back and all the time away. I always love looking in the omnibus and seeing $100 for an entry fee, right now just horse trials here are basically

Carol Ames
Mar. 6, 2010, 03:31 PM
I could never afford to do it :cry::no:now, even with sleeping in the stall./ trailer:lol:; I’m glad I did it when I did:yes::cool:!

$500.[/quote]

The Rolex entry isn't the expensive part for us, its the getting there and back and all the time away. I always love looking in the omnibus and seeing $100 for an entry fee, right now just horse trials here are basically

staceyk
Mar. 6, 2010, 03:47 PM
Rolex is also inexpensive (in terms of charges/fees) for attendees. I am ever grateful to be able to afford Rolex (as a spectator) b/c I can't afford the WEG...

claire
Mar. 6, 2010, 04:26 PM
Is Rolex one of the WEG qualifiers for eventing?

I wondered why Buck Davidson did not have My Boy Bobby entered?

flutie1
Mar. 6, 2010, 04:52 PM
Slate River is one of my favorites...I was VERY bummed when Heather told me :(

Trying again - What happened?

advmom
Mar. 6, 2010, 04:54 PM
One would think he would be aiming him at Badminton, wouldn't be surprised to see a good number of US 4 star horses headed there

TxEventer81
Mar. 6, 2010, 06:39 PM
One would think he would be aiming him at Badminton, wouldn't be surprised to see a good number of US 4 star horses headed there

I'm hoping so! I get to go watch Badminton this year :D so it would be awesome to cheer for them! Also, I was hoping that my filly I bought last year could catch a ride home with the US Badminton horses but several of the shippers I've talked to have not been be contacted by any US riders. So it's looking like my girl is coming over with Ollie Townend's Rolex horses.

EightBelles134
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'm surprised that Karen O'Connor and Darren Chichchia haven't entered...don't they usually run horses at Rolex?

ohhthatgirl
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:52 PM
Mmmm things like this are making me itch to attend Rolex! I wish I could afford WEG and Rolex tickets. :(

staceyk
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:59 PM
for all for days are like $90, and for WEG you'll want to add a "0" to that number (practically) for tix. The tix are cheap, there is no parking fee, and lexington and the surrounding area has cheap hotels galore.

I feel like Rolex is the best deal in town -- get 4-5 friends together, split a hotel, rent a car, and you can go for super cheap.

jane20008
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:35 PM
I'll join flutie1...what happened to Slate River?

Divine Comedy
Mar. 6, 2010, 11:08 PM
Roe (Slate River) was injured about a week ago.

3phase
Mar. 6, 2010, 11:15 PM
A lot of riders are probably waiting to see what happens after Red Hills before entering Rolex??
How is Jersey Fresh more than Rolex for the entry? Or are there 0's missing on their entry info?
I can't wait to watch it on TV or the internet :)) wish I could watch in person but can't afford the trip.

JER
Mar. 7, 2010, 01:40 AM
Roe (Slate River) was injured about a week ago.

Too bad. Although it seemed a bit much to be asking a horse to run an Advanced HT on Tuesday and then an OI HT on Fri-Sat.

Auburn
Mar. 7, 2010, 07:17 AM
The entry fee for Rolex has been $100 for as long as I have lived down here, which has been around three years. It may have been that price for longer?

Often the cost of renting the stalls is less for them, than the rest of us who show at the KHP, too. I guess that it is a perk for being the best of the best?

yellowbritches
Mar. 7, 2010, 07:40 AM
Rolex has been $100 for as long as I've been smart enough to look in the Omnibus to see how much it costs- so at least 8 years, but probably much, much longer.

rideforthelaurels16
Mar. 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
I'm trying to go this year - but with my college budget, I'll probably be able to afford the tickets and the flight and then I'll be SOL for somewhere to stay :lol:
TxEventer - if you see Ollie, please hold onto him for me until I can come pick him up ;)

Carol Ames
Mar. 7, 2010, 09:06 PM
I thought //bobby had qualified with last years' Rolex; I would rxpect it more likely to be a"selection trial" for the USET What's the story on that?:confused:
'Is Rolex one of the WEG qualifiers for eventing?

3phase
Mar. 7, 2010, 09:36 PM
Guess I never looked in the omnibus lol. I never checked into the prices when I went and watched in 93/94 but than it was only a ***. Seems like a really good perk with lower fees!

NeverTime
Mar. 8, 2010, 06:52 AM
Entires don't close until March 23. Just because a certain person or horse isn't entered now doesn't mean they aren't going. Note that none of the four featured riders are officially entered yet!

mugsgame
Mar. 8, 2010, 07:06 PM
Badminton entries are supposed to be up/closed on Friday. I fully expect to see Ollie Townend take a double hand to Kentucky. He would be mad not to go for the grand slam.

saje
Mar. 8, 2010, 08:00 PM
Not to mention that just because they aren't on the website list yet doesn't mean they haven't entered, it just means that the list hasn't been fully updated :p

sisu27
Mar. 8, 2010, 08:18 PM
Ian & Smokey!!!

Regal Grace
Mar. 9, 2010, 04:43 PM
New article from Nancy Jaffer today about Oliver's choice of entry for The Rolex 3 Day Event.....

http://equisearch.com/equiwire%5Fnews/nancy%5Fjaffer/townend%5Frolex%5Fgrand%5Fslam%5F030910/

JER
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:17 PM
New article from Nancy Jaffer today about Oliver's choice of entry for The Rolex 3 Day Event.....

Hilarious. With $350K on the line he's bringing one horse and a new one at that.

Must be some serious soundness issues in the OT barn. :rolleyes:

Regal Grace
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hilarious. With $350K on the line he's bringing one horse and a new one at that.

Could be given this quote (if quoted correctly by Nancy Jaffer). I must confess it made me cringe and I had to read it twice to make sure I read it right. Unless I am wrong "Equipment" and "it" means the horse. Don't think he's referring to his saddle ; )

"But at the same time, I feel a lot more comfortable in my own skin about where I am in the sport. I always felt I could ride so well but you need the equipment as well, and you don't get the equipment by keeping (on) selling it."

mugsgame
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:39 PM
Well I am not convinced we will see Carousel Quest for a fair while. Flint looked like a complete dog at the European Championships and was lame the next day.

Cruise Master is an impressive horse and though he says its dressage is bad frankly its getting mostly in the early 50s so with a fair bit of training and tweaking it could easily improve into the 40s. He has a horse off Ruth Edge called Mayhem who does a decent dressage but is hit and miss would not be surprised to see him chucked on the plane.

TxEventer81
Mar. 9, 2010, 07:11 PM

I wondered the same thing, especially after it was reported that OT called Rolex organizers asking what was the maximum number of horses he could bring....

Mar. 10, 2010, 12:22 PM
Anyone who calls their horses "equipment" shouldn't be allowed to own, ride, touch, see, or smell a horse. Horses are our faithful companions and friends, not a tool to promote a career. Reading his interview disgusted me.

SandyUHC
Mar. 10, 2010, 02:39 PM
Ah, the huffy sound of ruffled feathers, must have wandered on to CotH.

e.quip.ment: anything kept, furnished, or provided for a specific purpose. A horse is equipment for a riding sport by definition and I don't find it offensive, particularly not in the context or in the language usage of his country.

The chef d'equipe manages all the affairs of a team. That would make them equipment as well, eh?

nomeolvides
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
Anyone who calls their horses "equipment" shouldn't be allowed to own, ride, touch, see, or smell a horse. Horses are our faithful companions and friends, not a tool to promote a career. Reading his interview disgusted me.
I doubt he really calls his horses "equipment". Think he was probably making a point that in sport in general, you need the equipment to make it.

Shrapnel
Mar. 10, 2010, 03:33 PM

http://equisearch.com/equiwire%5Fnews/nancy%5Fjaffer/townend%5Frolex%5Fgrand%5Fslam%5F030910/

Wow, you have to give the guy credit for thinking more about what's in his horse's best interest rather than his own.

His chances of winning this year are not good at all but I guess the guy can try, right?

I can't wait to see the final entry list.

sisu27
Mar. 11, 2010, 09:48 AM

Speaking of tools.....get over yourself. Figure of speech people. This guy just can't win with the hens around here. It amazes me. If he was bringing 3 horses to Kentucky he would be criticized for that too.

I'm certainly not friends with the guy but I have ridden with him (as have a few others on here that will hopefully check in) and he just does not appear to be what many are trying so desperately to paint him as. Does he like to win? You bet. I think that might apply to many ULRs though. Except OT has managed to reach that level in less time than most. He has figured out how to market himself and make a go of this and it might not be the route chosen by most but you have to give him credit for being effective.

I really don't see why he raises the ire of so many around here. :confused::confused:

keepsake7
Mar. 12, 2010, 02:08 PM
watch yourself "Shrapnel".
i dont appreciate that comment you made about Lainey!
If you are gonna be a smartass with what you say about LA behind the safety of your computer screen, go ahead and post your real name and ill pull up your USEA record and see how well you compare to Lainey's record!
-member of Team Ashker!

FrittSkritt
Mar. 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
If you are gonna be a smartass with what you say about LA behind the safety of your computer screen, go ahead and post your real name and ill pull up your USEA record and see how well you compare to Lainey's record!
-member of Team Ashker!

:rolleyes:

Get over yourself.

saje
Mar. 12, 2010, 02:46 PM
-member of Team Ashker!

And your name is....???

LexInVA
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:17 PM

And your name is....???

Alkie Holik. :lol:

FrittSkritt
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:27 PM
Alkie Holik. :lol:

Actually, I think it's Seymour Butts.

europa
Mar. 12, 2010, 03:44 PM
Oh you mean like the fact KEEPSAKE7 that you have 1 post to your credit....move along there is a padded cell for you somewhere.

Back off of Shrapnel.

BTW I wouldn't let her ride my horse....nuff said.

Pass the popcorn

Shrapnel
Mar. 12, 2010, 06:52 PM
-member of Team Ashker!

watch myself!? haha yeah, right.:lol:

I really don't care that you don't appreciate my comment.

Secondly, almost everyone on here is anonymous, including you, so get over it.

Shrapnel
Mar. 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
Oh you mean like the fact KEEPSAKE7 that you have 1 post to your credit....move along there is a padded cell for you somewhere.

Back off of Shrapnel.

BTW I wouldn't let her ride my horse....nuff said.

Pass the popcorn

This.

Thanks europa! :)

Shrapnel
Mar. 12, 2010, 06:54 PM
Actually, I think it's Seymour Butts.

It has to be this. :lol:

3phase
Mar. 12, 2010, 09:46 PM
Ooooh drama on COTH..you guys are funny.
Does anyone know which horse William Fox-Pitt is bringing to Rolex (saw he has the date on his calendar so figuring he's attending?) I can't believe Rolex is just over a month away...so exciting! And then Badminton to follow. Any NA competitors that are known to have entered at Badminton??

blackwly
Mar. 13, 2010, 12:35 AM
On the subject of the Rolex featured riders, I love reading their updates but somebody has got to cut down on Hawley Bennett's caffeine. Her latest entry has no less than 27 exclamation points... in the first paragraph.

Nobody can say that she is not enthusiastic about what she does! She seems like a very nice person but WOAH.

http://www.rk3de.org/featured_rider.php?id=23&pid=2

Sara Lieser
Mar. 13, 2010, 08:22 AM
I'm a bit late to the party, but you can see the complete interview with Oli Townend, complete with the questions asked for context, here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/interview-oliver-townend

advmom
Mar. 14, 2010, 03:56 PM
Whoa, you are right...and I might add it would be great to read more on her prep for Rolex than on her personal life or that of her former mount, Livingston

retreadeventer
Mar. 15, 2010, 09:10 AM
Oli is in form. He's a butcher, I think everyone in England knows it, he even knows it. Horses are a way to make MONEY for him, nothing more. He seems to have a way of cooking his top end animals, eh?
The writing skills of most of the upper level people I know are about on par with Hawley's...they aren't good communicators on paper....lots of times I get the feeling they are texting this stuff while waiting for the vet or in an airport or something. For some posts, it's clear there's not much thought put into it. Sort of seems an "in-the-moment" sort of production, and this, more than anything, is what scares me about competitions like Rolex. If that is the interest, or priority, they put on major publicity (for one of the biggest events in the WORLD) for themselves and their sport, then it makes you wonder what priority they put on other aspects of what they are doing with horses. There doesn't seem to be much information this year on actual prep with the horses. Getting to Rolex seems to be about selling horses, teaching lessons, whining about stuff and enjoying the sunshine in points south....

Blugal
Mar. 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, retread...

JER
Mar. 15, 2010, 05:22 PM
Great post, retread. You really nailed it.

Perhaps our eventing 'diarists' or 'bloggers' (the terms are far too literate for almost all of them) should take a look at Catherine Haddad's lively, engaging COTH blog or at Daisy Dick's witty and insightful ongoing diary for Eventing magazine.

(That said, Kelly Prather's Rolex diary stands far above the others.)

BuddyRoo
Mar. 15, 2010, 05:33 PM
All I can say is.....I can't wait to get down there and see horses jumping ginormous stuff on Saturday. Best day of the year in my world.

Mar. 15, 2010, 05:45 PM
well said, Retread.

CiegoStar
Mar. 15, 2010, 06:20 PM
I guess I'm the only one who finds the riders' clearly genuine, unedited, non-publicist-vetted diaries to be charming.

I don't expect them to be great writers. I'll look elsewhere for that. We live in a world of too much artifice as it is.

InVA
Mar. 15, 2010, 06:56 PM
I'm surprised that Karen O'Connor and Darren Chichchia haven't entered...don't they usually run horses at Rolex?

I would think Karen may take Mandiba. But you ARE joking about the other one, right?

saje
Mar. 16, 2010, 07:18 AM
Nope, CiegoStar, I'm with you.

I like reading what's on those riders' minds, I don't expect them to give me yet another PH or COTH style article. If I want those I'll go buy a magazine.

VicariousRider
Mar. 16, 2010, 08:02 AM
For some posts, it's clear there's not much thought put into it. Sort of seems an "in-the-moment" sort of production, and this, more than anything, is what scares me about competitions like Rolex. If that is the interest, or priority, they put on major publicity (for one of the biggest events in the WORLD) for themselves and their sport, then it makes you wonder what priority they put on other aspects of what they are doing with horses.

I've been thinking about the above for a few days now and I have to say that the statement in bold does not sit well with me. It seems that out UL riders are between a rock and a hard place because when they appear heavily invested in their PR people chastise them for being money hungry and then this statement equates their lack of investment in PR with lack of investment in other areas of the sport. I think that we need to cut these people some slack on this front for the following reasons:

1. These posts on the RK3DE website are probably not being a lot of attention by their authors because they are consumed with actually preparing for Rolex. NOT because they are "corner cutters" as implied in the post cited above.

2. Not all professional athletes have the PR gift. Some are better writers that others. Some have had to forego educational opportunities to pursue their career in horses.

3. These riders are ambassadors for our sport but these blogs are a forum for them to write about what is important or inspirational to them in the Rolex prep process.

Just my humble opinion that poor writing skills or lack of editing does not inherently imply sloppyness or corner cutting.

shea'smom
Mar. 16, 2010, 08:17 AM
Completely agree with the above post.

retreadeventer
Mar. 16, 2010, 08:26 AM
If anyone thinks "PR" is NOT a part of being a success in the horse world....well....all I can say is...it is pretty much ALL of dealing with owners, sponsors, coaches, management, students, and fans. Is there anyone who gives you money, or opportunity, you can afford to be rude to?

CiegoStar
Mar. 16, 2010, 09:37 AM
If anyone thinks "PR" is NOT a part of being a success in the horse world....well....all I can say is...it is pretty much ALL of dealing with owners, sponsors, coaches, management, students, and fans. Is there anyone who gives you money, or opportunity, you can afford to be rude to?

Who's being rude?

As far as PR goes - and I'm in the industry - the professional horse world's relative naivete is refreshing to me. Sure, there are some riders with PR help. Clearly they are not among the ones selected for the training diaries and for that I thank them.

I agree 100 percent with VicariousRider.

sisu27
Mar. 16, 2010, 09:38 AM

If that is so, given your clear opinion of OT, why does he have any horses then?

I'm not saying it isn't important but if I were an owner there would be a myriad of other factors that would determine who would get the ride on my horse. Eloquence would be a charming bonus but not a necessity.

Also....I can differentiate between those that have higher priority in me getting what I want and adjust my behavior accordingly. It's called politics. I would assume ULRs may possess the same skill. To judge them on their blogs just seems silly to me.

ntoeventing
Mar. 16, 2010, 10:33 AM
The quality of the blog entries has no correlation to what the featured riders are doing with their horses. These journal entries are supposed to be first-hand accounts of personal experiences leading up to Rolex. They are intended to be THE RIDER'S THOUGHTS (not a magazine article).

If I were preparing my horse for Rolex, I too would be excited! It's ridiculous to criticize Hawley for using numerous exclamation points in her blog entry. It's her blog entry, and who are we to say she has too much enthusiasm for the sport? Is there such a thing as too much enthusiasm for the sport? In fact, there are several riders who could use a little enthusiasm and spend some time promoting the sport.

These featured riders are extremely busy preparing for Rolex, riding their other horses, competing, traveling and have graciously agreed to allow the general public to get a behind-the-scenes look at their life and preparation for The big event of the year.

We should appreciate their efforts to involve everyone, and not judge them for their "in the moment sort of production" blog entries. What do you people want? If no one agreed to do these sort of "PR" activities, then they would be criticized for being rude.

I want to thank them for their time!

takeone4theteam
Mar. 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
This seems like a nonproductive way to direct the conversation about Rolex entries. I know plenty of upper level riders that do not write well, but their owners would never dream of pulling horses out of their programs based on writing skills. Nor do their sponsers or fans withdrawl support. Now if a rider actually goes down the wrong path with PR, well that's a different story. I see no problems with the Rolex blogs.

TxEventer81
Mar. 16, 2010, 11:33 AM
So... I thought OT said he decided a month ago that he was taking one horse? I would think he would have made his decision on who he was taking before he sent in his entries... But then again I'm not privy to the timeframe from sent entry to posted on Rolex's site...

Awesome to see WFP!!! :yes:

starboard
Mar. 16, 2010, 12:20 PM
Oli is in form. He's a butcher, I think everyone in England knows it, he even knows it. Horses are a way to make MONEY for him, nothing more.

a butcher? can you provide examples?

Blugal
Mar. 16, 2010, 01:00 PM
Let me qualify my earlier statement. Kelly Prather's blog is what I think the RK3DE blogs should be - the rider describing her path to & preparation for Rolex, including pictures of her Rolex horse.

Leslie Law's is the opposite - he agreed to do the blog and then handed it over to his wife! I don't think Lesley is doing a bad job of the blog - but it isn't a rider's first-hand thoughts and experiences in preparing for Rolex.

I was also thinking of previous years' blogs which had a similar problems. If you are TOO busy preparing for Rolex to do the blog - then please decline the invitation to write one and let someone else do it!

ntoeventing
Mar. 16, 2010, 01:30 PM
There is nothing wrong with any of the rider's blogs. Everyone is different and that is ok. If every blog were the same, it would be boring to read them all. I'm glad to read different rider's blogs, whether they are written by them or someone close to them. It just gives a different perspective and adds interest.

VicariousRider
Mar. 16, 2010, 02:49 PM
I don't see any of the RK3DE blogs as rude...

Of course PR is important in a sport where private and corporate sponsorship are all but essential at the upper levels, but not all ULRs can afford PR people or have a good editor on hand.

Anyhow, I am very excited for Rolex this year! My dear friend is making her **** debut (though she isn't entered yet) and I was supposed to groom for her but it is the weekend before my 1L exams. Makes me want to cry... :( Wish I could be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Exclamations added for Retread :) )

Robby Johnson
Mar. 16, 2010, 04:48 PM
I think the entries offer an organic quality to the preparatory journey. To me it's like visiting someone's home: you really get a more textured perception through their personal environment(s) and day-to-day actions.

It's always a good idea to have someone review your writing prior to publication, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to default to a 9th grade essay writing model (lead statement referencing 3 key points, 3 paragraphs devoted to those key points, and a conclusion) for assignments such as this.

I have written some of these entries for Evan in the past; he works very hard to get riders to contribute and I echo the sentiment that a direct message from the source has much greater impact than one that's been scrubbed too much.

With that said, I can't agree more on the exclamation points. (I just struggled not to use one.) Oy. I just struggled again. Better sign off before I'm consumed.

blazing saddles
Mar. 16, 2010, 05:08 PM
Gratuitous use of the exclamations for Bennett, absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!

What could she have been thinking????????????? :o

Seriously, it's not a big deal. Take it easy.

gchildean
Mar. 16, 2010, 07:50 PM
Is Rolex one of the WEG qualifiers for eventing?

I just read in a COTH article that By Boy Bobby will be having an easy spring. He will do The Fork and then have some time before the selection trials. Sounds like he isn't doing Rolex.

Shrapnel
Mar. 17, 2010, 09:40 AM
I just read in a COTH article that By Boy Bobby will be having an easy spring. He will do The Fork and then have some time before the selection trials. Sounds like he isn't doing Rolex.

Really good decision by Buck. The horse looked fantastic at Rolex last year and finished 3rd. He definitely doesn't need to prove himself. I would say, if he and Buck stay healthy they'll be on the team this fall. Really great seeing another top rider making the right decision in the best interest of his horse.

claire
Mar. 17, 2010, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the information!

So glad to hear he is not being pushed...at the same time I will miss being able to see him at Rolex.
(I missed Rolex LY)

Mar. 18, 2010, 05:09 PM
it's really starting to fill up....... Check it out now, Phillip on 5?

TxEventer81
Mar. 18, 2010, 05:19 PM

PD is entered on Woodburn for both Rolex and Badminton. I wonder when he'll decide which to run... if he hasn't decided already :)

Shrapnel
Mar. 18, 2010, 06:34 PM

Don't worry, he won't be riding 5. The riders are actually only allowed to bring 2 horses at the most. A lot of people (if they have multiple rides) will enter every horse they have and then as Rolex gets closer pick and choose who they want to take where. It should be interesting to see which 2 he brings to Kentucky.

VicariousRider
Mar. 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
I just saw read (courtesy of Eventing Nation) Sinead Halpin's Tate will not be able to run at Rolex and will have to be "sidelined" for the rest of the season.

http://sineadchalpin.blogspot.com/2010/03/not-so-good-news.html

I don't know Halpin well, but the horse seems like a nice up-and-comer and I am sorry to hear that he is injured at this early point in his career. Halpin also did a great service to us all in keeping us informed about Rebecca Howard's status while she was hospitalized.

Jingles to Tate and best of luck to Sinead. It seems like she has many successful year ahead but what a frustrating setback.

saje
Mar. 19, 2010, 11:44 AM
Don't worry, he won't be riding 5. The riders are actually only allowed to bring 2 horses at the most. A lot of people (if they have multiple rides) will enter every horse they have and then as Rolex gets closer pick and choose who they want to take where. It should be interesting to see which 2 he brings to Kentucky.

Actually, per the Omnibus:

"Limit on Horses: Competitors may ride at the most three (3) horses. Consideration may be given for four (4), but request must be made in writing with reasons."

Scaramouch
Mar. 19, 2010, 11:53 AM
He had 3 in 2005, didn't he? Long format, at that.

mjedge808
Mar. 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
Looks like the Irish rider Geoff Curran is also double-entered, Rolex and Badminton.

Regal Grace
Mar. 30, 2010, 02:11 PM

Clayton Fredericks and The Frog

Phillip Dutton riding Jan's horse Waterfront

Mike Pollard and Wondefull Will, etc.

Threedaydream
Mar. 30, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ooh they're still filling in even now! So exciting! :winkgrin:

GotSpots
Mar. 30, 2010, 03:09 PM
Some great combinations are entered! Very exciting. Recall that some folks may enter just in case but decide, based on their prior showings and conversations with the team that their horse doesn't need to run after all; others may decide to get a run around the course to help familiarize themselves for the WEG; and still others are looking to prove themselves and put down a Godfather performance that weekend. I suspect a number of horses on that list may do dressage but not actually start out of the box on Saturday; others may be pulled before the jog for any one of a hundred reasons. Too early to tell, in other words.

As for the blogs, I think they are super. I've really enjoyed Lesley's writing a great deal, as well as Bruce's lovely tone and comments about his beloved Jam. I think the insight and personal touch is really nice, whoever is doing the writing/ghosting.

Though, if you're like me, what you're really dying for is Jimmy's Rolex preview and wondering who has been buttering him up this spring in the hopes that he'll kepp some juicy bit under wraps!

NeverTime
Mar. 30, 2010, 03:26 PM
I find myself a little worried for the people who used last year's highly modified Fair Hill as their CCI*** qualifier for Rolex. Hopefully they got solid experience over bigger advanced tracks before and after that event.

Also worried for the person riding a horse in its first 4* who he has only completed one advanced HT with. They are qualified -- the trainer has ridden the horse to qualify it for Rolex and rider has completed Rolex on another horse -- but it just seems like our qualification system should require horse and rider to get a little more experience together than that. I guess they couldn't write rules like that without interfering with a long tradition of catch riding at big events.

kdjace80
Mar. 30, 2010, 03:53 PM
He had 3 in 2005, didn't he? Long format, at that.

He rode 4 in 2004. 2 in the new, short format and 2 in the long format. Brite, Tucker, Simon, and Hank.

FarrierPrincess
Mar. 31, 2010, 06:59 AM
We will know more once the dust settles from the Fork this weekend.

I am cheering for Simon!

Jupes
Mar. 31, 2010, 11:51 AM
To look at the other side of the coin, I surely don't want anyone making assumptions about my writing ability based on riding ability. (yikes!)

circusponydreams
Mar. 31, 2010, 12:18 PM
To look at the other side of the coin, I surely don't want anyone making assumptions about my writing ability based on riding ability. (yikes!)

Ha - sad but true!

I hope they'll be streaming everything online again this year. I really enjoyed watching all the rides last year; well worth what they charged for it.

Meredith Clark
Mar. 31, 2010, 11:41 PM
I find myself a little worried for the people who used last year's highly modified Fair Hill as their CCI*** qualifier for Rolex. Hopefully they got solid experience over bigger advanced tracks before and after that event.

Also worried for the person riding a horse in its first 4* who he has only completed one advanced HT with. They are qualified -- the trainer has ridden the horse to qualify it for Rolex and rider has completed Rolex on another horse -- but it just seems like our qualification system should require horse and rider to get a little more experience together than that. I guess they couldn't write rules like that without interfering with a long tradition of catch riding at big events.

who's that? I hate guessing games or USEA searches!

gchildean
Apr. 1, 2010, 10:28 AM
I have a feeling I know who you are talking about. They are entered at the 3* this weekend at the Fork so we shall see how it goes. But, both this horse and rider have extensive experience at the Advanced level. If it were an amateur then I would worry.

3phase
Apr. 1, 2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone know if Tiffani Loudon-Meetze is entering?

RoeVee
Apr. 1, 2010, 11:13 PM
I don't think Tiffani has a horse at this level? Lo Fino is still at Intermediate. I think that is the only high level horse she has been competing this Spring.

FrittSkritt
Apr. 2, 2010, 02:32 PM
Does she still have Above N Beyond? Always liked that horse...

3phase
Apr. 2, 2010, 05:18 PM
I talked to Jean Moyer back in late Jan and she still had Abe (I thought that's who she'd have going.) Maybe something happened :( Always my fav in the barn (when I worked for her), plus he's from BC :)
Less than 3 weeks til Rolex :)))

NeverTime
Apr. 3, 2010, 10:36 PM
Yes, the Fork has a way of sorting things out, for better or worse.

A great confidence-builder for those who had nice rounds, but so disappointing for those who expected this to be the final prep before Rolex only to have it go sour.

Poor Holly Payne -- I hope hope hope Madeline is not too seriously hurt. I was really hoping to cheer for her at Rolex. She's so much fun to watch XC, she's like the little chestnut engine that could!

Ronald Zabala broke his collarbone in four places, according to EN, so no Rolex for him now. Painful, but hopefully not so serious that they won't be able to gain some valuable three-star experience together this fall.

Also SO sorry to read about Nicki Henley. That was shaping up to be such a great comeback story for such a fabulous horse, but of course he'll be coddled to the day he dies so, ultimately, all's well that ends well. It must be so disappointing for all his connections, though, and disappointing for all of us who wanted to see him doing his thing again at Kentucky.

Also, nothing to do with Rolex, but I love that Buck rode XC at the Fork in his grandmother's colors. What a touching tribute.

ellebeaux
Apr. 3, 2010, 11:10 PM
Jonathan Paget and Clifton Promise won the New Zealand Horse of the Year event.

Regal Grace
Apr. 12, 2010, 11:00 AM
It suddenly occured to me they are not on the Rolex entry list. Really suprised since their last two outings at Rolex were great (off course with the unforunate withdrawal before SJ because of an allergic reaction to some soap CD was washed with).

Does anyone know if they will be at Jersey Fresh in May?

lstevenson
Apr. 12, 2010, 11:18 AM
Also SO sorry to read about Nicki Henley. That was shaping up to be such a great comeback story for such a fabulous horse, but of course he'll be coddled to the day he dies so, ultimately, all's well that ends well. It must be so disappointing for all his connections, though, and disappointing for all of us who wanted to see him doing his thing again at Kentucky.

I knew he pulled up, but I never heard what the problem was. Did he hurt a tendon again?

mjrtango93
Apr. 12, 2010, 11:35 AM
I knew he pulled up, but I never heard what the problem was. Did he hurt a tendon again?

I read on the Fork write up that Mara pulled him up 3 legged, and at the time of the article it was believed he re-injured that tendon he just recovered from. Sounded like her plan is re-hab then retirement for him.

lstevenson
Apr. 12, 2010, 11:38 AM
I read on the Fork write up that Mara pulled him up 3 legged, and at the time of the article it was believed he re-injured that tendon he just recovered from. Sounded like her plan is re-hab then retirement for him.

Oh no! I was hoping that was not the case. :(

NeverTime
Apr. 12, 2010, 01:38 PM
It suddenly occured to me they are not on the Rolex entry list. Really suprised since their last two outings at Rolex were great (off course with the unforunate withdrawal before SJ because of an allergic reaction to some soap CD was washed with).

Does anyone know if they will be at Jersey Fresh in May?

He got hurt at Southern Pines. He'll be back in action, but not in time for Rolex, sadly.

Regal Grace
Apr. 12, 2010, 01:45 PM
He got hurt at Southern Pines. He'll be back in action, but not in time for Rolex, sadly.

Thanks for the update. Glad to know it's not serious.