PDA

View Full Version : Oh my gosh I WANT ONE!

pj
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:35 AM
I spent an hour and a half last night reading about these saddles and I want one!!
Bet they cost two arms and at least one leg. Never could find a price list anywhere.
You have to do a lot of clicking around to find out all about them, how the system works, etc. but I am now LUSTING after one of these saddles.
Anyone have any experience with them?

pj
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:38 AM
I spent an hour and a half last night reading about these saddles and I want one!!
Bet they cost two arms and at least one leg. Never could find a price list anywhere.
You have to do a lot of clicking around to find out all about them, how the system works, etc. but I am now LUSTING after one of these saddles.
Anyone have any experience with them?

Wouldl help if I included the link wouldn't it? The lust has clouded my mind.
:yes:
http://www.american-flex.com/A-f%20Easy%20Slide%20Saddles.htm

Thomas_1
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:41 AM
you didn't say WHAT saddle? !

katarine
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:51 AM
Why?

Guilherme
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
Lots of claims. Some historical error. Their Battery might be a nice saddle, but it is NOT a modern reproduction of a McClellan. It is, at best, a modern saddle suggested by the McClellan. If they can't get this right how can I be sure that they can get anything right?

And the price? For what these guys want I can have Smith Worthington make me a real quality replica of a Mac, Phillips, Grimsley, etc. And S-M has been around long enough to have made saddles for George Washington.

I think I'll pass. :yes:

G.

Bank of Dad
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:04 PM
I read their catalog over and over, and I bought the hackamore and liked it. However, I just can't bring myself to get any saddle with out first seeing it on the horse. I'm never near these folks.

JetsBuddy
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:07 PM
The barn owner has a similar type saddle with the flex panels and really likes it but uses her Bob Marshall treeless more. The Ameriflex are pricey - around $2k but you can find them used.

pj
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:11 PM
Why?
Because when you read all the info they have out and look at all the pictures it seems just the thing. :lol: Of course the site is a mess and you have wander here there and yonder to get it.
The whole concept makes sense to me!
Heheheh not that that says much.

pj
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:15 PM
And the price? For what these guys want I can have Smith Worthington make me a real quality replica of a Mac, Phillips, Grimsley, etc. And S-M has been around long enough to have made saddles for George Washington.

I think I'll pass. :yes:

G.

I figured as much on the price. Never could find a price list and that's usually not a good omen. :D

Y'all keep it up. I REALLY need to be brought down from this lustful high I'm on.
:)

pj
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:17 PM
I read their catalog over and over, and I bought the hackamore and liked it. However, I just can't bring myself to get any saddle with out first seeing it on the horse. I'm never near these folks.

Can't remember exactly where I read it but somewhere in all that it says you may return a saddle you aren't happy with within thirty days. Before I counted on that I would get it in writing.

Leather
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:39 PM
I agree, their website sucks but they have the BEST products, especially for horse camping.

If you scroll way down on the link you posted and click on the "detailed order form" per saddle it lists the base price at the bottom of the order sheet.

Most of them start at $2,500.

I'm going to sit in some at the upcoming Horse Expo, they were there last year but I didn't get a chance to.

PRS
Mar. 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
I recently satisfied my own lust for a new saddle...I bought one like this: http://www.freedomtreeless.com/G3Hybrid.html One of the best things about dealing with this brand is that they will send you demo to ride in for a week or two on your own horse. They want you to use the saddle as if it were your own so you don't have to wrap it in bubble wrap to protect it. All you pay is shipping.

Another great thing about dealing with the Sensation brand is that EVERY saddle ordered is custom made. Yep you can get a custom made saddle made to your specifications for around $1,200.00 - $1,300. When I got ready to order I got to choose the leather colors and types. I got to choose the type of metal (brass or stainless) and had the seat made slightly bigger for me. Here is a picture of my own saddle 2nd one down: http://www.freedomtreeless.com/Gallery.html

You can also choose other modifications to the saddle all at nominal up charges.

But the absolute best thing about this saddle is the unrivaled comfort for me and my horse. I cannot express just how comfortable this saddle is. I used to have knee and hip pain from long hours in my treed saddle but not anymore. I am 49 years old and have ridden in lots of different saddles...my new saddle is hands down the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in.

Regarding the saddles in your link...I confess I did not read the entire website but having just finished my new saddle shopping journey I do know that often times when a company claims that you can return it they will charge you for shipping plus a restocking fee which can be as much as 15% or more of the purchase price AND the saddle must be in "new" condition. Looking at their design I would think that it would leave you feeling "perched" above the horse rather than "one with the horse".

JetsBuddy
Mar. 4, 2010, 03:04 PM
There are other flex panel saddles out there that are less expensive than the American Flex. The barn owner has a Rocking R that works really well.

2 years ago I splurged and had a Boz custom made. I had owned a used one and hubby talked me into saving pennies and ordering a new one. He figured with all of the saddles that I had bought over the past few years trying to find the right one, I had spent more than the new Boz would cost. I absolutely love mine. It's super comfy for the rider and has fit every horse I have used it on.
http://www.bozsaddlery.com/

dressagejudy
Mar. 4, 2010, 03:19 PM
They look just like the Ortho-flex saddles. I have the endurance cutback (by Ortho-flex) and LOVE it. I also have one of the dressage saddles and it was great as my horse was growing up but very hard to sit the extended trot on. I'm thinking they are a knock off of Ortho-Flex or the original guy sold Ortho-flex and now has a different name. I'm just guessing on that because I know that Ortho-flex was sold.
Judy

howardh
Mar. 5, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hello

I know this saddle. The Americanflex was actually made in Germany. Do to the high cost and exchange rate, the person who sold them is now making their own saddles called Evolutionary, which is a much nicer saddle with better leather.

Call the owner she is genuine and will send a saddle. Freight is what is it! Blame UPS not the saddle maker. The web site is a HOT MESS but the owner is passionate about riding and the saddle. You would be amazed at how many saddle makers don't ride! I know this person does. She is at the parks all the time!

I got an American Flex as I was sick of buying a new saddle every time I bought a new horse. They really do fit all. I wish I had waited for an Evolutionary as they are much nicer.

I usually ride in an english saddle but for trails and all day/ overnight rides I do take out my endurance American flex as I have all the hooks and rings to hang packs etc.

The mounted police ride in them here as they have to buy their own gear and face the same issue: changing horses.

They are expensive, but honestly, if you cost out all the saddles you have bought over the years and all the time spent trying to find one that fits you AND the horse...I don't think they are that much.

Be careful buying used as American had a carbon fiber tree for a year that you could not fix if something went wrong. Sorry, don't remember why.

When I load up my horses to ride I can put ONE saddle in the trailer now.

The only thing I hate is that you have to use a pad that fits these saddles. They go around the panels, and stay on great, but I have a million pads in a million colors. I like to change colors on the trail and I can't with this saddle unless I buy their pads which are expensive. :(

pj
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:50 AM
Thank you all for the input.
I'm not quite as lustful as I was but I still would like to have one.

Guess I'll see how much money is in my change jar and start adding to it as I get change. Shouldn't take too long and, heck, I'm only sixty nine. I've got time.
:D

nomoregrays
Mar. 6, 2010, 07:22 PM
I have an Orthoflex Stitchdown saddle that I bought years ago - long before the company was sold. It looks like the same type of saddle.

http://www.ortho-flex.com/Saddles/Stitchdown.htm

The saddle was comfortable, but I felt like I was sitting several inches above the horse's back. It's definitely *not* a close contact saddle.