PDA

View Full Version : The "L" Program

DHFDressage
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:12 AM
I would love to hear some thoughts on the L and judges program.
Anyone attending?

Reiter
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:26 AM
I'm leaving tomorrow for Part A! :)

atr
Mar. 4, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have recently audited parts A & B, part C is here in Utah mid March. Part A was with Sandy Howard, part B was with Janet Foy, part C is with Tracey Lert.

As a lower level (2nd-ish) rider, it's helped me develop my eye and understanding for what's correct and how correctness happens.

I've learned a huge amount about how and why judges come to the conclusions they do. I think, when I look around our group, a lot of preconceived notions about what judges are looking for have been dispelled.

I'm really looking forward to part C, which is the rider biomechanics and equitation and collective marks session.

If oyu have the oppportunity to take part in this, as a participant or as an auditor, I'd highly recommend it as part of your all-round dressage education, even if your goal isn't to go on with the judges program.

It's going to be very interesting in our tiny area to see how much of an influence this education will have on our local riders this upcoming show season.

And I know that I'm not the only person who has decided that they or their horse really isn't quite ready to move up a level yet, based on what they have learned over the past few months!

littlemanor
Mar. 4, 2010, 05:41 PM
My husband's starting the L program sessions in April in Florida. We've been working together on "practice judging" YouTube tests in the evenings--he judges, I'm the scribe/scorer, and we see how he does compared to the real judge--lots of fun, and I'm learning a lot. I found that I'm pretty good on the rules just because of all the questions asked on this forum over the years . . .

sporthorsept
Mar. 4, 2010, 07:37 PM
Love it - learned a lot the first time through in 2006 and though I'm an "L" grad with distinction (isn't that fun to say), I plan to retake A-C again this year because of how much better the program has become!

My showing has improved too - understanding the mechanics of how the score is arrived at lets you be a more savvy competitor!

:-)

Anne

CapitolDesign
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
Check out my Dressage Today blog about the program I am in right now, since it pretty much sums up everything I have to say about this great program.

Headed to C section on the 13th, so stay posted for more :)

MassageLady
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
I have a good friend who is an L judge with distinction-and she is just amazing and has a great eye for horses. Her name is Dr. Nancy Nicholson. I am going to sit with her this summer at some shows and learn from her.

Koni
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:56 PM
You can't get anyone better to learn from than Nancy Nicholson. . I would rather have her as a judge than some of the higher ups.

MassageLady
Mar. 5, 2010, 07:07 PM
thanks, and Nancy will appreciate that too! I work on Rosie (equine massage)and she is just an amazing horse! you can't say the 'p' word (piaffe)or she will do it! :lol: You can see me and Nancy working on her on my site.

Sonesta
Mar. 5, 2010, 07:08 PM
I audited the L program a couple of years ago. It was wonderful. Taught by Jeff Moore, Janet Foy and ......forgetting the last one now. But I learned a ton and recommend it to anyone competing or coaching.

Capriole
Mar. 7, 2010, 04:03 PM
I think it's an outstanding program and recommend auditing to anyone who competes.