PDA

View Full Version : now that's jumping a ditch!

bigbaytb
Mar. 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
Wow, I'm never going to complain about any ditch on course at an event.... check out picure 15 and 16 on the following link:

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/index.php?mact=Album,m4,default,1&m4albumid=60&m4returnid=53&page=53
(SHOULD SAY TYNOGH 2010)

Now that's how to learn to jump a ditch :eek:

Try this: Click on the sight and click one of the pictures to enlarge. Under the picture, it will have something like "1 of 155" and a ">>". Click the >> to scroll through the pictures.

OOPS, I JUST CORRECTED THE LINK! NOW IT SHOULD WORK! DUH..NOT ENOUGH CAFFEINE TO BE COTHING EITHER LOL.

deltawave
Mar. 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
Couldn't find it. Not enough caffeine yet. :)

kookicat
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:03 AM
Me either. I can imagine though!

ottb
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:03 AM
I avoid caffeine as a rule and couldn't find it either.

mademoiselle
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:08 AM
I tried really hard but I didn't find it either

saje
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:11 AM
I don't see any numbered pictures... ??

awm
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:36 AM
I found the pix BBTB is talking about on the Hunting forum!

Several riders are jumping a big drain (ditch) in great form!

It's amazing how easy those ditches are, when your horse
does the job & you can LET him do it!!!!!!!!!!

Been there & done it!

Mags
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:40 AM
Which photo do you enlarge. On the link there's a big house, pinto jumping and a group standing in the water. Are you talking about the youtube link?

PnkPanthr
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:48 AM
http://eastgalwayhunt.com/index.php?mact=Album,m4,default,1&m4albumid=60&m4returnid=53&page=53

I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is talking about. Its a grey jumping over the ditch.

bigbaytb
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:53 AM
FIXED IT IN THE OP, BUT PNKPNTHR IS CORRCT

BestHorses
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:04 AM
That doesn't bother me so much. I bet horses would rather negotiate that than the revetted and painted ditches at events. It looks natural to a horse and has sloping sides so a horse could choose to go farther down into it instead of jumping the whole thing. What scares me more are the stones walls with random rocks jutting out of the ground on the landing side.

eponacowgirl
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
Fifth row down, just click a pic and then hit "next" and click to see some ditch jumping amazingness!

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:52 AM
That doesn't bother me so much. I bet horses would rather negotiate that than the revetted and painted ditches at events. It looks natural to a horse and has sloping sides so a horse could choose to go farther down into it instead of jumping the whole thing. What scares me more are the stones walls with random rocks jutting out of the ground on the landing side.

I agree...I've jumped ditches/ravins like that before (there is usually a little stream of muck in the bottom of it). You just float the reins and grab mane and let the horse pick when it wants to leave the ground. Hate to admit it.....I've seen bigger looking ditches on training level courses before that were revetted (but they probably techinally were not bigger)....yuck... If you want to scare yourself...spread allowed for a ditch at training level is almost 8'..advanced gets to almost 12'.

bigbaytb
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:03 AM
I hunt too..I haven't quite been presented with ditches that deep, but my horse has taken up to jumping the streams and wider ditches. I never know if he's going to jump or go through the creeks. My horse will jump it if it's really mucky out (and i'm grabbing mane big time)..if dry, he just goes through it.....

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:12 AM
I hunt too..I haven't quite been presented with ditches that deep, but my horse has taken up to jumping the streams and wider ditches. I never know if he's going to jump or go through the creeks. My horse will jump it if it's really mucky out (and i'm grabbing mane big time)..if dry, he just goes through it.....

Yeah...that's almost worse.....or when they start doing those dacing steps and crouching down...and you just know a big launch is coming but not exactly when! It does make you better on waiting for they to jump doesn't it:D

bigbaytb
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah...that's almost worse.....or when they start doing those dacing steps and crouching down...and you just know a big launch is coming but not exactly when! It does make you better on waiting for they to jump doesn't it:D

i know what you mean, but he doesn't do the dancing steps..at least if he did I'd know the launch was coming. nope, he just peridically decides when he'll jump the entire fricking thing. i do have to say, he's more likely going to jump big at the beginning than when he's tired...but there's always exceptions to the rules :winkgrin: anything to make me look like an idoit.

CanTango1
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:10 PM
I think it actually looks really fun, and it looks to ride nice too. Those horses are so honest as long as the rider just stays on the horse your going to make it over... Now my horse on the other hand...hahaha

Little Valkyrie
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:48 PM
Yep, my mare will jump anything natural, the hairier the better, but once it has rivets and grey gravel at the bottom its a no-go :lol:

I've never hunted in Ireland, but I went to England a few years ago and the lady I borrowed a horse from looked very seriously at me and said "now, if you see a ditch HEELS DOWN." Apparently that mare jumped sky high over a ditch.... good thing it didn't happen :D

blazing saddles
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
for anyone that can't find the pics

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/uploads/images/Tynagh%202010/Tynagh%202010%20033_20.JPG

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/uploads/images/Tynagh%202010/Tynagh%202010%20030_18.JPG

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/uploads/images/Tynagh%202010/Tynagh%202010%20029_17.JPG

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/uploads/images/Tynagh%202010/Tynagh%202010%20025_15.JPG

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/uploads/images/Tynagh%202010/Tynagh%202010%20026_16.JPG

emaren
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:53 PM
Or how about #64 where the horse is jumping the stone wall and then right in the landing path is one of the big stones!!!

Looks like fun though on a seasoned horse.

katarine
Mar. 4, 2010, 02:07 PM
Oh look, I found one of me :)

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/uploads/images/Tynagh%202010/Tynagh%202010%20140_90.JPG

JK! But that is what I would look like, I so do not jump!! LOL

Great fun, thanks for sharing that link!!

deltawave
Mar. 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
I hate ditches as much as the next person, but I also think a big, natural ditch like that is probably no big deal--it MAKES SENSE to the horse, belongs there, and is easy to see and negotiate.

A random, rectangular revetted hole in the ground in the middle of a field, CLEARLY not natural, well, those are the kind I hate.

ellebeaux
Mar. 4, 2010, 02:45 PM
Oh look, I found one of me :)

http://eastgalwayhunt.com/uploads/images/Tynagh%202010/Tynagh%202010%20140_90.JPG

JK! But that is what I would look like, I so do not jump!! LOL

Great fun, thanks for sharing that link!!

hahaha, I saw that picture too! You know that person is getting that one framed ;)

I didn't like the footing after the stone wall, that looked like a nasty jump all around. I'm all for jumping in the field but that looked like potentially bad news.

IrishWillow
Mar. 4, 2010, 03:58 PM
Too funny. Thats hunting for you though :)

mugsgame
Mar. 5, 2010, 03:57 PM
This is the local hunt around me. This is my mother jumping on my old horse.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/galleries/v/Hunting/weston-banwell/_F7W1965.jpg.html

My current eventer had real issues jumping into water its no wonder as these are our field boundaries!

Sdhaurmsmom
Mar. 5, 2010, 06:10 PM
Photos 83 and 84, then 85, show a very wide range of...outcomes.:eek:

LittleMissCan'tBeWrong
Mar. 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
IF you had a nice willing horse that ditch looks like a lot of fun, i have actually wanted to go hunting for a while now....however my snotty little ditchy mare will mostly willingly jump ditches on a xc course all day long but take her out on the trails to a natural ditch or stream...not a chance of getting her over it :rolleyes:lol silly mare

gypsymare
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:40 PM
20 horses thundering past you over the ditch and the likelihood of getting left behind is great incentive for any horse!

Last spring I could barely get my horse to jump a 12" diameter log on the ground in a perfectly manicured field. She'd jump 3' in the arena easily. After one season of hunting she's jumping ditches and 3' coops uphill in mud without a moment's hesitation. Trying to hold them back results in more of a fit than letting them follow their hunt buddies.

Brooke
Mar. 6, 2010, 12:40 PM
I hunted for a season in Ireland a long time ago. Outside of Dublin - don't remember the name of the hunt. But ditches and very high hedges divided the farmer's fields. The first time I came up onto one of those ditches, I truly believed there was no way a horse could jump it. It was easily 12 - 15 feet across. I was on a green horse who had never seen one either. We were both agasted! He stopped, I prayed he wouldn't get any braver, and then Tommy Brennan came charging up behind me hollering, "Come on - follow me" and whoosed by right close to me. I felt the horse squat down, dance around, I closed my eyes (really) grabbed mane and waited. We made it, and managed to make all the rest of those huge man-and-horse-eaters. There were a lot of people who wound up down in the bottom of one of those ditches over the season. It was quite an experience. And I still hate big ditches.

Gryhrs
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:06 AM
Great Pics!! Now that's a ditch!! We have a video tape from Ireland called
"jumping the Irish banks" or something like that. It shows horses and riders on a hunt negotiating these unreal ditch (actually more like caverns) ... giant steep banks....ginormous ditch combinations. If you can find the video -it is worth it!! Also shows the training of a greenie over the ditches.

It would take alot of Irish whiskey to get me to attempt it!!

jen-s
Mar. 7, 2010, 10:56 PM
I felt the horse squat down, dance around, I closed my eyes (really) grabbed mane and waited. We made it, and managed to make all the rest of those huge man-and-horse-eaters.

Yes. This. Especially the "closed my eyes" but I'll also add in a quick, "Oh, please God don't let me die/splat/face plant/lawndart/etc. Please, please, please, puhLEASEEEEEEEE."