PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Menfelt?

lionstigersbears
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:00 AM
Just curious... I did many starter trials there and I think it closed the season after I stopped eventing (I'm thinking around 2005/2006? correct me if I'm wrong). Do they still use the facility for anything? Is it privately owned? Totally gone? I tried to google it, but the website redirects to a carpet cleaning service or something.

LisaB
Mar. 4, 2010, 06:27 AM
1 word:
divorce

Catalina
Mar. 4, 2010, 06:49 AM
It was split in half. The barn, Woodvale, is still there and operated by the husband. The wife got the XC portion and the last I heard, it was sold and being developed :(. This happened in late 2005.

Ltc4h
Mar. 4, 2010, 08:27 AM
Yes Divorce.
But, Do say Hi and give a big Hug to Dale she normally runs the X-Country start at Loch Moy. Most of the coarse there are the Menfelt jumps and if you look real close at the tractors.
The front side is Woodvale and is back to it's original boarding training status. Fred Weber still trains out of there.

KateDB
Mar. 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
"The wife got the XC portion and the last I heard, it was sold and being developed"

This is not true. The 'wife' did not get the XC portion to develop and did not subsequently develop it.

Catalina
Mar. 11, 2010, 07:01 AM
I heard that it had been sold and there were homes going up. I haven't been by there since the XC course closed in the fall of 2006 (I was one of the last ones to school there), but I my farrier drove by and saw homes going up and also a friend who boarded at Woodlands said that it was being developed. I would love to be wrong :D because I hate to see prime horse land get McMansions on it.

KateDB
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:38 PM
I will not dispute that there are houses there, my point is that "the wife" did not develop it nor sell it for development. A huge distinction....

lstevenson
Mar. 12, 2010, 08:42 PM
So sad. :no: I loved that place. What a waste.

Catalina
Mar. 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
I will not dispute that there are houses there, my point is that "the wife" did not develop it nor sell it for development. A huge distinction....

Rereading my original post, it appears that I did not in any way, shape or form state or even imply that she had intended it for development:

and the last I heard, it was sold and being developed

were my exact words. :sigh:

And I am apologize if you took offense to my vagueness with "the wife". I didn't feel it was my place to out DC or M. Sorry about that :(.

Rallycairn
May. 5, 2010, 08:08 PM
This is SO SAD. Dale is so nice (don't recall meeting M).

DH and I xc jump judged there in the early 2000's for the unrecognized trials ... Dale was/is wonderful and it was a really, really nice bunch of competitors. I have a distinct memory of a young girl in tears ("he never does this!" she sobbed) who couldn't get her horse across a ditch I was judging. After she had the three refusals I offered to give her a little help across and horsey popped over with just a little wave and a cluck from behind and they were on their way again, tears drying like magic!

Really sorry Menfelt is gone.

Tazzie
May. 5, 2010, 08:23 PM
For those of you that loved Dale, as I do, she is an active volunteer at The Maryland Horse Trials @ Loch Moy Farm. She is there for almost all of the shows there, recognized and non-recognized. Dale really & truly is one of the most amazing women that I've ever met!