PDA

View Full Version : XC Saddles for the Wide Horse

eventingismylife
Mar. 3, 2010, 03:18 PM
So here is yet another thread dedicated to saddles. ;)
I bought a new "pony" a few weekends ago and I dont have a xc saddle that fits her. I rode her in a friends 36cm Prestige Eventer that fit her (my mare) very nicely, but the flap wasnt forward enough for my long legs (5'9" with ubber long leggs, its really hard to find saddles). The only saddle that fits me very nicely is a Stubben Roxanne with the extra forward flap- but the only come up to a 34cm.The "research" I have done on the fit of the two saddles is that Prestige's saddle trees run smaller. This is what I have gotten from most dealers: "For tree sizes, 33cm and 34cm are considered "medium". For a saddle that will be used on a variety of horses, 34cm seems to fit most horses very well. 32cm usually fits horses with withers and a medium to narrow back (the typical Thoroughbred type horse) well. Horses that need a 31cm tree or narrower are very uncommon. 35cm is considered "wide". 36cm and 37cm are "extra wide". Does anyone have any experience with both of these brands regarding how the trees fit? I am kinda at a loss for what kind of saddle to get that will fit us both without going completely custom!

asterix
Mar. 3, 2010, 03:51 PM
I specialize in "wide" horses :D
They do have withers, though, and BIG shoulders -- not roly poly round tops...

Both of mine (thank god) go in a County Conquest wide with skid row panels (gives them room for their shoulders). I got it with an extra inch on the flap for my legs, which are long for my size (it's a 16 1/2).

I don't have experience with either the Prestige or the Stubben, sorry! (I tried a stubben at one point but they didn't seem shaped right at all for my ponies...)

eventingismylife
Mar. 3, 2010, 08:57 PM
I specialize in "wide" horses :D
They do have withers, though, and BIG shoulders -- not roly poly round tops...

Both of mine (thank god) go in a County Conquest wide with skid row panels (gives them room for their shoulders). I got it with an extra inch on the flap for my legs, which are long for my size (it's a 16 1/2).

I don't have experience with either the Prestige or the Stubben, sorry! (I tried a stubben at one point but they didn't seem shaped right at all for my ponies...)

Thanks! Yes, my mare also has very nice withers but she is just a big girl :winkgrin:

nightmoves
Mar. 3, 2010, 09:00 PM
Black Country has a plethora of options for fitting all types of horses and Trumbull Mountain carries the Black Country.

IrishWillow
Mar. 4, 2010, 04:13 PM
I have two wide mares.. I was advised to look at M.Toulouse saddles since they come in wide and extra wide.

Brigitte
Mar. 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
I second Black Country for the xtra wides. Brigitte is massive and after trying everything else, I tried Trumbull Mountain and Black Country.

They should be able to steer you to the best models for your long legs.

SharkFinn
Mar. 4, 2010, 08:35 PM
i have a big wide appendix and ride in a 36cm Thornhill Germania 2-phase. i love the saddle, very nice forward flap (im 5'8" with long legs), nice deep seat. they arent super expensive either so thats always a plus.

Little Valkyrie
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:00 PM
Going to third the Black Country. I have the Quantum X which is on a U-shaped tree as opposed to an A-shaped tree, which 90% of saddes are (even so-called W and XW saddles). I love this saddle and couldn't be happier with Trumbull Mountain's services.