PDA

View Full Version : 1898 description of eventing

Carol Ames
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.militaryhorse.org/features/dimarco/team1.php

questrian competitions is the three day event. Eventing has traditionally been the US’s strongest competition. It is specifically designed to be a grueling test of the all- around horse and rider, and is patterned after the rigorous requirements expected of a premium military mount. The competition consists of three phases, each conducted on a different day, hence the name three day eventing. Phase one is dressage, conducted similarly to the dressage competition, it makes up 20% of the rider and mount’s total score. Phase two is the cross country and obstacle course, consisting of 20 to 30 kilometers of steeple chase, then a shorter cross country gallop, and ending with an obstacle course over up to thirty very imposing natural and man-made obstacles of all types. This phase is the most challenging, and it accounts for the majority of the three day event score. The three day event ends with stadium jumping. It is conducted in a manner similar to the jumping competition, but is designed primarily to test the horse’s soundness after the challenging cross country phase.

Carol Ames
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:29 PM
treading the article abouty he Army remount program and early days of the USET, I am reminded that as a child, I lamented :sadsmile::cry:the disbanding of the US cavalry; but, now as an adult , very aware of my own mortality :eek:, I am very glad that horses are no longer used as :cannon fodder:eek:" softening up machine gun :mad:nests for an advancing infantry hidden behind the horses;)

Carol Ames
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
reading the article about the Army remount program and early days of the USET, I am reminded that as a child, I lamented :sadsmile::cry:the disbanding of the US cavalry; but, now as an adult , very aware of my own mortality :eek:, I am very glad that horses are no longer used as :cannon fodder:eek:" softening up machine gun :mad:nests for an advancing infantry hidden behind the horses;)

Carol Ames
Mar. 2, 2010, 08:52 PM
There is a wonderful picture of Jenny Camp;http://www.sport-horse-breeder.com/gordon-russell.html

I can't [post :sadsmile:so, . if someone else ;)could, I'm sure it would be appreciated

scroll down to see picture of her jumping!:cool: