PDA

View Full Version : "on course with" __= education

Carol Ames
Mar. 2, 2010, 02:47 PM
I found this morning an old, 1976 USCTA News"and read the "On course with" feature" by Mike Plumb; beading up to my first three day, old format;
much of my XC knowledge/ experience came from these articles; I "rode" Bromont Olympics, :Ledyard, Blue Ridge and either Badminton or /Burghley ; as well as other comparable courses there was always a sketch of the fence, topography, trees and all, as well as a picture/ photo I recall Mike describing the difficulty/ intricacy of certain jumps always concluding with "my horse jumped it well and galloped away:cool:; reading one of those before going to bed, made sleep difficult:lol:, my P& R were always elevated :winkgrin:at that point:o

RiverBendPol
Mar. 2, 2010, 04:42 PM
Carol-
When I had "given up horses" in the late 70's-late 80's, I had all the Practical Horseman and USCTA magazines I could possibly read. I had tiny children and babies but got my horsey-fix late at night in the rocking chair, an infant in the lap, reading every word of those mags. I agree, it did raise the P&R and did not induce sleep. Such great articles. I especially loved reading about Torrance and Poltroon....

pony grandma
Mar. 2, 2010, 05:31 PM
"Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies" Hear, hear!

I recall well walking the cross country at Rolex one year and seeing an older woman, my age, standing at the ropes in tears. Tears flowing down her face. I offered up some comfort by asking her "didn't get your belly full before it got too late?" "No" she lamented, "I just discovered this sport! I wish that I had known about it when I was younger."

My heart races and I am exhausted after every video round of cross country. I'm still in the saddle mentally! :yes:

I have saved all of those old copies of USCTA and PH, they are treasures.