PDA

View Full Version : Eventing barns in Northern CA/Bay Area?

Jumpthemoon16
Mar. 2, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm a 15 year old Eventing rider in Northern CA. I have competed at BN level, schooled Training. I don't own a horse but I have leased multiple horses.

My old trainer just announced without warning that she is moving away, and not taking students, lease horses or lesson horses with her. I had been about to begin a lease on a horse that belonged to the University [I ride at Stanford], and I really loved him and he was definitely the horse that I need right now as far as my competing goes. I wouldn't be able to lease him if I was not in lessons.

So, I was wondering if any of you know of good Eventing trainers who might be able to come to Stanford, currently train at Stanford [I don't think there are any], or are in the area with good quality, sane lesson or lease horses. I would prefer that they compete regularly with a good facility.

Thanks!

mjrtango93
Mar. 2, 2010, 05:16 PM
Well if you are willing to go outside of Stanford, Portola Valley training is near you, so that would be Beth and Andrew Tempkin. I believe the have a lesson horse or so. Heigi McCrae also used to be there, not sure now. I am assuming your trainer was Meg Finn as she is the only one I know that was at Stanford, so obviously that wouldn't work. Also Liz Hall is at the Horsepark, I know she has some schoolies. As for others it might be more driving, and since your 15 not sure what range you can do (or talk your parents into).

Jumpthemoon16
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:33 PM
Well if you are willing to go outside of Stanford, Portola Valley training is near you, so that would be Beth and Andrew Tempkin. I believe the have a lesson horse or so. Heigi McCrae also used to be there, not sure now. I am assuming your trainer was Meg Finn as she is the only one I know that was at Stanford, so obviously that wouldn't work. Also Liz Hall is at the Horsepark, I know she has some schoolies. As for others it might be more driving, and since your 15 not sure what range you can do (or talk your parents into).
Thank you, I couldn't find the PVTC ones, but I saw Liz Hall at the Horsepark. Do you know of anything about this place: http://www.mcraestables.com/index.html in Santa Cruz?

wanderlust
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:42 PM
Check your PT's.

JumpingBug
Mar. 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
IN this area you have some choices.

You could lease something at Stanford and ride with Rachel and jumping trainer and then haul to park to ride with one of MANY trainers who work or come into park.

I know the following trainers give lessons at the park and one off clinic lessons or some may have packages. If you need a contact for anyone below let me know. Local folks coordinate the Brian, Judy and Gina lessons.

Brian Sabo (drives up from So-cal 1 time per month)
Judy Klus (come in from Oregon 1 time per month)
Gina Miles Drives up about 1 time per month
Bec Braitling drives up about 1 time a month
Liz Hall local
Ellen Hill local
Beth Tempkin local (see her at park all the time as she ride at barn next door)
Paula Wong local
and many many more

ALSO Many other trainers haul in for day schooling when XC is open such as Flying Tail, Valoche, Chocolate Horse, Matt Brown, etc etc. YOU just call them up and see if they can add you on the day you want to school.

Sorry to hear anyone wrapping it up and leaving but the reality is YOU DO not have to ride with a eventing instructor. You can find great dressage and jumping at the Red Barn and join lessons or schools for XC and then meet up with barns at events. Many folks do that all over the country. I even think Brian Sabo may visit Red Barn.
caution
A word of caution but you probably already know this. You will hear GOOD and BAD about everyone from the small time trainers all the way to the olympic big time trainers (hell just read through the threads on this board) Before I would buy into much propaganda I would chat with those trainers or instructors and then watch them teach. Take a introductory lesson, nothing says you have to continue if you do not feel they are what your looking for. Point is EVERYONE has a opinion weather it be factually based or word of mouth gossip and your better off doing your own Due Diligence in finding the right person in this dog eat dog world. Spend some one on one time. GOOD LUCK

TheBrownHorse
Mar. 2, 2010, 09:42 PM
Such a long shot, but my first horse (his name was "Red" though they changed it I think when they bought him) was boarding at Stanford (with MF). Do you know him?! I would love to hear how he's doing.

There are a lot of good trainers in your area, as have been suggested by some other members. It's so nice that you have Woodside as close as you do!

mjrtango93
Mar. 3, 2010, 09:30 AM
Thank you, I couldn't find the PVTC ones, but I saw Liz Hall at the Horsepark. Do you know of anything about this place: http://www.mcraestables.com/index.html in Santa Cruz?

That McRae stables is the Heidi that was at PVTC, she must have gone out on her own. As for the Temkin's the number listed on BayEquest is 650-854-9099, may be worth a call if your interested. I am assuming clinicing at the Horsepark is out since you need a horse, otherwise like others have said there is someone there just about every weekend.

Jumpthemoon16
Mar. 3, 2010, 01:24 PM
Such a long shot, but my first horse (his name was "Red" though they changed it I think when they bought him) was boarding at Stanford (with MF). Do you know him?! I would love to hear how he's doing.

There are a lot of good trainers in your area, as have been suggested by some other members. It's so nice that you have Woodside as close as you do!

Older chestnut TB gelding?

Yep, his name is Chance now, and I've even ridden him a few times :] He's now owned by a 12 year old girl named Charlotte, who does PC and wants to Event him soon. He's doing well, but I don't know what trainer or barn she's going to take him too after Meg leaves.

I don't know if you can post pictures on here, but I have some recent ones of him..

jenm
Mar. 3, 2010, 03:22 PM
Yep, his name is Chance now, and I've even ridden him a few times :] He's now owned by a 12 year old girl named Charlotte, who does PC and wants to Event him soon. He's doing well, but I don't know what trainer or barn she's going to take him too after Meg leaves.

Minor detail, but his new owner's name is Caroline. :)

He's a really sweet guy and is indeed doing well and Caroline loves him to pieces!

Jumpthemoon, I am sending you a PM.

Jumpthemoon16
Mar. 3, 2010, 03:57 PM
Minor detail, but his new owner's name is Caroline. :)

He's a really sweet guy and is indeed doing well and Caroline loves him to pieces!

Jumpthemoon, I am sending you a PM.

Oops, sorry, blonde moment!