PDA

View Full Version : Jan Byyny and Rebecca Howard- Falls at Pine Top

atleventer
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:04 AM
Anyone have word on how they're doing? I know they both had pretty bad falls yesterday on XC... Hoping for the best, as they both have some REALLY nice upper level goals this spring!

katjumpr9
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:25 AM
I heard Rebecca broke her collar bone, some ribs, and punctures her lung. I think she is doing alright though. Whats the word on Jan? Anyone know anything?

quietann
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:27 AM
Ouch! I hope they both heal quickly. R's accident sounds exactly like mine (fell off, landed on point of shoulder, same injuries), and it was a b***h.

fanfayre
Mar. 1, 2010, 01:37 PM
Oh, dear!!!:( Get well soon wishes to Rebecca, since she's due to come back up here to teach one of our clinics.

kcrubin
Mar. 1, 2010, 07:04 PM
From Sinead Halpin's blog:

"Yesterday at 4:15 Rebecca endured what most event riders fear most, a rotational fall. The fence was a nasty upright at the end of the course. The fence was set at a funny angle and blended into the surrounding boards. Rocky is a horse that Rebecca was 3 on at the Fairhill CCI** in the fall so is quite experienced. Rocky didnt see the jump until it was too late.

Rebecca suffered multiple broken ribs,both clavicles are fractured in several places and she has a mild punctured lung. We airlifted her from McDuffy Hospital in Thomson to Charlotte,NC. She is currently in ICU but will hopefully be moved soon.

She is classic Rebec and worrying about students,horses and upset about worring people! As usual she is putting on a strong face and cracking jokes but this will be a long painful recovery. My mom and Jim are with her in Charlotte and her mother Mary is on a plane now and will be here tonight. Rocky got up quickly and has not a scratch on him..." Read more

I haven't heard anything definitive on Jan Byyny, but the vague reports/rumors suggest that she was unconscious for some short time after her fall and the head trauma might be more of a concern than the broken wrist/ribs.

As mentioned in our Pine Top report, both Jan and Rebecca received the best possible medical care from the first moments of their falls, and all of Eventing Nation wishes them a speedy recovery. Please keep Jan and Rebecca in your prayers and send your well-wishes to Jan's FB and Rebecca's FB.

quietann
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
ouch. Both clavicles? I only broke one (along with 5 ribs). It hurt to breathe, so much that I would occasionally choose to take a rest from breathing for 10 or 15 seconds, and set off the breathing monitor in the ICU. Eventually the nurses showed us how to reset it.

Ouch ouch ouch! I'm sure Rebecca is one tough lady, though.

2horseowner
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:00 AM
What a terrible fall for such nice riders. Just out of curiosity, was Rebecca or Jan wearing the Point Two air vest? Would she have had such bad injuries if she had been wearing it or the Woof EXO? A nasty fall can happen at any level, and I need a new vest, so I'm trying to decide what direction to take. Hope both riders get better soon!

jpalisades
Mar. 2, 2010, 10:10 AM
Sounds like an idea for another study....

Rider falls, their injuries, type of fall, and which vest they were wearing (and what level of the standard that vest was marked to meet)!

Besides the above. I wish Jan and Rebecca the best for recovery! I know from exp. those injuries are not fun in any way and very painful. Hang in there ladies, you are both tough;)

RAyers
Mar. 2, 2010, 10:59 AM
Jan's injury was a head injury (according to some students of hers) so the vest does not really come into play.

JER
Mar. 2, 2010, 11:08 AM
A nasty fall can happen at any level, and I need a new vest, so I'm trying to decide what direction to take.

Be aware that the air jacket is to be worn over a conventional vest. That's what the rules require in the UK but I'm not sure how the US is handling this.

The manufacturer's website (http://www.point-two.co.uk/equine/faqs.html) says:

The Point Two air jackets are currently not BETA approved. They have been designed as a top up protection system to wear along side a BETA or European standard approved body protector.

So if you need a new vest and want to rock the air jacket, you are looking at purchasing two new body protectors.

You might want to ask the manufacturer about testing and other metrics. There's nothing on their website. You might also want to take a look at this thread (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4887813/page/5/fpart/1/vc/1) from the Horse & Hound forum before buying 'safety' products from this company.

2horseowner
Mar. 2, 2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks JER for the interesting thread post from the UK. There will always be pros and cons w/ any of the body protectors. I wish I could make up my mind. Buying the P2 and body protector seems $$$$. I'll keep on researching.

juststartingout
Mar. 2, 2010, 11:34 AM
Wishing a quick recovery to all injured riders.

Interested in if anyone looked at this air vest:

http://www.air-vest.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=airvest&Product_Code=LV&Category_Code=Hit-Air-Equestrian

CookiePony
Mar. 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
Jan and Rebecca-- there are people out here who are thinking about you a lot and sending many, many healing thoughts.

VicariousRider
Mar. 2, 2010, 05:49 PM
Oh my. I just read the afternoon post from Eventing Nation (http://www.eventingnation.com/home/) and I am so concerned for Jan! Sending jingles for a speedy recovery! So scary!

If anyone has any news please share.

FoxChaser
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
Many healing thoughts to you both, Jan & Rebecca. I agree with VicariousRider- very scary indeed. Hang in there Jan!!

Equa
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:43 PM
Hey, juststartingout - would you really buy an airbag vest from a company which illustrated it's wonderful attributes with a video of a cowboy without a safety helmet?
I mean....derrrrrr......!!!!?????

ACMEeventing
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Rebecca and Jan from North Carolina

gooddirt
Mar. 2, 2010, 08:19 PM
https://www.mcghealth.org/patient-and-visitor-guide/McgContentPage.aspx?nd=677

Jan Byyny
Room Number: 3423

ss3777
Mar. 2, 2010, 08:28 PM
jingles from NY for the Jan and Rebecca!!

RunForIt
Mar. 2, 2010, 09:23 PM
https://www.mcghealth.org/patient-and-visitor-guide/McgContentPage.aspx?nd=677

Jan Byyny
Room Number: 3423

Thanks, Glenn - as always, you come through in the best ways.

LavenderFarm
Mar. 2, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thank you, gooddirt, for the link. Message sent to Jan. Super wishes for both riders for complete and speedy recoveries.

Carol Ames
Mar. 2, 2010, 09:53 PM
ounds like an idea for another study....

Rider falls, their injuries, type of fall, and which vest they were wearing (and what level of the standard that vest was marked to meet)!

Carol Ames
Mar. 2, 2010, 10:08 PM
II hope they can both take the time they need to heal as much as possible; while I agree that caring for our horses is the best therapy:yes:; punctured lung and tbi are nothing to ignore :no:Shoot; my punctured lung fully reinflated only after extensive respiratory therapy, over ten years:eek: after the initial injury; of course , I was :in a hurry":eek:" to get back to riding the first ATC was coming up; it never occurred to me that my horse T Byrd:lol: who, also fell. might need some time off, too.:no:

last laugh
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:30 AM
Just bumping this up. I used to ride w/ Jan's mom back in the day and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about how she is doing. Having suffered a pretty sever concussion in the past, even that can set you back for a bit. Hoping for the best...

saje
Mar. 4, 2010, 11:36 AM
http://useventing.com/competitions.php?id=2279

Update on Jan Byyny
Updated: 2010-03-04
Dr. And Mrs. Richard Byyny have released the following statement on the progress of their daughter Jan Byyny. The USEA sends all best wishes to the Byyny family and especially to Jan.

Jo and I, Jan's mother and father, want to update everyone on her condition.
Jan had a serious fall at Pinetop Horse Trials on February 28, was unconscious for about two minutes and suffered multiple contusions and a fractured right forearm. She was transported to the hospital in Augusta for evaluation and care.
She is still hospitalized, but is stable, alert, oriented and walking. Her horse, Jack, is fine.
Many have been concerned about Jan and she greatly appreciates all of your thoughts and prayers. We will try to keep you informed about her progress as things develop. She knows many of you care about her and wish her the best and we all thank you for your concern and support.
Cards can be sent to Surefire Farm, 20490 St. Louis Rd., Purcellville, VA 20132 and we'll make sure she gets them.

poltroon
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:38 PM
I am so glad to hear she is up and about!

last laugh
Mar. 4, 2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that she's alert and able to be moving around a bit.... I hope she recovers soon.

jumpfan
Mar. 6, 2010, 02:39 AM
Karen O ┬┤Connor fell once again (also Pine Top), Speedy recovery to Rebecca, Jan and Karen. How many falls had Karen within her career? Astonishing.

WishIWereRiding
Mar. 6, 2010, 06:59 AM
Karen O ┬┤Connor fell once again (also Pine Top), Speedy recovery to Rebecca, Jan and Karen. How many falls had Karen within her career? Astonishing.

What is your point? That Karen has fallen a lot? If you ride a lot of horses, it's going to happen! Haven't you ever fallen?

pwynnnorman
Mar. 6, 2010, 07:07 PM
Not long ago, I mentioned to Karen that I was looking at back surgery and grumbled that I couldn't understand how she (and other eventers) seem to get away with not having back problems. I don't actually remember how she responded, but I was already thinking to myself about how fit and flexible they are, and how an experienced rider like Karen knows how to fall, probably without even thinking about it. Probably on the way down they're already saying in their subconscious, "Oh, hell. Here comes the ground again...sigh."

We mortals don't merely (and figuratively) "sigh" on the way down. Gotta make a big difference. ;)

foxhavenfarm
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
Probably on the way down they're already saying in their subconscious, "Oh, hell. Here comes the ground again...sigh."

We mortals don't merely (and figuratively) "sigh" on the way down. Gotta make a big difference. ;)

:lol::lol::lol: That just made my day! Thanks Wynn!

EightBelles134
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:32 PM
here's hoping Rebecca and Jan have a speedy recovery

asterix
Mar. 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
I too hope that both of them recover as quickly and pain-free as possible.

I also agree with pywnn's observation. I suspect that makes a bigger difference than we know.
One minor personal anecdote -- I had a freak rotational fall with my young horse last Dec. in the ring; jumping a simple vertical, asked (incorrectly, of course) for a long spot, he hesitated, overruled me, but then forgot to pick his front feet up, tangled in the pole, and over he went.

I was shot off like a lawn dart...but in the air, all I was thinking about was my horse. I knew he was flipping, and was focused on him. I landed so relaxed, soft, limp, that I sort of slid across the arena on my belly like a penguin. I was totally fine. Luckily pony was also unharmed (physically -- took us both a while to regain our sj mojo!). I think had I been "oh s***, I'm falling," I would certainly have been injured.

Not sure how we can help regular folks like me be "relaxed" or "distracted" while falling (besides the extreme measure of flipping their horses over), but I bet it would reduce injury.

THis is actually irrelevant for this thread since both women certainly had abundant experience at the level, but....

RunForIt
Mar. 7, 2010, 06:55 AM
My thoughts about these particular two women are that I pray their recoveries go well and go quickly - the hardest part of recovery when you are accustomed to being very active, is the sudden and on-going limitations in your physical activity. I hope Rebecca's and Jan's friends and family are as good about keeping their spirits up as mine have been with my broken neck (which is doing marvelously, BTW :D )

Falls happen with horses, even with top riders on horses that they have trained to the best of their abilities. We aren't machines and neither are horses. I've watched video after video of the XC rounds at PTF last weekend for all levels - many were stellar, textbook rides, some sucked - same courses. Such is sport. Unfortunately, as fun as it is, eventing is a sport with high physical risks to us and to our equine partners. It seems so easy so often that I think when accidents happen we are completely surprised. It must be the course, it must be the weather, it must be faulty judgement on someone's part. No, it's us, we choose to ride, we choose the events, we know course designers, we pay the $$$ for entry fees. We simply have to also choose to shoulder responsibility for those decisions and not lay blame on others when things go awry...

So, let's keep Rebecca and Jan in our thoughts, send them emails and notes, and cheer like crazy when we see them making XC look so easy again...cause we know its not.

Carol Ames
Mar. 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
How many fences has she jumped?
I once estimated (guesstimated) c. 1300:eek:; She was eventing before I even started:o

how many fences?How many falls had Karen within her career? Astonishing.