PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean my Mattes sheepskin halfpad?

oxeventer36xo
Feb. 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
I bought a Mattes sheepskin halfpad a couple months ago and now the black of my saddle is wearing on it, what is the best way to clean this pad. When i purchased it, a container of melp was included. What the heck is that stuff? :confused:

yellowbritches
Feb. 28, 2010, 01:23 PM
Read the instructions on the Melp and wash it with that. AIR DRY. Trust me. My horse has to have sheepskin against his skin, so I've learned, through trial and error, how to keep the stuff clean. Ruined a few expensive pads in the process. :no: Now I buy less expensive stuff. Less money. Same benefits. :yes:

ThreeFigs
Feb. 28, 2010, 01:37 PM
Leather Therapy wash, Melp or (my favorite) Eucalan Woolwash. Cold wash, delicate cycle. Air dry away from the sun or heat.

Some folks recommend Murphy's Oil Soap. I haven't tried it, but have used it on my tack, so it's probably a good bet, too.

oxeventer36xo
Feb. 28, 2010, 01:44 PM
do you just add the melp to the wash in place of a detergent?

ThreeFigs
Feb. 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
Yes. It's a wool/leather wash. Works on leather-seated breeches, too.

faybe
Feb. 28, 2010, 02:24 PM
Read the instructions on the Melp and wash it with that. AIR DRY. Trust me. My horse has to have sheepskin against his skin, so I've learned, through trial and error, how to keep the stuff clean. Ruined a few expensive pads in the process. :no: Now I buy less expensive stuff. Less money. Same benefits. :yes:

Definitely what yellowbritches said- air dry! Once it's mostly dry, I use a plastic bristle hair brush (of the dollar store variety) to "fluff" it, since it often dries matted and flattened. Combing it out makes it look almost like new.

eventingismylife
Feb. 28, 2010, 02:28 PM
Stick it in the washer with some Melp, and air dry. Once its dry "brush" the sheep skin to fluff it- like faybe said. Then you wont have any pressure spots created by the matting.

deltawave
Feb. 28, 2010, 04:33 PM
Woolite is fine, too, just use a little bit. Delicate cycle and air-drying are more important than the detergent. When dry, brush it out a little with a brush that won't snag. Shake it out, good to go.

WNT
Feb. 28, 2010, 05:43 PM
The little wire cat brushes work really well for fluffing flat post-wash fleece. They don't seem to snag much.

ACMEeventing
Feb. 28, 2010, 06:57 PM
Agree with above, except I put mine in the dryer on the "air only" cycle - no heat. It fluffs the heck out of it with no brushing required. :)

Drive NJ
Feb. 28, 2010, 06:57 PM
They use Woolite on sheep, so I'm guessing it will work on sheepskin as well.

ACMEeventing
Feb. 28, 2010, 07:00 PM
They use Woolite on sheep, so I'm guessing it will work on sheepskin as well.

Do the sheep go in the dryer on "air only" also? Prevents the need for brushing . . .

faybe
Mar. 1, 2010, 12:20 AM
Do the sheep go in the dryer on "air only" also? Prevents the need for brushing . . .

:D:D :D :D

LadyGodiva
Mar. 1, 2010, 06:28 AM
Another vote here for Woolite. It's worked wonderfully for me in the past! Leather Therapy Wash works as well. As others have said, always air dry.

horsecents
Mar. 1, 2010, 07:28 AM
Does it matter if your wash machine is front or top load?

retreadeventer
Mar. 1, 2010, 08:41 AM
I ALWAYS put my sheep on airdry.
:)
Melp! (Sounds like the noise they make in there, huh?)

mcorbett
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:54 AM
i was terrified to wash my mattes for the first time! Melp and air dry and it was as good as new!!

here's a question: i just bought leather and sheepskin open front boots at a consignment sale. the sheepskin is NOT detachable. How do I wash them?

ACMEeventing
Mar. 1, 2010, 10:17 AM

Actually, it's more like "meeeelp"

:winkgrin:

WNT
Mar. 1, 2010, 05:23 PM
Be careful using Woolite, I have seen pads destroyed from washing in Woolite. All otherwise taken care of the same way: cold wash, air dry, etc. Apparently Woolite is not designed to maintain the actual sheepskin (not the fleece, the skin) and it will eventually damage the skin which led to chunks of fleece coming off the skin.

I would stick with Melp or Leather Therapy or another product designed to keep the fleece and base sheepskin sound.

kashmere
Mar. 2, 2010, 02:05 PM
I would recommend hand washing unless you've got a front-load washing machine. If you use a top-load, the agitator can really mess up your pad.

sch1star
Mar. 2, 2010, 03:03 PM
I wash my Mattes with Melp or Leather Therapy, too, but wrt the marks the OP mentioned - from the saddle - mine haven't come out either. Maybe I'm not using enough? That "capful" thing always seems like so little...anyway, I finally gave in and bought a black one. Fixed! :winkgrin:

Fwiw, I've found that the most important thing is to leave enough time for it to dry. It takes forever to air dry. If I need it on Sat, it has to be washed by Thurs. I'm a procrastinator so I never have anything done well in advance and definitely have to plan for a pad that needs more than 24 hours to dry...

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 2, 2010, 03:27 PM
I wash mine in the wash, on normal cycle with regular soap on cold.

I have put it in the dryer on airdry only.

It's come out spick and span each time. Looks brand spankin' new and I've been doing this for 5 years or more.

cutemudhorse
Mar. 2, 2010, 04:55 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ThreeFigs
Mar. 2, 2010, 10:37 PM
Kashmere makes a good point. Front loaders are better. Some of my saddle pads have been mangled in top loaders. I have to patronize the local laundromat & use their lovely big front loaders. So far no one has chased me out!

ivy62
Mar. 3, 2010, 07:55 PM
I have a fleeceworks pad not a Mattes, will it hold up as well. I bought the leather therapy and am afraid to use it! I use a skinny little half pad under it to keep it clean. There are more marks from my saddle, it was new, will they come out too?

ThreeFigs
Mar. 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
Don't be afraid of the Leather Therapy! It is your friend.

Your Fleeceworks pad will survive laundering. Try applying a little Zout or Shout to stains.

It's only a saddle pad. You use it on a horse. It WILL get dirty!

cathypv
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have many Mattes pads - both the half pads and the full ones and they were bought used on Ebay. I even have one I found in the trash at the barn and it was very filthy, but I got it clean enough to use. We put them directly on our horses back with a light cotton pad on top of the Mattes half pads to protect the saddle. So they get really dirty from the horse's sweat and hair.

I have always just washed them with Woolite in my home top loading washer on a regular cycle with cold or lukewarm water. I use a soft scrub brush with Woolite diluted in water to scrub both the wool and the cotton parts of the pad. I find the wool cleans up really well - it releases the dirt easily with a little scrubbing. It is the cotton padding that is tough to get clean. For stubborn stains from mud or black boots, I have even resorted to scrubbing with diluted detergent with a little bleach in it. I have not had any problems with this but I wash the entire pad right away and give it a second rinse to get any chemicals out. I think these pads are very durable and are not as sensitive to washing as you would think. They just want to sell you the expensive Melp. The only weak point is the velcro straps which seem to unravel.

I always air dry the Mattes pads - we have extras so we always have a clean one. I just fluff them with my fingers; which works fine. After each ride you should let them dry fleece side up and when they are dry, brush the wool out with your mane & tail brush.

There are 2 qualities of Mattes pad - the Platinum type, which is real sheepskin with the wool on it, are by far superior. The lower quality type is called 100% Woolpile - it is wool woven into a mesh and it is not as soft and does not wear as well.