PDA

View Full Version : Specific boot question...what's your experience

sign of Grace
Feb. 28, 2010, 11:25 AM
I currently ride in Epics and have had very good luck with them as far as staying on and not rubbing. However due to my "4-wheeling" rocky adventures, I break hardware left and right and am constantly replacing buckles, screws, and wires. I even managed to break the buckle (not the new up-buckle, but old style) in half. That sucker is pretty thick metal! So, I was thinking about switching to Gloves with gaiters so I wouldn't have hardware issues.

Other than rubbing issues, anyone have thoughts/comments on Gloves staying on in extreme conditions? Those of you that use the extra colored fit tabs in the front, how are those holding up if pounded on by rocks?

Sorry for yet another boot question, but I appreciate others' experiences.

Painted Horse
Feb. 28, 2010, 11:46 AM
That's exactly what I've done.

Broke buckles, cables, tore gaiters and lost boots when I used the epics. Switched to the bares. and did better, No hardware to break. But I have broke a couple of the bungies.

So I switched to the gloves. I have had a couple come off and they tear the gaiter when they do. But other than that, They have held up pretty well.

If you are going to canter a lot or do a lot of laterial movements. Chasing cattle kind of stuff, You need to glue them on, the friction and gaiter just are not enough to keep them in place thru those aggressive movements.

That work just fine for people who do normal rides. I just don't ride in places like most folks. So I need something a little stronger.

Yesterdays ride
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2010/Chute/Chute-Canyon-024.gif

TBPNW
Feb. 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
Have used first pair of Gloves for about 3 or 4 uses, on fairly strenuous rides. I usually use Old Macs, sometimes Cavallo boots, but had been pretty happy with the Gloves so far. When booting them at an event, found one of the screws had broken. Luckily had brought a pair of Old Mac's that fit as well to use. I just washed them, did not notice it. Anyway, they stayed on very well, of course have less hardware to break, but mine apparently did.