PDA

View Full Version : Event barns/trainers near Williamsburg, VA?

piccolittle
Feb. 28, 2010, 06:11 AM
Hi guys,

I might be starting a Masters degree down at William & Mary in August, and I've been looking for a suitable place to keep my horse so we can get back into competing. Ideally, it would be a barn within 20 mins from Williamsburg, with a nice group of people who event often, and (dream of dreams) maybe the barn would have a few outdoor fences?

If there isn't such a place so close by, does anyone know of an event trainer in that area who is good with dressage stuff and wouldn't mind coaching at events?

I know that's all quite specific, but give me anything at all if you have any info!

LexInVA
Feb. 28, 2010, 08:01 AM
Campbell Springs (http://www.campbellspringsfarm.com/index.htm)

yellowbritches
Feb. 28, 2010, 08:10 AM
Lex apparently doesn't know his central VA geography. Campbell Springs is NOT even remotely 20 minutes from Williamsburg (multiply it by 5, give or take) ;)

We sent a client off to school down there a couple of years ago and hooked her up with Debbie Rodriquez. She is an excellent dressage trainer/rider/judge, but understands event horses (she is an eventing official), and I think she has a few students that event that she coaches some. She's very nice and I like her teaching style. I don't think she really has a facility that she works out of, so the best bet is to contact her and she what she suggests.

There may be another option, but I'd have to get details from another client (who used to live down there). I don't think there was any coaching to speak of where she was, but I want to say there was a small band of event riders. Don't know what the facilities were like.

There's not a lot down there, unfortunately. A couple of decent h/j barns and some dressage, but not much, if any kind of eventing. Good school, cool area, but that's about it!

LexInVA
Feb. 28, 2010, 08:32 AM
I put it up because that's as good as it gets down there for an Eventing barn and that's where Debbie works out of. Duh.

yellowbritches
Feb. 28, 2010, 08:44 AM
But Lex, Campbell Spring, while a nice facility, is not at all in the same area as W & M. Really. Debbie does teach out of there, but she travels there. CS is in Chesterfield, which is basically Richmond (I drove by EVERY DAY to get to the barn I boarded Neigh at when I still lived down there. This was before they turned into such a nice place). It is a good 90 minute from there to Williamsburg.

LexInVA
Feb. 28, 2010, 09:04 AM
It's just the way things are. Since she's going to be in a Master's program, at W&M no less, she won't have much time for competing or consistent training anyway so she can leave her horse in capable hands and work with the people there on the weekends as time permits while they work with her horse to get it into shape or whatever they work out. That's as good as it's gonna get for her given the lack of Eventing barns in that area. There's a handful of Dressage places, but none of them have what she needs for getting back into competition, which means she has to look outside the immediate area.

piccolittle
Feb. 28, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thank you both for your help! I have to admit, I've actually been fantasizing about that Campbell Springs place in case by some miracle I happen to get into UVA (haven't heard yet... but very unlikely!). It does look like a really cool place and I would definitely be happy to trailer in there for cross-country lessons once in a while (if they offered them).

I think my priority is definitely being able to ride every day, as I have been separated from my horse for the past five school years and so coming to Virginia had a lot to do with that-- plus I always loved W&M's history :) I know I'll have a lot of work on my course so that's why I was looking for somewhere pretty close to Williamsburg. It's too bad there isn't a lot of eventing stuff in that area.

If Debbie Rodriguez is around the Williamsburg area and wouldn't mind coming to the barn where I end up to teach (or is based somewhere not too far away), I think that might be a great solution in terms of coaching/dressage lessons. It's important to me to have eyes on the ground, especially at an event. A nice group of people to get to know wouldn't be too bad either!

Sorry that was so long-- basically what I'm trying to say is thanks so much for the advice and keep it coming! :P

mellsmom
Mar. 1, 2010, 03:20 PM
I ditto what everyone has said...there isn't much. However, you can still do some local stuff... www.cvacta.org and work on your Master's. If you get into UVA, there are tons of eventing place in C'ville. I sooooooooo miss it :-( every day. I can give you the name of someone in Williamsburg area who has the scoop on all the boarding barns in that area if you need it.

yellowbritches
Mar. 1, 2010, 08:38 PM
OK. So, I chatted with my client who is from that area and she confirmed- eventing is basically non-existent in that area. :( She boarded at Carlton Farms, which sounds basically like a big boarding facility/school mill, but she said the facilities are nice and the care is good. Most boarders are just pleasure/trail rider types, but there are a few DQs, a few wannabe eventers, etc. But it's a big place. She also said Debbie is your best bet for good instruction.

Good luck! It is a little bit of an eventing waste land, but it's only temporary, right? ;)

yellowbritches
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:29 AM
Just for the record, "wannabe eventers" is not meant in any way other than people who would like to event.

LexInVA
Mar. 2, 2010, 07:53 AM
:lol:

Schwab62
Mar. 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
Carlton Farms is probably going to be your best shot at finding anything remotely close to an eventing barn. It's mainly a hunter barn but the BM allows all types of riding...eventing, dressage, western. There are a few eventers at the barn with many going to shows. Many of the W&M students board their horses at this barn. Phone number is 757-220-3553 (barn office). The facility has two outdoor rings, an indoor, and lots of open galloping spaces. One upper level eventer will occasionally set up some jumping obstacles in the open grass areas for cross country training. The equine vet barn is located next door on the property. The BM can give you more information.

The BM allows outside instructors as long as you have 2 or more riders and the riders (even boarders) must pay a small ring fee. Debbie Rodriguez and Kris Montgomery have both done clinics at the barn. The next clinic will Kris will be in April because show season is underway.