PDA

View Full Version : Boarding in Monroe, NC?

MonroeNC
Feb. 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
I'm cross posting from the hunter/jumper forum because I'm an eventer at heart!
I may be moving to Monroe, NC and am interested any advice my fellow COTHers have to offer on boarding, trainers, showing, etc.
Right now I have my horses at home but would be boarding when I move. I'm not sure yet if I would look for a horse property eventually, but I know I would have to board at first.
I have two horses, a jumper and a hunter. The jumper does the high adults and level 3s and the hunter will hopefully be doing baby greens this year. I have also evented in the past so an eventing barn is not out of the question. I'm not sure if I want something that is strictly a show barn or not. I guess the ideal would be someplace professional, good footing, good instruction, but not necessarily a hunter jumper barn where everyone has to show on the A circuit. I'm open to ideas. Also, the option to haul in for lessons would be good to if/when I get my own place.
So, any ideas, info, pricing, etc would be helpful! Thanks!!

Strictly Classical
Feb. 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Hidden Springs Farm: http://www.hiddenspringfarm.net/

lstevenson
Feb. 28, 2010, 12:03 AM
I am at a great barn on the Monroe/Waxhaw border. The barn is not fancy, but the riding facilities are among the best in the area. Hundreds of acres of gorgeous land to ride on with great turf and rolling hills, x-c jumps, a huge sand ring with jumps and good footing, great grass in the fields, ect. You can see pics of it on my website: http://Lesleystevenson.webs.com

Welcome to the area! :)

MonroeNC
Feb. 28, 2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys!

Both of your places look great.

lstevenson, what does board run? If you would rather PM me I understand. Going from keeping both horses at home to boarding may be a little tough on the budget so it is something I need to take into consideration. Wow, what a nice facility, great website.

tarheelmd07
Feb. 28, 2010, 09:29 AM
There's also the Ark (www.whynotanamericanark.com)

Lose That
Feb. 28, 2010, 09:39 AM
Jennifer Holder is in Midland, about 40 mins from Monroe. Her website is www.thirdcharmtrainingcenter.com

MonroeNC
Feb. 28, 2010, 09:42 AM
Do you know what board runs at the Ark?

MonroeNC
Feb. 28, 2010, 09:45 AM
I saw Third Charm Training Center's website posted on an old thread. It looks like a nice place too. I'll try to talk to her too. I'm excited about my possible move! It sounds like there are a lot of good options out there.

ThirdCharm
Feb. 28, 2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the rec. Website needs a little more updating which I am planning to do this week--news, etc.-- but the prices etc. are all current! We do eventing, but I've had students who won HOY in the PHJA and we do straight Jumpers when we have time, too!

Jennifer

lecoeurtriste
Feb. 28, 2010, 08:25 PM
I've boarded at the Ark for almost 6 years now...it's quirky, but has the biggest facility bang for your buck in the entire Charlotte area (huge covered arena, 3 sand/blue stone arenas, a grass grand prix field, and a full USEA/USEF cross country course from Maiden through Preliminary). There are also schooling shows on the property every month (Dressage, CT/HT, jumpers, and/or hunters)...and hundreds of acres of trails within hacking distance. There are also several of us who trailer out for competitions, clinics, lessons, and Sunday trail rides. Feel free to PM or call me (704-221-1311) or call the owner directly (Jeff 704-226-5406).

abbey
www.whynotanamericanark.com

MonroeNC
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all of your help so far guys! I was out there last month and looked at a few barns along with a TON of houses. I'm really trying to find a horse property so that I won't have to board, but the search is still in process. I've found some good stuff online so I have a whole new list of houses to look at when I'm out there again in a couple weeks.

Anyway, new question... What are your recommendations for farriers and what do they charge? Also, any vet recommendations? Where is the best place to buy hay?

I'm so looking forward to our move!
Thank you for your help!