PDA

View Full Version : Stirrups...

Maya01
Feb. 26, 2010, 09:22 PM
Lets talk stirrups!

I'm on the hunt to upgrade from the traditional, heavy irons I currently use! Now, I have horrible conformation knee-wise (ya, if I were a horse, I would never buy me haha) and therefore require something that takes the pressure off. So, any recommendations for a pair of light(ish) stirrups that are not too costly?

Thanks in advance! :winkgrin:

ACMEeventing
Feb. 26, 2010, 09:53 PM
Love the Sprenger stirrups, but they are NOT cheap! They last forever though and boy do they make my legs feel good.

eponacowgirl
Feb. 27, 2010, 12:17 AM
http://www.horseloverz.com/Composite-REFLEX-Wide-track-Stirrups-pr-281825.html

I LOVE these.

deltawave
Feb. 27, 2010, 12:45 AM
Stirrups are really an acquired taste, and one person's favorite is another's worst. I personally don't like jointed ones AT ALL. I notice no difference in how my knees feel with different stirrups. Other people feel every jostle in their knees, or ankles. This suggests to me that it's an individual conformation thing, much like finding a saddle that you like.

I do have one pair that has the "eye" rotated 90 degrees so the stirrup hangs properly and I can stick my foot in without the leather twisting as much. I'm not sure this actually helps my leg position, but it is easier to pick up my stirrups if I drop them. :)

eventer_mi
Feb. 27, 2010, 10:55 AM
I have this issue with my left leg and my left foot falling asleep. It's not a knee issue, per se - it's more of a hip issue and the fact that I press too hard on my stirrups.

I have the MDC Intelligent stirrups (http://www.beval.com/Products/MDC-Intelligent-Stirrup-Irons/0018010.aspx), jointed, with the eye that you can twist around (like Deltawave's). I do notice less of a "burn" across the calf when I use them and I don't have the knee pain, but my feet were still falling asleep, so I bought the Royal Riders T3 (http://www.royalriderstirrups.com/products.html)with the offset eye. I can't say I've noticed a difference with my hips/knees from the MDCs, but I DO notice that with the wider foot bed, I don't have my feet falling asleep quite so much. I wish they were jointed, though.

If you have knee problems, I'd recommend the Royal Riders with the joints. A lot of people around here (Southern Pines) use them and swear by them.

La Chasse
Feb. 27, 2010, 11:14 AM
I also recently upgraded because of knee pain and picked the sprenger bow-balance. I love them! The stirrup pad sold it for me- nubbly rubber with cushion and my knees adore them. :)

ACMEeventing
Feb. 27, 2010, 11:31 AM
Maya, any chance you could "test drive" some of the different stirrups? Maybe other folks at your barn already have some of the aforementioned. DW is right, stirrups are like saddles - a very personal decision.

Who knew riding could be so complicated :lol:

deltawave
Feb. 27, 2010, 11:39 AM
with the eye that you can twist around (like Deltawave's)

Nuh uh! Mine are fixed. There is no way on God's green earth I'd pay $185 for stirrups! :lol: Mine cost $30, cheap knockoffs with only one option, no swivel. :D

KateWooten
Feb. 27, 2010, 07:52 PM
At RG last year, I watch a girl cross the XC finish line all decked out in Purple and green. SHe looked absolutely wonderful ... and her stirrups were shiny metallic purple :cool: :D :cool: They were luffly ... does anyone know where I could find them ?

deltawave
Feb. 27, 2010, 10:12 PM
Gaaah. Even if I knew, I wouldn't tell you. :winkgrin: :lol:

zagafi
Feb. 27, 2010, 10:16 PM
I hated my Herm Sprenger Bow Balance, and love my Royal Riders. It's the wider footbed that makes me happy! LOL!

CookiePony
Feb. 27, 2010, 10:17 PM
Here's another stirrup question: does anyone who tends to collapse their ankles outward have a stirrup suggestion? Like maybe those pads that are higher on one side? Do they work?

BEARCAT
Feb. 27, 2010, 11:01 PM
I have these and love them. It's a brilliant design!

http://www.k-val.com/materiel_d_equitation/etriers-awantec-p-205.html

SIC
Mar. 11, 2010, 07:50 PM
I love my MDC Stirrups. I was at a trade show in January and saw their new model. They have a wide aluminum, non slip pad and a traditional width pad also in aluminum. The rest of the stirrup is the same rotating, adjustable top. They come with either a flex, like their older model, or a non flex. I am pretty sure you can test ride them and get your money back if you don't like them.

Nobody likes pain. Good luck in your search.

Bobthehorse
Mar. 11, 2010, 08:23 PM
I dont get joint pain, but I have hammer toes and in my tight boots with my short xc stirrups my toes fall asleep. I have always just ridden in regular filis irons, but my toes also didnt bother me as much. I dont know what might help, but I have those black comfort treads that wrap around and I LOVE them for their grip, it made a huge difference after riding in my old worn off white grips. I suppose I should run some tests with the jointed irons, but I dont know anyone with the composite ones I could try, and man are they expensive.

sisu27
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:02 PM
Another Royal Rider lover here. Blew out a knee and had to have surgery last summer plus my knees were a mess to begin with (thanks dad for that gene). When I ride in someone elses saddle without them I feel the difference and I don't like it.

eventingismylife
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:19 PM
I was thinking about getting a pair of jointed stirrups b/c I dislocated my knee cap a few years ago (I am also another with bad knee confo), have ankle and joint pain, and my toes would fall asleep too. My was riding in my trainer's saddle and she has these on her traditional heavy weight stirrups:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/super-comfort-stirrup-pads/p/X1-0752/cn/1730/ and they made me feel so much better! No more joint pain for sleepy toes (hehe)! Great price and they are also very grippy.

Simbalism
Mar. 12, 2010, 02:03 AM
Last fall, I got a pair of Metalabs(sp?) to try. I had some knock off jointed stirrups and didn't think they made much of a difference. The jointed ones are ok for taking a lesson, but for riding out on the trail or for longer periods of time yikes my knees would be killing me. The Metalabs have a wider footbed with an airpad under the actual footpad part. Haven't had a chance to ride on longer rides with them too much due to all the snow/rain/mud here since fall. I did use them for foxhunting right after I got them, and I did notice a difference from my other stirrups.