PDA

View Full Version : interesting article on L. Ashker (non-horsey)

staceyk
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:45 PM
I work at a university and was perusing another "peer" institution's site, U of Richmond. This article was on the Home Page, thought it was nicely done...

http://news.richmond.edu/features/article/www/835/two-liberal-arts-majors-learn-what-it-takes-to-run-a-business.html

I don't know how people manage their horsey and non-horsey interests -- a lot of irons in the fire :-)

deltawave
Feb. 26, 2010, 02:38 PM
“The brunt of my time was spent studying multiple languages and focusing on my major and minor.”

Pity the proper use of English was not more of a focus. :lol: (I'm sorry, but her malapropsims are just hilarious)

raises money for charity by creating social media buzz

It always amazes me how many ways there are to subdivide human behavior and make things happen. Who would have thought that this was something that could turn into a business? And this is why I'm glad that there are people cut out for that sort of thinking, because it's completely alien to me. :)

LexInVA
Feb. 26, 2010, 02:45 PM
*unleashes a ginormous fart* Meh.

staceyk
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:02 PM
I've seen worse (in terms of grammar, use of the language) -- and better.

I can't find a lot to criticize in getting more education. :-)

olympicprincess
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:14 PM
Her blazer looks like a riding coat.

ManyDogs
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm so old I remember when U of Richmond was for men and Westhampton was for women.
Beautiful campus-nice and leafy!
I was driving down River Road years ago and did a major double-take when I noticed the big white frame house across from the football field was gone. Vanished! Later found out it was moved to the U of Richmond campus. :eek::eek:

Ajierene
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
I am constantly surprised that liberal arts majors do not understand why they cannot get a job. Really, unless you want an entry level job, your knowledge of Spanish or music is not really a help.

Sure, there are a very few jobs out there that you may have, but if you want to work in the business world as an executive, a more business/management oriented degree is probably a better choice.

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:47 PM
I am constantly surprised that liberal arts majors do not understand why they cannot get a job. Really, unless you want an entry level job, your knowledge of Spanish or music is not really a help.

Sure, there are a very few jobs out there that you may have, but if you want to work in the business world as an executive, a more business/management oriented degree is probably a better choice.

I have to disagree. A liberal arts degree is very desirable in business and many industries...and I never had a hard time getting a job with one. It is what ELSE you have on your resume that is important. Also, where you got your degree...and having a strong GPA. I know several top executives and CEOs who have liberal arts degrees.

Regardless, a 4 year degree isn't going to get you much beyond an entry level position in any industry....and having a liberal arts degree (with a good GPA) from a good school doesn't hurt your chances for getting into top knotch Grad schools.

Somantu
Feb. 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
Off topic, but I have to agree w/ bornfreenowexpensive.

An MFA is the new MBA;)
There was a great article in HBR a few years ago. And here's a link to someone else's take on the original article by Daniel Pink.

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2008/04/the_mfa_is_the_new_mba.html

staceyk
Feb. 26, 2010, 04:06 PM
Oh my heavens, kids with foreign language skills have a lot of opportunities, and right now Spanish is very marketable. A student that worked for us landed a really sought-after business internship in South America because she was fluent in Spanish, and she got a great job after graduating.

We have liberal arts students placed at great jobs -- but they're well rounded in terms of extra-curriculars, job experiences, and most importantly, they've demonstrated they can write and communicate.

Off the old soap box now.

Cranky Agnes
Feb. 26, 2010, 04:10 PM
Sweet bejuzus....why the hell is she ORANGE?!?!? :eek:

RAyers
Feb. 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
“I had an idea to use social media as an inexpensive and efficient form of marketing,"

Code speak for, "I hang out on Facebook all day getting ads into Mafia Wars and Farmville."

This is a high power business nowadays. There is a COTHer who works for Zynga and does pretty well.

I am glad she is doing things like this. However what I was asking after seeing the article was, "I wonder if she has ever had any work done on her nose?"

Reed

snoopy
Feb. 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
“I had an idea to use social media as an inexpensive and efficient form of marketing,"

Code speak for, "I hang out on Facebook all day getting ads into Mafia Wars and Farmville."

This is a high power business nowadays. There is a COTHer who works for Zynga and does pretty well.

I am glad she is doing things like this. However what I was asking after seeing the article was, "I wonder if she has ever had any work done on her nose?"

Reed

No Reed, don't you remember "it broke straighter" and now she is happier with it.

staceyk
Feb. 26, 2010, 04:45 PM
“I had an idea to use social media as an inexpensive and efficient form of marketing"

I think that ship has sailed, many moons ago.

KSevnter
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:28 PM

Really? I have to say of all the majors out there Spanish is probably one of the most useful these days.

For what it is worth, my really good friend and classmate (at UR, oddly enough) believes her Spanish major has served her quite well in the business world first as a broker at the Latin American desk of Merrill and now as a manager of a Brazilian based trade company. No business major in sight but her Spanish major absolutely helped her learn Portuguese really quickly.

Richmond has a well respected undergraduate business school but I don't recall any of the business majors coming out with non entry level jobs based on their degree. I recall that everyone was on a level playing field whether they had B.S. in business or B.A. in history.

LexInVA
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:33 PM
Spanish and other foreign languages are VERY useful. However, finding good jobs that allow you to use such knowledge while earning a living wage are few and far between. Many of those coveted jobs are in the financial world, trade industries, or working for the government in various capacities that deal with trade or warfare. Right now, the hottest languages to know are Russian, Chinese dialects, and obviously Arabic/Farsi. If you are skilled at any of those languages, you can get a job with little difficulty. Anything else is simply hit or miss.

HorsesinHaiti
Feb. 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
Spanish and other foreign languages are VERY useful. However, finding good jobs that allow you to use such knowledge while earning a living wage are few and far between. Many of those coveted jobs are in the financial world, trade industries, or working for the government in various capacities that deal with trade or warfare. Right now, the hottest languages to know are Russian, Chinese dialects, and obviously Arabic/Farsi. If you are skilled at any of those languages, you can get a job with little difficulty. Anything else is simply hit or miss.

News to me, Lex. Though I admit, I still remember a little of my Mandarin and get to use it a couple times a year. ;)

Carol Ames
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
If I still had a riding coat, I could get into, :winkgrin: I'd wear it too:yes: new clothes cost money:eek: you know:lol: Why not make them do "double duty?"

Her blazer looks like a riding coat.

Carol Ames
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:34 PM
You must be from an FFV, no?:cool:

I'm so old I remember when U of Richmond was for men and Westhampton was for women.
Beautiful campus-nice and leafy!
I was driving down River Road years ago and did a major double-take when I noticed the big white frame house across from the football field was gone. Vanished! Later found out it was moved to the U of Richmond campus. :eek::eek:

Carol Ames
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:39 PM
finding good :mad:jobs that allow you to earn a living wage are few and far:sadsmile: between.:o Many of those coveted jobs

AKB
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Fluency in Arabic and other currently "hot" languages will help you get a job in certain parts of the government, such as the CIA. I am glad to see any young woman getting more education and developing career skills. Perhaps Laine realizes that eventing is not a long term career for most people.

OverandOnward
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:42 PM
Spanish + Arabic could open many doors. There is a lot of international business in the Mediterranean where those languages are gateways. Shouldn't be hard to add Italian to Spanish, if one is so inclined. Interesting article, interesting business idea.

On a different note ... why is it that I know any neutral or friendly reference to a name rider will be followed by string of snarky posts? Yanno? It works like a natural reflex, it seems. :confused:

Ajierene
Feb. 26, 2010, 09:07 PM
There was a time when a degree, any degree put you on top of other applicants, but more and more it is becoming a specific degree.

My dad got many jobs just being smart - no college degree and he did not even graduate high school.

Then, if you did not have experience, high school diplomas became more mandatory.

Then it became college degrees.

Now it is college degree in X discipline. Spanish is helpful in certain industries, but I have found only when paired with another degree that is specific to the industry, such as nursing, health services or teaching. Arabic still only has limited usefulness - a local university was creating an English to Arabic program for soldiers. They only wanted native speakers.

Right now, especially where I live, the unemployed pool is so inundated with people who have both degrees and experience that you would be a fool to try to have a liberal arts degree and get anything other than an entry level job. The impression I got from gentleman in the article is that he was initially surprised that his liberal arts degree was not very marketable and surprise surprise, he needed something on his resume that was business related to make the business world look at him twice.

Duramax
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:36 PM
Sweet bejuzus....why the hell is she ORANGE?!?!? :eek:

Haha, I had the same exact thought but was too chicken to say it. :lol: Look at the difference b/w her hands and her face!!

staceyk
Feb. 27, 2010, 07:30 AM
It's funny how people notice different things -- the references to 'orange' :-).

I just thought she looked radiant, and it's interesting to see the "other side" of someone's life -- like seeing your trainer at year end awards, in makeup in high heels.

I don't know her personally, but people change a lot in their twenties. I'm glad to see evidence she is doing things to broaden her outlook. That's just smart, and I think admirable.

Albion
Feb. 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
Right now, especially where I live, the unemployed pool is so inundated with people who have both degrees and experience that you would be a fool to try to have a liberal arts degree and get anything other than an entry level job. The impression I got from gentleman in the article is that he was initially surprised that his liberal arts degree was not very marketable and surprise surprise, he needed something on his resume that was business related to make the business world look at him twice.

Honestly, the average UG degree in "business administration" isn't going to do any more for you than a liberal arts degree - and at least those of us in liberal arts were constantly put through our paces when it came to writing and communicating. We had to write a big research paper for our senior project. The business majors role played. :uhoh:

mbdobbs
Feb. 27, 2010, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately not true. I studied Arabic for eight years and get around Damascus without a map. Applied for dozens of jobs in Washington. Got a few acknowledgements of my resume being received, and that's it. Oh, and I have a liberal arts undergrad and a master's in public administration.

Two things get you jobs: Knowing someone on the inside, and getting lucky.

Moderator 1
Feb. 27, 2010, 03:42 PM
Though it is interesting to see how folks combine riding with their careers, this thread isn't really addressing that topic, and is more about applying a liberal arts degree, so we're going to close it.

Thanks!
Mod 1