PDA

View Full Version : Pariani trees?

Grasshopper
Feb. 26, 2010, 10:47 AM
Can anyone tell me about Pariani trees, in general? Are they flatter, or more banana-shaped? I'm looking for a new dressage saddle, as my County Competitor's wide tree is not quite wide enough for the mare, and it doesn't quite work for me either. The tree shape is great for her, though, so am looking for something with similar tree (but slightly more forward flaps and not huge knee blocks).

Thanks!

clivers
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
They are somewhat banana shaped (but not like a devoucoux etc.) and the tree points tend to be quite forward so best on a horse whose shoulder is not massive.
Good luck :)

paddles
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:43 PM
I guess I would first ask if your County is sitting in balance.

A common symptom of a saddle that is too wide rather than too narrow is that the flaps may not be lying as far forward as the designer intended. As you have asked this in the eventing area I might also assume that you are riding a Tb or at least a horse that may be more lean and muscular. This type of horse does not often require a wide saddle.

That said check that the saddle sits as County says it should.
Their web site has a page on how to fit their saddles. Use that as your guide. I expect that you will find the cantle high. If the tree shape is great and the saddle is ok with the exception of the skirt position have them fit you and her and make one that is right. If there are other negative factors that you haven't mentioned then shop around. There are other saddles out there in your price range that offer a custom fit ie a wide variety of tree sizes and the skirts where you want them. I don't think Pariani has a custom program and I think you will find the skirts to be very close to the same position as a properly balanced Competitor.

Grasshopper
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Paddles, the wide County is, indeed somewhat unbelievably, barely wide enough on my TB mare. It fits the WB gelding just right. Two or three reputable saddle fitters, and a chiropractor, have confirmed the fit on the TB. She doesn't have the "typical" TB shape, more a WB body type, with a wide flat back and even wider shoulders.

I've liked the Amerigo dressage saddles I've ridden in, but they are generally out of my price range for the moment, and the trees (at least that I've seen) are not a good fit for my horses.

Sounds like the Pariani wouldn't be, either. Sigh. I may just end up going custom from the same guy in the UK that made my jumping saddle, which is lovely for all involved. My dressage trainer actually suggested that after seeing me ride in said saddle...guess I might need to bite the bullet after all....

CBudFrggy
Feb. 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
It's nice to see you on here. Check your PMs.