PDA

View Full Version : Beallsville, MD 20839

Isabeau Z Solace
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:23 PM
I have received a job offer at a private farm in MD. I am going to go down and give the position a try out. Hopefully, if it doesn't work out, I will be able to return to my spot in NJ.:confused:

I am told is that area boasts a healthy population of Eventers. I am proficient to a respectable level in both jumpers and dressage, but my mileage on the Event course is limited to a handful of goes since my High School Years (ah yes, that was '89.)

Part of my job in MD would include buying and selling a few sales prospects. I am hoping there is someone here that is local to the area who would be willing to fill me in on what it's like, who are some good folks to meet/train with, etc. I am moving from a large busy farm to a small private one :eek:& hoping to find someone who might consider showing me around, or point me in the direction of a good tack store, tractor supply, etc.

Advice, Directions, Recommendations Appreciated !!:)

yellowbritches
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
We'll practically be neighbors! :D

That is a lovely area. You will enjoy it. The area is full of horse people...most everyone is very nice, but, like more horsey communities, there are definitely people to stay away from!

Basics- the closest tack shop to that area would probably be the little tack shop in the back of Poolesville Hardware. It isn't great, but you can get your basics or emergency supplies there. The next closest (and practically my second home) is the Surrey, which is in its new location in Darnestown on Rt. 28. They have a good selection of things, are fantastic at getting things, and the staff is pretty much exceptional. Most of the adults who work there are VERY knowledgeable. I am slightly biased since one of our clients works there, but it really is a very decent tack shop. They also know EVERYONE. :yes:

While I am very much a Virginian at heart, I DO love this area and I'm ok with calling MoCo home. Feel free to PM me. I can fill you in on gossip, etc, answer more questions, etc, etc, etc. I also don't mind at all showing you around. :winkgrin: Welcome to the area!!!

yellow rose eventing
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:48 PM
Loch Moy is an exit down and where we live and train out of.

It's a nice area and there are some fun things to do in Frederick. If you end up going, give a shout. We're always adding to our crew of deviants

xitmom
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:34 AM
Hmmm.... I seem to remember getting a speeding ticket from there last year. Maybe it was Poolesville though. They have those automatic cameras that take the picture and you get a love note in the mail. Beware!

yellowbritches
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yes. There are speed cameras EVERYWHERE in MoCo. But, you figure out where they are (hopefully prior to getting a ticket), and drive accordingly. I got one in Poolesville one time. I had my dog and my brother's two dogs in the car...you can clearly see two of them hanging their heads out the windows, enjoying are Sunday morning drive! :lol: There was no denying it was me!

Catalina
Feb. 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
I used to keep my horse at a friend's farm right down from what used to be Staubs (right there on the corner of 28 and Beallsville Rd). We would ride the horses over on hot days and get ice cream from the walk up window.

Beallsville is essentially a wide spot in the road; there is nothing there. But Poolesville is just a few minutes away and Germantown, where you can find just about everything, is about 20 minutes SE.

What farm are you working at (you can PM me)? I can ask my friend if she knows anything about it (she has lived there for most of her life).

Isabeau Z Solace
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:33 AM
thanks so much for the info everyone. I will keep a close eye on the speedometer. I stopped somewhere close to the Harpers Ferry Bridge to refuel on my last trip down there and I was thinking to myself "I wonder how welcome a NJ license plate is in VA ?? I am sure the speed enforcement personnel and devices will display extra pluck to monitor my driving !!

I will PM those who invited me.

What's MoCo ?? I am guessing short for the county ?

curlykarot
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:47 AM
MoCo is short for Montgomery County.

Just to show you how close you are to everything, here is a list of events within 50 miles (about an hour) of your zipcode:
http://useventing.com/competitions.php?id=634

Welcome to the area!

Isabeau Z Solace
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:54 AM
Thank you Curlykarot. So I am guessing the VHSA are the local Hunter/Jumper show organization. Is there a dressage GMO around there ?

curlykarot
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
VHSA is Virginia Horse Show Assoc. PVDA is the Potomac Valley Dressage Assoc. http://www.pvda.org/default.aspx

Tazzie
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:08 PM
Is there a dressage GMO around there ?

http://www.marylandressage.org/

Welcome to the area!