PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Girths - Do you ever show in them?

Sudi's Girl
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:29 PM
So of course my Arab pony is super roly-poly, so in order to prevent "saddle slippage," I generally have to keep his girths super tight.

Unfortunately, his massage therapist is telling me that she thinks he's getting somewhat sore (muscle-wise) from this. She suggested I try a softer fleece type girth to my typical leather one. I figured I could also throw on a breast plate to help with that too?

I already use a black fleece girth for his dressage saddle (since it's so subtle), but do people ever use these for their jumping saddles in competitions? (I am one of those who like to look perfect for competitions - to show I am putting for a lot of effort to do a good job). But I first and foremost want the pony to have what's best for him.

I was searching on SmartPak and saw this one:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=4968

Any thoughts?? Thanks all! :)

Brown Horse
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
For what it's worth, I only show at the BN level, but I show all 3 phases (since I have a short billet dressage saddle) with a synthetic fleece girth :p My horse uses a fleece keyhole pad with his dressage saddle and a fleece half pad with his jumping saddle so, in my opinion, the fleece on the girth kind of completes the look of the fleece on top :)

AppJumpr08
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:45 PM
Yes I have in the past.
As long as it's clean, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I tend to use my leather girth for show jumping because I think it looks more polished, but there's certainly nothing wrong with using a fleece one :)

Jazzy Lady
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:01 PM
During spring and fall shedding season when my horse is prone to rubs, I have to put a sheepskin on his girths. I use two short girths and I'll put the sheepskin on either. I like having the removable option because I can still use it for my leather girths and I can clean it easier (without buckles banging around in my washing machine). I've used it through Intermediate with no funny looks.

RAyers
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:08 PM
Always have at all levels and for all my horses.

Reed

graytbmare
Feb. 25, 2010, 05:00 PM
honestly if the fleece is whats best for your horse and you wash it before the show, its fine. I dont think it looks less polished at all.

deltawave
Feb. 25, 2010, 05:06 PM
Yup. My dressage girth for Bonnie is fleece, I have a sheepskin "sleeve" for Keebler's (black, looks great), and Keebler's jumping girth is brown with white fleece.

If it's clean and it's the right choice for the horse, any piece of tack is virtually always appropriate. :)

mjrtango93
Feb. 25, 2010, 05:43 PM
I showed my advanced horse for the 6 years I had him in fuzzy girths for all phases, including at all my 3-days. He would girth gull at the drop of a hat, so it was the only way to avoid that. I just had an extra one for show jumping that was always a bit prettier then my nasty home one that I would use for cross country. Just make sure your horse doesn't have a sweat allergy, otherwise you will get to wash it every 3 days like I did :no:.

Gry2Yng
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:20 PM
Yes. Use them when required.

Look into the professional choice girths, they have some "stick" to them. I find they don't have to be tightened as much. That said, I don't show in them. I think they are ugly.

ETA: I don't mean the fleece PC girths the next poster is referring to. Just the plain old synthetic something or other.

yellowbritches
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
I personally don't LOVE fleece girths They just seem a little slick- my first choice is a Professional's Choice girth- and they feel a little bulky under my leg, but I have used them plenty. In fact, for my ridiculously sensitive horse, I used them, then went way over the top and got the very fancy sheepskin Professional's Choice girth last winter. I HATED it. It was poorly designed (they have since improved that), with the very bulky fleece going all the way to the buckles on the off side (I had Journeyman's rebuild it and cut the fleece way back on that side). And it was SO ridiculously bulky, I felt like it really interfered with my leg. I sold it. I've spent the last year playing with girths (most synthetic things like the neoprene ones cause rubs or almost "burn" him). I've finally just gone back to good old leather.

But, fleece is totally fine for shows. Just keep it clean. :yes: I do really like the black fleece girths, since they aren't so hard to keep clean!

pday09
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
As long as its clean you wont have a problem with it. If you really can't stand it, they make leather girths with fleece on the underside: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0223&ids=897332803

302style
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:36 PM
I always put the comfort of the horse ahead of style or tradition, so I would definitely not hesitate to show in a fleece girth if it was in an effort to prevent or care for girth rubs or another skin irritation. Similarly, if your saddle slips so much that it's unsafe or is negatively affecting your riding, go for it.

Ajierene
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have leather girths with fleece that velcros to the side against the horse for both dressage and jumping and use it every show. I really like them and just rip off the fleece after the show and wash it with my show pads, no big deal. Clean the leather as usual.

Sudi's Girl
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:08 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the input! Looks like I have some shopping to do!!!...(Darn the bad luck! ;) hehehe)

CBudFrggy
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:59 PM
Always have at all levels and for all my horses.

Reed

My hero! I use a low-profile wool girth you can order in black or brown from www.whinnywidgets.com. She'll have them made with elastic at one or both ends, black or brown, and my first one has lasted 3 years, and is just now getting a little threadbare. I love them b/c they stay pretty cool (low profile), look neat and I use a curry comb and rinse them in the hose when they get cruddy.

RunForIt
Feb. 27, 2010, 08:26 AM
I used the fleece sleeves that go over the girths on both my jumping saddle and dressage saddle girths for Buddy - we just competed through Training. Have seen them on horses going at the upper levels at PTF and Poplar. :cool: