PDA

View Full Version : Who is a really good dressage trainer in MD/VA?

Catalina
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:22 AM
I am sitting here looking out the window at all the snow that is still on the ground and realizing that I haven't ridden in months and show season is coming up. So, I am mulling over the idea of sending my horse to a dressage trainer for a tune up. Ideally would be someone who is nearish Frederick/Hagerstown who will whip his butt into shape. Any ideas? I am leaning more towards a pure dressage trainer then an event trainer because I figure the jumping will be much better if he can actually learn to sit and get a good quality canter.

ponyxjd
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:40 AM
PMed you.

asterix
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:47 AM
Todd Bryan. Pure dressage guy, in your area, works with eventers a lot (well, ok, I know about 10 -- which is more than probably most straight dressage folks teach!)...

faybe
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:28 AM
Susan Graham White. She's a dressage trainer who judges eventing dressage. Her farm is in southern MD, I'm pretty sure.

Ishi
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
I don't know if she's too far for you, but Alison Head at Looking Glass Farm, in Hamilton VA. We started 2 or 3 young horses for her, and that's where Napa went for his 1 month dressage tune up this summer. I've taken lessons from her on both Carmen and Calypso, and really like her. She's straight dressage but helps a lot of eventers as well. Helped me a lot with Carmen, who was a straight dressage horse before I made her into an eventer as well.

Bummer you aren't riding yet. We are here, and I just got home from galloping the chasers in the snow, now that was fun!

VicariousRider
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:25 AM
I think that Siva Martin is doing a bunch of clinics right now in MD. The info is on her website www.boydandsilvamartin.com

ETA: I didn't realize that you were looking for a place to SEND you horse. Sorry. I though that you wanted a lesson. Silva is located in West Grove, PA so that is probably too far for you.

WakeRider
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:00 PM
Laura Beetle in Monkton, MD... she is AMAZING and has an indoor. And is very affordable!

midnightride
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:48 PM
I would be very careful with some on the pure dressage folks... they are a bit scared of horses that are free thinkers and might be intimidated by the better event types... JMHO!!

I would just wait till you can get going and save the money on a good event trainer. Lots of good event horses have been set back by to much controlling "dressage" work (IM- VERY- HO) this is not dressage as truely ment to be but well that is another issue;))

You have done well in the past and it would be a shame to see that work down the drain!!!

August and a drought will be here soon.... I HOPE!!!!!:yes:

oldenmare
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:37 PM
Another vote for Todd Bryan - and he is not scared of any free-thinking or spirited horses! ;)

Blarn
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:43 PM
I ride right over the MD boarder with Hank Hutson. He is a dressage only guy at this point but did ride and place at Rolex and many other events. He likes a spicy horse that has a free mind. We are located right by New Bolton Center.
Let me know if you would like some more info. The prices aren't bad either and we have turn out and a huge indoor.

meupatdoes
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:46 PM
Lauren Sprieser is a super "pure" dressage rider who has some eventing clients that she has really helped.

LexInVA
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:50 PM
Lauren makes me laugh with her blogs. She's funny.

Acertainsmile
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:50 PM
I ride right over the MD boarder with Hank Hutson. He is a dressage only guy at this point but did ride and place at Rolex and many other events. He likes a spicy horse that has a free mind. We are located right by New Bolton Center.
Let me know if you would like some more info. The prices aren't bad either and we have turn out and a huge indoor.

I grew up riding with Hank when we were kids... if I had to use one word to describe him it would be "fearless"...he's an awesome rider and a cool guy too!

asterix
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:04 AM
I learned to event from Hank :D.
He's an absolutely spectacular rider and is fearless.
Having ridden with both, I can say Todd is definitely "gentler" on the rider.
But I don't know how they would compare in terms of actually working with your horse...

glimmerling
Feb. 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
I highly recommend Lani and Patrick Tigchelaar. I have known Lani for 15 years and she is a gifted and knowledgeable trainer. Her husband, Patrick, is Dutch and and is also amazing. They are located in Hanover, VA but travel to the DC area every week for lessons. tdstables.com. They train eventers, Patrick spent many years bringing up jumpers in Holland.

Tazzie
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
I took a clinic once with Peggy Pariso and was impressed with how she was able to help me and my pony in that short timeframe.

gottagrey
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
There are a lot of good dressage trainers in these parts - what part of VA/MD might help if you narrowed down your geographical area - for where you are willing to travel and then get some names...

abowls
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:41 PM
What about Fred Weber? He's in Frederick.

bambam
Feb. 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Both Todd and Hank are stellar riders and trainers and are not afraid of event horses or riders. This is based on having ridden with both and seen both of them riding/training other folks event horses.

EquestrianRunner
Feb. 27, 2010, 07:32 PM
Do any of these trainers travel? I am in Northern MD....

Sabovee
Feb. 27, 2010, 08:02 PM
Another vote for Todd. He's simply amazing - he's taken my horses and myself to an entirely new plane.

Catalina
Mar. 1, 2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions :D! After a lot of research and talking to people, my horse is going to Todd Bryan this weekend. I am excited; I talked in some length with Todd and he fully understood what I was looking for and thought that he could attain that goal.

asterix
Mar. 1, 2010, 02:44 PM
let us know how it turns out! I have really enjoyed working with Todd on both my "real" dressage horse and my greenbean.

Tazzie
Mar. 1, 2010, 06:31 PM
Congrats! I've heard great things about him.

WakeRider
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:55 PM
Do any of these trainers travel? I am in Northern MD....

Laura Beetle does. PM me and I will give you her number.

Carol Ames
Mar. 1, 2010, 10:30 PM
Ginna La croix in poolesville, MD.

SBF
Mar. 2, 2010, 09:10 AM
Felicitas Von Neumann-Cosel - she is in Woodbine.

Sabovee
Mar. 2, 2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions :D! After a lot of research and talking to people, my horse is going to Todd Bryan this weekend. I am excited; I talked in some length with Todd and he fully understood what I was looking for and thought that he could attain that goal.

Are you sending Connor or Mark?? :) Make sure you tell Ashley (the girl who works in the barn) you're a friend of mine. :)

Catalina
Mar. 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
Are you sending Connor or Mark?? :) Make sure you tell Ashley (the girl who works in the barn) you're a friend of mine. :)

Connor :). He needs to learn to sit and use that big ol' a$$ of his so we can stop having rails at Training and I just don't feel like I have the knowledge to be able to teach him. So hopefully Todd will be able to instill the nice uphill canter in him and then teach me how to get it out.

So Mr Marcus will will have my sole attention for awhile as we get ready for Redlands. Connor will probably start the season at Loudoun.

I will definitely mention it to Ashley :).