PDA

View Full Version : I would like your opinions! ;)

Catomine
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:14 AM
Yet another horse 'critique' thread. But I like these threads when people post them, so why not? I am going to see this horse tomorrow. He's in my price range at 12k. I want something to do up to 3'-3'3'' with. Right now with my leased horse I am doing 2'6'' as he's not the easiest ride and I'm a wimp ;) I want something quiet, I like the way he moves, he's big, has a personality- and my loftiest goals are just local A shows, maybe Tampa or Venice. He seems slender, but otherwise perfect for what I want. But- I'm no expert especially not in the bigger shows (ie: anything above a schooling show, ahah), do you think he will be able to hold his own against the 'nicer' warmbloods? I know he definitely needs some work, and I don't think the rider helped much in presenting him perfectly. I noticed he swapped leads one stride in front of the fence, and he is kind of sloppy over the smaller fences, loose-kneed. Maybe he needs some gymnastics or has been jumping 2' for too long.

Anyways, watch the video, let me know what you think of him, oh- he also has a hideous brand that I hope is clipped during the picture taking and video session here. I really don't like it!

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp3QERoZ3ac

Thanks so much!

ETA: Here is another link to him jumping 3'. Read the caption, it mentions something about his weight. I think he jumped pretty nicely for something that was out of shape.. http://www.youtube.com/user/sandcaypaulette#p/a/u/0/wIjR5txrd4M

Cloverbarley
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:24 AM
If you are looking for something quiet then he certainly looks very quiet and slow. I'm used to whizzing about, speedy horses so he actually looks painfully slow to me.

Those jumps look more like 2'6" (max) than 3'3" so they don't really show what he would be capable of.

The brand looks like they have clipped it - it won't look so silly once the hair has grown back so I wouldn't worry about that.

Anyway, horses for courses, if you like him and get along with him when you try him then that's all that matters :)

mroades
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
not my type....but probably useful

Meggs
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
I never post here, but I too love these type threads!
I'd like to think for the price you could find something nicer, and that at 10 has been showing(it doesn't say he has or hasn't). Conformationally cute face, looks weak loin. Weird tail carriage, and maybe to much action for hunters.

altjaeger
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
Do you need a 17HH horse? It's a long way to the ground! Also, he has a kind of "bump" in the croup area that I'm not used to seeing. Just my opinion, but I'd never pay anywhere near $12,000 for this horse.

klmck63
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:00 AM
The horse is cute and seems like a good boy, but I would not likely pay $12 000 for him.

I think you could probably find something better in the same price range.

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:16 AM
OK, here is another one I don't dislike. Actually alot to like here on a budget. BUT...OP wants to move up to 3'-3'3" at decent shows and I don't see it here.

OP asks if this one could hold his own against WBs at a USEF A rated at 3'-3'3"? Nope. Not against TBs or other appendix QHs competent at that level either. Local at 2'6"? I'd go look if that is what my goals were. He is quiet and knows a ton including changes...certainly does not need a sophisticated ride and I'll leave that there.

Not dissing the sellers here or this horse. He is well and fairly presented. See no issue with weight, he is just the lanky kind of appendix you often see and they do include honest conformation shots I wish more would include.

But he is 10. Maybe to them at the shows they do he has a big stride. I don't see it. He does not track up at all at walk and trot (step at least into the hoofprint). His back end conformation and angles say he cannot-that straight hip and set back hock are why he does not track up, he can't. That will always limit step and ability to push off and go round over bigger jumps.

The jump round at 3' is what we would call a very friendly 3'. No real spreads (3' oxers are 3' wide too and more then a few rails on 2 sets of standards), no stuffing or filler to really get him to work to get over and no real solid faux wall or roll top that actually tops at 3' (the solid part, not a rail 6" over the top). He is pretty resistent in the bridle at this height, obviously uncomfortable. He is slooooow into his lead changes instead of flowing forward, indication he really has to open up to get over then has to slow way down to balance, again consistent with a shorter step.

Anyway...think this one is what he is in the first video at an also friendly 2'6" and is about topped out there. If that is what you want, go take a look.

Catomine, can you look at some videos of the WEF Classic or something? Just go on Youtube and watch Hunter rounds? Don't come back with a link and ask us what we think. Just watch about 100 of them. These things sort themselves out if you watch enough.

Just remember that you may not be in the market for a 250k WEF winner BUT there is no reason you can't get as much of what makes that one a winner in a lower cost horse as you can. You don't need the big jump and fancy movement-you need the underlying structure to create it. Some flaws you can live with but, if it ain't there? Not going to be able to do it.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
If the horse has show milage is quiet and easy to ride and is sound, why wouldn't 12K be a good price for the horse?

I didn't like the rider on this horse, lost of bouncing around and leaning this way or that and sort of causing the horse to do weird things with it's body.

Are there a lot of 12K horses out on the market that are way better than this? I'm not being contentious, I'm just curious.

I am commenting only on the second video. The first one I'm just now watching.

Okay, I watched the 1st video and the horse looks like a saint. He doesn't care about the ride he's getting where the jockey has her hands up to her hips, standing in the stirrups 2 strides out from the jumps, he just keeps trucking around.

If you're looking for a horse to learn on, he looks like he'd be a good one!

gloriginger
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:42 AM
Are there a lot of 12K horses out on the market that are way better than this? I'm not being contentious, I'm just curious.

I think, right now, there are...

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:49 AM
I noticed he swapped leads one stride in front of the fence, and he is kind of sloppy over the smaller fences, loose-kneed.

I think the swapped leads has to do with the riders, both of them, leaning left and right and throwing him off balance. Some horses don't care about this but most do and will swap when there is so much going on in the tack.

I think the quality of canter that is being generated has much to do with the quality of the jump coming out of this horse.

The pointy butt might be an issue.... might just be fitness and weight or it might be something more serious like a pevlic injury.

ashessplashes
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:54 AM
If the horse has show milage is quiet and easy to ride and is sound, why wouldn't 12K be a good price for the horse?

I didn't like the rider on this horse, lost of bouncing around and leaning this way or that and sort of causing the horse to do weird things with it's body.

Okay, I watched the 1st video and the horse looks like a saint. He doesn't care about the ride he's getting where the jockey has her hands up to her hips, standing in the stirrups 2 strides out from the jumps, he just keeps trucking around.

If you're looking for a horse to learn on, he looks like he'd be a good one!

agree, yes, 200% :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
JMO but I don't think you can get the kind of training this horse looks to have, and the mileage, and the ability to tolerate that kind of a ride in a horse with the step and ability to go A at 3' for 12k.

This one, you are paying for a whole lot of training, attitude and safety. If that is your primary goal and you are happy around 2'6", he is worth a look. Kind of a nice school horse type.

If your primary goal is more...you may have to compromise somewhere and the more likely place would be experience-that you can give them. you can't change the physical limits.

Again, JMO but you MIGHT be able to find something in the 15-17k that has the training and the physical package to be half way competitive at 3', just lacks the miles or is not fancy.

kellyb
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
I think he has potential. He seems extremely quiet and can take a joke. So, I like that part. I like the video of him in his stall, he seems like a good citizen.

The things I don't like are mostly things that can be fixed. He just seems kind of big and gangly to me. When he goes around he almost looks ewe necked. I wonder how he would look with 3 months of hill work & really riding him from back to front. I'm not crazy about the way he moves now but with a more muscly topline that might improve.

I dislike his tailset, and he swishes a lot which draws attention to it.

Overall though I like him...just probably not at $12k as he still seems like a project to me (and IMO green-ish AQHA/appendix do not command the same price as the WB's). I guess it just comes down to how much you are willing to spend on a project.

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:39 PM
Horse has no clue what his hind end is supposed to do. he's painfully on the forehand to the point in the first video I thought he was going to fall over!
I think that's why he looks blah over and to the jumps. if he was taken back to square one, taught to rock back, flex his joints and move from his engine, there'd be a nice horse in there.
at this stage of his game I'd say he's worth $3k, without looking at a pedigree.
that said that lower back on him is troublesome.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:48 PM
3K? Really?

I must be completely out of touch with reality!!!

I better start shopping for horses under saddle a little more earnestly so I can compare how my horses are priced!

kellyb
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:58 PM
3K? Really?

I must be completely out of touch with reality!!!

I better start shopping for horses under saddle a little more earnestly so I can compare how my horses are priced!

I agree $3k is way too low. I was thinking more like $8k-$10k.

fordtraktor
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
The part of this horse that is worth $12,000 is not his looks, his movement, or his jump. It's that darned amazing brain he's got. Wow, what a tolerant horse.

OP, think about whether you really need a 3' horse. Because a legit 3' horse to show at the As is going to be a lot more than 12k if it has anything NEAR the brain this horse has. And since you are a rider who self-describes as nervous, I would buy a brain and training instead of looks. He's cute and perfectly serviceable as a 2'6 and maybe 2'9 horse. That may be all you really need. Plus, I think you would have a lot of fun on him, and be able to get back the confidence your previous horse is taking from you. That alone is worth his price tag.

That said, if you like him I would offer 10k or maybe even a little less. It never hurts to ask. Do a good vet check to see if there's any hind end problem.

Duckz
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:12 PM
I like him. He looks willing, safe, he has a lead change, it doesn't look like 3' is a problem. 12k doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I expect good solid flatwork over a few months would improve the quality of his movement.

Personally, I would take this guy and his nice outlook on life over the fancier horse that needs an attitude adjustment. If I'd seen this guy two years ago you might have some competition for him ;) Good luck.

RugBug
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'm not a huge fan. What concerns me:

1. He looks built VERY downhill.

2. Feet look tiny compared to his size

3. He's skinny (part of the reason for that bump on his back). What's he going to be like when he's fed.

4. Ewe necked... I'm would bet he carries himself that way to balance out the downhill build. You can change some of this, but it will always be his tendency. Why not find something built better so you're not constantly fighting?

5. 17h. Unless absolutely necessary, I avoid taller horses. IMO, they just aren't as sound. Most people don't need a 17h...especially one as narrow as this. A shorter, rounder horse would take up as much or more leg.

6. Price. He look like a $6-7k horse to me...in this market.

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
OP, think about whether you really need a 3' horse... And since you are a rider who self-describes as nervous, I would buy a brain and training instead of looks. He's cute and perfectly serviceable as a 2'6 and maybe 2'9 horse. That may be all you really need. Plus, I think you would have a lot of fun on him, and be able to get back the confidence your previous horse is taking from you. That alone is worth his price tag.

That is precisely what I was thinking. Is OP sure she wants to "buy up" to a USEF quality A level 3'/3'3"er on the chance she MAY get there? Or go for something like this that can get over but is better lower and best shown more locally? They do have 2'6" now at many, many big USEF A circuits. Just as much fun and it is the same size and color ribbon with the same logo.

Now, this guy, IMO, is 10 (probably 11 this year), and has obviously been doing what he does for years. I don't see some start over project that is going to radically change and miraculously become a 3'3" A show circuit quality horse.
And why should he? He is fine for what he is and what he knows.

He may be fine for the OP too. She needs to decide that one. I'd think about that seriously-narrow that goal down a little instead of the broad safe and sane confidenc builder right now with an eye for the USEF AAs at 3'3" in the future-for 15k or under.

I guess what would be a better way to put this is do you want to get on and ride what you see in these videos? I'd ride this one in a heartbeat.

Not saying run out and buy it but there are others just like this one in this price range a nickle short of major AA competition but ready to go ride now and be competitive at the other 95% of the shows out there.

Molasses
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:39 PM
Nice gent of guy character-wise i'd guess
But a horse on stilts! Why do you need someguy so tall and if he was more on his forehand his forehead would be making a trench along the ground:lol:

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:47 PM
Well, in all honesty, he is an appendix QH. They like them real level in the topline, some don't care if the rear is engaged and alot of them tend to overemphasize a low head at the expense of everything else.

I am forgiving some of that and, despite his age and mileage, I do think some of that can be schooled out with a little better ride. Doubt the 17h claim but he is a good sized one not getting a whole lot of help balancewise here.

Gee, find myself defending him...not sure I wanted to go there. Just that for what OP needs and the fact he looks close to most of her needs and is easily within what she wanted to spend, he is a possibility.

RugBug
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:01 PM
Well, in all honesty, he is an appendix QH. They like them real level in the topline, some don't care if the rear is engaged and alot of them tend to overemphasize a low head at the expense of everything else.

There's a difference between a low head (which this horse does not have) and being on the forehand. The horse looks so downhill at the withers that it HAS to keep his head up to keep from falling down.

My biggest concerns are the tiny feet on what should be a big horse (he needs quite a bit of weight) and being downhill.

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:12 PM
Just that, when looking on a budget and compared to some of the others OP has asked about, she MIGHT want to go try him if she rethinks her goals a mite about that 3'3" USEF AA potential.

Sometimes it is useful for others to look at these threads and read the responses to learn what is out there and how they may or may not work. Budget constraints mean compromise and it helps all to figure out what they will and will not accept in return for a lower price.

Make no mistake, any money saved on purchase price needs to go to a good PPE on this one and figure he will need some work with that back end.

But you keep getting back to very well broke, safe and sane if he is as he appears. Who know what can be fixed with alot better riding? Or not? but worth a look.

skrgirl
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
I'm not a huge fan. What concerns me:

1. He looks built VERY downhill.

2. Feet look tiny compared to his size

3. He's skinny (part of the reason for that bump on his back). What's he going to be like when he's fed.

4. Ewe necked... I'm would bet he carries himself that way to balance out the downhill build. You can change some of this, but it will always be his tendency. Why not find something built better so you're not constantly fighting?

5. 17h. Unless absolutely necessary, I avoid taller horses. IMO, they just aren't as sound. Most people don't need a 17h...especially one as narrow as this. A shorter, rounder horse would take up as much or more leg.

6. Price. He look like a $6-7k horse to me...in this market.

I agree with all of this. I personally wouldnt buy him. Dont like how he's built, dont like how he travels. Though he may be somewhat fixable with proper training. Do you have the ability to make him go like a true hunter, or do you have the means to pay for a trainer to get him to go like a true hunter? He does seem to have a good mind. The tail thing is going to kill you in the show ring, as will the inverted neck and back.

fordtraktor
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:00 PM
I don't think the horse has particularly tiny feet, nor do I think that matters. I have dealt with quarter horses and TBs for 20 years, and there is little to no correlation between foot size and problems, in my opinion. My tiniest-footed quarter horse was perfectly sound and jumping well into his 20's, and my navicular-by-9 one had nice big feet. I also have a TB with huge, lovely, great feet (described as "the best feet I've ever seen on a TB" by a respected vet at his 4 yr. PPE) that retired at 16 due to navicular and ringbone. My TB with tiny feet is sound as a dollar.

I don't see any "tail thing"? But I didn't watch all of each video, maybe I missed something.

I wonder where people are finding all these perfect-minded, talented, ready to show A circuit-competitive horses for under $15k...usually something's gotta give.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:05 PM
I wonder where people are finding all these perfect-minded, talented, ready to show A circuit-competitive horses for under $15k...usually something's gotta give.

They're not posting about them here on COTH that's for sure.

superpony123
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:08 PM
How tall are you? Do you really need a big horse?

As someone who's recently gone shopping for a 3' horse (moving up from a pony) you need to understand that there is going to be a HUGE difference between what you are riding right now (a 2'6'' horse) and what you think you are looking for (3' horse) .. the 3' horse is *usually* a lot more of what my trainer would call a "REAL" hunter as in there is a lot more to their jump, theres a lot more to their stride, etc. Don't expect a flat jump. Are there plenty of flat jumpers at 3'? sure. Just understand that for the money you are spending, you're probably not going to get an easy ride. I also realized that height didn't bother me as much as conformation and body LENGTH did. Originally, I was looking for a horse under 16 hands. I ended up with a TB who's almost 16.2, but he's got a relatively compact body, just looooong legs. I feel really comfortable on him. But, you have to figure out what you're more comfortable with: a shorter body? a longer body? (probably depends a lot on how YOU are built. I am short, and I have long legs for my height but short upper body, and when i am on a horse that has a very long neck and back, i have a lot of trouble 'keeping up' with the horse especially when it comes to jumping. if you're tall, you probably want something with a longer build, because youre going to feel like you run out of room so to speak when it comes to jumping a shorter backed/neck horse.)

How long are your legs? that horse looks skinny, and when you put some weight on him, will your legs still fit comfortably?

another concern i have is that he's so big. QH's have tiny feet, and that's a lot of weight to be putting on little hooves. I just keep thinking he's going to get sore feet when jumping bigger. QH's are pretty hardy, but they're not machines.

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:09 PM
I don't see any "tail thing"? But I didn't watch all of each video, maybe I missed something.

Naah, he is a little busy with it shifting up in gait and it is set high, way too high for the breed show rail horses but no deal breaker for an average open Hunter. Rider is not exactly sitting quiet and using subtle cues, I might be POd too in his place.

NOTHING like my own mare who can go like a helicopter when HRH does not agree with direction, puts the ears flat back too-and she is an old and fairly successful AA horse and was well more then 15k.
I can't see his feet clearly so have no opinion. Although he has lasted this long in work (assuming that is the case). Must not bother him too much.

There are plenty of things to question on this one, even a few yellow flags that need to be looked into. That's not one of them.

superpony123
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think the horse has particularly tiny feet, nor do I think that matters. I have dealt with quarter horses and TBs for 20 years, and there is little to no correlation between foot size and problems, in my opinion. My tiniest-footed quarter horse was perfectly sound and jumping well into his 20's, and my navicular-by-9 one had nice big feet. I also have a TB with huge, lovely, great feet (described as "the best feet I've ever seen on a TB" by a respected vet at his 4 yr. PPE) that retired at 16 due to navicular and ringbone. My TB with tiny feet is sound as a dollar.

Hoof size is not the only contributing factor in navicular. Its certainly a common cause (rather, how much weight is on top of the hooves), but there are a lot of other factors (shoeing, work load, poor confo--usually downhill, working on poor/hard footing, etc.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:16 PM
another concern i have is that he's so big. QH's have tiny feet, and that's a lot of weight to be putting on little hooves. I just keep thinking he's going to get sore feet when jumping bigger. QH's are pretty hardy, but they're not machines.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization about QHs. What about the Appendix horses out there doing the High A/Os and Grand Prix classes?

superpony123
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
That's a pretty sweeping generalization about QHs. What about the Appendix horses out there doing the High A/Os and Grand Prix classes?

Lol, obviously not ALL qh's have the same feet or conformation. there's an appendix in my barn who jumps 4'. he's actually got huge feet. but we're not talking about other horses, we're talking about the one in the video. to me, his feet look a little small. and he's a big guy. he's also kind of skinny and would look a bit better if he had more weight on him. but that's more weight on his feet.

barka.lounger
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
bar.ka here

super.pony.123

r u a trainer?

is that pro.file picture of urs u?

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
to me, his feet look a little small. and he's a big guy.

Okay, gotcha.
Small feet don't have to be the kiss of death but I agree they don't help.

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
bark.a, u join the messy bunny, fordtraktor and find8 go shop for 3'3" A quality. hor.se for O.P. whostill jump. 2'6" and. nervous needs confident. builder.

Under15k. Lot.s ofthem. Fin.d in hour and brun.g home.

RugBug
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
bar.ka here

super.pony.123

r u a trainer?

Wow barka...I usually find you quite funny...but not like this, being nasty.

If you're going to be nasty...don't hide behind your alter...just say it in your post. ;)

Trees4U
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:55 PM
Looks like some sort of hind end/back problem going on.
S/I ?

If it were me,I would keep looking.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:56 PM
bark.a, u join the messy bunny, fordtraktor and find8 go shop for 3'3" A quality. hor.se for O.P. whostill jump. 2'6" and. nervous needs confident. builder.

Under15k. Lot.s ofthem. Fin.d in hour and brun.g home.

Don't include me in that madness!

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:09 PM
bar.ka here

super.pony.123

r u a trainer?

It's obviously an adult who is posting and the picture is of their adorable child or student. Would be my guess anyways.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:14 PM
I have a really dumb question....

what is

S/I

an abbreviation for?

TBLover
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
S/I = sacro-illiac (I think)

And Superpony123 previously posted that she has just moved up from her pony to a horse, so my guess is that the profile picture is of her. I believe she is also a working student. Not sure why barka was being so snarky to her, don't think she deserved that.

fordtraktor
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hoof size is not the only contributing factor in navicular. Its certainly a common cause (rather, how much weight is on top of the hooves), but there are a lot of other factors (shoeing, work load, poor confo--usually downhill, working on poor/hard footing, etc.

Point well taken, I definitely overstated the case when I said there was no correlation. I just don't think feet the size of this one's are necessarily the kiss of death. Here are some small feet on big quarter horses of the kind I picture when I think "problem":

http://www.coloryourdreamfarm.com/zipssupercowboy.htm

http://tpappaloosas.com/images/Te%20Coolest%20AQHA.jpg

http://www.jlperformancehorses.net/PERPETUALISM.jpg

barka.lounger
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:42 PM
bar.ka here

sin.cere apologies 2 super.pony.123 (hugs)

mu.st be. the moon.phase that got bar.ka out of sorts

fordtractor and findeight u just go shop on.line on my web.site we.sell.u.some.AAquality..horses.we.stole.out.of.s omeone.elses.pasture.dirt.cheap.dot.dot and u pay by pay.pal. got all the horses u need there for 4 easy pay.ments of 199.99

MaryKay
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:44 PM
S/I = sacro-illiac (I think)

Not sure why barka was being so snarky to her, don't think she deserved that.

What did I miss? I didn't think barka was being snarky at all. Interesting how a post can be so differently intrepreted.

fordtraktor
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:50 PM
bar.ka u send gra.nd prix 2 me

i fed ex u go.ld bar.

LookinSouth
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:50 PM
Personally, I don't care for this horse. Seems kind and safe enough but moves very funky behind at the trot, it almost reminds me of the way some Arabs move. I don't think he has the greatest conformation either.

Regardless of whether or not the horse can do 3ft at the A's, perhaps think about getting something younger, less miles, but is quiet and predictable maybe in the 6-8k range? Then spend the extra money in your budget putting the horse in training with a good pro for a bit.

At any rate I think you could do better than this horse. Have you tried shopping in other disciplines? Sometimes I see packer type Event horses for sale that could do reasonably well in the lower level hunters for quite a bit cheaper than many h/j's sell for.

barka.lounger
Feb. 25, 2010, 05:00 PM
bar.ka here

Mar.yk.ay u so ni.ce give bar.ka benny.fit of dou.bt.

What did I miss? I didn't think barka was being snarky at all. Interesting how a post can be so differently intrepreted.

i fed ex u go.ld bar.

bar.ka do not dis.close locat.ion 2 stran.ger

LSM1212
Feb. 25, 2010, 05:44 PM

i fed ex u go.ld bar.

Okay, I just spit water on my keyboard! I hope it doesn't fry like TR's did. :)

Montanas_Girl
Feb. 25, 2010, 05:54 PM
I think he's worth looking at. He does seem very kind and quiet. I would definitely have an extensive PPE done if you like him - his conformation and way of going screams "navicular" to me.

His tail carriage looks like horses I've seen who've had their tails blocked in the past (not by me!).

Carol Ames
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:16 PM
first, he is very attractive :yes:, seems schooled; liked the changes on the straight:cool:;) line; unfortunately, his jumping :sadsmile: is poor and would not pin at most schooling shows:no: in addition there is something wrong with his hind end;); I would have a chiropractic vet check him out; I'm curious, did he get his "jumpers bump" after getting caught on a fence or door:eek:?

tidy rabbit
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:18 PM
Okay, I just spit water on my keyboard! I hope it doesn't fry like TR's did. :)

I've got the new keyboard! But I need an adapter for my switch. DOH. I plan to buy the silly 2 dollar part this weekend!

Alianna
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:21 PM
He looks lame in the hindquarters to me and his neck set is terrible too...like he is ewe necked. The rider is not helping him at all and his movement isn't very good. For $12,000 you can buy three of him....take your money elsewhere.

Carol Ames
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:34 PM
He is really no better at 3 feet:no: I saw one good fence which, got a very professional ride to it:yes:; jumping does not appear to be "his thing:no:/"The biggest stopper is, that he appears to "make a noise":eek:

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:44 PM
For $12,000 you can buy three of him...

I buy all 3. need help with shipping. send 1500usd to my PO box. Plz provide banking information so i can wire you funds.

But, seriously folks, where can you find 4k horses that have actual show mileage around 2'6" courses (even the friendly ones), have lead changes, are AA quality and take jokes from the rider like this one does?

Like I said, yellow flags here that need to be resolved and not the best in the west and a nickle short of AA quality at 3'+. But it is not priced as best in the west, east, south or Canada either or as a competitive 3' er on the elite level.

But of you have a 4k 2'6" proven quiet and sensible type with ability to build confidence for the admittedly timid OP and take her to a USEF A rated circuit at Tampa at 3'3" and be halfway competitive????

PUHLEEZE post links and videos. Seriously, if you got AA quality, alot of mileage in real shows over real fences and that good a mind? I want to see it for under 10k. Post them.

And, Tidy, when you were asking what makes a school horse? Look at something like this. Yeah, too big and some questions in backend that need to be answered. But ballpark it's a good starting example.

And, hey, for all I know it's been standing in a stall dead lame for 3 years. That is up to OP to investigate. Off the video, it is a possibility for locals and confidence bulding at 2'6" and a little friendly 3' to gain confidence and learn.

Honestly, as an Adult? I'd sacrifice some physical limitations for a MIND and my safety plus the abilty to advance me. That is up to the vet and something I don't know.

Hey, Catomine? Can you update us when you go look at this one? Like I said, may be dead lame and a real joke. Or what the video hints at, a real nice packer to learn on and have fun with that needs a little maintainance the lower purchase price will allow.

Keep us in the loop.

RugBug
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:05 PM
[b]are AA quality [/b[ and take jokes from the rider like this one does?

Since when did this horse become AA quality? Doesn't look like it to me. could probably do fine locally, but AA? Not so sure (of course unless the comp that day is mediocre. Any horse can show AA, but the quality to be successful?)

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:28 PM
Since when did this horse become AA quality? Doesn't look like it to me. could probably do fine locally, but AA? Not so sure (of course unless the comp that day is mediocre. Any horse can show AA, but the quality to be successful?)

No, it most certainly is not. OP stated she wanted to eventually do USEF AA on a good circuit at 3' 3'3". IMO this is a safe 2'6'er that can get over 3' in a lesson. But OP also stated she is doing 2'6" to 2'9" right now and is not that confident.

But others have posted she can get everything she wants far less then the price on this one and be safe, confident and go do the AAs. Or that this high mileage 11 year old working most of it's life can be restarted and emerge 1 3' star on the elite level.

I don't think so any more then you do.

Question is could this horse suit this poster and what she is now doing in her price range right now?

I am just saying maybe. And calling all those who say you can get safe and sane jumping around 2'6" right now with verifiable show mileage a timid rider can take AA and be competitive at 3'/3'3" for 4 or 5k to prove it.

NO prospects either. Broke-as in trained, not lame- and well proven only.
At my stage of life, I want safe and I will take some step and conformation issues along witn MANAGEABLE soundness problems.

I did with my good mare-and she is/was a tail wringing byatch, hock issues and well more then 4k...or even 15k.

Pick and chose or go 6 figures. What is your trade off? I want safe.

RugBug
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:44 PM
Search parameters = Mare, Gelding $4k or less, Hunter.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1502022&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1517909&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1519194&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1519573&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1517626&share_this=Y (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDut-gGF9ig)

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1518754&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1279938&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1428343&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1520895&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1519570&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1491275&share_this=Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxlVXAbLTKM&feature=related

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1486259&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1499841&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1516199&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1514646&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1479879&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1511472&share_this=Y

Just sayin'.

(Most of those look to be nice local quality in the very least. )

F8: I agree that you're not going to find an AA quality, safe, sane horse for $4k. but I think you can easily (as results above suggest...that was just the first page) find something as nice as this one posted for $4k. I love the little paint horse in the first link.

findeight
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:58 PM
RB, how many of these are near OP and don't require and expensive shopping trip, overnight accomodatations and shipping?

Not to argue...and I am off for the night after this...but what about that first example you linked to, the bald faced one, screams sound and safe at 2'6" now and a confidence builder for OP plus FUTURE AA competitive at 3' and 3'3" at a major USEF AA show?

It's 15 hands, in Kansas and they list barrel racing as a skill set.

The second one is listed at $1 with trail riding and 4h the lead skills and it's 4 or 5 states away. Kind of the same questionable back end as this black horse and nowhere near as well kept.

Ummm...look for those currently jumping courses at 2'6" (even the friendly kind of 2'6") with show miles at that and videos to show that skill set within a days drive of OP. Quality, scope and movement to go AA shows at 3'/ 3'3"-that would be top 5 to 10% of horses nationwide.

They ARE out there but unconvinced you can go show a finished horse with confidence tomorrow at 2'6" and go AA anytime soon...or ever for under 10k.

Survivor, Idol results, Gordon Ramsey and Project Runway...Popcorn time. Decide whether to watch Survivor and tape Idol or vice versa...??? Hmmm...I will watch Survivor.

Oh, Sh*t. Ladies Gold Medal HOCKEY too???? I need to unscrew my best box of wine to decide that.

Night Y'all...and nice we got some back and forth discussion going again after quite awhile.

USA, USA, USA. Did you know the Ladies coach was on the "do you believe in miracles" Lake Placid gold medal team. Go watch.

MintHillFarm
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
I would go ride him and see what you feel when you are on him.

I liked him well enough, looks fun to ride and appears like a good guy. Hard to say if he could do the 3' A/As...If you fall in love, then make a lower offer. Getting good mileage at the 2'6 - 2'9" for awhile on him would be well worth it for your confidence.

And what they ask for price wise and what they will get are 2 different things. To me he is in the $8-10k range.

What I was most offended by was all the metal jump cups just hanging on the standards! Having had an injury in the back due to an empty jump cup that was a hair's short of a being a really serious situation, I would never leave cups up like that. Anyway, sorry to get off topic! Let us know how it goes, please!

CoolMeadows
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
I don't like his build, his jump or his way of going but he can take a joke and is a steady eddie for sure. If you're looking for safe and quiet, get along with him and like his ride, then go for it.

I'd vet the snot out of him, and have the vet really listen to him. Sounds like he maybe makes a noise. Not an issue you want in the hunter ring...

EqTrainer
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
I don't like his build, his jump or his way of going but he can take a joke and is a steady eddie for sure. If you're looking for safe and quiet, get along with him and like his ride, then go for it.

I'd vet the snot out of him, and have the vet really listen to him. Sounds like he maybe makes a noise. Not an issue you want in the hunter ring...

Ditto. I was going to type "vet the snot out of him" but CM did it for me!

Gry2Yng
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:54 PM
Wow! That brand is hideous. Going to watch the rest of the video now.

LookinSouth
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:58 PM
Ummm...look for those currently jumping courses at 2'6" (even the friendly kind of 2'6") with show miles at that and videos to show that skill set within a days drive of OP. Quality, scope and movement to go AA shows at 3'/ 3'3"-that would be top 5 to 10% of horses nationwide.

There are number of horses here that are in her price range, in her region and appear to be FAR nicer than the horse she posted..... Regardless of how "saintly" this horse appears to be I think it would be well worth shopping around some more. I doubt he's going anywhere soon..

http://www.bigeq.com/search_listing.php

Gry2Yng
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:05 PM
The part of this horse that is worth $12,000 is not his looks, his movement, or his jump. It's that darned amazing brain he's got. Wow, what a tolerant horse.

OP, think about whether you really need a 3' horse. Because a legit 3' horse to show at the As is going to be a lot more than 12k if it has anything NEAR the brain this horse has. And since you are a rider who self-describes as nervous, I would buy a brain and training instead of looks. He's cute and perfectly serviceable as a 2'6 and maybe 2'9 horse. That may be all you really need. Plus, I think you would have a lot of fun on him, and be able to get back the confidence your previous horse is taking from you. That alone is worth his price tag.

That said, if you like him I would offer 10k or maybe even a little less. It never hurts to ask. Do a good vet check to see if there's any hind end problem.

This. I needed to watch the second video tho. Didn't see much I liked in the first other than a quiet mind. Agree with PP who said "vet the snot out of him". Feeling is something isn't right behind and if it is "right". Horse is very limited.

Gry2Yng
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:38 PM
Oh, Sh*t. Ladies Gold Medal HOCKEY too???? I need to unscrew my best box of wine to decide that.

Night Y'all...and nice we got some back and forth discussion going again after quite awhile.

LOL! I really do love these threads. I could watch sale videos and discuss/read discussion on horses all evening. I guess that is what I do. :D

Duckz
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:08 PM
Search parameters = Mare, Gelding $4k or less, Hunter.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1502022&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1517909&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1519194&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1519573&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1517626&share_this=Y (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDut-gGF9ig)

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1518754&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1279938&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1428343&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1520895&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1519570&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1491275&share_this=Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxlVXAbLTKM&feature=related

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1486259&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1499841&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1516199&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1514646&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1479879&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1511472&share_this=Y

Just sayin'.

(Most of those look to be nice local quality in the very least. )

F8: I agree that you're not going to find an AA quality, safe, sane horse for $4k. but I think you can easily (as results above suggest...that was just the first page) find something as nice as this one posted for $4k. I love the little paint horse in the first link.

One of these is being marketed by my trainer friend...the horse is quite green, no show miles, and not at all suited for a timid rider. Some of these you listed (like the paint) do appear to be solid citizens, but I would argue that most of them are priced below 4k for a reason.

I agree with findeight 100% - I don't think this horse is a steal for 12k, but I also think he's worth a look and could be a great match for the OP. Tall, sane, honest, lead change, and (presumably) sound goes a long way in my book.

ETA: agree with whoever said to vet the snot out of him ;)

Cloverbarley
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:53 PM
Walk On Top

1999 Appendix QH gelding (IM Surrounded x Lucky J Dean)
Reserve Champion Non-TB Yearling Devon 2000
Grand Champion MHSA Yearling Futurity
Reserve Champion Middleburg Classic 2000
Top 10 Royal Wire 2 year old Futurity 2001 Quarter Horse Congress

Then what happened?

Carol Ames
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:24 AM
way better than this? I'm not being contentious, I'm just curious.yes:yes:

If you're looking for a horse to learn on, he looks like he'd be a good one

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:56 AM
Whoaa who said anything about USEF AA 3'3''? :eek:I pretty much want to do local A's- if Tampa and Venice are USEF AA then I didn't realize that- my barn just goes to those shows as well as the locals, and I figured if I pulled myself together enough over time I could have a shot too.

Sorry- I feel like an idiot now!! I know that horse won't be at AA's standing a chance at 3'3''. I probably didn't explain myself very well but there are a two horses at my barn who could be doing AA 3', but I've been picky because they are small. (Both are 15.3 and I am 5'5'', weigh 160 with really long legs and no torso). But they are both nice imported wb's, with substantial bone for their size. neither are easy rides but worth the effort. I just always want to 'fit' my horse, which is why I've held off.

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:00 AM
Walk On Top

1999 Appendix QH gelding (IM Surrounded x Lucky J Dean)
Reserve Champion Non-TB Yearling Devon 2000
Grand Champion MHSA Yearling Futurity
Reserve Champion Middleburg Classic 2000
Top 10 Royal Wire 2 year old Futurity 2001 Quarter Horse Congress

Then what happened?

Exactly- the barn he was at was where I was initially trying another horse- so I thought, what the heck, they want to show him to me, so I went with it.

But- (I didn't even bother to ask as when I saw him he was soo slinky and very tall and narrow IRL) what happened for him to have done nothing since? He was super skinny and had scars like somebody beat him with a lash- he wasn't afraid of people, just a bit worried on the ground. He had a VERY weak hind end, looked even stiffer than in the video- I wasn't interested. I didn't want to waste her time by even trying to ride him.

Well, this time- all you naysayers where right!

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:08 AM
How tall are you? Do you really need a big horse?

As someone who's recently gone shopping for a 3' horse (moving up from a pony) you need to understand that there is going to be a HUGE difference between what you are riding right now (a 2'6'' horse) and what you think you are looking for (3' horse) .. the 3' horse is *usually* a lot more of what my trainer would call a "REAL" hunter as in there is a lot more to their jump, theres a lot more to their stride, etc. Don't expect a flat jump. Are there plenty of flat jumpers at 3'? sure. Just understand that for the money you are spending, you're probably not going to get an easy ride. I also realized that height didn't bother me as much as conformation and body LENGTH did. Originally, I was looking for a horse under 16 hands. I ended up with a TB who's almost 16.2, but he's got a relatively compact body, just looooong legs. I feel really comfortable on him. But, you have to figure out what you're more comfortable with: a shorter body? a longer body? (probably depends a lot on how YOU are built. I am short, and I have long legs for my height but short upper body, and when i am on a horse that has a very long neck and back, i have a lot of trouble 'keeping up' with the horse especially when it comes to jumping. if you're tall, you probably want something with a longer build, because youre going to feel like you run out of room so to speak when it comes to jumping a shorter backed/neck horse.)

How long are your legs? that horse looks skinny, and when you put some weight on him, will your legs still fit comfortably?

Ohh no, my horse now isn't a 2'6 horse- he did 3'3'' at Lexington, Ohio, Tampa, and Virginia. He definitely has the scope, but it's taken me a while to figure his sensitive self out. I love him. Super round jump, daisy cutter trot, lovely canter that can make it down the lines like a bigger horse (he's barely 16hh). He had to be rehabbed for something hock related, and came back down here from up north since the daughter lost interest. The most I would want to do with him would be 3' and I'd be totally fine with that ;) But his owner (who doesn't ride him, ever, btw), won't sell.

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:14 AM

I thought she/he was being snarky to me. Whatever. They can say my spec's are unrealistic without being childish and rude- doesn't help matters much! ;)

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:17 AM
He is really no better at 3 feet:no: I saw one good fence which, got a very professional ride to it:yes:; jumping does not appear to be "his thing:no:/"The biggest stopper is, that he appears to "make a noise":eek:

Yup- he's a slight roarer

altjaeger
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:45 AM
Well, I vowed when I buy a horse to *never* get a roarer -- just too annoying.

Also, I just looked at the 2nd video. I swear trainers seem to have no idea of jump heights. I agree with Cloverbarley, those are 2'6" jumps. I think for $12,000, you should be able to get something more like the one I posted on under "What do you think of this one?".

And, I agree, horse critique posts are fun, so keep 'em coming!

MintHillFarm
Feb. 26, 2010, 07:34 AM
Yup- he's a slight roarer

That is an unsoundness and would be penalized in the hunters.

If that is the case, but you fell in love with him after riding, would definitly have him scoped to see what is causing it. If you had to have him, I would make a low offer.

findeight
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
With these that look halfway suitable on a video, you never know until you go look.

This one didn't pass muster in person. But was still worth taking a look at.

The trick is sorting out the ones that really waste your time before you waste time looking, like the obvious lame ones or really unsuitable.

This is kind of fun in such crappy weather.

OP now has clearly added more information to help narrow her search. That helps.

RugBug
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:13 PM
With these that look halfway suitable on a video, you never know until you go look.

I agree...which is why the horse Duckz mentioned made my list. I was scanning the descriptions and maybe watching a video. I'm sure a number of unsuitable horses made it to my post...but the point of that post was that there are A LOT of horses that could meed Catomine's criteria for a lot less than $12k. A nice local horse doesn't need to cost that much, IMO (and I live in an expensive area...and just purchased a 5 figure horse for local stuff...but he does have "A" potential and high resale value because of his temperament and way of going. He also vetting with flying colors.)

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
No, it most certainly is not. OP stated she wanted to eventually do USEF AA on a good circuit at 3' 3'3".

Excuse me?? I did NOT say that- I said my LOFTIEST goals were local A's. I never ever mentioned anything about USEF AA!!!!!!!!!!! Read the OP before putting words in my mouth. I am not that clueless. I know that local shows are where I will probably always be, unless somehow I come across the winning lottery ticket and can buy something to carry me up.

Thanks.

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:29 PM
That is an unsoundness and would be penalized in the hunters.

If that is the case, but you fell in love with him after riding, would definitly have him scoped to see what is causing it. If you had to have him, I would make a low offer.

He definitely moved a lot shorter than in the video as well. He just looked totally out of shape- which is ok, but not for the price.

fordtraktor
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
Excuse me?? I did NOT say that- I said my LOFTIEST goals were local A's. I never ever mentioned anything about USEF AA!!!!!!!!!!! Read the OP before putting words in my mouth. I am not that clueless. I know that local shows are where I will probably always be, unless somehow I come across the winning lottery ticket and can buy something to carry me up.

Thanks.

Tampa was a major A back when I was competing, everyone went there after WEF.

You did say you wanted to do 3' or 3'3. Even if your "loftiest goal," it is still a goal (which to me indicates you are trying to do it eventually).

Anyway, sorry the horse didn't work out, and hope you find something you like. Happy horse hunting!

findeight
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
...I want something to do up to 3'-3'3'' with... my loftiest goals are just local A shows, maybe Tampa or Venice.

Sorry I misunderstood your meaning.

ponies123
Feb. 26, 2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks.

Wow is all I can say to this comment. Findeight has given you a lot of good replies and information, most people on this thread have, so I don't understand why you're taking your ignorance/misunderstanding out on her. Tampa IS an AA rated show. Just because you didn't know that doesn't mean findeight was putting words in your mouth...wow, this post really irked me although I have no dog in the fight.

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
Wow is all I can say to this comment. Findeight has given you a lot of good replies and information, most people on this thread have, so I don't understand why you're taking your ignorance/misunderstanding out on her. Tampa IS an AA rated show. Just because you didn't know that doesn't mean findeight was putting words in your mouth...wow, this post really irked me although I have no dog in the fight.

Sorry- I was wondering if that maybe was where she started saying AA, that Tampa was one. My mistake:no:

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 02:48 PM
Sorry I misunderstood your meaning.

It's ok, I apologize for overreacting. I think my thread has done more harm than good! I shouldn't have mentioned Tampa- I really don't know the circuit down here, or the competition. I am very ignorant to showing period, I've just done local shows up north, as I was never consistent with riding, nor did I have any consistency with a horse of my own either. Some of the horses at my barn aren't super fancy but they and their riders have pinned at Tampa, which I why I thought it could be in my scope too. Did not know it was AA.

Now that I've graduated college and have a normal job and can afford something and have developed more as a rider- I would like to do shows that are a higher level than just schooling.

Again, I apologize for kind of losing it- I guess I thought it would be easier to find something:cry:

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
PS: I have also decided to be more realistic in my 'requirements' for my price range. (I really don't want to spend more than 20k). I have a good trainer so maybe finding a quiet greenie who can tolerate an Am, she can work him over fences for me for a few months and get him comfortable with himself for me to start schooling him over courses as well. I'm in no rush to move up- just want something I am not going to want to sell in 3 years.

Here is a horse I've been talking to the owner about. Says he's quiet enough for an amateur working with a trainer, has been started over fences. Doesn't look like he loves dressage, or it could just be his newness- I think he's had like, 90 days under saddle thus far. Maybe though, he wouldl be wasted on me at 2'9''-3'. Who knows. I'm wondering why they only want 14k? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SWRR5QdJg

superpony123
Feb. 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
bar.ka here

super.pony.123

r u a trainer?

am I a trainer? :lol::lol::lol: NO!

is that profile picture mine? Yes.

However I find myself honored to have comments from barka.lounger made towards me, no matter how snarky ;)

RugBug
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:09 PM
Here is a horse I've been talking to the owner about. Says he's quiet enough for an amateur working with a trainer, has been started over fences. Doesn't look like he loves dressage, or it could just be his newness- I think he's had like, 90 days under saddle thus far. Maybe though, he wouldl be wasted on me at 2'9''-3'. Who knows. I'm wondering why they only want 14k? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SWRR5QdJg

I wouldn't ever worry about wasting a horse. Horse has no idea of its potential, so why should it matter to you.

I like this guy...but remember, quiet for a dressage rider is different than quiet for a hunter. Dressage babies are usually more micromanaged from the beginning. I personally wouldn't want my 90 days under saddle horse being asked for that much contact. It just seems so wrong to me. And when you let go of their face, they sometimes can't figure out what to do with themselves...or figure they finally get to play a bit.

That said...I like him...even though he seems large. You seem stuck on very tall horses...so I'll stop hounding my point after this, but it's highly unlikely you need that large of a horse. My 5'2" friend was standing next to my 16.2 narrow TB last night and kept commenting on how huge he was. She's right...he is tall...and he's not nearly the height you're looking at (BTW, I'm 5'7" and weigh more than 160 :winkgrin:...I look fine on my narrow boy).

Go ride this guy. See how you feel. If you don't feel comfortable from the get go, walk away. I've never seen the 'with training I'll be able to ride him' work out very well. And don't forget, you're looking at 2 years to get him confirmed and "trained" properly.

rabicon
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:20 PM
I like him but agree with rugbug. Quiet for a dressage rider is different than quiet for a hunter rider. With that said I really like the one I linked to your other post. He is already jumping and if the price is in your range he would be nice to look at. :yes:

barka.lounger
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:22 PM
am I a trainer? :lol::lol::lol: NO!

is that profile picture mine? Yes.

However I find myself honored to have comments from barka.lounger made towards me, no matter how snarky ;)

bar.ka here

u r ador.able

i tra.in u for free

u come he.re. i fi.nd u horse ri.ght size and pa.ck u around 2 the shows wit me.

fordtraktor
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:23 PM

He is much more beautiful but I cannot recommend a horse this young for someone who has any predisposition for nerves at all. You are so much better off buying something that already knows its job over fences and that you can go out and have fun on now, not after you pay the trainer to ride it for a few years.

This horse looks like he's got a buck in there somewhere. He is way too flexed but at the same time doesn't accept contact. He is not on the bit, he's behind it. That is very hard to untrain (and very undesirable for a hunter). He is very, very green. Watch his rider posting him into the canter.

He won't be showing for at least a year, maybe more, and that's if he outgrows the attitude.

rabicon
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:33 PM
Here is the guy I like, he is 3/4 tb but has that 1/4 qh. He is nice and seems very sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5KVZ4XeBVs

Heres another, little flat but so gymnastics would help that. Cute nice guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhodARgLfbs&feature=related

very nice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_yhERd124c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oTYUlB9tU&feature=related

http://www.ocalashowstables.com/Hunters.html
look at big 16.0Hmare on here and big and easy

tidy rabbit
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
Here is the guy I like, he is 3/4 tb but has that 1/4 qh. He is nice and seems very sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5KVZ4XeBVs

But this horse is priced at 20K in the video. :(

rabicon
Feb. 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
Didn't see the price but op said 20K and under, I'm sure if she offered 16 they'd probably take it in this market. I think he is one that is worth it by the video.

JGHIRETIRE
Feb. 26, 2010, 04:26 PM
I like the third horse - he looks very quiet but he does tend to get behind the bit. In some of the video it looks like the rider has quite a bit of tension on the reins - in others to little.
It is different riding hunters than dressage - he is trying.
I would definately look at him twice -maybe not 3 times but definately twice.
I swear it's getting harder to find a smaller horse - don't know what they feed them but we don't all need giraffes!!

findeight
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:14 PM
Catomine, never worry about little dust ups on here, it happens, I don't take them personally and it's hard when you are just reading to get meaning sometimes.

Ehhh...you'd be happer with something already jumping. If it's never jumped, you have no idea if it can or cannot or if it will accept the training and not turn into an idiot or go dead lame on you. Does not need to have jumped alot but enough you don't have to spend 12k in training costs to get it to where you can ride it.

Fact you should get something you can ride now, that way you will know you can. It can be a little Green but not so much you cannot take lessons on it for 6 months or something. You need a horse for you, not an income stream for your trainer;).

That Dressage gelding is probably 14k because he is not going to be a top level horse yet will need a pretty good rider-and they usually want top level horses. Plus, right now he can't do anything else so that's a fair price. Somebody will want him.

Way back I recall saying that for 15k, you have enough to look at some decently started horses and you don't need the AA fancy schmantzy so don't have to go waaaay Green to afford it.

Be patient. Every one you go look at can teach you something...sometimes good, sometimes bad. But you never know until you go see.

gloriginger
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:19 PM
Ehhh...you'd be happer with something already jumping. If it's never jumped, you have no idea if it can or cannot or if it will accept the training and not turn into an idiot or go dead lame on you. Does not need to have jumped alot but enough you don't have to spend 12k in training costs to get it to where you can ride it.

Fact you should get something you can ride now, that way you will know you can. It can be a little Green but not so much you cannot take lessons on it for 6 months or something. You need a horse for you, not an income stream for your trainer;).

That Dressage gelding is probably 14k because he is not going to be a top level horse yet will need a pretty good rider-and they usually want top level horses. Plus, right now he can't do anything else so that's a fair price. Somebody will want him.

Way back I recall saying that for 15k, you have enough to look at some decently started horses and you don't need the AA fancy schmantzy so don't have to go waaaay Green to afford it.

Be patient. Every one you go look at can teach you something...sometimes good, sometimes bad. But you never know until you go see.

this is execellent advice...never ever buy a horse on its potential. Buy the right horse for you for right now. A lot can happen in a year, in two years, in three years. And if you buy a horse that might be able to do what you want with some training- you will most likely spend way more $ in the long run, and still not end up with the horse you want.

JGHIRETIRE
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:29 PM
Fact you should get something you can ride now, that way you will know you can. It can be a little Green but not so much you cannot take lessons on it for 6 months or something. You need a horse for you, not an income stream for your trainer

I so second this!!!

superpony123
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:36 PM
bar.ka here

u r ador.able

i tra.in u for free

u come he.re. i fi.nd u horse ri.ght size and pa.ck u around 2 the shows wit me.

i will pay you with money wiring and you will train me from cell phone outside of ring and make me a grand prix rider. this is a good idea. they don't have enough horses here in nigeria for me to do grand prix with!

KaraAD
Feb. 26, 2010, 06:09 PM
I guess it depends where you are located but I think $12k for this horse is a good deal (assuming he passes vet check). He looks like a good solid citizen with a kind willing attitude and auto changes that will clearly pack a rider around a 2'6" course. At 10, he is a good age (not too old). I wouldn't really even expect all of that for $12k but again, I think it depends on your area.
Also, how big is he? One post says 17hh but I didn't see that anywhere. Big is definately "in" and usually increase the price.

It's hard to tell from the videos without knowing how the lines are set but it looked liked in the first video the holding 6 was not very holding but the jumps in that video are very small and again I don't know how the lines are set. Depending on his stride, he could probably do 3'. I agree that he is not going to win in good company but depending on what your "local" A shows are like, the company there may not be that good. He might suit your purposes very well and he seems like he would make a great partner/ friend

Catomine
Feb. 26, 2010, 07:16 PM
I like him but agree with rugbug. Quiet for a dressage rider is different than quiet for a hunter rider. With that said I really like the one I linked to your other post. He is already jumping and if the price is in your range he would be nice to look at. :yes:

Thanks to both- I agree, it's a whole different world when you put jumps in front of a horse. I'd bring my trainer to try this one first.

ponies123
Feb. 26, 2010, 07:42 PM
Question - is your trainer searching for horses along with you, or just going along to see the ones you find? I think that if you utilized your trainers connections (assuming she has them) and allowed her to look for you, you could probably narrow down the choices much more efficiently. You're paying her for her eye after all, and while you may be able to look and see what horse is pretty or looks like it MIGHT have what you're looking for, you would probably spend much less time looking at poor candidates on youtube and such.

Gry2Yng
Feb. 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
i will pay you with money wiring and you will train me from cell phone outside of ring and make me a grand prix rider. this is a good idea. they don't have enough horses here in nigeria for me to do grand prix with!

OMG! LOL! good on you superpony for having a sense of humor. It will serve you well, with horses and in life. :D :cool:

LookinSouth
Feb. 27, 2010, 10:48 AM

When I mentioned awhile back maybe looking at something younger but super quiet, maybe needs some more miles I was thinking more along the lines of Horses that really appear to be kick along, hunter quiet that have been in training with H/J pros up to this point. I think there are alot of NICE horses like this out there for fairly cheap money.Most of these dont' have videos so it's hard to say but I think they look more "huntery" and quiet than the dressage horse.

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-931071.html

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-987270.html

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-982552.html

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-739847.html

CoolMeadows
Feb. 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
I like the first one that LookinSouth posted. He sounds like just what the OP's looking for. That jump could be tidied up a little but that's no biggie.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
I like the first one that LookinSouth posted. He sounds like just what the OP's looking for. That jump could be tidied up a little but that's no biggie.

Ya he's a cute horse, but look at that picture with the rider with the pink tank. Doesn't look like a necessarily "easy" ride.

The rider's arms look like they are bulging, the hands seems really really tense and the horse's mouth is gaping. Looks like a ride that would take a lot of strength; but it's just a moment in time right?

And you don't know until you see the horse, but I wouldn't have put that picture in a sales ad.

Catomine
Feb. 27, 2010, 09:25 PM
When I mentioned awhile back maybe looking at something younger but super quiet, maybe needs some more miles I was thinking more along the lines of Horses that really appear to be kick along, hunter quiet that have been in training with H/J pros up to this point. I think there are alot of NICE horses like this out there for fairly cheap money.Most of these dont' have videos so it's hard to say but I think they look more "huntery" and quiet than the dressage horse.

Thanks!! I don't know how the hell I missed the first one- I thought I'd scoured equine.com from top to bottom! I really appreciate you posting these!

Catomine
Feb. 27, 2010, 09:27 PM
Ya he's a cute horse, but look at that picture with the rider with the pink tank. Doesn't look like a necessarily "easy" ride.

The rider's arms look like they are bulging, the hands seems really really tense and the horse's mouth is gaping. Looks like a ride that would take a lot of strength; but it's just a moment in time right?

And you don't know until you see the horse, but I wouldn't have put that picture in a sales ad.

He could be hard to 'package up' - he is big/long. I don't mind having to work for it, as long as he doesn't constantly pull more down in front of the vertical all the time.

Catomine
Feb. 27, 2010, 09:30 PM

Yea- in the pictures it looks like all the riders got in front of his shoulders and ahead of him over the jump which could be the reason his legs are 'loose'- but nothing extreme that would put me off- especially for his price. If he is as good as they say- he's worth every penny!

LookinSouth
Feb. 27, 2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks!! I don't know how the hell I missed the first one- I thought I'd scoured equine.com from top to bottom! I really appreciate you posting these!

Your welcome! I will be interested to hear about whatever horse ends up working out for you. Good luck!

findeight
Feb. 28, 2010, 03:12 PM

Might want to go look at that first one, keeping assorted yellow flags in mind (they all have them, nothing is perfect).

I found no USEF record of a horse with that name, you might ask about what name he showed under when he did the Pre Green and Adult at A shows. Even if he did not place, they would have a # for him, nothing comes up. Check that before you go look.

I don't see the others as suitable for various reasons.

lyndaelyzoo
Feb. 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
Here are some horses I found online that I really like (with reasonable prices) that you might want to check out:
1. http://http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23767&UserID=9909 (http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23767&UserID=9909)
2. http://http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23284&UserID=9677 (http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23284&UserID=9677)
3. http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=18554&UserID=5790

Catomine
Feb. 28, 2010, 05:33 PM
Might want to go look at that first one, keeping assorted yellow flags in mind (they all have them, nothing is perfect).

I found no USEF record of a horse with that name, you might ask about what name he showed under when he did the Pre Green and Adult at A shows. Even if he did not place, they would have a # for him, nothing comes up. Check that before you go look.

I don't see the others as suitable for various reasons.

Ive seen North Star while I was at his barn checking out another horse- his movement is less than desirable (he is very 'spidery', kind of crawls over the ground- and has a super short croup- but he has the cutest personality and softest coat that can almost make up for it- ;)

Catomine
Feb. 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
Here are some horses I found online that I really like (with reasonable prices) that you might want to check out:
1. http://http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23767&UserID=9909 (http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23767&UserID=9909)
2. http://http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23284&UserID=9677 (http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=23284&UserID=9677)
3. http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=18554&UserID=5790

Everyone on here seems to like Native Relic- there have probably been 5 posts suggesting him so far- maybe it's a sign I should drive up there and check him out!

Catomine
Feb. 28, 2010, 05:47 PM
Your welcome! I will be interested to hear about whatever horse ends up working out for you. Good luck!

Of course! ONCE I ever find one- I will post what I found, everyone's been very helpful. :)

lyndaelyzoo
Feb. 28, 2010, 08:54 PM
I am having too much fun with this, but found some others that you might want to check out:

1. http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-980858.html

2. http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-896681.html

southern
Mar. 1, 2010, 12:07 PM
Weren't you going to try a palomino WB gelding? If I am remembering correctly, there was a youtube video of the horse being ridden in a lesson by a child. I was just wondering if you ever got to try him. I watched the video and thought he looked very sweet. I was just curious if he was sweet as he seemed on the video. I apolgize in advance if you have already posted an update on him and I missed it.

Duckz
Mar. 1, 2010, 12:47 PM
I am having too much fun with this, but found some others that you might want to check out:

1. http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-980858.html

2. http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-896681.html

Loooooove the first one! :drool:

JGHIRETIRE
Mar. 1, 2010, 04:18 PM
Duckz: Love the first one too!!
Is it just me or does the 2nd one look like it's going downhill?

lyndaelyzoo
Mar. 1, 2010, 04:42 PM
I know... I love that first horse, Fuerst Blue. She looks like the perfect amateur horse. If I had the money I would buy her myself. The second one does look like she's on the forehand, but maybe its just how she is being ridden with no contact.