PDA

View Full Version : Clipping when shedding

Foxhall
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
I have a TB whom I never got around to clipping earlier in the winter. He isn't super furry, but he has been getting really hot lately after I ride him. He is also for sale, with a few prospective buyers coming in the next couple weeks, so he needs to look nice and presentable. His coat has already started shedding, would it be really bad if I clipped him while he was shedding? Would the hair grow back funny? What are the rules on clipping while shedding?

Hey Mickey
Feb. 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
I have always clipped my horse when he was shedding. I don't want to do it earlier in the year because its so cold, and I figure I'm only riding him a couple times a week, he'll be fine.
Right now, he's a little fuzzy and I want to clip him b/c I'm riding more and he's getting sweaty but I'll probaly wait another week or too.
I've never had a problem with his hair coat growing in funny.

columbus
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:37 AM
The biggest problem would be clipping the summer coat underneath the winter coat and having to live with it until next fall. However if you need to you need to. PatO

deltawave
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:15 AM
Clip away. You won't hurt anything. He'll look like a clipped horse for a few weeks, just like at any other time of year, and then he'll be fine. :)

Hilary
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:22 AM
Yes, every year - and I have not noticed that the coat is different for the rest of the year - just those first few weeks. I agree, up here it's too cold to clip before they start to shed.

Now, where I DID notice a difference was last fall I gave her a neck/chest clip after her coat was about half-in because I was still working her and she would get hot. It stayed shorn all winter, with a few guard hairs poking out, but never fully grew in. (and she still wasn't ever cold!) So there is some truth to the idea that clipping mid-season will affect how it looks for a long time, but it doesn't seem to matter in the summer the way it does in the winter.

AnotherRound
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
He'll look like hell, but it can really save him from some of the warmer weather until he sheds out.

LauraKY
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:05 PM
One of ours was clipped this time last year. He was out on lease and for some reason, she decided it was necessary. I think he looked like hell for the summer (and prickly too). It clipped the ends of the summer coat, so no shiny coat for him last summer.

Why don't you vigorously groom him and maybe leave the stall lights on longer and blanket more heavily to encourage shedding. Must be some supplement that encourages shedding too, but I would rely on extra light.

vbunny
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:36 PM
Go ahead and clip him, he'll be fine. It's not like they only grow one hair from each follicle all year, the clipped ones will fall out too and new summer hair will grow in. People do it all the time.

snoopy
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:06 PM
Go ahead and clip him, he'll be fine. It's not like they only grow one hair from each follicle all year, the clipped ones will fall out too and new summer hair will grow in. People do it all the time.

agreed.

yellowbritches
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:49 PM
If a horse needs to be clipped, I clip, whether it is November, March, or July! It has NEVER done anything bad to their coat and most look MUCH better after clipping. I have a few qued up right now for a spring clip...if we ever get to ride at more than a walk again.

deltawave
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:53 PM
Clipped or no, vigorous and frequent currying will make even a scalped horse shine. :)

starkissed
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
I think he will look fine clipped. It won't mess up his summer coat. My horses shed bits here and there all year, even in the summer. After 1-2 weeks he will look much better than that "freshed clipped look". Although some colors take it better than others.
Bays def. look worse right off the bay because they lose that luster. But greys look a million times better

dogdays
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:42 PM
I clipped my fox hunters about every 4 weeks throughout the season and never had a ratty coat at the end of the season, just shiny dappled coats.

Robby Johnson
Feb. 26, 2010, 10:02 AM
Yes, every year - and I have not noticed that the coat is different for the rest of the year - just those first few weeks. I agree, up here it's too cold to clip before they start to shed.

Now, where I DID notice a difference was last fall I gave her a neck/chest clip after her coat was about half-in because I was still working her and she would get hot. It stayed shorn all winter, with a few guard hairs poking out, but never fully grew in. (and she still wasn't ever cold!) So there is some truth to the idea that clipping mid-season will affect how it looks for a long time, but it doesn't seem to matter in the summer the way it does in the winter.

This is why we clip again. :D

I agree with everyone else. The summer coat isn't this precious treasure below that is as fragile as people make it seem. As DW points out, routine currying will lift out shedding hair while stimulating oil production at the follicle level. Keep him clean, groom him as if he's shedding, keep him appropriately clothed, and he'll look spectacular.

I have clipped a horse every month of the year and have the same anecdotal feedback as yellowbritches. In fact, clipping is an essential part of my grooming/horse management protocol. When the coat doesn't promote easy evaporation of sweat - especially in summer - I clip.

snoopy
Feb. 26, 2010, 10:58 AM
This is why we clip again. :D

I agree with everyone else. The summer coat isn't this precious treasure below that is as fragile as people make it seem. As DW points out, routine currying will lift out shedding hair while stimulating oil production at the follicle level. Keep him clean, groom him as if he's shedding, keep him appropriately clothed, and he'll look spectacular.

I have clipped a horse every month of the year and have the same anecdotal feedback as yellowbritches. In fact, clipping is an essential part of my grooming/horse management protocol. When the coat doesn't promote easy evaporation of sweat - especially in summer - I clip.

Yes, I clip all year round and good grooming is the key. I find that my guys are healthier for having skin that can be reached and cleaned. No bumps, rubs, rot, etc. Makes life easier for all concerned. ISH's are quite wooley even in summer and I have found them to be much happier when clipped in the summer months.
If you live in a sunny climate and you have light coloured horses, be on the look out for sun burn.

retreadeventer
Feb. 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
OK I have two that need to be clipped and one is shedding like mad. Also we are not yet out of the woods in terms of winter, either. In fact, he's got the snow blowing up his ears today. I have a question, Clip Mavens, if I just do a bib or low trace on the dark colored horse will it look like crap for spring until the summer coat returns -- we are currying but it's still coming out every day. Not sure what to do either! Help.!

yellowbritches
Feb. 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
I, personally, would do a full clip (with the exception of the legs, unless you like doing that) this time of year. You do risk them looking pretty silly until they are quite done shedding, though I don't think it will do any long term cosmetic damage to the summer coat. Now, if you don't care or aren't planning on taking them out in public any time soon, then it doesn't matter. I was planning on doing something for Ruby Boy to get him through the rest of the winter...but then we got 30 inches of snow and his legging up got put on hold!

Hotspur
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:10 PM
My guy ends up with skin grungies in the spring unless he is clipped. Any sweat and dirt seems to just cling to that old winter hair, and, if he has a little breakout once he's clipped, it's easy to clear up, as the medicine goes straight on the problem spot, not goobered over a big hairy patch. Yes, he's a funny color and yes, he has a full wardrobe of blankets and sheets, but I honestly think it is healthier for him.

I keep his pasterns clipped a bit all of the time, since he gets scratches.

Firefox
Feb. 26, 2010, 08:15 PM
Just did three this week, and have had no problem with thier coats, go for it!