PDA

View Full Version : Holly Hill...good for first rec. BN outing?

SweetieG
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:27 PM
We've just moved from AL to MS so I don't know much about the events around here. For those of you who have shown at Holly Hill, what do you think? This would be my mare's first rec. HT. She has a few CTs under her belt (girth ;)) and one 3 phase at Tadpole. I do feel she is ready for BN although I know it won't be perfect.

I have the option of taking her to another schooling 3 phase that weekend, but I think I'm itching to go recognized. It would be my first in about 5 years.

I do like our outings to be positive and confidence-building so I guess I just want to make sure this is a good place to start.

We are planning to go school there in a couple of weeks (if the weather cooperates), but opening date is before that.

TIA!

ctbatlanta
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:29 PM
Holly Hill is a great event. They run a really nice event with great people. X-C quality is super with a course that flows so you won't get lost in the woods. Inviting jumps at BN - both on X-C and SJ. If you are confident than go for Rec HT at HH!

I took my senior BN horse so his first HT there a couple years ago - it was my first HT in over 30 years - we won! Just a well run HT - lots of fun!

purplnurpl
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:12 AM
BN is all logs.
at least that is what I remember.

The other levels are a bit tougher.

Holly Hill is my favorite venue in Area V.

Dezi
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:11 PM
Not all logs anymore!
Small coops, a small table, and down bank were on the course last fall. The water was a splash through, with a left had turn over a very small RR tie jump. It was a very beginner friendly course, with just enough decoration to get their attention, but not too over the top.

The biggest challenge is relaxation in the dressage, since the warm-up can get a bit crowded, and the rings are up near the start of XC. My mistake was to do my warm-up away from the action, but when I got in the ring my green bean was distracted by the XC folks. If I had done at least some work where he could see everything, he might have actually focused on me!

This year Novice for sure - watch out Purp!

Robby Johnson
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:21 PM
I love Holly Hill. And Dezi. I say go for it. You will be pleased you did.

From one Alabaman to another ...

eventerla
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
Holly Hill was my horse's first BN HT last fall. It went great! My horse has major confidence issues, but the course was very inviting. Holly Hill is the best!! Great people, and they put on a great show! They did have logs, an up bank, splash in the water, little table and coop, then a down bank. But like Dezi said it was very beginner friendly!! Go for it and have fun!! :)

tlw
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:45 PM
Another vote for a great event. I've only done training there but it is very well run and everybody associated with it are super nice and helpful.

SweetieG
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your information and encouragement. Hopefully we'll see you there! I'm nervous and excited already! :D

Trak_Eventer
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:24 PM
AWESOME event!! So much fun. We make the 11 hour drive to go to it. Was just there last weekend schooling xc! The course is beautiful. They put on a great event!

IrishWillow
Feb. 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
Awesome course. Well run and pretty. :)

archieflies
Feb. 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
Only thing I can add is that HH is a rain magnet!!!!!! Last spring we all rode in a monsoon! (But, the footing stayed GREAT!) My first ever XC was actually novice at HH, and it was still very inviting, but with just enough challenges. The BN has always looked very friendly.

Kairoshorses
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:31 AM
AWESOME event!! So much fun. We make the 11 hour drive to go to it. Was just there last weekend schooling xc! The course is beautiful. They put on a great event!

I make the 10 hour drive to go to it, too. I think it's a very friendly course, and really fine folks.

purplnurpl
Mar. 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
YIIPPEEEE! Entries are due!

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it!

HH will be the Scare Master's 1st Training level. whoot!

I just love the courses there.

Divine Comedy
Mar. 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
Yup, entries go in the mailbox tomorrow!

Super excited, we are moving up to Intermediate there! (And get to use the double bridle in dressage, which I have a strong feeling will get Dante's attention much better than the snaffle...)

purplnurpl
Mar. 1, 2010, 03:19 PM
Yippee!!! I'm so excited for Maggie and Dante's 1st Intermediate!

Did I mention I love HH?