PDA

View Full Version : Popular Eventing Areas

BUGGS2844
Feb. 24, 2010, 04:20 PM
I live in Aiken, SC and am researching other popular Eventing areas around the country. Any within commuting distance to cities with employment?? Unemployment rate is high in SC . . . :confused:

Eventingjunkie
Feb. 24, 2010, 06:32 PM
Washington DC metropolitan area, Richmond, Baltimore, Philadelphia

epsilonsporthorse
Feb. 24, 2010, 06:51 PM
southern pines, but i dont know if that would be much better

yellowbritches
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
DC Metro, yes (expensive). Baltimore, yes. Philidelphia, yes. Richmond, not so much. I left Richmond almost 8 years ago for the DC area so I could event. You CAN event from Richmond, but when you can travel to many, many events within an hour or so drive in the DC, Baltimore, and Philly areas, it makes Richmond seem like a silly idea (and I LOVE Richmond and miss it terribly. But I love eventing too much to go back!).

Wee Dee Trrr
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
Although we not definitely not the Eventing capital of the world, Area 8 is decent as far as eventing goes.
Area 8 = IN, KY, OH, MI, parts of WV and Penn.

Upside: there are MANY events within 3-5 hours, some as close as 1-2. Plus, IL and Tenn are not that far either. We have a TON of local schooling shows. Oh, and Rolex is here.

Downside: we have a definite off season. If you are a pro or looking to do intermediate or advanced, most people move south for the winter. If you're an ammy who does less than 10 shows a year (and you don't mind them all being from April - Oct) it's a great place.

I have no idea what our unemployment is like right now, thankfully I'm still in school.

VicariousRider
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:04 PM
Chester County PA is an eventing Mecca. I loved there for 4 years. BUT commuting to Philadelphia is rough. You have to give yourself 2 hours in rush hour. At 2AM with no traffic it is 45 minutes to an hour but you can't expect that during the day. HOWEVER.... you can EASILY commute from Wilmington, DE. It's 30 minutes usually. Maybe 45 at peak rush hour. There are tons of corporate headquarters in Wilmington for tax reasons but you didn't mention what you do.

Also, cost of living can vary a lot. If you live IN Unionville the land prices are very high. But if you live west of Route 41 (like Oxford, Jennersville, etc.) land is pretty cheap.

Good luck!

WakeRider
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
DC/Baltimore area... you can do an entire year April - November without driving more than 2 hrs. and work commute isn't too terrible.

sarah88
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:30 PM
Im originally from the richmond area so i have to agree that it is a bit of a hike to the recognized stuff! BUT i love the area, theres some really nice people who event, some good coaches, all different levels, there are a few nice unrecognized HT, ...and an overabundance of hunter/jumpers :O

(I am not sure about the unemployment ratings though im sure you could find it online somewhere)

VicariousRider
Feb. 24, 2010, 11:47 PM
Charlottesville VA is another horsey area with some good eventers (eg: Will Coleman, Dornin North). Maybe that was confused with Richmond? I am not sure how big the job market is there, though. Also, you will probably spend quite a bit of time traveling north in the summer and south in the winter to compete but at least you are in the middle! :)

pegasusmom
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:37 AM
southern pines, but i dont know if that would be much better

Southern Pines is not such a hot job market, but people often overlook Ft. Bragg - getting ready for a major command to move here from the Atlanta area and there are/will be lots of job opportunities.

wildlifer
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:03 PM
If you live on the S side of Raleigh, you are within easy reach of the S Pines area, but still close to HEAPS of jobs in Raleigh.

Catalina
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
Frederick MD. It is within an hour average of 20 something events in MD and VA. There are so many to choose from that you could show practically every single weekend for months.

Unfortunately, unemployment is about the same as the national average here, but it is not an impossible commute to Montgomery County and DC.

denny
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:43 PM
Fargo, North Dakota. No eventing, but cheap land?

Tamara in TN
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:45 PM
Fargo, North Dakota. No eventing, but cheap land?

yuck went there one time...that was all I needed <shudder>

Tamara in TN

Beam Me Up
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
I live in the DC metro (Northern VA) which has a LOT of eventing and a relatively stable job market because of the government presence. Not cheap though.

I grew up in New England (Vermont) and while the winters are no fun for riding/horsekeeping there is a decent eventing scene in the summers and things are relatively close together. I would think there would be plenty of job/commuting opportunities in ma/ct that would be in reasonable distance to a barn.

RAyers
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
I live in Aiken, SC and am researching other popular Eventing areas around the country. Any within commuting distance to cities with employment?? Unemployment rate is high in SC . . . :confused:

I think it depends on what you are qualified for and wish to do in your job. For instance, a lot of the hot evening areas suck in the othopaedic materials research area where I work so I could ride but I would also have to be able to repeat, "Do you want to super-size that?" hundreds of times a day to pay for the horses.

In some profession is as simple as choosing the area where you want to live. Others, you have to go to the region e.g. nuclear fuels, petroleum engineering,..., where the industries are.

Reed

BUGGS2844
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks to all the information. Couple of questions . . . I am just getting into Eventing at age 50, but LOVE it. So, that gives you an idea of my riding qualifications.
Southern Pines . . . Like the idea and would like to know more about the employment situation changing (when) in Ft. Bragg. I am an Administrative Assistant.

Raleigh - employment . . . Like this idea, too. Where would you suggest I look for property/small acreage rental w/home? Are there a lot of Eventing barns in between Raleigh and Southern Pines for pasture boarding and lessons on a regular basis?