PDA

View Full Version : Average height of upper level eventers...

HannahLeigh10
Feb. 24, 2010, 03:25 PM
I was wondering how tall horses running from Prelim-Adv. are??? Just looking at come of the XC questions it seems like it would be kinda difficult for a 17+hh horse to maneuver... Since they would have such a big stride. Just the thought floating around in my head today, lol.

subk
Feb. 24, 2010, 03:30 PM
One of the greatest U.S. eventers of the 20th century was Biko who I believe was just under 18 hands. Of course, I've heard KOC who rode him say when she walked a course she had to figure out what the intended striding was and then what the "Biko Striding" was.

Plenty of big guys out there, but I would guess the average is 16-16.1--probably because smaller horses tend to be easier to keep sound than a general performance problem for the larger horses.

HannahLeigh10
Feb. 24, 2010, 03:34 PM
Thats the height I was thinking, right around 16hh. It seems like they would be more handy that the bigger guys. But im sure the big guys are out there.

yellowbritches
Feb. 24, 2010, 04:20 PM
Just because it is a big horse, though, doesn't mean it isn't VERY adjustable. We had a horse that was right around Biko's size and one of his greatest attributes was his ability to go from a 20 ft stride to a 10 ft stride in a heartbeat.

And my hopeful UL horse, who is not quite 16.1, has a massive stride that I have to be careful with. Adjustabitly is key, no matter the size of the horse!

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 24, 2010, 04:27 PM
I was wondering how tall horses running from Prelim-Adv. are??? Just looking at come of the XC questions it seems like it would be kinda difficult for a 17+hh horse to maneuver... Since they would have such a big stride. Just the thought floating around in my head today, lol.

Stride length and horse size do not go hand in hand. I had a 16.3 horse....one of the BEST jumpers I've ever sat on and I've sat on some very good ones....super short stride. I always had to work on getting him to open it up.

I currently own a horse that is just over 17h who is aimed at the ULs...There are several that big or bigger out there competing. The question is if they are light enough and quick enough. Some 16 hand horses are not light and quick enough....it really isn't a height thing.

But most are in the 16.1-16.3 range. Below that is on the smaller side and above that tall side. But it is the individual horse that is more important than how tall or short he/she is.

lizajane09
Feb. 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
I would agree with BFNE that 16.1 - 16.3 is probably your average range. However, it's really very dependent on the individual horse! You have everything from Karen's Teddy at just under 14.2 to horses like Biko. My own mare is 17 h and going Intermediate, and should have no problem with Advanced when we're ready. Personally I like that the jumps seem a little smaller from up on her ;).

epsilonsporthorse
Feb. 24, 2010, 06:52 PM
from most i see 16-16.2... a true 16.3 is unusual to see on an eventing course

scubed
Feb. 24, 2010, 06:58 PM
Allison Springer's Arthur is 17 or 17.1
Courageous comet is 16.2
Jam looks 16.1 ish (but I don't know that)
I believe Truluck is 16.2

You can get a lot of the current horses heights, etc through googling them

InVA
Feb. 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
it depends on the horse. take Teddy for example.. 14.3? Most "averages" are 16 - 16. 2. Not huge, not tiny. Average.

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 24, 2010, 07:35 PM
from most i see 16-16.2... a true 16.3 is unusual to see on an eventing course

Perhaps it is where you are located....I have one that is 16.3 and she doesn't look tall in the warm ups around this area. One of mine is 16.1 and looks small compared to most in the warm up ring. Especially with me on him...as I'm 5'9".

Critical Decision is over 17H

There are quite a few larger horses out there...but often people don't guess the right size of a horse. My big horse people always over guess how large he is....but to ride him, he doesn't feel like a really big horse and in the end...that is what matters.

I've sat on 15 handers that were tanks I wouldn't take around novice...

horsetales
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:15 PM
I knew McKinlaigh was another big boy, but I had forgotten how big. From Gina's website McKinlaigh aptly dubbed “Big Mac” by Jim Wofford, stands 17.3 hands tall. Then you go down to Teddy around 14.2

cssutton
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
The reason there are more good horses in the 16 -16.3 range is that there are more horses foaled that mature to 16 - 16.3.

Think about it. If you went into a field that had 300 horses in it, how many would you expect to find 17+?

CSSJR

lizajane09
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
The reason there are more good horses in the 16 -16.3 range is that there are more horses foaled that mature to 16 - 16.3.

Think about it. If you went into a field that had 300 horses in it, how many would you expect to find 17+?

CSSJR

This is true if you're referring to the kind of horses we tend to use for eventing. If you went into a field full of draft horses, the answer is plenty. A field full of Welsh ponies, none. But neither of those are particularly common in the eventing world, especially at the upper levels, because they tend not to be as successful as, say, a TB or ISH. So one might say that the size and the function are correlated, though one doesn't necessarily cause the other, if that makes sense?

tx3dayeventer
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
The mare that I rode Advanced was 17.2H without shoes! She was the most adjustable horse I have ever sat on!!!!

Like everyone said.... it doesn't matter the size but the rate-ability and the adjust-ability of the stride.

Holly was honest-to-god 17.2H but could adjust down to a 9 foot stride easily and then take about a stride and be on a 16 foot stride and then right back to a 9 foot. Jim really made us practice the adjustability!

cssutton
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
This is true if you're referring to the kind of horses we tend to use for eventing. If you went into a field full of draft horses, the answer is plenty. A field full of Welsh ponies, none. But neither of those are particularly common in the eventing world, especially at the upper levels, because they tend not to be as successful as, say, a TB or ISH. So one might say that the size and the function are correlated, though one doesn't necessarily cause the other, if that makes sense?

I thought we were discussing event horses.

If we were, all of your post is totally immaterial.

If not, then maybe we could discuss the height of elephants.

How many hands is a giraffe?

CSSJR

lizajane09
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:46 AM
I thought we were discussing event horses.

If we were, all of your post is totally immaterial.

If not, then maybe we could discuss the height of elephants.

How many hands is a giraffe?

CSSJR

Your statement, though, was that there are more horses (in general) foaled between those heights. As for horses overall, that may not be a true statement - but in the context of the horses that we choose to use for eventing, I was agreeing with you. Just saying that it's not that there are simply more horses (of any kind) out there in the world that are that height, but that there tend to be more of that height if you only consider the horses we tend to use for eventing. So the reason that's the average height is less a function of what is out there in the world, but the types of horses that we choose. If you meant "a field full of 300 event-type horses", then I absolutely agree with you, but since that wasn't specified I wasn't sure what hypothetical field you were necessarily referring to. Since we did say horses, I really don't think there's any need to discuss giraffes or elephants ;).

Jazzy Lady
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:19 AM
My guy is 17h and extremely adjustable. Actually the add is easier on him than leaving one out, especially as the fences get bigger (self preservation and all that ;))

He was competing intermediate and combinations were never a problem. Boldness was. If we could get our act back together, advanced would be easy for him.

cssutton
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:22 AM
You are right, of course.

I should have qualified it.

If the field were full of European bred horses, the average height also would have gone up.

I tend to think TB's since that is my choice by far.

CSSJR

lizajane09
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:25 AM
I tend to think TB's since that is my choice by far.

CSSJR

That I will definitely agree with - I love TBs :). Even though mine is slightly overgrown at 17h!

cssutton
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:16 AM
I am not an eventer. I am a foxhunter, private pack.

The reason I am interested in this thread is that I had a very good TB just a hair under 17h who died of colic.

I like a big horse so I swore that I would have nothing less than 16.2, preferably 16.3 to 17h.

Uphill, withers like a camel, dark bay preferred.

NO to grays or chestnuts.

NO mares.

I like to work with green or problem horses, so I was looking at horses in the lower price ranges.

Well, the only big guys I could find were already someone's made horse and either not for sale or for sale at a really big number.

Well, I had to have something because the season is running out and I need a horse now.

So I let a OTTB rescue operator talk me into this barely 16h 1/2 chestnut gelding. Not uphill, slightly crooked one fore, pasterns a wee bit too long but not really long...just because he is nice and quiet. A few problems that need to be worked out, but no vicious or mean streak. Mostly what you expect from an OTTB that has never been out of the ring or off the track.

Surprise!

He turns out to be a jewel. The kind that once he gets it, he really has got it.

So all of a sudden 16h and 1/2 is big enough for me.

CSSJR

sisu27
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:26 AM
Is it just me or has the "average" gotten bigger? I seem to remember thinking that average was 15 hands....now 16 seems to be average. I don't get that lots of people won't even look at anything under 16 hands.

But then again we try for size in everything in North America....King Dobermans/GSDs. Weird, wrong and not healthy.

How big is Esker Riada? I always marvel at how tiny Cayla Kitayama (sp?) looks on that horse.

yellow rose eventing
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:16 AM
My current 3* horse is a full on 17.2. My young Preliminary horse is 16.3. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I'm 5'2. But I make it work.

A very nice mare fell in my lap last fall and she's maybe 15.2 or 3. And she's super. Way above average jumper. I feel good about her size.

Doesn't really matter so long as they can run and jump I think.

Jazzy Lady
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:19 AM
My current 3* horse is a full on 17.2. My young Preliminary horse is 16.3. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I'm 5'2. But I make it work.

Because when you are short, you feel a hell of a lot better galloping up to honkin' huge fences on a super big horse. That's how I justify it.

cssutton
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:35 AM
In discussions like this, one should never forget Battleship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_(horse)

http://www.donblazer.com/ahorseofcourse/battleship_0106_nn4.html

http://www.spiletta.com/UTHOF/battleship.html

I can't recall where it was, but in one of his famous races he jumped both the fence and a loose horse.

And in the show horse world, there was Little Squire, who made Mickey Walsh famous.

CSSJR

Beam Me Up
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:57 AM
Agree they seem to be getting bigger as a group.
Probably because we have increasing numbers of warmbloods who are bigger and bringing the average up.
I think there are more 17h than 15.2 at the upper levels.
I had a 15.3 TB who was not even that upper level (prelim) and it seemed like he was always the smallest in the warm-up.

Height and build are so variable though. Doesn't seem like a couple inches in any direction is as important as conformation strength and balance in terms of shortening and lengthening.