PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in Aiken?

Flipper
Feb. 24, 2010, 02:07 PM
So my horse-tolerant hubby & I are thinking of going down to Aiken area for a weekend 'getaway' (well, I'm thinking about it, he's going along with it) - probably March 12-14. I've never been there, but want to scope it out for bringing my horse down next year. I thought we'd check out Charleston on friday, & then head over to Aiken for sat/sun. We'd check out Full Gallop & Jumping Branch. Anyplace else we should see while we're there? Favorite restaurants? Recommendations on where to stay?

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 24, 2010, 02:23 PM
So my horse-tolerant hubby & I are thinking of going down to Aiken area for a weekend 'getaway' (well, I'm thinking about it, he's going along with it) - probably March 12-14. I've never been there, but want to scope it out for bringing my horse down next year. I thought we'd check out Charleston on friday, & then head over to Aiken for sat/sun. We'd check out Full Gallop & Jumping Branch. Anyplace else we should see while we're there? Favorite restaurants? Recommendations on where to stay?

Takosushi....fun restaurant. Lots of decent hotels/motels...depends on if you have dogs with you or not. If no dog, then I would stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. Downtown is the Aiken Inn which is walking distance to nice resturants and bars. But there are a lot of places to choose from....including some nice B&Bs.

Have fun!

scubed
Feb. 24, 2010, 03:26 PM
If you want to/can afford the splurge, stay at the Willcox Inn. That is what got my DH down several years in a row. Favorite restaurant is Malia's. I also quite luck Up Your Alley, which is a more pubby, less fancy place.

ravenclaw
Feb. 24, 2010, 03:31 PM
Juniper is my favorite restaurant in the Aiken area. It's in Ridge Spring, about 20 minutes from downtown Aiken.

If you like Italian food, I recommend Oliv'a. It is in the heart of downtown Aiken, on Laurens Street.

cranky
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
I second TakoSushi -- loved it! Also enjoyed the Aiken Brewery.

Mariequi
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
Aw, you discovered it! I'm a couple of miles from Ridge Spring, in Monetta, so 10 miles from Aiken. Juniper was the first thing I found here. Then Big Mo, the drive-in with first run movies!