PDA

View Full Version : Get in shape for spring - motivational help!

StefffiC
Feb. 24, 2010, 12:01 PM
I want to get my guy fit for spring; I'm down to one horse now, and he's getting up in years (18) and I'd like to have him fit this year.

Rode Saturday and Sunday and last night. Been mapping my rides on Google maps - 2.78 miles last night in 45 minutes, so not too shabby. 10.63 on Sunday in 2 hours and change, Saturday I didn't map.

My plan is to ride Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday and Sunday.

I need motivational support to ride in the muck we have here now!!

prudence
Feb. 24, 2010, 12:04 PM
You go grill!

Huntertwo
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
It sounds like you're off to a great start...:yes:

StefffiC
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
Headed out to ride tonight - High today is 41, low tonight is 21, and 20mph sustained winds. With the wind and saturated ground I don't want to ride in the woods, not sure where I'll head tonight. Want to get 4 - 5 miles in and ride for an hour.

Brrrrrrr

showhorsegallery
Feb. 25, 2010, 11:01 AM
I recommend keeping a wall calendar somewhere you will see it everyday. Draw boxes around the days you PLAN on riding with small writing saying what you plan to do.

Then when you do it, cross it off with a big X.

This is what I did for myself when I was trying to motivate myself to work out. I stuck the Calendar on my fridge. After 30 days it became a habit. A few months later, I had fallen off the wagon. I'm back to doing the Calendar and it's been really motivating because at the end of the month I see all the days I've crossed off and I can read what I did and see the improvement from running only 30 minutes a day at the beginning of the month to running 45 mins plus 30 minutes weightlifting plus 30 mins abs a day.

Huntertwo
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:55 PM
Headed out to ride tonight - High today is 41, low tonight is 21, and 20mph sustained winds. With the wind and saturated ground I don't want to ride in the woods, not sure where I'll head tonight. Want to get 4 - 5 miles in and ride for an hour.

Brrrrrrr

I'm jealous!!! It has been raining here non-stop for a few days.

I can't wait to move to the new barn and hit the trails!!! I don't need motiviation...lol :)

StefffiC
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'm jealous!!! It has been raining here non-stop for a few days.

I can't wait to move to the new barn and hit the trails!!! I don't need motiviation...lol :)

This has been the wettest winter on record since the 30's for us, and the coldest since 1976. :cry: Our trails are muddy swamps, the creek that we cross to get out to most of the trails has been unpassable most of winter.

I don't want to post a google map of my trails because my BO lives there and it's just not nice to do to her, but suffice to say 90% of my trails on 'my' side of the creek are flood plain. Guess I'll go into the subdivision across the street where no one lives and no houses are built and ride the roads for 4 miles tonight.

I want dry weather. Cold I can deal with, but the fetlock deep mud is a bit excessive!